A Balancing Act

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aelius

Post by aelius »

The only concern I would have with the three-map approach (and the reason I don't use it) is that if you want to go back and alter parts of the map not related to difficulty, it'll take three times as long. I suppose that if you're pretty certain your maps are solidified, then the three map solution may be better.

- b.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

aelius wrote:The only concern I would have with the three-map approach (and the reason I don't use it) is that if you want to go back and alter parts of the map not related to difficulty, it'll take three times as long. I suppose that if you're pretty certain your maps are solidified, then the three map solution may be better.

- b.
Point taken. What's especially a pain is when you finish a map, then set all the WML, and then realize your map is broken or unbalanced and have to redraw it, and thus recalculate all the WML coordinates.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Point taken. I suppose what we can agree on is that it's a lot of work to make good, balanced, multiple-difficulty-level campaigns! (But worth it...)

- b.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I have a new appreciation for how good campaigns like Heir to the Throne and The Rise of Wesnoth are, and how many hours of work went into making them.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Just a quick thank you to all of you for posting these pearls of wisdom. More useful advice on campaign/scenario design in one place than even the Wiki currently has.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Very solid thoughts.

I'd like to add that changing village_gold is one more way to balance scenarios. Also you can give the AI unexpected reinforcements at some point during the scenario. At higher difficulty, players should be better equipped to deal with surprises, and the difficulty level could test that capability.
turin wrote:I still haven't seen WHY it is a good idea to have a different tactical problem on different difficulty levels.... :?
I think the point is not to have a different tactical problem, but rather modify the challenge level of the tactical problem while keeping the type of the tactical problem consistent with the scenario's theme.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

aelius, if you know how to edit the wiki (and it's reallt easy), you should make a page of tips for changeing the AI and difficulty and copy this info onto the wiki so people can access it in the future.
aelius

Post by aelius »

quartex wrote:aelius, if you know how to edit the wiki (and it's reallt easy), you should make a page of tips for changeing the AI and difficulty and copy this info onto the wiki so people can access it in the future.
I've created a wiki page that has most of the info from this thread, but I'm terrible at editing it to look nice. If a kind soul wanted to format it properly for a wiki, I'd be most grateful.

http://wesnoth.slack.it/?BuildingScenariosBalancing

- b.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I have formatted it. :)

Now, to start following it in my scenarios...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
PDF

Post by PDF »

As I involuntarly launched the discussion, surely I have to intervene :
When I wrote about gold to balance scenarios I was not implying it was good design, it was just the first simple way I thought of...

Aelius, you have very strong arguments, but overall they're all around "let's make different challenges according to difficulty". It's an option, but not the only one - and in fact a rationale can also be made to have different scenarios in this case !
OTOH, one can think of "1 scenario = 1 challenge", and just try to make it more or less arduous with difficulty. Oftentimes the difference between success or failure is made by just 1 more or less unit, according to luck and/or tactical errors. And the simplest way to have some more or less units is gold... In my first HttT game I was losing after Bay of Pearls mainly because I was broke, even if I "won" technically up to that point (I also had near to 0 level 2-3 units, but without gold they won't have helped much).
One can also argue about the poor learning value, as you just give players more room for errors : newbies will make errors anyway, that they transform into victory or defeat aren't a sure bet that they will learn more or less.
In the end now I rather think that a good way to balance scenario rather than +/- gold could be to give some extra units to player (for example of one sort useful to the challenge, as an hint ), or adjust enemy units recruitment lists. It's more "thought out" than just piles of gold.
Adding owned villages to one side looks a good option too - it doesn't much change the "at start" situation nor the challenges, and villages have to be kept also.

My 0.02 cents, without any balancing experiencing except on the receiving end :roll: :lol:
PDF
ollobrains

Post by ollobrains »

minor changes as in more difficult terrain, or differing placements of units or perhaps enlarging or reducing the map size you mean ?

does resources play a big role in these campaigns and sceniros you have in play.
aelius

Post by aelius »

PDF wrote:In my first HttT game I was losing after Bay of Pearls mainly because I was broke, even if I "won" technically up to that point (I also had near to 0 level 2-3 units, but without gold they won't have helped much).
Was this enjoyable or frustrating? I had to start HttT over I think three times before I got a decent sized army out of it. One of my axioms for scenario design is this:

"A scenario should be winnable with the default gold value and an empty recall list."

Now, having lots of gold and a good recall list should certainly make a scenario easier, but scenarios designed to be played by new players should never, ever, require you to have done well in a previous scenario. They should be self contained as far as difficulty goes.
PDF wrote:In the end now I rather think that a good way to balance scenario rather than +/- gold could be to give some extra units to player (for example of one sort useful to the challenge, as an hint ), or adjust enemy units recruitment lists.
I wholeheartedly agree. You can also give more units to the player by giving him a larger keep and the enemy a smaller keep.

- b.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

aelius wrote:"A scenario should be winnable with the default gold value and an empty recall list."
I really disagree with this. It is good in a lot of cases, but when you take a scenario like The Battle for Wesnoth, if you could win that with 100 gold, then imagine how easy it would be with 5 Elvish Avengers, 5 Dwarvish Lords, 4 Elvish Champions, 3 Elvish Sharpshooters, 2 Silver Magi, and thousands of gold!

Now, it might be good in Easy difficulty.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I really disagree with this. It is good in a lot of cases, but when you take a scenario like The Battle for Wesnoth, if you could win that with 100 gold, then imagine how easy it would be with 5 Elvish Avengers, 5 Dwarvish Lords, 4 Elvish Champions, 3 Elvish Sharpshooters, 2 Silver Magi, and thousands of gold!
Point taken. Here' I'm referring to normal scenarios on the easiest difficulty level in campaigns meant to be played by beginners. Though, I would say that if you need, say, a minimum of 500 gold to have a chance at winning The Battle for Wesnoth, then the designer should set that as the gold minimum.

My point was that it's rough on new players to have to replay the beginning of a campaign over and over to get a "good army" or make sure they're not "bankrupt" for a later scenario. That's frustrating. At least, it was for me.

- b.
PDF

Post by PDF »

Aelius,
About frustation : yes, it's frustating when you begin to play to realize on 5th scenario that you've blown the campaign (not enough gold/xped units), after believing that you've won easily the first scenarios !
When one knows the game a little more it becomes more natural to think this way !... :wink:
After that there sure is difference in expected balance between a starting newbie scenario and the final acme of a grand campaign : the latter HAS to be rather unwinnable with level 1 units, even if starting gold should be high to allow for players going broke from last scenarios .
PDF