New Campaign: The War of Time

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Captain_Wrathbow

New Campaign: The War of Time

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Hello everyone, this is my first campaign so it isn't very immersive or perfect, but oh well it is still fun to play. Not quite finished, okay, about halfway finished, eight or nine scenarios so far I think. All but the latest one are complete and playable, but maybe not quite balanced. One dialogue-only scenario.

Campaign description: Elerion is a young man whose village was ransacked by orcs when he was a child. HE discovers a group of mages who inform him that he is destined to embark on an epic quest that ends up leading to every corner of the great continent- ...and through every era of time known to Wesnoth.

My Campaign is really out there compared to most other campaigns, (i.e. it has a time-travelling theme) and I'm not sure if it is entirely Wesnoth-historically-accurate. I'm progressing through its development pretty slowly, but I think I will finish it someday.

Note: I designed this campaign for version 1.4 of Wesnoth, so compatibility with other releases is not guaranteed.

Note Two: When I designed this campaign, I did not keep it in my userdata directory, rather I had it stored directly in the game's campaign directory. I'm not sure if this matters at all, but if it does, the campaign won't work when placed in the userdata directory.

I'm having trouble with the size limit on attachments, so currently the campaign can't be downloaded. Any help or ideas? I'll post it as soon as I figure out how.
KKSlider

Re: New Campaign: The War of Time

Post by KKSlider »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I'm having trouble with the size limit on attachments, so currently the campaign can't be downloaded. Any help or ideas? I'll post it as soon as I figure out how.
Try splitting the campaign folder into more archives, or host it in a free online file-hosting site (like Mediafire) and then linking the download here.
"I love humanity, but I just can't stand people"

Current project(s): Campaign - An Ordinary Adventure
Sono Italiano, se servono traduzioni contattatemi (con calma, e in fila indiana XD).
melinath

Post by melinath »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Note: I designed this campaign for version 1.4 of Wesnoth, so compatibility with other releases is not guaranteed.

Note Two: When I designed this campaign, I did not keep it in my userdata directory, rather I had it stored directly in the game's campaign directory. I'm not sure if this matters at all, but if it does, the campaign won't work when placed in the userdata directory.

I'm having trouble with the size limit on attachments, so currently the campaign can't be downloaded. Any help or ideas? I'll post it as soon as I figure out how.
1. I doubt many people are still using 1.4... why not update?

2. userdata is a good idea. Depending on how you made the campaign, it might work there, too.
3. Upload it onto the add-on server.
Huston

Post by Huston »

also if it doesn't work in the userdata folder and you get stuck trying to fix it. the wml workshop has people willing to answer your questions.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Captain_Wrathbow

I'm sure this isn't the neatest or most effective way of doing it, but at least now the campaign can be downloaded. I put my media files (sound, music, images) in a separate folder, so you have to unzip both folders and put the media folders in the campaign folder along with Utils, Scenarios, etc. Keep in mind that I have not yet updated it to the newest version, and that it may not work in the userdata directory. To be honest, I'm new to campaign designing, so I'm not totally sure of what I'm doing.
War_of_Time.zip
War of Time
(33.04 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
media.zip
media
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 153 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

melinath wrote:1. I doubt many people are still using 1.4... why not update?
This is a good point. It would not take much for you to update to 1.6, and this way you could put in on the add-on server for more people to play and test your campaign.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Captain_Wrathbow

What else do I have to do to get it updated besides changing to the transparent background portraits? Like I said before, I'm not really sure what I'm doing.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

That is all minor details, you just have to make sure that you have made the appropriate changes in code for your add-on so that it works on 1.6.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Captain_Wrathbow

Huston mentioned the wml workshop. What's that? I've never heard of it.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Huston mentioned the wml workshop. What's that? I've never heard of it.
Well, I would imagine that looking around would provide you with an answer, as it is the forum only three above this one...
Picture 13.png
Its purpose can be divined by reading the text underneath the title and poking around inside the forum itself.
Captain_Wrathbow

oh, uh... thanks...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:oh, uh... thanks...
Not a problem. You can often figure out the answers to most questions by poking around on your own or using search.
alextit

Post by alextit »

it will be available when on 1.6
sorry I use a no translator
Captain_Wrathbow

Okay, well, I updated all my syntax to the newest version and gave my portraits the transparent background. So when I try to test my campaign, I open Wesnoth, click "campaigns", start up the campaign, but while it is loading I get an "Unknown unit type" error message. I did change my custom unit's tags from "[unit]" to "[unit_type]" so I assume this is a problem with my "_main" file. I have compared it to other _main files but I still can't find the error. ANY suggestions are welcome, once I fix this the campaign should be completely compatible with the newest version of wesnoth.
Here is my "_main" file:
Spoiler:
melinath

Post by melinath »

Ah! You moved it to userdata? Yay! You just need to change the last bit to this:

Code: Select all

[binary_path]
path=data/campaigns/War_of_Time
[/binary_path]
{@campaigns/War_of_Time/sounds}
{@campaigns/War_of_Time/music}
{@campaigns/War_of_Time/utils}
[+units]
{@campaigns/War_of_Time/units}
[/units]

{@campaigns/War_of_Time/scenarios}
That should fix it...