Necromancer (14 scenarios, all complete and playable)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jani

Re: Subversive newb campaign: Necromancer (2 scenarios done)

Post by jani »

played both scenarios and looking good so far.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

0.3.1 is out! The campaign's now fully half again as long as before!... AKA the next scenario's done.

No changes whined about for the first 2 scenarios, so none have been performed.

Also: I fixed the animations for the kid unit. Released 0.2.1 to mark that bug fix.

I guess my main problem is that my usual method of proof-reading code is to run Wesnoth, wait until the campaign fails to load, and then look at the offending code mentioned in the error message.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Playtesting the campaign. (0.3.1)
Found bugs so far:

Scenario 1:
- In the story screen it says "another type of orc", but the first unit you see in the scenario is an elf.
- Leanna's first message reads: "It's one of their holy days. They have _me_. State your inte-" and breaks there. I guess you should use other types of string formatting than this kind of underlining. Also, where is the rest of the message?

More to come...
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Thanatos wrote:- In the story screen it says "another type of orc", but the first unit you see in the scenario is an elf.
It doesn't, it says "raiders of another kind". Read carefully before making me waste my time looking for faulty storyline writing.

Thanatos wrote:- Leanna's first message reads: "It's one of their holy days. They have _me_. State your inte-" and breaks there. I guess you should use other types of string formatting than this kind of underlining. Also, where is the rest of the message?
The rest of the message isn't there because she gets interrupted mid-sentence. Clearly this wasn't enough to convey that fact to you; therefore I'm open to suggestions as to how to make it clearer.
As for the underlining thing... I don't know any way to make just one word underlined properly in Wesnoth. :oops:
Necromancer (campaign)

jani

Re: Subversive newb campaign: Necromancer (3 scenarios done)

Post by jani »

yeap really nice keep on working im waiting 4th scenario very much.
PS. didnt notice any bugs.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Orcish Shyde wrote:It doesn't, it says "raiders of another kind". Read carefully before making me waste my time looking for faulty storyline writing.
Shame upon me. :oops:

Orcish Shyde wrote: The rest of the message isn't there because she gets interrupted mid-sentence. Clearly this wasn't enough to convey that fact to you; therefore I'm open to suggestions as to how to make it clearer.
As for the underlining thing... I don't know any way to make just one word underlined properly in Wesnoth. :oops:
I think writing it... "bla bla. State your..." and then switching to the other unit starting "Be quiet!" or something like that, would make it clearer.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

DL'd and played it yesterday and I gotta say - very nice work!
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Next version is out... and I forgot to change the version number. Go figure.

Changes:
- Added 4th scenario "Heretic".
- Changed the story of scenario 1 slightly to place this in the timeline
- Tweaked dialogue of scenario 1 to make interruption clearer
- Scenario 3 is a tad harder, although it probably still needs more tweaking
Necromancer (campaign)

Orcish Shyde

Re: Subversive newb campaign: Necromancer (4 scenarios done)

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Just to keep my conspicuous absence of fans posted, 0.5.2 is out! (Note that it'll only hit 1.0.0 when the campaign is complete, and I've got about 12 scenarios in mind, so don't be surprised at seeing 0.11.3 some time later)

Changes:
- Leanna's TC is overridden in scenario 1 to give her distinctive black gear, because it looks cooler
- Scenario 5 "Fort Tahn" is complete
- Added units "Troll Shaman" (ripped straight from Jequ's "Trolls" campaign) and "Inquisitor". Both seem to work.
Necromancer (campaign)

gitanomad

Post by gitanomad »

I just wanted you to know that you do indeed have fans. I'm waiting with bated breath for the next scenarios... Thank you for your hard work.
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

I agree with him, I love this campaign and have been waiting for it for ages now.

(I also love shameless crossover excuse, but I gotta say I have to wait to regain the will to live for fighting off Konrad and Ko.)

Great work :D
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Published 0.6.2 just now. It may be a while showing up, as I copied kamikaze.py from "Descent into Darkness" and it apparently needs to be approved separately.

Changes:
- New hero unit line "Witch Child -> Reaver -> Spirit Mage" to represent Middry (kind of a Thief/DA cross levelling to gain Ghost traits as well, shouldn't need TOO much balancing as is a hero unit)
- Scenario 6 "Prisoners Freed and Trolls Bothered" has been released
- Edited damage stats of "Black Sun" as it was stronger than an Ancient Lich, which wasn't my intention at all

TODO:
- Really, I want to make a whole new set of flying sprites for the Spirit Mage rather than reuse the ones for the rest of the line. But that'll take ages and is pretty low priority.
- Work out a way to make the ulfserker wave in scenario 6 less of a tomato surprise - they arrive not long after the cage guard is killed.

EDIT: Spoiler hidden too well; made its presence more visible (if not its nature)

EDIT2: Although normally I'd not be double posting, 0.7.2 is out, adding a dialogue scenario and a new gameplay one "Jailbreak". Why that name? Spoilers x3

EDIT3:0.8.3 is out!
- Weakened the Black Sun a tiny bit further out of paranoia
- Fixed the "darkens" ability - it was turning day into night not just dusk. It still superpowers chaotic units underground but there's no "minimum bonus" tag for me.
- Added 8th combat scenario "Can't Outrun Wolves"... totally unplaytested, no dialogue, but I got impatient with the release and will probably fix it soon. Shouldn't cause any bigger problems than "it's unbalanced".

EDIT4: Released 0.8.4, which finishes "Can't Outrun Wolves". Some actual critique would be nice; are you all waiting for me to finish or something?

EDIT5: 0.9.5 is out!
Changelog:
- Isorfil now has to the order of 350 gold in scenario 1; I think 400 was too much even given you're using undead.
- Added 9th combat scenario "The Rearguard"
- Fixed recall list bug stemming from scenario 6; as it is, you can't saveload in "The Rearguard" if you use a save from after scenario 6. What are you doing saveloading anyway?
- Spirit Mage now counts as flying for graphics purposes
- Fixed non-working code in scenario 7 meant to give you a footpad advisor if you have no units of that line

EDIT6: Thought this thread had been deleted for a moment, and that a new release was sufficient reason for a double... triple... quintuple post. Apologies to the Forum Sith for making more work for them.
Necromancer (campaign)

Orcish Shyde

Re: Subversive newb campaign: Necromancer (Complete)

Post by Orcish Shyde »

YES, I know, I shouldn't be double posting yet again. That being said, version 1.0.0 has been released, with the final combat scenario and the epilogue being released to the add-on server in the last hour. This marks a completed campaign; you may now start complaining about how unbalanced (or not) it is. :lol2:
Necromancer (campaign)

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Subversive newb campaign: Necromancer (Complete)

Post by Turuk »

Orcish Shyde wrote:Thought this thread had been deleted for a moment, and that a new release was sufficient reason for a double... triple... quintuple post. Apologies to the Forum Sith for making more work for them.
Apology accepted. ;) Normally yes, there is some leeway in making a double post for new versions, but you had 6 in a row so I did a bit of trimming for you.

That being said, I will leave your big 1.0 post, congratulations on finally completing your campaign. :)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
rogo

Re: Necromancer (14 scenarios, all complete and playable)

Post by rogo »

Hello there,

thanks for this campaign. I enjoyed it very much.

I think there's a typo in story.cfg line 1206. It says "[..] you're bringing elves and dwarves into the presence of a dwarf! [..]" I think it should say "[..] elves and trolls [..]" right?

rogo