Fire-Forged Friends

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zamael

Re: Fire-Forged Friends

Post by Zamael »

Oh wait, now I found them.

Thanks for the tutorials. I'll see if something happens.

(But I still need someone to do all the sprites and art and possibly a few custom units.)

Edit: Damn that's a lot of text! What did I just tell you about me being intimidated by a lot of text that I can't understand?
This is a shameless ad. It contains my campaign. Please enjoy it. All comments and feedback much appreciated.
AladorIsithir

Post by AladorIsithir »

They would be in Userdata/editor/maps.

As for Programming, it's not that hard. I'm not good at it and still get a lot of errors(Of course I probably try to do programing a bit out of my league) but learning the basics isn't hard. If you Have troubles actually getting the file, you simply change a txt. or Wordpad to a cfg.

Take a look at the wiki instead of asking users to do it for you. When you get up and running though, you'll find that a lot of people are willing to help. :D

oops someone posted right before me

As for your story line, i like it a lot
Last edited by AladorIsithir on September 13th, 2009, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working on "The Dark Brotherhood Era"
Working on "Surviving the North" Campaign
Working on "intro scene"
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

I like this campaign a lot. One small niggle is the saurian with a blanket, though - lizards don't have internal heating.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

But where am I even supposed to save my files?

I mean seriously. When you throw so much text at me, I become completely paralyzed and unable to think for myself: all I can do is follow the text and do what it says. It needs to pick me up by hand, and guide me around like a babbling little child, and it doesn't do that. Does the text, at any point, tell me where I should save my text files? No, I apparently can't find any: such things should be told right off the bat. In fact, it doesn't ever even say "Please open your notepad and write down the stuff said here". I can't do even that much without instructions. Honest.

Okay... I've gained a bit of positive feedback of this campaign of mine so far. Some of you actually want to play this thing? That's great, I feel honored. But if you want me to do all the work, you will have to wait possibly years, and also know that you're putting me through a massive load of despair and emotional turmoil I never wished I'd end up in. I probably can't keep this up: I haven't even really started yet and I already feel like quitting and never returning. Can you put a man through all that for your entertainment and still sleep well at night? Can you?

(Sniffle) Is it just so... damn too much to ask that... if I already do all the scripting and map making and actual planning and all the difficult stuff... (Tear) some wonderful human being could do a little bit of coding...? Pretty please? (Puppy eyes)
The1exile wrote:One small niggle is the saurian with a blanket, though - lizards don't have internal heating.
So they're not supposed to survive in the winter at all without going hibernation, yet we see that happen occasionally. I assume it's just some weird fantasy lizard thing. Realism was never the strong point of any fantasy.
This is a shameless ad. It contains my campaign. Please enjoy it. All comments and feedback much appreciated.
Huston

Post by Huston »

you save them in /userdata/data/campaigns/(the folder that will contain your .cfg files)

you don't save them as .txt documents, you save them as .cfg files by creating a text document and changing the extension. .cfg means config

start in the basic scenarios building tutorial.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

But if I save them at /userdata, how can I actually try to see if they work? The game itself can't seem to find them.

(Also I actually figured out all your instructions by myself, once I stopped whining and started to do something. Funny how it works. Thanks anyway.)
Huston

Post by Huston »

have you created a folder to contain all of your map files and all of your scenario files? if so what is it's name?
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

Test_Campaign, as was instructed in the tutorial. It has the /campaigns and /scenarions subfolders, containing all the relevant files.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Zamael wrote:Test_Campaign, as was instructed in the tutorial. It has the /campaigns and /scenarions subfolders, containing all the relevant files.
You mean this one?
Attachments
campaign.zip
(10.57 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

I have no idea what that has to do with anything. Any tutorials certainly didn't speak of such.

Please don't make this even more complicated.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Well, basically, if you have a main file, a scenario file, and a map file in the each of folder, and installed as well, the campaign works.
After that, your work will be much easier.

When I was your situation, I also thought it would take more than a year, but it did not take that much actually.

At least, English is your first language, isn't it?
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Huston

Post by Huston »

step 1: rename the folder to Fire_Forged_Friends this will be your campaign's main folder
step 2: create a folder inside of your folder titled Fire_Forged_Friends named maps
step 3: create a folder inside of your folder titled Fire_Forged_Friends named scenarios
step 4: put all of the maps you have made so far into the maps file you created
step 5: be sure the names of the maps do not contain any spaces and are named as the title of the scenario it goes to just be sure they have the file extension of .map
step 6: create a file named _main.cfg inside of the Fire_Forged_Friends folder(this file is what allows the game to recognize your add-on.
step 7: create your scenario files.
step 8: debug after each new scenario is added.
step 9: publish
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

SkyOne wrote:Well, basically, if you have a main file, a scenario file, and a map file in the each of folder, and installed as well, the campaign works.
After that, your work will be much easier.
But the tutorial adviced me to put it in userdata/data instead of the normal data, in order to not mess up with the present campaigns. Do I have to move it out from there and risk breaking my game?
When I was your situation, I also thought it would take more than a year, but it did not take that much actually.
Yeah, maybe I was exaggerating. And I'd seem to be a generally fast learner, once I really get my mind into it.
At least, English is your first language, isn't it?
Actually it isn't: but I can read and write it well enough that it might as well be.

Edit: Also I can't seem to change default files in my map editor: it always saves all maps someplace completely different by default, and it's a pain to move them from there manually.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Zamael wrote:But the tutorial adviced me to put it in userdata/data instead of the normal data, in order to not mess up with the present campaigns. Do I have to move it out from there and risk breaking my game?
Ah, yeah, it is possible to happen, especially for _main.cfg, but once, you create the main file as well, I think it will be all right. Maybe, it is happened by the scenario files, too, but as long as you have the [scenario] tag with [/scenario] (closing one), I believe it will be okay. Or keep the folder on the desktop. (even it crashes them, restarting Wesnoth will solve it.)
Zamael wrote:Edit: Also I can't seem to change default files in my map editor: it always saves all maps someplace completely different by default, and it's a pain to move them from there manually.
You do not have to move the map files until your scenario is ready. There is an editor folder somewhere in user data on your computer. On Mac, it is in user/preference, but I am not sure other operating system.

P.S. follow Huston's advise. (step1 to 9) That is great.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

Zamael, if you do start making progress and shaping this into a real campaign I'd be willing to serve as editor for you.

I'm pretty good at that kind of stuff