Campaign: The Knights of the Silver Spire

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aghanim

Re: Campaign: The Knights of the Silver Spire

Post by Aghanim »

Hi, I read the entire thread and was impatient to try this awesome-looking campaign, but it isn't available on the update server !
Assuming you are still playing BfW and reading this board, could you please re-upload it ? There are so few good downloadable campaigns...
Thanks a bunch in advance !
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

It is still accessible through the web interface (http://addons.wesnoth.org/) from the 1.5 add-on server: http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.5/The ... re.tar.bz2
However, be aware that this version most likely won't work on 1.10/1.11 without a lot of converting work. Read about "wmllint" for a helping tool in case you want to do it yourself, which is what I get from your post in the "Abandoned Campaigns" thread.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

Crendgrim is almost cetainly right: there's going to be an awful lot of work to do to get this campaign running on a recent build. As you can tell, it basically died an untimely death due to my enterting graduate school, and I've no current plans to revive it any time soon. If you'd like me to send you source code I can arrange that and you're welcome to work on it further, but it's only maybe 10 or 20% complete as-is... PM me if you want me to send you the files that I have.
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

solsword wrote:Crendgrim is almost cetainly right: there's going to be an awful lot of work to do to get this campaign running on a recent build. As you can tell, it basically died an untimely death due to my enterting graduate school, and I've no current plans to revive it any time soon. If you'd like me to send you source code I can arrange that and you're welcome to work on it further, but it's only maybe 10 or 20% complete as-is... PM me if you want me to send you the files that I have.
Are there a lot of changes in WML code syntax?
Would it be more than a week of (dedicated) work?

I would be interested in helping out.....
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

I haven't kept up with the codebase unfortunately, so I can't say whether the porting process would take a long time, but I suspect that a week of dedicated work should be plenty... On the other hand, that would just bring the three or so existing missions up-to-date. To actually finish the campaign would require quite a bit more effort than that.
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

solsword wrote:I haven't kept up with the codebase unfortunately, so I can't say whether the porting process would take a long time, but I suspect that a week of dedicated work should be plenty... On the other hand, that would just bring the three or so existing missions up-to-date. To actually finish the campaign would require quite a bit more effort than that.
Thanks for the update.

I have started with the porting process.

As you said, porting will be less effort than *completing* the campaign. Anything that you have in terms of story arc, outlines, etc will be appreciated.

It will also help keep the campaign true to your intentions.
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Starlight wrote:
solsword wrote:I haven't kept up with the codebase unfortunately, so I can't say whether the porting process would take a long time, but I suspect that a week of dedicated work should be plenty... On the other hand, that would just bring the three or so existing missions up-to-date. To actually finish the campaign would require quite a bit more effort than that.
Thanks for the update.

I have started with the porting process.

As you said, porting will be less effort than *completing* the campaign. Anything that you have in terms of story arc, outlines, etc will be appreciated.

It will also help keep the campaign true to your intentions.
I have managed a basic port that lets the campaign be loaded under 1.10 without crashing.
Currently Scenario 1 should work.

Scenario 2 requires further work - and Scenario 3 crashses.

Bugs, error reports and feedback welcome.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Starlight wrote:I have managed a basic port that lets the campaign be loaded under 1.10 without crashing.

As you see from earlier in this thread, solsword uploaded a version for 1.7 to the server, but pulled it before 1.8. Did he give you those files? His posts indicate that the main changes were in scenarios 3 and 4.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

I got the files from the 1.5 server.

I don't know the link to 1.7 server.

In any case, I have a set of files that Solsword sent to Aghanim. Will open those and have a look.

(Note that Scenario 3 is story-only, and Scenario 4 works. I plan to upload a version later this week that should have four working scenarios).

Thanks for the interest.
Groggy_Dice wrote:
Starlight wrote:I have managed a basic port that lets the campaign be loaded under 1.10 without crashing.

As you see from earlier in this thread, solsword uploaded a version for 1.7 to the server, but pulled it before 1.8. Did he give you those files? His posts indicate that the main changes were in scenarios 3 and 4.
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Hi,

I have made available Version 0.2.3a of this beautiful campaign. Please check out all the details in this new thread.