Archaic Resources (BfW 1.12)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Archaic Resources (BfW 1.12)

Post by doofus-01 »

This is a thread for updates and bug reports for Archaic Resources. It isn't playable on its own, so it might not be obvious to players that this is where things need to be reported, but I don't know what to do about that. My goal is to have all units, terrains, images, and macros that are not truly campaign-specific in here so that I, or anyone who wants to be part of the club, can just use this dependency. Similar to a core: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40415 though not quite as dramatic.

I'll try to update this with more info on what it is and how to use it, but for now, it is something to make it easier to write a campaign like Bad Moon Rising.

Migrating all the useful parts out of the campaigns Bad Moon Rising, Trinity, and Tales of the Setting Sun is still a work in progress, as of version 1.1.1.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Shield

Re: Archaic Resources (BfW 1.14); some terrain graphics errors

Post by Shield »

I hope this isn't "necro"-ing this topic since it seems to have been last used in 2014 and it's 2020 now, but it's specifically stated to be the thread for reporting bugs for Archaic Resources; feel free to have this reply moved to a more appropriate thread if it's better off elsewhere.

Anyway, I caught some graphical errors regarding a few terrain tiles while playing around with Archaic Resources in the map editor. If it makes a difference, it was the latest version of the resource pack currently available for BfW 1.14, I was playing using BfW 1.14.13, and it was played using a Windows 10 computer. Behold the attached screenshot below to see the errors I noticed:
I've been developing a thing for frozen terrain, you see
I've been developing a thing for frozen terrain, you see
The most obvious issue to me at first was that the "tundra" terrain's transition to water doesn't work right, even though tundra terrain has plenty of tundra-to-water images in its respective folder. I'm not sure how this would be fixed since I don't know much about terrainWML. Anyway, all errors I noticed in the above screenshot include:
  • "tundra" lacks a water transition, and seems to be having an issue transitioning to dirt (or at least to dry dirt, in this case)... when I look close, it might even be having more slight trouble transitioning to grass, given how it's not fading outwards into adjacent grass hexes
  • "snow path" lacks water and sand transitions, and transitions weirdly to mainline ice (it looks like it's being treated like water, almost? compare to how mainline ice transitions to regular dry dirt)
  • "ice cave" lacks a proper water transition, its edges turn into regular grey cave borders
  • "ice chasm" seems to not have proper transitions on any terrain unless surrounded on certain sides by ice cave terrain-- it just looks like a regular grey cave chasm but blue at the bottom, where it seems it ought to have blue inner walls regardless
  • "ice wall" water transition looks off-- normal cave wall-to-water transitions seem to have a tiny bit of land surrounding them where they meet water, as opposed to the ice wall's flecks of cave-ice which seem better-suited to land-based transitions
  • "thin ice" seems mostly alright, but I see some weird (straight and diagonal) transition lines between it and water where it's close to grass, so maybe it's having issues with a grass transition; and while its water transition doesn't look bad, how different it is from the mainline ice's water transition is a tad distracting to me (I can't tell if it's intentional though, or if it's just using a transition it uses for other terrains)
I'm not sure if these errors are visible at all in the campaigns taking place in the BMR universe, but you do say above that Archaic Resources can be used by anyone for their campaigns as a dependency (I know that IAF uses the tundra terrain, at least); and it can't be quite as practical to use it if these terrains suffer such graphical issues, since other people might use the terrains in any number of different ways. I don't know yet of any other terrains with buggy graphics from Archaic Resources, or if the above terrains encounter transition problems with terrains I didn't try (or simply didn't notice, there), but I hope you can get these particular ones fixed and wish you luck in doing so.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Resources (BfW 1.12)

Post by doofus-01 »

Shield wrote: August 31st, 2020, 11:14 pm hope this isn't "necro"-ing this topic since it seems to have been last used in 2014 and it's 2020 now, but it's specifically stated to be the thread for reporting bugs for Archaic Resources; feel free to have this reply moved to a more appropriate thread if it's better off elsewhere.
No problem, this is as good a place as any.
Shield wrote: August 31st, 2020, 11:14 pm I'm not sure if these errors are visible at all in the campaigns taking place in the BMR universe, but you do say above that Archaic Resources can be used by anyone for their campaigns as a dependency (I know that IAF uses the tundra terrain, at least); and it can't be quite as practical to use it if these terrains suffer such graphical issues, since other people might use the terrains in any number of different ways.
They work well enough for BMR, as far as I know. If it doesn't perform to someone else's desires, they don't have to use it.
Shield wrote: August 31st, 2020, 11:14 pm I don't know yet of any other terrains with buggy graphics from Archaic Resources, or if the above terrains encounter transition problems with terrains I didn't try (or simply didn't notice, there), but I hope you can get these particular ones fixed and wish you luck in doing so.
I do appreciate the bug report, but it's unlikely to get fixed anytime soon, honestly. As far as I know, UMC creators take assets from other add-ons, they don't usually use those add-ons as dependencies. Which makes sense, as you never know when the other author will make some breaking change.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects