For Power (0.6.5.3)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kashy

Re: For Power (0.6.5.1)

Post by Kashy »

:mrgreen: I've run into the same problem but I'm not a programmer so I have no clue how to fix it
Kashy

Post by Kashy »

I've run into the same kind of problem I'm in episode 5 of 4 power and recruitment is disabled that I'm not a programmer and I have no clue how to go in there find such bugs to fix them see if anybody has ideas or information I could take advantage of that would be nice
Noordfrees

Post by Noordfrees »

To fix the recruitment issue, just open the file "~/.config/wesnoth-1.14/data/add-ons/For_Power/chapter5/scenarios/03_Besieged.cfg" (the path may differ between OSs) and correct "Spermen"→"Spearman" in two places. Save the changes and restart from scenario 5.3. Then you should be able to recruit in 5.3 and all subsequent scenarios.
(Edit: I see that this fix was committed into the GitHub repo of the campaign so this will also be fixed in the next update)

I managed to get past 5.3 now after restarting about a hundred times. I'd like to suggest giving the player a village or two near the southeast of the city and another one near the starting point so Clare and Jolla would be able to teleport there and fend of early attacks if needed.
The story continued very nicely, now I'm stuck fighting that super-powerful avenger necromanceress (but I'll beat her in the end!! :) )
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Noordfrees wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 7:23 am To fix the recruitment issue, just open the file "~/.config/wesnoth-1.14/data/add-ons/For_Power/chapter5/scenarios/03_Besieged.cfg" (the path may differ between OSs) and correct "Spermen"→"Spearman" in two places. Save the changes and restart from scenario 5.3. Then you should be able to recruit in 5.3 and all subsequent scenarios.
Thanks for giving Kashy instructions on how to fix the issue and providing the fix in the first place. I do not post at the forums these days (or do anything related to Wesnoth actually).
(Edit: I see that this fix was committed into the GitHub repo of the campaign so this will also be fixed in the next update)
Yes, it is going to be a part of the next release but there is no eta for it.
I managed to get past 5.3 now after restarting about a hundred times. I'd like to suggest giving the player a village or two near the southeast of the city and another one near the starting point so Clare and Jolla would be able to teleport there and fend of early attacks if needed.
Not a bad idea. I might do it if more players have this problem.
The story continued very nicely, now I'm stuck fighting that super-powerful avenger necromanceress (but I'll beat her in the end!! :) )
That is kind of intended. This scenario (and the next one) is supposed to be hard. The enemy starts with lots of gold (and it is actually proportional to your own carried over gold).
Jons

Post by Jons »

Hi mate. I love your mods. It's a little late, sorry. It chapter 6 full version?
James_The_Invisible

Jons wrote: April 1st, 2021, 12:18 am Hi mate. I love your mods. It's a little late, sorry. It chapter 6 full version?
Hi. Sorry, no, chapter 6 contains just 3 playable scenario (and 1 talk only one). Also I rarely work on this campaign these days and when I do, I do not write new scenarios.
James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.5.2)

After a very long while, a new version of For Power is out. Please note that this is the last version for Battle for Wesnoth 1.14. Future versions will be available only for Battle for Wesnoth 1.16. It is on both 1.14 and 1.16 add-ons server but there is no guarantee that it works on the latter.

Despite the time since previous release, there are not a lot of (visible) changes. The most important one is a fix for an old bug - the player's inability to recruit in Chapter 5. The other visible one (on Wesnoth 1.15/1.16) is that all the campaigns have got a background. There was also a big change behind the scenes - implementation of frost and scourge weapon specials was changed. This might cause some issues with saves from previous version.

There are also some changes with add-on on the add-ons server. The add-on now has tags and its name and description were translated to Czech language.
oror

Post by oror »

Hi,
I searched the known bugs and the forum, but did not found any mention of this, so I'm reporting: in "The Path of Revenge", a scenario is missing, as per attachment:
14a_The_Price_of_Revenge, 14b_Thirst_for_Power
Capture.JPG
James_The_Invisible

oror wrote: April 21st, 2022, 11:05 am Hi,
I searched the known bugs and the forum, but did not found any mention of this, so I'm reporting: in "The Path of Revenge", a scenario is missing, as per attachment:
14a_The_Price_of_Revenge, 14b_Thirst_for_Power
Capture.JPG
Hi. I have never encountered this error before, it is probably new on Wesnoth 1.16. It should be easy to fix but I am sure that there are other places where this might be an issue (I vaguely remember that it should happen at least 1 more time earlier in Chapter 1). I will look into this soon (probably this weekend).
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It's new on 1.16. The idea being to warn about instances where the ID of next scenario that's provided in the current scenario isn't found, so to pre-emptively warn about it at the start rather than after a player has already spent the time to finish the scenario.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.5.3)

I took a better look on the warning and looks like that it happened only in 2 scenarios in Chapter 1. I just uploaded the fix as version 0.6.5.3. It also contains some improved dialogues in Chapter 5. Enjoy.
slarty

Post by slarty »

Hi,
Just played your campaign for the first time - great work!
Found a bug and I don´t know if it is already reported:
Spoiler:
FP5-Cleaning Home-Autospeichern14.gz
(125.53 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Next thing: I think that the last two scenarios need a bit of rebalancing - I think they are a little too hard compared to the rest (played it on easy), that´s why I cheated :)
Rendy55

Post by Rendy55 »

I can't beat this scenario even on easy diff.
Attachments
FP1-The_Assassins_Hideout_hard.gz
(93.73 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
FP1-The_Assassins_Hideout_easy.gz
(91.21 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
James_The_Invisible

Rendy55 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:53 pm I can't beat this scenario even on easy diff.
Oh, I see. In your chosen path you did not have many opportunities to level up your units so practically all your units are at level 1. I normally take the other path and have a lot of level 2 units by this point (plus multiple heroes). I have already an open issue for adding some heroes for this path (but unfortunately I have lost all my progress on this and did not pick it up again). I could also give the player more gold in this scenario for this path and/or lower the enemy's income a bit (but not that much as it is suppose to be a challenge). I will play with exact numbers when I have time but your and other people's ideas are also welcome.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Sometimes some scenarios are oddly difficult. I don't mean this in regards to the campaign here,
but I remember a few years ago I was playing a scenario for a cave, where there were too many
enemy units. I could not defeat them. A few months later I then read on the wiki that one should
use units such as those ... halfling rogues or whatever, with 70% defence, for damage mitigation.

I did not know that, and even after playing the game for quite some time, I was not aware of that.

I think, based on that, it would be super-helpful if there are some hints during campaigns here
and there, strategic hints. Perhaps even a small hint box that players could open or something.
Or just integrated into the story. But again, that's not specific to the campaign here, I did ont
play it yet (I think, or I forgot it already) - I just refer to the statement above that Rendy55 was
not able to beat it on easy difficulty.

> I could also give the player more gold in this scenario

Sometimes a bit more gold helps a LOT. A unit more can often help mitigate damage to other
units, e. g. fodder units and soaker units that are expendable. I always find the game better
and more fun if I can have units. Or, alternatively, if you don't want to go with more gold, you
could always integrate a fewer helper-units that just appear, and don't cost anything. For
instance, if it is a druid campaign, one could have two wolves appear on the map to help
or something like that (you get the idea). For human campaigns some nearby peons that
try to help for some turns before running away.