Insane Hermit

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by EvilEarl »

I have just released version 0.8.2. I have redone the maps for scenarios 1-5 to make the scenarios move along more quickly and have done a rough balancing of them.

I have also fixed some bugs with the units on resistances and image sprites, and modified the dialogue in certain places.

I am not sure about the issues that people have reported with the ai on scenarios 1 and 5 as I don't have problems with them, but it seems to have something to do with the keeps being close together so I moved them apart. This may or may not stop the problems and I would like to know if it doesn't.

As always I will gladly address each issue you point out in the campaign. And I am still open for a better race name for the magic spawn.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

I just fixed a problem that kept the campaign from starting. For some reason, when I put my lengthy description of the magic spawn in the units file, it won't work.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Version 0..9 uploaded to the add-on server. This features the epilogue scenario, thereby completing the storyline for this part. Future versions will probably feature more unit animations and stat variation.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Dusk

Post by Dusk »

The first two scenarios are really good(Cavalrymen pwned by little blobs 8) ), but every time I beat the Dragonguard, a dialog box comes up and says "The game could not be saved," and then it freezes and I have to restart Wesnoth.
EvilEarl wrote: And I am still open for a better race name for the magic spawn.
I think I might have a better name for them. You know Era of Myths? You could call them Elementals. And I think you should probably change them a bit, like the fire ones might have movement costs and bad resistances on water, and the ice could be bad on lava, and so on.
Last edited by Dusk on September 27th, 2009, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The one that kills is not always the one that lives."
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Dusk wrote:The first two scenarios are really good, but every time I beat the Dragonguard, a dialog box comes up and says "The game could not be saved," and then it freezes and I have to restart Wesnoth.
I just tried that scenario and I don't get any problems. Are you using the latest release of 1.6? If so, what OS are you using for Wesnoth (Windows, Mac, Linux)? I received reports on ai bugs early on that I didn't get. My best guess if you aren't using Ubuntu for this then there may be minor bugs for the Wesnoth releases for Windows and such.
Dusk wrote:think I might have a better name for them. You know Era of Magic? You could call them Elementals.
That's actually the race that I modified the sprites from, I just thought that Elementals would be too general for a creation by a crazy super-mage. But now that I think about it, Magic Spawn is worse than that and it doesn't sound right so I'll probably switch to Elementals in the next release unless something better comes by.
Dusk wrote:And I think you should probably change them a bit, like the fire ones might have movement costs and bad resistances on water, and the ice could be bad on lava, and so on.
Due to the conditions of their creation, the renamed Elementals will use the same custom movement type, but things such as damage, alignments and stuff will be different for each element. I've gotten complaints about the gameplay being monotonous because of the matching stats, so unit variation is now a priority on my list.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Dusk

Post by Dusk »

EvilEarl wrote: Are you using the latest release of 1.6? If so, what OS are you using for Wesnoth (Windows, Mac, Linux)? I received reports on ai bugs early on that I didn't get. My best guess if you aren't using Ubuntu for this then there may be minor bugs for the Wesnoth releases for Windows and such.
I use Windows XP.
"The one that kills is not always the one that lives."
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Dusk wrote:I use Windows XP.
The cross-compatability with Windows and Linux is the only thing I can think of for the bugs I'm not getting. Wesnoth has some changes between each OS which I have to guess is the problem.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
KrokoNoir

Post by KrokoNoir »

Hi.
It's odd, because in the scenario with the orcs, I discovered that the Magic Spawns can be poisoned...
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Dusk, I've found out the solution to your problem and will put it in my next release (hopefully within the week).
KrokoNoir wrote:It's odd, because in the scenario with the orcs, I discovered that the Magic Spawns can be poisoned...
I'm probably going to give them an ability or trait that prevents poisoning.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Version 0.9.1 is out, the only change is a bug fix that now allows the proper transition between scenarios 2 and 3 (I hope. I haven't encountered the problem on my computer so I hope this works.)
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
jpaulson

Post by jpaulson »

Some balancing comments:
Scenario 2 (vs. the dwarves) is too easy (only 1 leader)
Scenario 3 (vs. the orcs) is too hard (requires assassinations relying on extreme enemy stupidity and a fair dose of luck)
Scenario 4 (vs. the undead) is WAY too easy (60 gold for each leader...?)
Scenario 6 ("The Lab") is way too congested. I'm now on turn 16/35 and it takes many minutes for the enemies to do their moves (with accelerated speed to x16 and animate AI moves turned off). The problem gets worse with every turn. Makes it virtually unplayable. Especially since my turns are basically nothing (move units to fill gaps in chokepoints). This scenario needs to be rethought.

The maps for the first 4 scenarios are too big. It takes a long time to engage the enemies, which isn't fun.

The style in general is very un-Wesnothian (no unit advancement, no economics, no terrain b/c of 60% def. everywhere and all-magical attacks), etc. It's sort of fun to have these epic battles, but there's no depth, and there's ultimately very little strategy or tactics. Make an effort to add in unit advancement (you already have all the units), economics (perhaps villages are "magic nodes"), etc. and you'll end up with a much richer, fuller campaign.
jpaulson

Post by jpaulson »

Suggestion for the race name: Creations.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Yeah, I came to terms with the fact that the gameplay is ruining my concepts and ideas and that this campaign is crap as it is. I think I'm gonna just pull it off the server and redo this (as I have already done several times. But hey, it's just computer gibberish, how hard can it be?) This will just be gameplay and possibly dialogue that will change, I've already done too much with the unit sprites and stuff to turn back.

As a side note: My current avatar is a holiday twist on my prototype for the new Insane Hermit sprite. I think he looks cooler already.

EDIT: Creations sounds too general, but my current race name doesn't work and doesn't fit well in dialogue. But suggestions help spark ideas. Thanks for fueling my fire of creativity.

SECOND EDIT: Campaign removed from 1.6 server. Don't expect it to reappear before 1.8.

Third EDIT: Here's the Holiday Hermit for history (or at least the server) to remember.
insanehermitavatar.png
insanehermitavatar.png (5.78 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
em3

Post by em3 »

EvilEarl wrote:EDIT: Creations sounds too general, but my current race name doesn't work and doesn't fit well in dialogue. But suggestions help spark ideas. Thanks for fueling my fire of creativity.
How 'bout "Minions"? :hmm:
ride on shooting star
ender_wiggin13

Post by ender_wiggin13 »

I found scenario 6 far too easy, though i liked the new element types. I basically built a huge defense at the bridges, and they ignored the forest til about turn 16, and then they only attacked the very narrow chokepoint. By turn 20 i was so bored at barely moving that I sent a dozen arcane titans and some nature warriors to wipe out their leaders by slipping them down the left side of the map, by this time they were only recruiting 3 guys a turn because of all the upkeep and i massacred them all, getting annoyed when i killed the last one to have to reload... i left one alive then and easily won after slaughtering every unit. it might be better if you reduced the initial number of titans you get, i mostly used them to form a fallback position that wasn't ever necessary, and even if i hadn't killed their leaders, the 7 layers of men i had would have made it impossible to get through in time to reach the symbol. I used maybe half of the titans given to me for defending, the rest just stood around until i formed them into a hit squad, if you get rid of some of them it might be harder to kill all the leaders, which kinda takes away from it.