Heindal's Mini Games: Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Dungeons of Wesnoth 0.61

Post by Heindal »

Well, I made another version 0.61:

I found some things I wanted to change so I did just that:

- Dungeon Level 2 - The Lich will start to summons troops, Rats and Zombies. After a while, the Lich will grow in power ad will gain additional income and better troops. So the enemy will get stronger over time and send "Waves". Added additional dialogues and upgraded the dungeon.

- Dungeon Level 4 - added the waves concept from level 2 and additional dialogues.

- Specified the error message, in case your current computer isn't good enough to play the cutscenes and detailed, epic graphics in chapter III ( :P ).

- Overworked all Layouts for Research, Spellcasting and Ressource Income.

- Spells have a description now.

- Upgrades show the current level of the upgrade.

- Balancing: Healing will now heal 30 hitpoints.

- New Spells: Pave and Create Farm, Pave will pave 7 tiles and Create Farm will create a Farm on Mushroom terrain. These new spells are available in Chapter IV.

- Added option to upgrade Kunga and the Lich. These upgrades are available once you built a smith.

- Repaired Upgrades, Buildings Upgrades will now be available to the next level, so you can become relatively powerful over time.
It's intended that these are infinite but that the costs grow exponentially, as the effect of upgrades isn't super high, I decided to do it this way.

- Added a secret to allow Kunga to get a new portrait.

- Changed wording in some cases.

- Cheating - will now allow to get teleport and a kill ability, which will allows you to test things out, if you want.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Cugel

Re: Heindal's Mini Games: Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth

Post by Cugel »

Heindal wrote: December 13th, 2017, 11:26 pm Cool, 11 scenarios! Holy Speedy Gonzales! Good job, I hope you enjoyed making them. Just publish them as an own campaign or a spin-off. ...

"Dungeon Creeper the Lich" spin-off finally published today.
(Sorry I have been gone so long.)

Today I finally managed my upload (phrased as "distribution" or "publishing") of the 11 scenarios I built for the wonderful Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth in 2017, the sharing with others made possible by converting them into a spin-off 'campaign'.

P.S.:

Delay reason: Again, sorry I have been gone so long. (I was assisting a slowly withering and dying family member and since then am struggling to return into the workforce or otherwise, dealing with ageism, self-employed income making for survival --- yes, the Real Life world isn't as livable as our game worlds...)

Delay details: Because of the huge amount of priorities in my current life the steps of converting my modded version of Dungeons of Wesnoth into a spin-off "campaign" and then making the upload kept getting postponed over and over. (steps: converting into a new campaign, then testing it again (replaying it from start to finish when I could find some time), making some more adjustments and bug fixes during the replay-test, finding out the secretive method for uploading it to the player community and having to make more adjustments like _server.pbl for that, and then running into a client/server-upgrade blockade ("Remote has disconnected") that I now finally found time to wrestle with) --- Sorry, again for the delay.

Compatibility
: Back way when, my test from start to end was in Wesnoth version 1.10.7. Today I only had a little time for some basic test on Wesnoth 1.12.6. I tested several spells and builds. They worked. Two cryptic 'WML deprecated format' messages didn't stick around too long and don't seem to prevent this spin-off campaign from working in Wesnoth 1.12.6.

Going from here: If any Wesnoth upgrades do now or later break a backwards compatibility and anyone can fix the problem by modifying this spin-off campaign or for any other reason wants to create a spin-off of the spin-off, I myself have no problem with it. Just ask for Heindal's agreement, too, of course. (You can ask yourself, too, Heindal. *wink*)

Credits: Many thanks again to Heindal for his fantastic Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth add-on of which my spin-off is little more than 11 added scenarios, now finally published by me with his permission given in 2017.

I hope some people will gain joy from this.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Cool Cugel, I will test it as soon as I have the time and give you a feedback.

Note that I made some changes to the game in my last update, some new spells (greater pave, mushroom farm) and upgrade options for the heroes. Feel free to use them in your spin off. I will probably make 1 level for the wholesome Weirdgurd the White and his betrustested beasant Boris (typo intended), which will add architecture / spells, upgrades and some changes. I also wanted to make a final scenario and a free-play scenario for the single player mode.

For now priority is to recheck Strange Legacy make some fixes for reported and, I admit, ignored bugs.
After that I will see what I can do.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Note: I got a private message and could apparently not reply. What I write as a reply stays in the Outbox and never gets into the "Sent Messages" box. When I hit the Submit button I am sent right back onto the "Compose" page.

If necessary, I can be reached this way and then email back: akana.altervista.org/phoenix/dirksintro.php#Contact
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I received your message. ^^
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I tested the Dungeoncreeper. I like the way you design the maps. While the first maps have a classic approach of one enemy and a long tunnel to keep their troops at bay, later on the level design gets way better, featuring islands, deserts, multiple enemies and even other keepers.

That's cool. I wish there was some storytelling.

Such as "The lord of this country stands in our way ... muhahahahaha."

Feedback concerning your code:

You should set lairs to 0 in each level, otherwise there will be a mistake with the display of the lairs.
This is my mistake, I had already fixed in the last version.

You could also take out this line from the source:
$lairs| Lairs provide 20 spaces each, available: $space

You took away the research options. That is ok.

But as you take over all before researched requirements, you can start with summoning everything you have researched before.

But i think for fairness and fun reason you should give the lich at least 1 or 2 mana (force) per turn by increasing the lab bonus or by giving the player some startbuildings in some dungeons. Also it would be fun if the lich discovers an obelisk or artifact, that could give him an advantage on this map (and this map only) such as twice the range or extra resources.

You haven't placed any secrets or hidden resources. You can simply do so by using the resource macro, if you like.

RESOURCELOOT PICTUREPATH RESOURCE NUMBER X Y

As Kunga isn't recalled, some messages seem odd. Such as the outro, where the is a dialogue between Kunga and the Lich. You could for example set the variable outro to no to avoid that. Also some Last Breath events fire again - such as the Angeltransformation. I don't think that i intended. If so you might need to change that. By avoiding the id=Villager, this event won't happen.

I haven't used LASTBREATHEVENT for Goblins etc. because it would cause redundancy.

{LASTBREATHEVENT (Goblin Spearman) 5} is a macro and will create a complete Last Breath event. One of my first mistakes was to misuse and exploit macros, which caused performance lags and high initial loading time, as all macros are or were (?) translated into source code before the game starts. Using a lot of macros caused problems with initial loading time.