Campaign: Warda: A Hidden Threat

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jorrit

Campaign: Warda: A Hidden Threat

Post by jorrit »

Hi all,

Me and my two oldest children are creating a fictional world called Warda. As one part of this fictional world (but not the only one) we are busy creating a Battle of Wesnoth campaign. The campaign is called 'Warda: A Hidden Threat' and has four functional but not really balanced scenarios. The campaign also contains a dutch translation already (my kids speak Dutch so I need to create the dutch translation immediatelly).

These four scenarios are more or less ready but I think they are not very balanced yet. I'd like to hear what you think about them so far.

This is my first ever campaign so I may have been doing some things wrong.

Greetings and thanks,

BTW. Some things I forgot to mention:
  • The races of Wesnoth that I used are approximations. In Warda there are other races and in the future I might perhaps make custom units for them.
  • This campaign is going to be story heavy. We have a specific story in mind (that I'm not going to spoil here yet :-) )
  • It was made for 1.6 and I don't know if it will work with older versions of Battle of Wesnoth.
docrock

Re: Campaign: Warda: A Hidden Threat

Post by docrock »

hi, been playing on BfW 1.6.4 with default difficulty. comments so far:

- i like the adventure style and the story loadedness
- technically fine done, no errors for me, you might just consider adding 01_ and so on in front of your scenario names
- for default difficulty it seemed a bit easy to me which was mostly due to the huge gold carryover i had, maybe cut that a bit
- in "Ambush" the first enemy leader should get a second keep a bit to the west of his first, it's just too easy to drive him from there and then all his gold is useless, i just say give the dwarf hero that lightning thingy and that orc will run like he has a huge urge to relief himself
- the maps in "Andol visits Quinta" and "Investigation" are a bit huge for my taste, they make it too easy to outflank the enemy, like i used the elves to tie up the orcs in the north while going with the fencer through the south having him free the dwarfes and then killing them from behind

else: nice work, keep it up, i am already looking forward to the further scenarios :D
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
jorrit

Post by jorrit »

docrock wrote:hi, been playing on BfW 1.6.4 with default difficulty. comments so far:

- i like the adventure style and the story loadedness
- technically fine done, no errors for me, you might just consider adding 01_ and so on in front of your scenario names
- for default difficulty it seemed a bit easy to me which was mostly due to the huge gold carryover i had, maybe cut that a bit
- in "Ambush" the first enemy leader should get a second keep a bit to the west of his first, it's just too easy to drive him from there and then all his gold is useless, i just say give the dwarf hero that lightning thingy and that orc will run like he has a huge urge to relief himself
- the maps in "Andol visits Quinta" and "Investigation" are a bit huge for my taste, they make it too easy to outflank the enemy, like i used the elves to tie up the orcs in the north while going with the fencer through the south having him free the dwarfes and then killing them from behind

else: nice work, keep it up, i am already looking forward to the further scenarios :D
Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll certainly keep it in mind. I was on a vacation so I didn't have much chance to continue but now I'm already busy with the next scenario. But given your points I will first adjust the current scenarios a bit.

About the size of the maps I will think about either decreasing the size or else putting some impassable mountains at the bottom so that you can't follow that route anymore.

Greetings,
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Some breaks in the text lines at random spots, starts a new line.

Scenario 1
-Nice, simple plot.
-Map funnels both sides into the road at the top. I used it to trap orcs and slaughter them.

Scenario 2
-Nice map, seems a bit unnecessarily big, but no matter as you can just go through to get at the enemy.
-Still a bit easy to walk over the enemy.

Scenario 3
- I like the directed map, emphasizes the player must move to the end.
-Still easy, I just used the orcs as experience fodder, and still had plenty of gold left over.

Great campaign so far, I look forward to seeing where it goes.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
jorrit

Post by jorrit »

Turuk wrote:Some breaks in the text lines at random spots, starts a new line.
I don't understand what you mean by this? Can you give an example?
Scenario 3
- I like the directed map, emphasizes the player must move to the end.
-Still easy, I just used the orcs as experience fodder, and still had plenty of gold left over.
Yes, I will tweak the amount of gold a little. It is a bit high in general.

Greetings,
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

jorrit wrote:I don't understand what you mean by this? Can you give an example?
Instances like the following. They show in both the pre-scenario text and the scenarios themselves.
Attachments
Picture 25.png
Picture 24.png
Picture 24.png (8.23 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
jorrit

Post by jorrit »

Hmm I see. The way I put it in the scenario file is as follows:

Code: Select all

[part]
            story= _ "This is the world of Warda.
Once a place were war raged, it is now home to the three free races:
The Palintorians, the Gismosians, and the Vastorians.
For hundreds of years there has been peace, but now things are changing.
The foul creatures of Morda are stirring again
and dark clouds are gathering over the Mordagra mountains."
        [/part]
Is there a way to break a very long line like that without forcing newlines in the actual output?

Greetings,
melinath

Post by melinath »

jorrit wrote:Hmm I see. The way I put it in the scenario file is as follows:

[part]
            story= _ "This is the world of Warda.
Once a place were war raged, it is now home to the three free races:
The Palintorians, the Gismosians, and the Vastorians.
For hundreds of years there has been peace, but now things are changing.
The foul creatures of Morda are stirring again
and dark clouds are gathering over the Mordagra mountains."
        [/part]
Is there a way to break a very long line like that without forcing newlines in the actual output?

Greetings,
Wesnoth already breaks lines for you. The way you have it now is forcing newlines... you need to remove the newlines you're forcing and let the engine do its work.

[part]
            story= _ "This is the world of Warda. Once a place were war raged, it is now home to the three free races: The Palintorians, the Gismosians, and the Vastorians. For hundreds of years there has been peace, but now things are changing. The foul creatures of Morda are stirring again and dark clouds are gathering over the Mordagra mountains."
        [/part]

jorrit

Post by jorrit »

melinath wrote: Wesnoth already breaks lines for you. The way you have it now is forcing newlines... you need to remove the newlines you're forcing and let the engine do its work.
Ok, but that's annoying to edit in my editor.

But ok, if that's how it should be...

Greetings,
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

jorrit wrote:Ok, but that's annoying to edit in my editor.
Annoying, maybe, but it's also annoying for all those who want to play your campaign and see all the strange line breaks. ;)
jorrit

Post by jorrit »

Thanks to all the comments I updated the campaign. Here is a summary of the changes:
  • Removed all unneeded linebreaks in text.
  • Based on the comments here made the first four scenarios a bit more complicated (less money to be earned and less loopholes for the player to exploit). At least I hope. I also hope it is not too difficult now :)
  • Because I was playing my levels without music I didn't notice that every scenario had the same music. I added a bit of variation now.
  • Added a new fifth scenario. This was a pretty complicated one to write. A lot of things going on here and pretty hard to balance. I also tried to show a visual effect when a dwarf is transformed in an undead dwarf. It is not bad but maybe people here have suggestions on how to make it even cooler.
  • To accomodate the fifth scenario I had to alter the end of scenario four.
Let me know what you think.

The money thing is pretty hard to balance for me. When things are too low it gets too complicated too soon (for me at least) and if money is too high it gets easy too soon. I appreciate any comments in this area and I hope current version is already better then the previous one.

Greetings and thanks!