Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chep

Re: Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Post by Chep »

okay, maybe. Especially if you have lost some important troops earlier in the campaign.
In the scenario where you save your sisters, I built a wall along the river shore and thus all my units had 80% to attack - except for the shadow mages which only had 70% (and did less damage). they were sort of useful against the enemy leaders and at night against the dragoons or other units crossing the bridge in the north of your encampment...its just...any level 2 outlaw-unit was at least as good here (and when you reach the enemy leader, the game is usually won anyway).

the next one where you fight the horse lord and Ceomyr: well, against the mounted units you gain 10% to hit (70 vs 60) but Halberdiers, Poachers and iron maulers do _a lot_ more damage and can take more hits. and basically all other fighting happens - again - on the river banks where they have less to-hit-chance than other units.
And then there are a few undead scenarios (okay maybe you could use them against the ghouls but again, I found huntsmen here better but didn't even recruit any of them and let the mages, paladins and bandits handle it.
Against the Khalifa army they can be useful, yes. but most fighting is in the open, so their magic attacks mean very little. You also have at least 3 lvl3-leadership units, so even that bonus the mages could give means very little (also because usually you only have 3-5 lvl1-2-units by now). they are pretty good against the Whirlwinds, but then a Paladin actually is often preferable at least for the initial damage as 6x5 damage can seriously hurt a mage while 8x3 is less of a problem for the paladin.
But I know that I'm not a good player and there are probably cool tactics featuring them, it's just that in my game they only seem valuable against the Whirlwinds.

edit: in "Motherland" I would recommend removing the lvl 3 undead (Draug?) from the recruit list of the necromancer, since earlier in the campaign it is said that "these are no ordinary undead, only the strongest and oldest necromancers can create these" and we saw our friend as a mere adept a few weeks/months earlier. (also: they get slaughtered by the whirlwinds anyway and he seldom buys more than one, so it wouldn't change anything gameplay-wise). It just seems inconsequent to me.

edit2: Before the "Lion and Dragon"-scenario it says "armies rested [...] except for Addraryn and Elyniver, who remained awake_n_." the n shouldn't be there, I'd wager. Shortly afterwards it is "instead of exhausted after a sleepless night, they were invigorated" - I'd say "instead of being exhausted....".
Next "page": "After a few days_'_ march" this seems wrong as well (I'm no native speaker, so you might be right here, it just...I don't know, it irks me ;) )
In the dialogue at the beginning of "The Lion and the Dragon" Arslan says: "I thought I had _already_ crushed the main Wesnothian armies _already_." it seems you didn't look at the text too closely here :D

edit3: "The Lion and the Dragon" - I can't recall troops with Malene Eldric. I can recruit just fine, but can't recall. It doesn't say "you need veterans...blablabla" I just press "recall" and nothing happens :(
not TOO serious of a bug since her troops weren't that experienced anyway, but still annoying

edit4: towards the end there seem to be a few more cases where you should have a look at the dialogue/introduction texts.
also the "cannot recall"-bug happens with the other helpers you can controll in "Lion&Dragon" as well as in the next big fight. The main "colour" can recall, all others can't.
Also: "in the name of Justice" - in the objectives there is the name of a certain hero amongst the "must not die" - but he/she is not um..participating in this fight (don't want to spoiler too much for other readers)

edit5:
I finished it. Wow. Great campaign. Possibly my new favorite. I really, really loved the part with the Death-Bringer bataillon, I didn't care (as) much for the levels where you got the outlaws to help your army, but then the last two huge battles were really really fun (yay, Arch Mages by the dozen :D ) although maybe a bit to easy, but I think that can hardly be helped and increasing the difficulty too much would take the fun out of these levels. The undead & the dwarves didn't even get to help me^^
Great. Great. Great.
The 2 quick&fearless Iron Maulers were my favourite units, followed by the 2 quick white mages, I recalled these 4 for almost every single map. The Duellists were good scouts (especially underground) and quite useful for the fights in the cities. but damn. Arch&Silver Mages :D
Thank you.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

But there's also the leadership ability of Shadow Mages and Shadow Lords, which can be quite useful if you are levelling up the new recruits you get from Strength of the Union onwards (from that scenario you can recruit new lvl 1 units ;-) )
Motherland: Well thought about the draugs... Though when I said in Welcome to the Northlands about those undead not being ordinary I was referring to the ampler variety of lvl 3 undead - draugs, banebows and nightgaunts ;-)
Before the "Lion and Dragon"-scenario it says "armies rested [...] except for Addraryn and Elyniver, who remained awake_n_." the n shouldn't be there, I'd wager. Shortly afterwards it is "instead of exhausted after a sleepless night, they were invigorated" - I'd say "instead of being exhausted....".
Next "page": "After a few days_'_ march" this seems wrong as well (I'm no native speaker, so you might be right here, it just...I don't know, it irks me ;) )
In the dialogue at the beginning of "The Lion and the Dragon" Arslan says: "I thought I had _already_ crushed the main Wesnothian armies _already_."
I think we're both wrong: it should be 'awoken', which is the past participle of awake, and so the best fitting form of the verb in this case; awaken serves only as an adjective or as a present tese verb, none of which works there :-P. But I don't think that the absence of 'being' before 'exhausted' is a mistake, I'm justing avoiding repetition of verb 'to be' - which comes little later as 'were' (but I may be using a rationale that works in Portuguese, my first language, but not in English, so it may actually be wrong :-P )
'A few days' march' is just a more elegant way to say 'a march of a few days'; though, now that I think about it, maybe I should say 'a week-long march'...
As for the 'already'... Well, that happens when you're writing too fast :-P
also the "cannot recall"-bug happens with the other helpers you can controll in "Lion&Dragon" as well as in the next big fight. The main "colour" can recall, all others can't.
That's a serious problem... Maybe it's a bug of the game; I've played this campaign twice and it didn't happen to me, but I'll see what it may be :hmm:
Also: "in the name of Justice" - in the objectives there is the name of a certain hero amongst the "must not die" - but he/she is not um..participating in this fight (don't want to spoiler too much for other readers)
I pushed that name below the names of the other heroes, so I missed it :-P
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Chep

Post by Chep »

for those lvl1 recruits you have 3 lvl3 leaders already (I only cared for Spearmen & Heavy Infantry, Cavalry functions as scouts and there didn't need to level and I had more than enough Archers....come to think of it, I hardly ever used them...hum..) and i rarely tried to train more than 4-5 new recruits per scenario :)

awoken...might work, I thought of using "awake" as an adjective here, that just seemed right to me, but you're probably right, too :)
however with the "exhausted"-part I'm quite sure since you're actually using a construction with the passive form (some version of "exhausted themselves" might work but again seems needlessly complicated).
I know what you mean by days march, I was just pointing out that I think the apostrophe is wrong there. Google suggests "day's march" as common way to spell it, however that might change the meaning (slightly). I think your idea or something like "after a few days/a week of marching...." could be better.

what I forgot to say earlier: I also loved the "2 leaders that can recruit"-feature. When fighting Arslan I had Elyniver recruit troops along the outer walls of the city :D and also in other scenarios I could sometimes recruit in two places at once. really neat.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

And so, after finally finding enough free time, I've finished version 1.0.2!

Code: Select all

Version 1.0.2:
            -------------------
            - Units:
              - Give two new attacks to Moran
            -Scenarios:
              - Frontier Skirmish: Gave Shadow Mages as recruits
              - Sands of Time: Few changes to the map; Arslan should now avoid sending soldiers to the west.
              - The Beast of the Aethenwood: Wrote a subtle warn to the player about the treachery near the end of the scenario.
              - The Wolf of Lake Vrug: Corrected bug that caused undead to keep spawning even after the caves' closing.
              - Strength of the Union: Hopefully corrected bug that prevented the enemy from recruiting.
              - The Lion and the Dragon: Player & allies should no longer take the villages inside the city.
            - Text:
               - Some corrections to the writing

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
markaux

Post by markaux »

Well, sorry fo the noob question, but how do i play this campaign? I cant download it from the complements in the game
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

This is available on 1.11, but not on 1.10. What version of Wesnoth are you using?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
markaux

Post by markaux »

1.10.7... Theres no way to play this campaign in my version?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Currently no, you would have to see if revansurik would alter it to put it on the add-on server for 1.10.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
markaux

Post by markaux »

Well, i really want to play this campaign, so i guess ill download the 1.11 version
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Currently no, you would have to see if revansurik would alter it to put it on the add-on server for 1.10.
Sorry, but due to growing ammount of university work I currently have very little time to do that; if I adapt the campaign for 1.10 (which is unlikely, since I'll probably have to adapt Soldier of Wesnoth and A Song of Fire for the upcoming(?) version 1.12 already) it will be only next year :|

;-)
markaux

Post by markaux »

Ok, i downloaded version 1.11 and im already playing this campaign, seems very, very good! But i got a problem. Im in the mission "Soldier of Wesnoth", the one where you become a Royal Guard. After i get my equipment and become a royal guard, the objetives says that i need to "move him (Addraryn) to the battlegrounds to the north". I dont know what i should do. I already moved Addra to the north, nothings happens, i already explored all the map, and i still dont know what should i do, nothing happens. Im already at the 135 turn

Edit: Seems i "fixed" this. I explored all the map before fighting the lieutenant, so it seems the soldiers doesnt appear when the map is already explored. I restarted the mission, didnt explore and everything was fine

(Sorry if my english is hard to understand)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

(Sorry if my english is hard to understand)
Don't worry, it's fine :-)
Edit: Seems i "fixed" this. I explored all the map before fighting the lieutenant, so it seems the soldiers doesnt appear when the map is already explored. I restarted the mission, didnt explore and everything was fine
Still, this problem shouldn't be happening... :hmm:

;-)
markaux

Post by markaux »

Still, this problem shouldn't be happening... :hmm:[/quote]

Thats why i didnt delete my post and edited it even after "fixing" my problem. At least to let other know how to keep playing if they have the same problem until everything is solved.
Im already at the mission "Lawfulness and Darkness", cant stop playing this! Really, im enjoying it so much, thanks for making it
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Version 1.0.3 is out.
Quite laconic, right? Really, there isn't much to say ;-)

Code: Select all

Version 1.0.2:
            -------------------
            -Scenarios:
              - Soldier of Wesnoth: slight change to objectives, to avoid bug that caused Moran and the soldiers not to appear in the northern battlegrounds if that area was previously visited by player

;-)
gooby

Post by gooby »

I notice some improvements since last I played but "The Soul of the Kingdom, Part II" is pretty strange. It acts as though Addraryn is gravely poisoned. When I played that scenario through again, not only was Addraryn out of reach of Nightstalker, I had advanced Meranoic to a White Mage. Neither of them could have remained poisoned for long given that they both have "cures" and "heals +8".