Brent (0.1.7) – for 1.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

melinath

Re: Brent (0.1.7) – for 1.7.10+

Post by melinath »

Hey, there. I've been on an intentional hiatus. Lots going on. Learning and such. I intend to be around a bit more, but I am not actually less busy than I was, so... we'll see.
melinath

Re: Brent (0.1.7) – for 1.7.10+

Post by melinath »

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in contributing to Brent, the source is now up on github: https://github.com/melinath/brent
Feel free to branch and experiment!

Also, if you already have an account on github or don't mind creating one, it would be great if you could put any bug reports in their tracker. Thanks!
melinath

Re: Brent (0.1.7) – for 1.9

Post by melinath »

Quick status update: I've been doing some backend work, replacing macros and concepts from the previous versions of Brent with implementations in Lua. In particular, I've revamped the quest system and have it more or less working as I want it to. One of my main concerns was avoiding save file bloat.

The observer will note that Brent has not actually been published to the add-on server. That's because in its current state it isn't really working. :whistle: But I'm confident that it will.
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

I -was- wondering, since the first post says:
"It's on the add on server!"

So I went and started up BfW just to check it out. It wasn't there, so I came back, lo and behold... :D
sneef

Post by sneef »

Just downloaded it but getting a length error on load, see attached (version is 1.95):
Attachments
error.JPG
Rowanthepreacher

Ah, that's a known error.

Re-title the folder "melinath-brent-d113991 to simply "Brent".

If you look at the message, it's looking for the units in "Brent", but of course, "Brent" doesn't exist.

Also, don't use Brynne, she's currently broken.
sneef

Post by sneef »

Thanks. Renamed it but same error, except for path change.

If this would be solved by uploading to the server then my $0.02 vote would be for that. At version 0.1.x I am just curious...
Attachments
error.JPG
Last edited by sneef on April 1st, 2011, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowanthepreacher

Uhhh... you've got me there. sure everything is where it's supposed to be? Downloaded the latest version from github? got 1.9.x (Just in case)?
sneef

Post by sneef »

Yes to both.
Rowanthepreacher

Think I've found it. Brent appears to be in a file called "campaigns" put it straight into "add-ons" and it should work.
sneef

Post by sneef »

Thanks - that did it. Seems it is in the right place. Generated some errors on launch (1.9.5) though
Attachments
brent.error.JPG
Rowanthepreacher

Hey, that's my first Wesnoth error fix! Join my in the dance of Rowan-y awesomehood. You'll need the stamina of a bull to complete it, but if you have even 1/10th of my superior endurance, that should be no issue.

Ahem, the errors you're receiving don't matter. There's a lot of code that should exist, but doesn't. It's not game breaking. Also, if you want to survive the forest even once, go into the units files and change the damage of rabbits, white rabbits, tusklets and tuskers down by 2. It makes the game possible without vast amounts of savescumming. They're still a decent challenge, but it's no longer like fighting Klendathu bugs with a pointy stick.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Aw, cmon... is it that bad...? I guess I haven't actually tried playing it for a while.

It would be easier for people to download Brent if it were on the add-on server, but the add-on server is supposed to be reserved for things that actually work... which Brent doesn't quite atm. It should work well enough to try it out though.

Well done on the bugfix, RTP!
Maxime

Post by Maxime »

Hi all !

First, i am French so sorry for my poor English skills. If you don't understand what i wanna say please don't hesitate to ask me to repeat.
I've just tested this Brent mod and it's really a pleasure for me ! It's a very good alternative to the original game and it refresh it very well ! Congratulations to the developer.
Maybe some players knew the game called "Arcanum", it's really the same way to play that brent mod : you do what you want !

But i've got a little problem, and i'm sorry because i have to spoil to explain the "bug" so please don't read if you are a new player :

So, I start in forest, go the the river, then kill fire elems on the dryad battle (very challenging, you're always focused by the ennemies) and return to the forest for the dwarves quest.
In the northern caverns where you have to kill undeads, i noted a little bug : You have to recruit 4 dwarves but one of them is blocked because he pops all around caverns walls so he can't move ! Anyway, I success this part with the only 3 others dwarves and when i returned to the king, he says "please come back in day 87"
And at this point i got a problem : when i return, nothing happens ! I tested day 87, 88 and 89 i just can't talk with the king !! The only thing notable is that I lvl up 1 and become a thief, but i don't think that's why he don't talk to me.

So i have nothing to do, the west city is closed, the dryad in the forest ask me when the dwarves comes, and i'm just blocked. Please answer me if you know a solution or if this bug can be resolved !

Many thanks and I hope that you can understand what I say ;)

Max
melinath

Post by melinath »

Hi, Maxime,
Your english is actually quite good! I'm glad that you enjoy Brent; I'd like to congratulate you on completing all the quests that exist at the moment! If you'd like to do anything more, you're welcome to help develop some new quests; otherwise, I hope you'll keep your eyes out for new versions.