Jousting v 0.1.3

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

matsjoyce

Jousting v 0.1.3

Post by matsjoyce »

Jousting 0.1.3 is now out on the server

Current version is 0.1.3

Description:
Spoiler:
When posting, can you answer as many of the below questions as possible.

1.What version of Wesnoth have you used to play this campaign?
2.What version of Jousting have you played?
3.How do you rate the difficulty of this campaign in general?(1-10)
4.How do you find the storyline and the conversation of the campaign?
5.What changes do you think may be made to make the campaign more interesting?
6.If you know about Wesnoth Markup Language(WML),please comment on the WML of the various scenarios,stating how they may be improved. yield

Changelog
v 0.1.3:
Updated and changed a few things.
Spoiler:
TODO

Sprite for the King: at the moment he's a Grand Marshal
Sprite for the Queen: at the moment she's a Elvish Lady
Sprite for the Princess: the current one is just a modified Li’sar

Screenshots
Spoiler:
Last edited by matsjoyce on October 9th, 2011, 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Jousting v 0.1.0

Post by Crendgrim »

1. Wesnoth version:
1.9.8, Jousting 0.1.0
2. Difficulty:
It is too luck-based. No strategy at all. It all comes down on whether you hit or not.
I tried Sir Walter three times, died each time (as he has more powerful weapons?) and then decided to drop it.
3. Storyline:
interesting idea, I do like it.
4. Changes:
Give the player a wider range to go to (not only one field), add some strategical things.
It would be great if you could make the enemies go back to the tent, and not just moving them there. The way you're doing it makes them (sometimes) using one turn less than they would, so our hero has less time to heal.
5. WML:
You're specifying rank=15 for your campaign. However, values for rank below 400 are reserved for mainline campaigns, referring to the wiki (though too less UMC authors are actually following this guideline). This made me have a hard day *finding* your campaign :P

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

OK, about Sir Walter, I was just wondering, did Sir Miles upgrade?
Concerning the other things, I'll work on it. Thanks for the feedback.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Yes, he did. However, he still was inferior to Sir Walter.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

OK... Um, what was the attack values for Sir Walter and Sir Miles?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

1. Wesnoth 1.9.8
2. 8 - Its super luck-based. I had reload several times. And the scenario Sir Walter was too hard, even for lvl 3 Sir Miles.
3. Interesting. I like knights and chivalry. I have read many books about these things and I'm extremely happy to know that there is a campaign based on this.
4. Make the tents villages, and make Sir Walter a bit easier
5. No comment on this.
OK... Um, what was the attack values for Sir Walter and Sir Miles?
Walter had a 54-2 (due to strong trait) while Miles had 51-2 (Everytime I managed to retaliate Walter, I lose most of my HP, end up losing.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

Played on trunk, and I can only echo what the last two posters have said.

The final scenario has some potential though. Perhaps if you took the idea of choose-your-own-weapons and applied it to the earlier scenarios, you'd be on to something.

Just as examples, let the player choose armour but higher terrain defence means lower movement. A weapon, one with lower damage and first strike, one with higher damage but fewer hits. Or maybe lower damage, but more hits before the weapon breaks.

Then make the jousting arena wider and add some obstacle - swamp tiles, maybe, as a substitute for muddy patches of grass, a pile of rubble...just something.

It's a nice idea, but this much luck just isn't fun.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

Crendgrim wrote: It would be great if you could make the enemies go back to the tent, and not just moving them there. The way you're doing it makes them (sometimes) using one turn less than they would, so our hero has less time to heal.
Any ideas of how to do this? My idea in the past: here and here
Crendgrim wrote:You're specifying rank=15 for your campaign. However, values for rank below 400 are reserved for mainline campaigns, referring to the wiki (though too less UMC authors are actually following this guideline). This made me have a hard day *finding* your campaign :P
Fixed for next version.
Lord-Knightmare wrote:Walter had a 54-2 (due to strong trait) while Miles had 51-2 (Everytime I managed to retaliate Walter, I lose most of my HP, end up losing.
OK looks like a object not working I'll fix that for next version.
averyimaginativename wrote:Perhaps if you took the idea of choose-your-own-weapons and applied it to the earlier scenarios, you'd be on to something
An idea but then all the fun of having the lance snaping would go (you can't snap an axe).
averyimaginativename wrote:Just as examples, let the player choose armour but higher terrain defence means lower movement.
I'm working on when you defeat an knight you get his armor
averyimaginativename wrote:Then make the jousting arena wider and add some obstacle - swamp tiles, maybe, as a substitute for muddy patches of grass, a pile of rubble...just something.
Yup, working on that.
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

Jousting 0.1.1 is now out on the server

NEW

All above problems fixed.
You get your opponents armour.
Better maps.
You can heal on your tent.
And much more...

TODO

Sprite for the King: at the moment he's a Grand Marshal
Sprite for the Queen: at the moment she's a Elvish Lady
Sprite for the Princess: the current one is just a modified Li’sar
blueknight1758

Post by blueknight1758 »

In your text for the campaign description it says 'this text contains invalid mark-up text' not gamebreaking but there none the less.
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

In what way are the maps better? To be honest, I didn't notice any changes, but it's 15 days since I played the last version, so that could just be my bad memory.

Adding healing to the tents has made all the difference. There's still a lot of luck, but it's no longer frustrating. There's some possibly undesirable behaviour from the AI though - they'll stay there until fully healed if they can (replay attached).

I think with a bit of fleshing out this could make a nice campaign for absolute beginners to play straight after the tutorial.
Attachments
J-Sir_Boris_replay.gz
(4.43 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

blueknight1758 wrote:In your text for the campaign description it says 'this text contains invalid mark-up text' not gamebreaking but there none the less.
Yes I've found the problem. It's the & in Scenario & Campaign Development.
averyimaginativename wrote:In what way are the maps better? To be honest, I didn't notice any changes, but it's 15 days since I played the last version, so that could just be my bad memory.
I added some rocks and leaf litter to spice it up.
averyimaginativename wrote: Adding healing to the tents has made all the difference. There's still a lot of luck, but it's no longer frustrating. There's some possibly undesirable behaviour from the AI though - they'll stay there until fully healed if they can (replay attached).

I think with a bit of fleshing out this could make a nice campaign for absolute beginners to play straight after the tutorial.
Mmm, I'm going to have to work on that...
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

Jousting 0.1.2 is now out on the server

NEW

Stopped the ai sitting on his tent. Feedback wanted on this aspect.
Fixed error concerning 'The text contains invalid mark-up text'

TODO

Same as above
matsjoyce

Re: Jousting v 0.1.3

Post by matsjoyce »

Jousting 0.1.3 released! :D See above for details!
Zigg

Re: Jousting v 0.1.3

Post by Zigg »

1. Wesnoth Version: 1.10
2. Jousting Version 0.1.3
3. Difficulty: I found it quite hard because you only have one unit who is nearly identical to the enemy, and you had to use the right times to retreat for healing or lances, so I give it a 7.
4. Plot and Speech: I liked the plot, very unique for Wesnoth, and the speech was mostly good. But I groaned out loud at the 'So they married and lived happily ever after'. Lol.
5. Changes: The choose your own weapon idea could be good for the earlier scenarios, and the text could be 'I snapped my axe's pole'. But what needs work is the ending. Maybe a plot only-scenario showing the marriage?
6. WML: Can't help you there.