Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (chapter 9 is out)

Post by Dugi »

Evropi wrote:I think 'it's best if I assassinate him' sounds a bit off...
You are probably right, I'll change it.
Evropi wrote:I get a WML error on the 4th scenario, 'Paradise Lost'. Description cannot fit one line or something like that.
What? Description cannot fit one line? I have never seen anything like that. Which wesnoth version were you using? Can you send me a save file?
Evropi wrote:This is probably an engine limitation, but after Delalia levels up, the silver crown is no longer visible.
This was a bug in the campaign. This campaign is using a plenty of strange mechanisms that are needed for some features you probably haven't seen till 4th scenario.
Evropi wrote:Again, probably an engine limitation, but why is there a two-step level up sequence?
I am not quite sure why, but it was a part of an 'optimalisation' I needed to prevent the campaign from freezing for long times, having bad fps drops and needing like 5 seconds to autosave a game. What is exactly doubling the animation, I don't know.
Evropi wrote:Now what I'd really like to see is an MP campaign or scenario from Dugi, now that would be just awesome.
I have written two MP scenarios, but they are both just parts of this campaign and aren't quite well balanced. I am occasionally working on a Wesband-like project named World of Wesnoth (not worth trying at the moment, some features may be impressive, but it is badly incomplete), but it is paused at the moment because I wanted to write chapter 9 of this campaign.
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

In chapter 9, if
Spoiler:
dies, nobody even cares to comment (not even "Oops" from Efraim, which would be expected in real situation).
Pete2004

Post by Pete2004 »

Dugi wrote:
pete2004 wrote:I don't. A whole campaign with only 2 units would be boring.
You mean you didn't, right? It is a bit confusing.
Yes, I meant "did'nt" :?
I am mostly using 1.10.6, so it should not be a speciality of 1.11.1's new AI. 1.11.2 does not seem to support the F5 button to reload the data, that is essential when coding WML.
I forgot to report 2 other bugs. The anti-slow ability of unraveler armour don't work for me. And the option "No, I never wanted to create anything, I just misclicked" don't abort the crafting. Instead, we obtain a weaponword/armourword sort item. Every unit can take one weaponword and one armourword (with 100% of the resistance promised).
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@edwardspec I forgot to add that dialogue. Will be uploaded in the next version.

@Pete2004
The code looks correct, I will have to see what is wrong.
And thanks for reminding me the crafting exploit bug.
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

Hi! I've attempted to play chapter 9 (woot, it's out! Nice!) and...
1) I failed to continue from chapter 8 I played earlier. Game tells that scenario 01_Transporting_Facility not found. That's odd. So I had to restart from scratch.
2) Okay, that's where more problems occured. First, at startup I'm asked if I want to lvl up heroes a bit since their redeem is too weak vs such a horrible demons. I chosen both. Lethalia levels up fine. However, Efraim leveling up is deferred and he only gains all levels after some fights. This makes it quite unexpected :)
3) Well, there is randomly generated equipment in store. Though I found no hints about it. And only occasionally discovered it. Granted that is's only available for 2 turns, it could be smart to put visible warning about store for campaigns started from scratch. Else there is risk player will be seriously underpowered after 2 turns.
4) Even with randomly generated units and items I managed to get "invalid" combos on 1st try. Invalid means that upon some actions some units receive absolutely weird HP bonus. Bonus is so huge that it fails to fit the screen and unit becomes absolutely unkillable by anything on absolutely any map.

All this has been tested on Xubuntu 12.10 64bit - Battle for Wesnoth 10.4

Sample save for 4) is attached. You can see Blyn (Champion Bowman) has just got awkward HP bonus on attack and in fact is unkillable (it haves so many HPs that I can't even see whole number of HPs on right panel).
Attachments
LotI2-Transporting_Facility_Turn_1-weird_heals.gz
(258.5 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

Dugi wrote:
Evropi wrote:I get a WML error on the 4th scenario, 'Paradise Lost'. Description cannot fit one line or something like that.
What? Description cannot fit one line? I have never seen anything like that. Which wesnoth version were you using? Can you send me a save file?
The version is 1.11.2 used, which is the latest development version as of the time of writing.

I tried going through the replay but it closed upon the third turn as [choose] was expected and was not found, it read. I couldn't find it through the autosaves, either, unfortunately, but it happened to me sometime near or soon after defeating green and attacking purple.

I recall it printing something along the lines of the above error, but I also recall it saying 'no longer' or something like that. It suggests this error was indeed due to some deprecated function, which is why I ranted a little in my reply. Hope that helps. You can always ask a Wesnoth developer in one of the IRC channels.
Dugi wrote:
Evropi wrote:Again, probably an engine limitation, but why is there a two-step level up sequence?
I am not quite sure why, but it was a part of an 'optimalisation' I needed to prevent the campaign from freezing for long times, having bad fps drops and needing like 5 seconds to autosave a game. What is exactly doubling the animation, I don't know.
Heh, a bit of Lua may do the trick there. I'm pretty sure it is interpreted way faster than WML ever was. Not saying you should rewrite it all in Lua for the sake of this stupid thing. However, if you ever have such problems in the future - Lua is your friend.
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@t3st3r
1. Damn, I forgot to make it load its files. Fixed, uploaded immediately.
2. Efraim should get exp in the second turn. He did it on my computer and also somebody else reported it. Strange. Which version of wesnoth were you using?
3. You were told about it. I have reformulated it to make it more visible.
4. Because you're using wesnoth 1.10.4. Wesnoth 1.10.3 and wesnoth 1.10.4 have a serious bug in the interpretation of one WML tag. It will work well on 1.10.5, 1.10.6 and 1.11. I was reported errors of this kind repeatedly and I was not able to replicate them on 1.10.5 and higher (even if I used the save file created just before it).
Thanks for feedback.

@Evropi
The 'Paradise Lost' scenario is absolutely primitive code-wise (it was the 4th scenario ever wrote), there is just some code executed when you start the scenario, when you defeat the enemies, and if you lose. It is probably related to the items' system, but in that case I have no idea what might be the cause. What was happening there? Did an enemy die? Did an enemy leader die? Did a unit advance? And, by the way, 2.5.0 will not work well on 1.11.2, I have fixed the bug yesterday, so you might need to update.

Lua will not help here. The problem was not that some WML actions took too long to execute, it was that too much metadata was stored about units and the game had difficulties to load units from RAM all the time (because it happens whenever you scroll, select units, and so on, no WML needs to be called), resulting in severe FPS drops and also save files were like 30 megabytes large (only 2 when packed, though), making it take 5 seconds to autosave. The only thing I could do was to find a way to prevent it from storing the useless metadata, and this was the only solution.

I released the fix as version 2.5.2, because the bug was classifiable as fatal.
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

Dugi wrote: The 'Paradise Lost' scenario is absolutely primitive code-wise (it was the 4th scenario ever wrote), there is just some code executed when you start the scenario, when you defeat the enemies, and if you lose. It is probably related to the items' system, but in that case I have no idea what might be the cause. What was happening there? Did an enemy die? Did an enemy leader die? Did a unit advance? And, by the way, 2.5.0 will not work well on 1.11.2, I have fixed the bug yesterday, so you might need to update.
Aha! I got the error again on 'Shatter the Defilers', which I think is scenario 6 or 7 of the first campaign. It happened soon after I walked over an item. Yep, it probably is related, as I think I picked up an item on the supposedly bugged scenario 4 too. It's probably some outdated WML in the item library (well, it really should be a library by now or you sir are writing too much code!) :eng: .

Also, I remember a bit clearer now but unfortunately I forgot to note down the error, it was something like '<Invalid WML> Description can no longer start with a name on the first line'. Unfortunately, my memory is terrible so I cannot remember the exact error message. If I see it again, I promise I will note it down. :oops:
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Can you please write it down for the next time? This error is not overly frequent because I haven't encountered it while testing, so it might be something specific. I have searched 1.11.2's lua, but I couldn't find that sentence, you probably remembered it wrongly. Reading the lua code to learn where it happened and under what conditions was the error message fired will be essential at identifying the bug. Will unequeipping and equipping back repeat the bug?

It is not possible that the 'item library' get outdated regarding descriptions, because they are automatically generated by WML codes at the start of every scenario.

Also, how much did that error damage the events? Did you just see the error and nothing strange happened, or something went really bad? Because as far as I know, errors of the <Invalid WML found> kind usually terminate any WML being executed.
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

Chapter 9, "Where the Hatred Grows": computer moves calculation is unnaturally slow (from 30 seconds to 1 minute). Too many units/sides on the map at the same time?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Too many units, probably not divided into enough sides. I will try to divide them into more sides and see if it gets better.
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

Chapter 9, "Doom Ford": can't go to "Plains of Chaos" (to the north). Moved a unit to the label, but nothing happened (no "Do you want to go to location" menu).
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Will be fixed in the next release. If you want to go there now, try to move on all northern hexes on the border between normal and impassable mountains, there are several accessible hexes that will let you get there.
jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

Just updated to 2.5.1 went back to last save on chapter 8. It appears that any unit can enter the portal ( at least until it fills up) ( edit italics fixed in 2.5.2 then chapter 9 fails to load with the missing 01-Transporting facility message reported earlier. )
I released the fix as version 2.5.2, because the bug was classifiable as fatal.
I can't find version 2.5.2
edit found it on the main server but not as an update add-on only as a new campaign.

The chapter 6 dialogue works for me just the way it is. However for some it obviously doesn't - perhaps if more is made of Glubs curse and Lethelia suggests the preserved litch as a way of breaking the curse - but I'm grasping at straws - creativity isn't one of my strong points.
edwardspec

Post by edwardspec »

Chapter 9, "Halls of Miscreation".

My units appeared in a sealed chamber with no visible way out.