An Independence War: SP campaign for 1.18

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: An Independence War: SP campaign for 1.12

Post by Konrad2 »

found a bug already! :D
in the menus when you go to "ask x", if you press "Esc" to close a detailed information (something like information on "Attack Damage" or "Goba and Goga") and then you want to open another detailed information (without going back to a menu above) -> the information won't show

EDIT:
second bug, see screenshot
Attachments
another bug
another bug
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Thank you again, Konrad2. :D
That naga bug is fixed and version 0.2.0a is uploaded.

But, for the first bug, I concluded it cannot be fixed. :augh:
Once you type "Esc", messages without options are skipped automatically until current event queue is completed. In looping messages (I often used in ask xxx event), the only way to stop message-skipping is to quit the loop. There are no ways to reset/know that skipping-status from WML/Lua. In my understanding, this is completely C++ code level issue.

This bug can be fixed by removing such looping messages... but I don't wanna do that. So I tentatively decided not to mind this issue... :cry:
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Sometimes the enemy doesn't counter-attack (I don't know how to replicate this one)

Help doesn't work in the skirmishes

Whenever you go to a skirmish your allies gold is reset to 0
I'd call that a fatal bug ._.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

:augh: :augh: :augh:

Version 0.2.0d is uploaded.

Thank you again and again, Konrad2. That fatal bug is fixed. Yeah, it is really a fatal bug, and the bug may exist in almost all the former versions. :augh: The gold disappearance happens not only for the ally sides, it happens to all the AI sides. It was really terrible and I am completely not aware of that. (I only checked player side gold)

Help in skirmish is also fixed. But I have almost no idea about the no-counter attacks. At least I can say:
- unit does not take damage when attacked by enemy is possible (due to RNG. low possibility, though)
- there are many warning messages in the logs (failed to auto-store blablabla)
- rider related codes would have caused something bad :D

I will check the code and do more test plays. Maybe I missed some special cases. :hmm:

EDIT: (Mar 26 2016)
This bugfix (fatal one) significantly changed the game difficulty. I have to fix overall game balancing. Honestly, I have get stuck even in the Easy difficulty in the current version. :D In addition, in the current mechanism, it is very difficult to find Arsenio and Heinrich. I will change this conditional.

EDIT2:
version 0.2.0e uploaded. Game balance is slightly modified.

EDIT3: (Apr 23 2016)
version 0.2.0m uploaded. Finally, primitive balancing job is finished. EASY difficulty is tested through twice. NORMAL is also tested (although not completely tested). HARD is nothing tested, but becomes somewhat easier.
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Would you remove the limit for automatically recruited units? In the later stages of the game you have a lot of leaders, but not enough units to fill up the squads and platoons and companies... D:
If you add to that, that you can mostly wage war by paying your allies, I simply can't pool my gold into buying units, if I actually want to progress. I could just wait lots of turns to get money, but that's kinda boring..
(Note: I'm playing on hard. Got everrun on turn 88 though. D: (it was veeeery heroic)
Attachments
AIW-Field_Turn_88.gz
(810.83 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Thank you! Feedback from skilled player like you is really very much helpful :D and sorry for bad balance. :cry:

Tentatively, I extend the limitation to 255 instead of removing it (to avoid introducing new bugs) and uploaded a new version (0.2.2). (I will remove this limitation when porting to 1.14.) If you can restart from the beginning of the "Field" scenario (after the Skirmish or Assassination scenario), this extension will also be activated.

And thank you attaching save file. The position of the watchtower (50,23) is nice (i am not aware of that position), but the watchtower is the cause of the flood of imperial troops, unfortunately...
Spoiler:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

a few grammar issues i currently noticed: many times the word 'golds' is used when it should be 'gold'. also, replace things like 'this stupid' with 'with idiot'
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I thank you for that quick 'fix' and your compliment. XD And that Spoiler. :D
And regarding the grammar mistakes. Maybe I could edit your texts?
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Grammar corrections are welcome! :D

(Edit) Thank you, ForestDragon! I will fix those mistakes.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

In that event with the 'fake general' from the empire, the geographer disappears in the later half of that event.
I also noticed that the Empire and the Kingdom are allies, which doesn't impact the gameplay at all...but it is kinda weird.

EDIT: Do events fire at a specific turn or do they fire after the 'You Company' has been in the capital for a specific number of turns?

EDIT 2: When the silver mage appears and disappears (event), you can hear the sound of an orcish assasin/slayer instead of the sound of teleportation, which was probably intended instead.

EDIT 3: There is HUGE difference in the difficulties of the reqests by the merman. Most of them would force me to invade the empire or the kingdom, while one only requires me to defeat the elves. (You have to move to 8,34. Other requests are 10,62 or 13,25 which is waaaaaaay harder)

EDIT 4: The orcish raiding parties don't seem to do anything. My intimacy with the goblins doesn't drop at all.
And my number of units, who need income, doesn't seem to be counted properly. I have 3 spies and one engineer in the field. And the upkeep is only 3 gold. (see save file)

EDIT 5: I can't show the status of the Ruk Squad (80,33). Instead it throws a Lua Error at me.

EDIT 6: Same problem as EDIT 5 on 77,32 and 79,33. The only similarities I can identify are that the squad leaders are Goblin Knights and that this bug seems to be in the same area (they don't move anymore afterwards).
And my engineer seems to have trouble building things...I know he can, but I apparently need to trigger some conditions first. I'll still have to figure them out. D:

EDIT 7: The condition for being able to build is having the You Company in Fusia. Is that intended?
Attachments
AIW-Field-Auto-Save45.gz
EDIT 6
(787.6 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
AIW-Field_Turn_43.gz
EDIT 5
(784.75 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
AIW-Field_Turn_42.gz
EDIT 4
(784.2 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

(I cannot recall details of this campaign correctly...)

-Disappearance of the geographer
It was simply my mistake. :( Thank you for pointing out.

-Kingdom and Empire are allies
This is intentional. Because they signed an agreement after the previous war. (A Group in a War)

-Events
Spoiler:
-Silver mage sound
I cannot recall but it may be intentional. If you know more suitable sound for teleport, please tell me. :D

-Merfolk
The difficulty primarily depends on your base income. That point might be mentioned very briefly in the game.
Spoiler:
-upkeep
-orcish raiding party
-cannot open status
I will check them carefully in the weekend. Thank you for providing the save files. :)

-You must be Fusia when building something
At least you are completely right. Current code says you must be in Fusia. But i am not sure why such condition is required. I cannot recall what i wanna do... Anyway, I will check this point in the weekend.

(Edit) bugfixed version will be released on Saturday or Sunday.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

- Silver Mage sound
Hm. I think I'd like the sound of a magic missle more. It's...well...it's the sound of magic. :D

And thanks for taking a look at all these issues. :D

EDIT: My spies sometimes (rarely) tell me 'The RACE join. Beware!'. I figured out, that this means that they joined the kingdom or the empire, but you could just tell the player easily which side they joined. D:
And then...regarding the 'agent groups' and 'bandits'. It's kinda mean that they appear at the beginning of the turn and already hurt my income. Especially the agents. When I'm low on gold and then an agent group appears...I automatically lose. With zero chance of retailation. Is that meant to be like that? :(

EDIT 2: It apparently doesn't only happen when a goblin knight is the leader nor is it because of standing on these few hexes. I have no idea now what could link these cases together apart from them being goblin troops.

EDIT 3: Found another bug. It's a weird one. So. When you take the option to send money to an ally and then you decide to press back instead of choosing an ally. Then it can get pretty weird. There is a chance to lose gold and the emissary disappears as if you had send him away with gold. I decided to try this out at some random turns. I have no idea what might be causing this...
The emissary arrives at the goblins btw.

EDIT 4: Do you still remember how the ai focused the watchtowers and ignored all other enemies? I think I reported it back then and apparently you 'fixed' it by making the ai ignore the watchtowers. But by placing watchtowers at the right location, I can block the kingdom and the empire completly now! I'd call that a cheat.
Attachments
AIW-Field-Auto-Save52.gz
EDIT 3 nothing happens
(801.97 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
AIW-Field-Auto-Save46.gz
EDIT 3 -1 gold
(775.31 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
AIW-Field-Auto-Save53.gz
EDIT 3 -80 gold
(796.8 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
AIW-Field_Turn_53.gz
EDIT 3 result in defeat
(788.43 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
AIW-Field_Turn_50.gz
69,20 and 78,32
(775.25 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Last edited by Konrad2 on April 7th, 2017, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I had to make another post because you can only have 5 attachments per post.

EDIT: Another thing. The empire seems to be sending the dwarves money, so they attack me. But the only allies of the dwarves are the kingdom. That doesn't make sense.
And another thing yet. I can't send spies any more after having send some moneys to the goblins? At least in this turn.

EDIT 2: Another save for the 'can't show the troop'-bug. And this time it's a human company. So. Zero leads on why or how this happens. AND. In the next turn I could show it's members again. You can paint me very confused.
While I'm at it, I noticed that some goblin squads and platoons have leaders who certainly don't habe enough exploits to be leading. Is that supposed to be possible?

EDIT '4': First of a certain bug. If I have a squad leader who got enough exploits to become a company leader, he only is promoted to a platoon leader. You need to make him leave the Antechamber and then let him enter again to get his promotion to a company leader. (Basically you can be promoted only once and one step at a time.)
Then. Units in a starving Company don't die by starving. I wish for this to be intended, but I'm not sure, so I'm reporting it.

EDIT 5: Leaving the Squad/Platoon/Company section when you talk with the secratary ends the conversation.

EDIT 6: I think you should explain bonus income somewhere. It is turn 117 now and this is the first time I had bonus income EVER.
Is it intentional that flags don't get removed after I conquered an enemy and made them my ally?
Attachments
AIW-Field_Turn_56.gz
EDIT 2 69,43
(791.61 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
AIW-Field_Turn_53.gz
EDIT
(778.13 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
AIW-Field_Turn_53.gz
EDIT (caution, you already have a save file with that name)
(797.28 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
AIW-Field-Auto-Save11.gz
EDIT 3 -50 gold
(765.85 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
AIW-Field-Auto-Save49.gz
EDIT 3 -20 gold
(794.15 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Bugfixed version, 0.2.3, released. :)

bugs of rider leader troops
Two bugs related to this issue are fixed. I hope it will fix everything.

geographer disappears during assassination
Fixed.

lose gold when canceling send money menu
I am sure what happened. But I am not sure why it happened... Tentatively, I added kind of fail-safe code to the corresponding events.

wrong upkeep costs related units
Fixed. Upkeep of spy for saurians had been ignored.

effect of orcish raiding parties and scorpions
Fixed. Intimacy decrease was missing due to my typo. :augh:

Other comments
- Units don't die for starving. This is completely intentional.
- Promotion from squad->company is possible now. (Just I didn't consider this possibility. Thank you for pointing out!)
- Quiting troop menu does not terminate conversion with secretary now.
- Watchtower tactics may not work... if i correctly implemented. Enemy troops avoid areas around STATIC watchtowers (i.e. not yours). Enemies will gladly crash your watchtowers. If such tactics really work... it is surely a bug! Please report me if that is possible. ;)
- Kingdom and Empire can send money to non-ally sides. Maybe they are just recruiting other races as mercenaries. (The mechanism is not smart now. Further improvement should be done)
- "The RACE joins" message is not so meaningful now..., Please never mind.
- Sending emissary and spies can be done at the same turn. I guess you didn't have enough gold after sending emissary. If your gold is less than 10, spy menu did not appear in the former versions. In the fixed version, at least the spy menu will be shown even if you don't have enough gold. (You still need to have 10 gold to recruit a spy. This 10 gold limitation is employed for safety.)
- Some explanation about bonus income was added to the "income" item of the help menu. Paperpushers at enemy village or Flags are related to this income.
- Flags exist after conquered that side is intentional.... more precisely, I am lazy.

List of changes
- fix: assassination scene (geographer disappears)
- modify teleportation sound according to Konrad2's suggestion
- buildings can be constructed when you are not at Fusia
- bandits, agents appear on side 1 turn instead of new turn,
income of the turn might not be harmed
- fix: intimacy decreases for goblins and khalifates did not work
(related to orcish raiding party and scorpions)
- the extent of decrease of intimacy slightly suppressed
- (thank you for reporting bugs and feedbacks, Konrad2)
- remove ZOC of Watchtower/Foodstorage (it was terribly annoying)
- fix: bug of AIW_CHOOSE_UNIT_FROM_TROOP macro
- fix: AIW_RECRUIT_GUARD_TROOPS macro; rider type leader was not considered
- fix: upkeep of spy for saurians was not considered
- fix: spy on Empire/saurian can be removed now
- spy disappearance probability reduced at some extent
- add fail-safe mechanism for sending money event
- conversation with secretary does not end when exiting troop menu
- fix texts according to ForestDragon
- update japanese translation
- minor fixes
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Watchtowerbug? There you go! :D

EDIT: I finally finished the campaign. And sorry to say, but I don't think I'll touch it again anytime soon, because well, I finished it. But if you make a major update in the future, just PM me and I'll try my luck again. :D
I'd leave my replay here, but because of the nature of skirmishes it would be of no great use. :/
PS: I was very surprised and happy about the special thanks to me. :D
Attachments
AIW-Field-Auto-Save64.gz
Here you can test it.
(801.04 KiB) Downloaded 436 times