Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lynx

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.06 RPG World - finished

Post by lynx »

Started this after FFA. Mixed feelings. Brings out a severe memory leak in wesnoth (not your fault) and most of the time the quest experience is not really granted. Sometimes the achievement xp leveled me up, but I didn't get the amla choice or the level up menu in the character page. The random encounters are pretty boring and tougher due to only 2-3 types of terrain per map. Sometimes the game can't count properly and I can't finish trader quests (says I have only 2 of 2 needed wines for example) or buy all the goods that I could. I also somehow managed to get a cart capacity of 7 out of 5 (for an empty cart). The first time I started with a worker and the Dark woords said I needed an axe to work there (come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be equipped?).
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for playing. I've got to say that Strange Legacy should become a rpg that features everything that is possible in any other rpg and maybe even more.
You can have a house with furniture, skill your character, craft items, see global events, do infinite missions, so that even if you finished the storyline there might be still placed and things that can be discovered. This made this project very complex and to write an excact manual for the game would likely take 24 hours of worktime.

Well the memory leak problem: I did what I could in WML itself, so the game performance is already way better. I believed that macros would do, what macros usually do: make the performance better and reduce redundancy - unfortunately I was wrong. In case using many macros in WML will cause even more problems with memory. The only way to improve the code concerning the memory would be to replace my solutions (which arent always perfect) with lua functions. As a lua greenhorn I would need a lot of time to get this done. Unfortunately I don't have much time.

The level up thingy annoys me too. I don't know how to handle that and I've already asked several coders about that problem. Noone so far has a solution for that, so I decided to embedd an "emergency" solution. If you level up you will receive a "skill point". If you have skillpoints you can access a levelup menu and spent this point as in a normal level up. Seemed to work - the idea was taken from Wesband.

Well there will be more encounters such as shipencounters, snowencounters and so on. I put a lot of afford into that, but so far I did not worked into a real randomgenerated map, which seems somehow complicated to me. Your level will also increase the quality of your enemies, so it shouldn't get boring - but maybe I should add more nonhostile encounters instead of plain fighting encounters.

Workers should have an "axe" from the start and a "Woodcutter Axe". As you can not equip an axe it shouldn't be changed, except when owning it.
I can't tell what went wrong. Maybe you just sold your axe?
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

I tried playing it and the wipe the banditcamp missions can't be completed because no bandits get found in the scenario.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks, I will check this.

Edit: Strange seems to be a linux related (:P) problem, or the problem is based on your version.
I have checked in 10.6 and 10.0 in Wesnoth. My game version was: 1.5.0 (my version counts 1.06)

Banditcamp worked fine, at least in the betateser mode.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

reloading made the enemies appear, not sure why it would give me 0 enemies before for 3 times in a row.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Stupid question: what's pieceof[something] and which is the relation with [something] e.g. pieceofgrain vs grain.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

As you know you can craft a lot of different items. While in the first version you needed goods such as grain and water for crafting. I later replaced them by "pieces of grain" because they don't need space on your cart - which was annoying for crafters. These items don't require any space on your cart and can be used to craft/cook different things such as pieces of equipment or consumables.

I had the idea that you could turn goods into these small parts, but I'm not quite sure if I've embedded that in the actual version.

Even so you might finish the game there is still a lot to discover. Unfortunately I played with the definition of the recipes and I've got to recheck all of them :hmm:. At the moment the smithing recipes are a little bit buggy, as they require wood instead of pieces of wood :/.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

I couldn't get any pieceof[item] working ^^
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Got to check that.

What did you try to craft?
Did you buy an anvil or workbench?
You know that you need furniture to craft/cook?
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Bought everything (beta tester mode)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Sorry it works, I test it in both 1.10.0 and 1.10.6. Note that there is still an issue concerning the smithing, this hasn't been fixed but the rest worked fine.
Besides my os or wesnoth or both are driving me insane as it seems constantly to reset coded files to an older version. :(
Attachments
Crafting.jpg
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

I'm using the latest 1.11 ...
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

I have just finished my first play through of Strange Legacy, one of the first non-mainline campaigns I have tried and I am very impressed. I did notice a few bugs though and hope you won't mind my listing them here:

Lets start with the potentially game breaking error. In crafting.cfg on line 1025, the variable bread is reduced by one every time the player makes copies for the library. Since space is not increased at the same time, this can lead to some of the player's goods carrying capacity disappearing. I believe it should be ink, instead.

In the smithing section (crafting.cfg line 1208), the number of $piecesofwood is displayed to the player, but when smithing weapons, the goods type wood is used, not piecesofwood. Also, line 1271 says "you need at least one piecesofwood and one piecesofiron! [to create a weapon]", but you actually need one wood and one iron.
On line 949, the variable $paper is displayed when it should be $papersheet|.
On line 820, the variable $water is displayed, but bowlofwater is used to grow mushrooms, so maybe it would be better to show $bowlofwater instead.
On line 1561, the reverse is true: $bowlofwater is displayed, but water is used to create brew and cookedmeat.
helpmenu.cfg
On line 570, you use the variable $water to say whether the player has the water upgrade for the cart, but water refers to the number of water goods carried. waterupgrade is the variable required here.

Not all the equipment options match their descriptions in the shops where they can be bought. For example:
The Ram Shield has no speed penalty (helpmanu.cfg line 867) but the shop in capital.cfg line 402 says it does.
The steel shield and tower shield each have one less speed penalty than listed in the shop, whilst the paladins shield says there is no penalty when there really is.
The teleport spell costs 5 mana, but in capital.cfg line 1450 the cost is listed as 1 mana.
In Desertcapital.cfg line 162, the Big Scimitar is listed as having no special, but it actually has hit and run.
There may be more, as I didn't check them all.

On lines 13962 and 13963 (in the camping section), should the consumables really require water, or should it be bowlofwater? Also, why do you need space>=2 in order to get the piecesofgrain and bowlofwater, when these items do not take up any space?

In the North.cfg, frostcityrebuild=yes does not seem to have any effect on the city itself - it is still in ruins. Perhaps wintercitydestroyed should be set to "no" at the same time.
There seems to be something wrong with line 849. Possibly it should read {TRADINGOPTION weapon $goods....

In Encountersnow.cfg line 407, value= should read rand=

Some scenarios (e.g. encounter.cfg) are missing objectives.
In Trader.cfg lines 2805 and 2806 and in TraderReturn.cfg lines 2063 and 2064, there is a missing $ before goods[*].sellhighprice
In TraderReturn.cfg line 2953 randomevent is given a value 1..25, but there are only 20 options for events.

In postadvanceevents.cfg line 637, "stoneskin=yes" should be "harder=yes" since it is in the section on harder.

Lastly, if you leave a main map and then return (e.g. due to an encounter) then any caves disappear as there is no equivalent of the restoretreasureafterencounter macro.

I also have a few questions/suggestions for you:

Is there a reason why you repeat everything from TraderReturn in Trader? Couldn't you just do the start event in Trader to set everything up and then end the scenario and send the player to TraderReturn to begin the adventure?

In achievements.cfg, why is there no achievement for reaching wildlifeskill 100?
In the diary, should there be a note of recently identified caves?

This may be a silly question, but why do you do a turncheck for each spell individually, instead of just once at the beginning, before the player chooses which spell to attempt?
To be honest, I am not sure the turn check really achieves the aim. On the main maps it is quite irritating to have to end the turn after each spell even though infinite moves are available. Have you considered using a new variable to stop the player casting more than one spell in a turn, which could then be zeroed by the infinite moves code? If it is important to prevent the player attacking and throwing a spell in the same turn, you could use $storedyou.attacks_left| (if it is 0 then you can't cast a spell, if it is 1 then you can).

In my opinion, THROWAWAYALL should actually throw everything away, not just one of each item. It should also cancel the second goods delivery quest (as the player will no longer have the goods to deliver) and set space=$maxspace|. That way, it would allow players to correct any space eating bugs like the bread/ink confusion above.

It would be nice if the "buy as many as possible"/"sell all" options in the markets listed the actual price to be paid/received, instead of the price for the first item only. Since the total has to be computed anyway if the option is chosen, this shouldn't be too difficult.
Finally, I think that the dynamic market needs some work. It is so volatile at the moment that a single load of a particular good can completely destroy the market, forcing both the sellhighprice and the highprice below zero. I think that all prices should be kept non-negative, and preferably equal to or above the (sell)lowprice of the same good.

It might seem like I have a long list of complaints, but if I tried to list everything I would like to praise about the campaign then this post would have been about a hundred times longer. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put this together and to continue to support it with bug fixes and improvements.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for your constructive feedback gloccusv.

I've already seen the bugs in crafting and will overwork it, already did that for smithing and water based ressources (not in camping however). Unfortunately that is nothing that can be done by simple search and replace, so I did it manually. Replacing $water with $bowlofwater should however work. Well never change a running system they say and even so using goods that required space was as annoying it was at least not so buggy. Unfortunately things I've definitetly changed were replaced by older version. I really don't know why - maybe its because I don't close notepad while testing, maybe it has something to do with my os.

This is reason why solving and coding has become almost impossible and very frustrating. I will try to fix all the mentioned bugs, but this weekend I'm really busy.

@lu_zero After that I will also upload it to 11.1. (the unstable, experimental version :annoyed:), which I thought I already did :/.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I've just wanted to say, that I've (just) repaired all the mentioned bugs. It will take some time to test everything, before the upload.
Thanks again for the constructive feedback gloccusv, this was really useful.

I will also implent randomdungeons from five fates, but this still needs some work and testing. So from now on you will not only be able to find caves, but random dungeons as well. Infinite dungeons as in wesband is the next step in development, maybe I can pull this off with the next development. I've also added some books, which will allow you to review cooking and crafting recipes and did some work on the code.