Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.13.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you ever use the Episode II menu entry to launch the campaign?

Poll ended at August 6th, 2020, 4:21 am

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 12

ShadowWalker

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by ShadowWalker »

The Royal Meeting story scenario is broken for me, most of the time the screen is just black. After trying around a bit I was able to get it to work by removing the {FULLSCREEN_CUTSCENE_UI} macro.

I wonder if is a problem just on my system? And if so what could be the cause of it?

Wesnoth version 1.14.9
Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.1
OSX 10.11.6
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

*peeks out from behind the curtain*

I've definitely not been hiding all this time.
ShadowWalker wrote: January 11th, 2020, 4:46 pm The Royal Meeting story scenario is broken for me, most of the time the screen is just black. After trying around a bit I was able to get it to work by removing the {FULLSCREEN_CUTSCENE_UI} macro.

I wonder if is a problem just on my system? And if so what could be the cause of it?
This and similar issues in other campaigns should be fixed in Wesnoth 1.14.13 (or more specifically 1.14.10 and later), but if somehow it keeps happening I'd be interested in a bug report through the official support channels for Wesnoth since I'm responsible for the engine fix in 1.14.10.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.2 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.2 is out!

Surprisingly enough, not much has happened on this front. Like, really nothing at all. I mean, this is such a high-quality campaign it has basically not required any maintenance work since 2.1.1 because it basically maintains itself or something? I know, sounds crazy.

There are some bug fixes in this version, certainly, and I think they are listed below. Maybe? Probably? I don't remember.

Oh yeah, need to mention this important little detail: if you are playing with music enabled, you will need to upgrade the IftU Music add-on to version 0.3.2 since this release uses a couple of tracks introduced in that version. If you are using the game's Update All functionality then it should all be done for you and you don't need to worry about anything at all, though. Just... push the button I guess.

The complete changelog for this version of IftU follows:

Code: Select all

Version 2.1.2:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200621.
  * Updated art licenses for CC BY-NC-ND 4.0, CC BY-SA 4.0 and CC0 content.

* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Anlindë Elvish Avatar.

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: French (Naia only), Russian (complete).

* Music:
  * Added Telaron's Climactic Contemplation and Western_Theme2 to IftU Music

* Scenarios:
  * S2 - A Real Confrontation:
    * Don't scroll back to Lédinor when he remarks on the newly recruited demon
      (fixes #64)
  * S7 - Goliath:
    * Made it more practical to find and obtain the Void Armor item.
  * S10 - The Source of Light:
    * Fixed Berserker Potion increasing the unit's HP pool without increasing
      its current HP as well.
  * S16 - Dawn of War
    * Properly displayed gold carryover bonus in the objectives after defeating
      enemies (fixes #50).
  * S19 - Under the Sands
    * Clarified objectives (fixes #52).

* Units:
  * Chaos Cardinal migrated to Naia and expanded with a new baseframe by VYNLT
    and slightly different stats over the mainline Ancient Lich.
  * Use 1.14 rodent fangs icon for the Rabbit's incisors attack.
  * Chaos Hound line is now considered part of the wolves race and receives
    names and traits accordingly.
  * Implemented a more elegant way to disable Enchantress advancement to Sylph
    (fixes #38).
  * Terror ability no longer affects same-level units.
The complete changelog for the included version of Naia follows:

Version 20200621:
-----------------
* General:
  * Updated art licenses for CC BY-NC-ND 4.0, CC BY-SA 4.0 and CC0 content.

* Terrains:
  * Fixed Wall Moss terrain not having working graphics when playing IftU
    instead of AtS.

Version 20200620:
-----------------
* Lua and WML library:
  * Added [fade_to_black] and [fade_in] to the list of skippable actions to
    solve issues with terrains remaining in dark screen mode when skipping
    certain cutscenes using them, e.g. AtS E3S1.
  * Patch a border case with FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT in Wesnoth 1.14 affecting
    scenarios such as AtS E3S3.
  * Added a mechanism to inject global events without relying on [campaign].
  * Major characters with AMLA upgrades available now have their XP bar
    displayed in blue.
  * Added [item_prompt] and adapted IftU's PICK_UP macro to make use of it.
  * Added UNIT_SPEAKS_FOR_UNDEAD_MINION* from IftU.
  * Fixed [invert_direction] yielding north for north.
  * Added [no_op].
  * Added [variable_in] and [position_equals] WML conditional tags.
  * Added VARIABLE_IF_ELSE, VARIABLE_POS_EQUALS, VARIABLE_LEXICAL_IN utility
    macros.

* Units:
  * Chaos Cardinal migrated from IftU and expanded with a new baseframe by
    VYNLT and slightly different stats over the mainline Ancient Lich:
    * 80 HP -> 89 HP
    * Melee 8-4 -> 9-3, plague(Ghoul) weapon special added
  * Door unit event handlers now have unique ids.
  * Chaos Hound unit line now belongs to the wolf race, giving them traits and
    names accordingly.
  * Removed overlong death animation for the Aragwaith Lancer that only uses
    the baseframe as a placeholder.
  * Terror ability no longer affects same-level units.

* Terrains:
  * Migrated Flat and Rough Overlay terrains from AtS.

Okay, I know what you are all thinking right now. "Iris it's been like 2 freakin' years and the world is ending, where the heck is After the Storm for Wesnoth 1.14?" And I know you want answers. So... Give me just a little moment here...
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Major_Swampy

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.2 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Major_Swampy »

Well darn, I just completed the prequel IftU (alternative): The Dark Master, and now this campaign are just updated.
Spoiler:
PS.:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.3 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.3 is out now.

As far as I know, there weren't any game-breaking bugs in IftU 2.1.2/AtS 0.10.0 (except the one, see below). However, there was one thing that I was working on for AtS 0.10.0 back in October which I had to postpone in order to get the first release out within a reasonable timeframe, and which I actually somehow managed to rewrite thrice finish up over the past couple of days.

AMLA browser display
Screenshot_20200625_022502.png
Screenshot_20200625_022502.png (149.51 KiB) Viewed 9276 times
Screenshot_20200625_015537.png
This release of IftU/AtS includes a new Unit Advancements option in the context menu for units such as Anlindë and Elynia who have AMLAs other than the game's default +3 HP AMLA. If you somehow haven't heard of AMLAs before, they are generally upgrades a unit that has already reached its maximum level can get as it reaches 100% experience again.

The drawback of having custom AMLAs is that they've always been considered third-class citizens by Wesnoth's UI, since the game wasn't originally designed with unit advancements and other RPG-like stuff in mind. Even in version 1.15.3 they exist in this weird limbo where the engine supports them fully but doesn't provide a proper interface to visualize them. I wrote the Naia Unit Advancements dialog with the intent of bridging the gap a bit and hopefully inspiring people to re-use it in their own add-ons or, in the best case, get a similar solution implemented into the game itself at a later point.

AMLAs in this release of the campaigns remain otherwise completely unchanged. Note that the Unit Advancements option does not appear for units that do not have any non-default AMLAs; and in particular, it will not appear for Anlindë before she reaches level 4 for the first time. Once there are eligible units around, however, you will get reminded of the existence of the option exactly once on the next playable turn.

Replay OOS issues fixed

Coincidentally, while working on the above and with gfgtdf's extensive help, I found a solution for a rather elusive issue that has affected IftU since version 2.1.1 and AtS since the first 1.14-compatible internal releases. Basically, the feature that made it possible to skip cutscenes completely by pressing Escape also made it so a couple of seemingly inoffensive WML actions ([move_unit_fake] and [move_units_fake]) would be skipped as well, thereby causing the engine's internal unit counter not to be incremented. Turns out this is a really Bad Thing™ for replays (and multiplayer) resulting in OOS errors if you don't make sure to skip cutscenes at the exact same point in both live games and the resulting replays.

This release fixes the issue by making [move_unit_fake] no longer bump the internal unit counter regardless of whether it's being skipped or not. Wesnoth 1.15.4 is gonna ship with a nearly identical fix, but 1.14.x versions are stuck with the existing behaviour in order to avoid breaking multiplayer and replay synchronization across the board.

Other than those two points, this is a rather boring release for IftU in particular. On the plus side, you don't need to restart the campaign to benefit from the changes.

Version 2.1.3:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200625.
  * Fixed OOS errors caused by Naia's cutscene skip functionality, first
    introduced in version 2.1.1.

* Scenarios:
  * Added a hint to all scenarios about browsing through unit AMLAs. This is
    only displayed once per save and it is triggered by Anlindë reaching level
    4 for the first time, or by Elynia existing on the game map.

Version 20200625:
-----------------
* Lua and WML library:
  * Add `table_size`, `table_empty`, `table_keys`, `table_merge` global functions.
  * Moved `AMLA_VITALITY` macro from AtS.
  * Fixed OOS errors in replays due to cutscene skipping with `[move_unit_fake]`
    causing the unit counter to desync (After the Storm #68).

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: Spanish (complete).

* Units:
  * Added a context menu option to browse through custom AMLAs for player units
    that have them (e.g. the protagonists of IftU and AtS) (issue #3, After the
    Storm #69, Invasion from the Unknown #70).
  * Revised race descriptions: Shaxthals.
  * Revised unit descriptions: Water Tidal, Water Spirit, Aragwaith Sorceress,
    Aragwaith Guard, Aragwaith Greatbow, Aragwaith Swordsmaster.
Have fun! 💜
HenryY2020

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.3 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by HenryY2020 »

In S7- Goliath, I don't know how to get the Void Armor. The author said it's more practical but I can't find any clues on how to do so. Can anyone here help me with this?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

HenryY2020 wrote: July 4th, 2020, 3:59 am In S7- Goliath, I don't know how to get the Void Armor. The author said it's more practical but I can't find any clues on how to do so. Can anyone here help me with this?
It's more practical in the sense that you should be able to do it without running into the turn limit or triggering the boss fight, but it's still kind of an easter egg item more than something you're supposed to be able to find on your own since it's very OP compared to anything else you can get in the campaign.
Mildly spoilery version:
Full spoilery version:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Okay, time for a poll.

Major IftU spoilers ahead, as well as some mild spoilers for AtS.

Originally, IftU was a single campaign, internally arranged in 4 "episodes" or acts, with no gameplay implications beyond the presence of a boss at the end of each one:
  • Episode 1: S1 (Border Patrol) through S7 (The Elf versus Goliath / Goliath boss scenario)
  • Episode 2: S8 (Errand of Hope) through S13 (Face your Fate / Chaos Warlord boss scenario)
  • Episode 3: S14 (Bye and Behold) through S18 (Armageddon / Armageddon Imp boss scenario*)
  • Episode 4: S19 (Wesmere) through S23 (Interim+Welcome to the Lair+Broken Heart / Chaos Emperor boss scenario) + S24 (Epilogue)
* In later versions the scenario in question gradually mutated into what is now S17 Voice of the Armageddon, the Chaos Cardinal/Mal Hekuba boss scenario.

Later, during IftU's brief existence as a candidate for mainline inclusion, I did some work on rearranging the campaign's structure. Because one of the concerns brought up was its length, it ended up with two episodes, available in the Campaigns menu as two different campaign entries:
  • Episode I: Seeking the Light: S1 (Border Patrol) through S13 (Face your Fate / Chaos Warlord boss scenario)
  • Episode II: Armageddon: S14 (Bye and Behold) through S23 (Into the Lair+Until Death+Broken Heart / Chaos Emperor boss scenario) + S24 (Epilogue)
The reason I made both episodes available in the Campaigns menu was that I felt that potentially it would be possible to completely split the campaign into two at the S14 mark without impacting the gameplay significantly. Back then there wasn't any functionality in the game engine to allow sharing information across campaigns, so people would have been forced to start Episode 2 without a recall list. Because of balancing concerns, I never made a proper effort to finalize the split. Moreover, as AtS' development resumed and its own Episode 1 was completed, I started to get a lot of complaints about the fact that the player's progress couldn't be transferred over to Episode 2; and also, people complained that their progress in IftU couldn't be transferred over to AtS. Much later, Wesnoth's implementation of persistent variables to share information across campaigns matured enough to solve the problem on the AtS side of things.

However, the fact remains that IftU wasn't really designed with a hard episode split in mind, from a gameplay perspective. And while it should be more than possible for me right now to force the split at S14 and allow transferring the player's progress over to IftU Episode 2, I'm not terribly convinced it makes sense to force an unnecessary pause there where the player must go back to the main menu and select Episode 2 to continue, as opposed to just clicking Continue Player at the intermission screen (present since IftU 2.0).

The current approach of having an optional split right before S14 also has the big drawback (for some) that the victory laurels on the Campaigns menu and difficulty selection dialogs most of the time do not reflect the player's actual progress. Because of Wesnoth's design, the entry for Episode 2 in the Campaigns menu is technically an entirely separate campaign, with its own title and internal id; it just happens to share almost all of the code and assets with Episode 1.

So one thing I am considering right now is dropping the Episode 2 entry in the Campaigns menu entirely. This would mean bringing IftU back to the monolithic campaign format for good, which to be honest would make some of the underlying code much simpler, especially if Galas and Mal Keshar get their advancement trees implemented later. The question is whether anyone really feels that the Episode 2 entry still has some value in spite of all the inconveniences it causes for me and the confusion it causes for everyone else.

If you have an opinion, thoughts, etc. on this matter, feel free to share them here. Otherwise, there's a good chance that the Episode 2 entry will just go away entirely in version 2.2.0 (which is also likely to be the version to introduce unique unit types and AMLAs for Galas and Mal Keshar along with AtS 0.11.0).

The poll is now available at the top of this thread.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Voted "no" in the poll. I agree with Iris that having two campaign entry points needlessly complicates things, and it could also be a pain in the ass to balance properly.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.4.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.4 2.1.4.1 is out.

Almost all maps got a few minor visual enhancements. That's about it, really.

Oh. Right. There's a few fixes for OOS issues related to user interfaces showing up in the middle of replays.

Version 2.1.4.1:
----------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200724.1.

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: Russian (complete).

Version 2.1.4:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200724.
  * Replaced deprecated Lua API calls.
  * Made first-time character introductions prompt replay-safe.

* Scenarios:
  * Cosmetic changes to the maps for the following scenarios: S1, S2, S3, S4,
    S5a, S5b, S6, S7, S8, S8x, S9, S10, S10x, S11, S12, S13, S14, S15, S16,
    S17, S19, S19x, S20, S21, S22B, S14x, S14z.
  * S23A - Into the Lair:
    * Added snowfall effect to the starting area.
  * S24 - Epilogue:
    * Minor UI tweaks.

Version 20200724.1:
-------------------
* Language and i18n:

Version 20200724:
-----------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Giant Ant.

* Language and i18n:

* Lua and WML library:
  * Added `[variable_default]` and `VARIABLE_DEFAULT` macro.
  * Fixed collectable items prompt triggering during replays and causing OOS
    issues, as well as not behaving properly on keyboard Enter/Esc presses.
  * Removed `hex_facing` function and its implementation details, superseded by
    mainline APIs in version 20200620.
  * Added `opposite=` option to `[set_facing]`, along with an `OPPOSITE_FACING`
    macro for the `FACE_*` utility macros.

* Terrains:
  * Added snow and rain weather effects.
  * Added snowy and dead oak Great Tree variants from Archaic Resources.
  * Fixed some technical terrains being available in the Help browser.

* Units:
  * Added a hint for partially-locked advancement trees (AtS E1 and E2) to the
    Unit Advancements dialog.
  * Added an option to toggle back to the on-map unit stats to the Unit
    Advancements dialog.
  * Units of the spirits race now get the mainline elemental trait instead of
    the custom spirit trait. Note that this makes them not receive the
    `not_living` status anymore.

Have fun! 💜
zbtb7

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.4.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by zbtb7 »

Yo,
long time fan of this campaign here, and I'd like to say I really appeciate all the work you've done and keep doing throughout the years. Do you have any general prediction about when is the next update going out? No pressure, I'd just like to know if it's good idea to wait for the new AMLAs and (possibly) merged campaigns or I should just go on with it now :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.4.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

The next release (2.1.5) is slated to be primarily a bug fix release in addition to bringing several unit balance changes for IftU S14 onwards. But no, the AMLAs for Mal Keshar and Galas aren't going to arrive any time soon. They will come with IftU 2.2.0 and AtS 0.11.0, but that's going to take me a few months at the very least since they involve more intricate planning and extra playtesting to avoid upsetting both gameplay and lore — and in Galas' case it will also most certainly involve new baseframes.

Merging both episodes is really just a matter of removing the second entry in the Campaigns menu, and won't impact gameplay otherwise.

As for what I mean by balance changes for S14+ in version 2.1.5:
SPOILERS and preliminary information heavily subject to change:
2.1.5 will probably be out at some point this week or next week.
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.8 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

EDIT 2020-08-16: Version 2.1.8 was released as minor follow-up update rebasing IftU on top of Naia 20200816.
EDIT 2020-08-14: Version 2.1.7 was released as minor follow-up update rebasing IftU on top of Naia 20200814.
EDIT 2020-08-10: Version 2.1.6 was released as minor follow-up update rebasing IftU on top of Naia 20200810 and updating the Russian translation.

Version 2.1.5 is out!

On the IftU-specific side, this is mostly a quality-of-life release with a few bug fixes and technical improvements. Of note is that a certain cutscene scenario near the end of the campaign is now technically a single scenario instead of two.

However, since IftU shares a large part of its codebase with AtS now, this release also brings forth a number of unit balance changes.

SPOILERS for the WHOLE of IftU ahead.
Faerie Sprite unit line

This unit line received some minor buffs, which means that now they mostly match the stats of their Genesis counterparts, with the exception that they are still considered a luxury item — instead of bringing the Faerie Sprite's cost down from 21 to 17, IftU 2.1.5/AtS 0.10.6 only lowers the cost to 20.

The Chaos Magus and Chaos Lorekeeper see their resistance to arcane damage increased by 10% (to 10% and -10% respectively). This should reduce the cheese potential for Wraiths and Spectres somewhat (but see below).

Chaos Cardinal

Mal Hekuba has a new zeal support ability, which increases resistances and damage of adjacent lower-level allies as follows:
  • Resistances are increased by 30%, capped at 60% for non-arcane damage, and 30% for arcane damage.
  • Damage dealt is increased by 15% times the level difference between Mal Hekuba and each of his allies. Yes, this is essentially a softer version of leadership.
My original intent when designing the ability was to have it be far more impactful, but unfortunately I realized a bit too late that the feature I was relying on does not, in fact, exist in Wesnoth 1.14. I will definitely revisit it at a later time once I don't need to support Wesnoth 1.14 anymore.

In addition to the above, he also gains a new necrosis weapon special for his melee attack. I suspect this is not going to come into play very often beyond dissuading people from using living units in melee against him. Necrosis infects the victim with a powerful poison that deals 10 HP damage per turn. Should the unit die for any reason before necrosis is cured in a village or by an allied unit capable of curing poison, the unit will be replaced by a Ghoul. Kind of cosmetic, really. If you lose units to this weapon special then I have questions to ask.

It should be noted that units affected by necrosis can rest-heal. This wasn't my intention originally, but I decided to consider it a feature. Rest-healing essentially buys you additional time to regroup since the effect will then effectively only deal 8 HP damage for that turn. Now, I know you are wondering right now if poison and necrosis can be combined for a 18 HP damage per turn bomb. The answer is yes.

While Mal Hekuba being able to use necrosis shouldn't be a big deal in and of itself, I have other plans for the future involving that weapon special.

Demon unit line

Hitpoints for this unit line were increased very slightly. Nothing too major for now. I'm reluctant to do much more to these since they are the starter enemies for IftU alongside the Chaos humans, and no AMLAs are available to the player when they are first found.

Shaxthal units

All Shaxthals with the exception of named bosses in IftU and AtS have their arcane resistance increased from -10% to 0%. This basically brings them in line with orcs and dwarves. The original reasoning for the Shaxthals having negative arcane resistance has seriously decayed overtime, especially once AtS development properly took off. The Spectre spam meta is a fun cheese gimmick and I'm not entirely opposed to it, but there isn't a storyline justification for it anymore. It doesn't help that some of the player's hero units underwent damage creep in IftU 2.1.0 and AtS 0.10.0 with the addition of AMLAs (with Galas and Mal Keshar to come soon).

Because of this, not only is the Shaxthal's arcane resistance at the baseline now instead of under it, but also their health pools are somewhat higher in general. I'm not going to list the individual numbers here because they are listed as part of the Naia changelog below, but some units had more drastic increases than others.

The Shaxthal Worm is slightly more annoying now with its burrow ability, which allows it to remain concealed within stone/cave walls. This is really just a cosmetic thing much like the Shaxthal Worm's very existence.

Finally, the Shaxthal Protector Drone was somehow slower than its level 1 counterpart all this time, which seems wrong and is fixed in this release. I'm pretty sure that's just a copy-paste mistake that somehow escaped notice for 13 years. Either that or I forgot something that past me decided about that unit line — I will have to strongly disagree with her if there was a proper rationale for the downgrade. Maybe it had something to do with Shaxthal Runner Drones being able to advance to Shaxthal Sentry Drones back in the day.

While neither IftU nor AtS support Wesnoth 1.15.x at the moment (and when they do, it will be 1.15.4 or later only), this release set does bring them a little bit closer to achieving that goal by revising some technical aspects that were already problematic or deprecated in 1.13.x. There's still a long way to go, but I'm confident that this time I will be able to provide 1.15.x support early and not be stuck for another 2 years looking at a broken codebase before managing to port it to the next stable series.

Oh, and before I go, Mal Hekuba doesn't look like the 1.2 - 1.10 version of Mal Ravanal anymore. Rejoice.

Version 2.1.5:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200808.
  * Replaced instances of `[unit] placement=` deprecated in 1.14 with newer
    syntax.

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: Russian.

* Scenarios:
  * Updated maps for the following scenarios to use (or not use) the sconce
    terrain overlay instead of the Lit Stone Wall terrain deprecated in 1.16:
    S7, S21, S22A, S23B.
  * S8 - Errand of Hope:
    * Fixed the poisonous bow animation using the unit's original baseframe
      even after leveling up (issue #69).
  * S14 - Bye and Behold:
    * Fixed "turns run out" not being listed as a loss condition.
  * S15 - Shadows of Time:
    * Fixed "turns run out" not being listed as a loss condition.
  * S23Bx/S23By - Do Us Part:
    * Merged scenarios (issue #66).
    * Minor UI and scripting refinements.

Version 20200808:
-----------------
* Graphics:
  * Added Wight by Santiago Iborra (for WTactics.org/Arcmage.org) as a
    replacement placeholder for Mal Hekuba's portrait.

* Language and i18n:

* Lua and WML library:
  * Added `table_dump` function to return a user-readable string representation
    of a table for debugging purposes.
  * Added `opposite=` option to `[store_direction]`.
  * Added `[unit_location_is_passable]` WML conditional tag.
  * Added `OVERWRITE` and `PASSABLE` utility macros for `[unit]` placement
    options.
  * Added `register_unit_status_display()` function to implement a cleaner API
    for adding new unit status display items (dehydration, stunned, etc.).
  * Moved all IftU and AtS AI macros, presets, and engines into Naia.

* Terrains:
  * Fixed Dark Hive terrain transitions drawing through stone walls.
  * Fixed Dark Hive Cells being drawn over certain transitions (especially
    stone walls and castle/keep walls).

* Units:
  * Fixed obscures ability not really doing anything (PR #2).
  * Increased base Shaxthal resistances to arcane damage from -10% to 0%.
  * Increased Chaos Magus resistance to arcane damage from 0% to 10%.
  * Increased Chaos Lorekeeper resistance to arcane damage from -20% to -10%.
  * Gave Shaxthal Worm the burrow ability (hides in walls, deals 50% more
    damage on defense)
  * Increased Shaxthal Drone's HP from 28 to 32.
  * Increased Shaxthal Sentry Drone's HP from 46 to 51.
  * Increased Shaxthal Enforcer Drone's HP from 62 to 65.
  * Increased Shaxthal Assault Drone's HP from 42 to 47.
  * Increased Shaxthal War Drone's HP from 56 to 62.
  * Increased Shaxthal Runner Drone's HP from 29 to 31.
  * Increased Shaxthal Protector Drone's HP from 38 to 45.
  * Increased Shaxthal Rayblade's HP from 36 to 39.
  * Increased Shaxthal Stormblade's HP from 49 to 54.
  * Increased Shaxthal Razorbird's HP from 26 to 28.
  * Increased Shaxthal Thunderbird's HP from 39 to 41.
  * Increased Shaxthal Protector Drone's MP from 5 to 6 to match its L1.
  * Increased Demon's HP from 31 to 32.
  * Increased Demon Grunt's HP from 40 to 43.
  * Increased Demon Warrior's HP from 56 to 59.
  * Increased Demon Zephyr's HP from 38 to 39.
  * Increased Faerie Sprite's HP from 22 to 25.
  * Increased Faerie Sprite's XP from 40 to 50.
  * Decreased Faerie Sprite's cost from 21 to 20.
  * Increased Faerie Sprite's melee damage from 2-3 to 3-3.
  * Increased Fire Faerie's HP from 32 to 38.
  * Increased Fire Faerie's XP from 70 to 90.
  * Increased Fire Faerie's melee damage from 3-4 to 4-4.
  * Increased Faerie Dryad's HP from 46 to 50.
  * Increased Faerie Dryad's melee damage from 4-5 to 5-5.
  * Increased Faerie Spirit's HP from 40 to 45.
  * Increased Faerie Spirit's melee damage from 5-5 to 6-5.
  * Increased Faerie Spirit's ranged damage from 5-5 to 6-5.
  * Gave Chaos Cardinal the zeal ability (+30% to all resistances, max. 60% for
    non-arcane, max. 30% for arcane, level diff * 15% damage bonus).
  * Gave Chaos Cardinal the necrosis weapon special (living targets receive 10
    damage per turn until cured, necrosed units turn into Ghouls belonging to
    the infecter's side upon death).
Have fun! 💜
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.8 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.8 is out.

This release addresses a major issue introduced in IftU 2.1.6, which was silently published as a follow-up release after 2.1.5.

Version 2.1.8:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200816.

Version 2.1.7:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200814.

Version 2.1.6:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200810.

* Language and i18n:

* Scenarios:
  * Removed no-op `recruitment_ignore_bad_combat` AI aspect.
  * S24 - Epilogue:
    * Record hero units' final stats.

Version 20200816:
-----------------
* Lua and WML library:
  * Fixed persistent WML variables API crashing when trying to manipulate the
    global table on a fresh persistent store or a store without a preexisting
    global table.

Version 20200814:
-----------------
* Lua and WML library:
  * Made compatibility layer defer UI actions until the preload event in order
    to avoid giving Wesnoth an existential crisis (issue #15).
  * Fixed grave issues with the compatibility check code resulting in Naia
    callers not completing root `[lua]` initialization under specific
    circumstances (<https://r.wesnoth.org/p657381>).

Version 20200812:
-----------------
* Lua and WML library:
  * Added basic facilities for log indentation.
  * Added `[harm_multiple_units]` WML action tag to implement animated AoE
    weapon specials.

Version 20200810:
-----------------
* Language and i18n:

* Lua and WML library:
  * Added persistent WML variables API based on the AtS 0.10.x version.
Have fun! 💜
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.9 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.4+]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.9 is out.

There are basically no changes in this version of IftU if you are running Wesnoth 1.14.x. Well, there are a couple of changes, but they are not particularly noteworthy.

However, this is the first version with experimental Wesnoth 1.15.4+ support! Yes, you read that right, and it's already available on the 1.15.x add-ons server. AtS is there as well, and so are the music packages.

(NOTE: Wesnoth 1.15.3 and earlier development versions are NOT supported.)

In other words, if you are one of those exceedingly rare people who only play on the development version for whatever reason, I've just provided you with 6000+ hours of potentially buggy entertainment; and I'm saying "potentially buggy" because, to be perfectly honest, I haven't tested IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.x beyond making sure that they load, and that some basic infrastructure works properly. Right now my focus is on developing gameplay features, and that means I need to use Wesnoth 1.14.x to make the experience as smooth as possible within the constraints of Wesnoth's content development architecture.

I have, however, made sure that most things I have found out about that changed between Wesnoth 1.14.x and 1.15.4 are already accounted for in the codebase for all campaigns, the major exception being the Mushroom Grove terrain. Supporting the introduction of Mycelium will inevitably require me to drop support for Wesnoth 1.14.x if I don't want to make the code incredibly more convoluted across the board, so for the time being both IftU and AtS continue to use the old Mushroom Grove terrain. If you have no idea what any of this means just skip this paragraph. I probably should have said that at the beginning.

Because of the experimental nature of this port, I have a couple of "recommendations" for you:
  1. If this is your first time playing IftU or AtS in general, and you have the ability to play on Wesnoth 1.14.x, please do use Wesnoth 1.14.x. It will make both my life and yours much easier. I don't know about you, but I would cry if I lost 100 turns of progress on a boss fight because all of a sudden, the dreaded "Mandatory WML child missing yet untested for" decided to appear on my screen and eat my keyboard.
  2. If you run into any issues on Wesnoth 1.15.4+, you must report them back to the campaign's thread. Please. I beg you. If you don't tell me about bugs I'm never going to find out about them. Yes, I'm the one who originally put that blurb in the official Wesnoth release announcements, so I'm allowed to reuse it here.
  3. If you use debug mode, you will get spammed with deprecation messages. I am aware of them and I would really like to slap half of the development team with a fish, but since that's not possible, I'm just going to try to fix them over time wherever doing so doesn't hurt Wesnoth 1.14.x compatibility or render code completely unmaintainable. That said, if you somehow get a deprecation message while not using debug mode... do tell me about it. I don't think it's possible, but if it is, that means someone messed something up.
Anyway, that's all. If you came here from the AtS thread, then go back to the AtS thread.

Version 2.1.9:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200825.
  * Initial version with Wesnoth 1.16 (1.15.4) support (issue #71, Naia #4).

* Language and i18n:

* Scenarios:
  * Made boss sides use the mainline `gold` color range instead of `yellow`
    (AtS issue #73).
  * S13 - Face Your Fate:
    * Fixed incorrect references to the western keep in prose and code.

Version 20200825:
-----------------
* General:
  * Initial version with Wesnoth 1.16 (1.15.4) support (issue #4).

* Lua and WML library:
  * Add `[variable_is_even]` WML conditional tag along with `VARIABLE_IS_EVEN`
    and `VARIABLE_IS_ODD` macros.
  * Add `VARIABLE_COPY` and `VARIABLE_ARRAY_COPY` macros.
  * Fix issues with `[harm_multiple_units]` crashing when there isn't a valid
    attack source.
  * Made `AMLA_BUG_4419_WORKAROUND` a no-op on 1.15.4 and later since mainline
    #4419 is solved there.

* Terrains:
  * Implemented a new Dark Hive transition logic to avoid issues with the
    deprecated Mushroom Grove `^Uf*` terrain as well as the new Mycelium `T*`
    base terrain proper when running add-ons on Wesnoth 1.15.2 and later
    (issue #11, see also IftU #73 and AtS #83).
  * Dark Hive transitions no longer draw into Earthy Rockbound Cave `Uhe` or
    any future Rockbound Cave-like terrains `Uh*`.
Have fun! 💜