1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Simons Mith

Re: 1.6.x SP campaign, Fate of a Princess

Post by Simons Mith »

@Huston Oh, that is annoying to hear. I was using a UTF8 text editor to enter the codes, so it should be OK. Emphasis on 'should' of course. What characters are you having problems with?

The game includes diareses in some of the elvish names, as well as acute and grave accents. Other than that I was using the unicode ellipsis character (...) and en dashes rather than a hyphen. However, if there are any hard spaces, that is unintended.

Stripping the characters out will take me about three minutes, but I was hoping to use correct typography throughout the campaign.

(co-author speaking)

Edit: Actually, even more useful, can you confirm which accented characters are displaying correctly?

Huston

Post by Huston »

how's this?
Spoiler:
that is what isn't displaying right in the first scenario. did you use a basic text editor similar to notepad, wordpad, or ubuntu's gedit?

Scenario 3b problem:
Spoiler:
there are also issues with the sighted evnt in scenario 3.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

No, I used a programmer's editor called Zap, which claims to support UTF8, Thai, Arabic, Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew and others. It all looked right when I tried it. In fact, when I used the very same editor to view the source code you've just posted, the symbols still appear correctly, so the corruption is being accurately preserved across your system and back to mine. Doh. Still 'works for me' isn't much use when you're on a minority platform, so I'll arrange with SkyOne to strip 'em all out, at least for now.

Strange. And bugger.

But thank you for letting me know.

Huston

Post by Huston »

install wine on your system so that you have notepad. if something doesn't display in notepad. then it won't display ingame.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Uh, the ellipsis character, em dashes, and en dashes are capable of being displayed in the game (I know this because I tested them in my campaign); I produce them using a compose key. As long as everything is encoded in UTF-8, everything should work fine.

Simons Mith: Which operating system are you using, and how do you produce ellipses and en dashes?
melinath

Post by melinath »

The code bits you posted display fine on my screen (presently windows vista).

EDIT:: Scratch that. It's messed up. I just didn't notice because the screwy characters were not being displayed.

Also, there are plenty of good text editors out there. Installing wine just to use a crappy program like notepad doesn't seem worth it.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Huston wrote: it is really wierd seeing a random outline of a square in the dialog you are reading.
Yes! It does not show the most of the times on Mac. Thanks for telling us. You are on Windows, aren't you? I have rewritten the dialogues that you pointed on the new version. I hope that it has been gone on it.

New Edition :0.2.2 has been released.
(The all changes are from this thread.)
Spoiler:
thanks
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Huston

Post by Huston »

actually i run ubuntu linux and microsoft windows. this problem i discovered from my computer running ubuntu.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Espreon wrote:Simons Mith: Which operating system are you using, and how do you produce ellipses and en dashes?
RISC OS. I also have a recent iMac with OS X, but it's currently in a storage warehouse in Erith, and will be for some weeks more.

To make ellipses and dashes I intially used the same character inserter that I use for accented characters. If there's already an existing character nearby, I'll cut and paste, or once I know the 'correct' code, I just enter it manually. I don't think it's an editor bug as such, I think it's a problem with the unicode character mappings - my local ellipsis characters don't map correctly to anyone else's.

docrock

Post by docrock »

hi, finally back at it. i now was able to beat "In the Swamps". but only by increasing turns to 25 which gave me a chance to finish in turn 22 instead of the regular 20 turns. so maybe that may be the way to go.

edit: so, i am at the "Hydra Cavern" where i find that bow, just ... it won't let me pick it up. i tried with the dwarfish warden and a drake blademaster, but both of them "are not strong enough". hard to imagine that a drake blademaster is not strong enough to pick up that bow. ah well, maybe some explanation would be good at this one, like say "maybe an elven champion should try it" or that like.

edit2: for "Hydra Cavern" also goes that it is very tight turnwise. maybe add 3 or 5 turns, i was barely able to finish in time (ok, i killed both hydrae, took the bow finally with an elven champion, took the time to kill all the sea monsters and so on), yet still i just managed to finish on turn 40 (remember, default difficulty, i don't wanna try this on hard). a bit of comfort for the player might be absolutely in order here, it's still a mad rush and a less experienced player might just give up.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

docrock wrote: edit: so, i am at the "Hydra Cavern" where i find that bow, just ... it won't let me pick it up. i tried with the dwarfish warden and a drake blademaster, but both of them "are not strong enough". hard to imagine that a drake blademaster is not strong enough to pick up that bow. ah well, maybe some explanation would be good at this one, like say "maybe an elven champion should try it" or that like.
Good point - the current message only make sense if you send someone who is already an archer. I'll produce a non-archer message or two.

SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thanks, docrock. The parts that you mentioned has been improved on this edition.

The version 0.2.3 is released!
The changes are not much at this time:

Scenario 9, In the Swamps: added 2 turns on each difficulty-level.

Scenario 13, Hydra Cavern: added 3 turns on each difficulty-level, and changed the cannot-take-message of the Crystal Bow.

Scenario 17, Dragon Cave: added an event for a monolith.

P.S. Crossing versions are possible for all, 0.2.1~0.2.3.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Huston

Post by Huston »

aren't you done with all the scenario's coding? if so it should technically be at or past version 1.0.0 bugfixes aren't included in finishing the campaign. as long is has no game crashing bugs and it is done meaning it has a scenario that wraps up the story, it is ok to set at version 1.0.0

there are still unknown characters. and instead of me isolating them by looking through the code(forgive me but i am lazy and it is late at night) i am going to post the rest of the scenarios(the whole scenario's code) inside their own separate code tags inside of a single spoiler tag(this will allow you to view the discrepancies). have fun. listed scenarios start with scenario 4
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Huston on July 27th, 2009, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huston

Post by Huston »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Huston

Post by Huston »

Turuk sorry for posting so many times in a row. but they are unable to see the problems any other way and i kept running out of characters in each post. to the creators of fate of a princess this should keep you busy for about a week. theis post takes it through scenario 16. have fun.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler: