1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.6 (1.6 ONLY - NOT 1.8)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.6 (1.6 ONLY - NOT 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

EDIT: 0.8.6 is the final release for 1.6.x because I must focus on the 1.7/1.8 version. But I can still answer questions, or fix flaws & bugs that might get carried over into more recent version.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Campaign Summary:

Set in the frozen north, roughly around the same time as SotBE, maybe a little later.
For most of the campaign, player controls a human faction called "Ukians."

Loyalist bumbling wakes up ancient and forgotten beings. These powerful beings make war on the humans and orcs (it's in the north, so that's who is there). It is up to the humans and orcs to stop the ancient forces, though they are a little slow in figuring out what is going on. Only at the very end do the humans realize the ancient beings have a reason for behaving as they do, aside from general bad-guy-ness.

(I will write a better summary at some point...)

Feedback Forum
You might have noticed there is a new feedback forum. The feedback thread for this campaign is here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24288
Any reviews appreciated, even negative ones (so long as they are honest). They'll help make the campaign better, and are probably the only way it will ever get balanced.

BfW 1.4 version (BMR 0.4.7.x) is gone
The old version of this campaign is no longer maintained. (It has been removed from the server.) There were too many changes since moving this campaign to 1.5/1.6 for me to maintain both of them.
You should upgrade to BfW 1.6.
It really is better than 1.4

------------------------------------original post------------------------------------------------------
0.5.0 (the first version of Bad Moon Rising for BfW 1.5) just went to the server. Parts I and II appear to work, though I'll admit I didn't get very far in testing Part II. Part III does not yet work past the first scenario. This topic is only for the 1.5/1.6 version, please put all comments and complaints concerning the 1.4 version in the old topic.

The biggest change, aside from working on a newer Wesnoth version, is the 'world map'. At this point the changes might not be so noticeable to the player, but the underlying WML is now easier to modify, so more visible improvements should be on the way. Right now, the goal is to have it work at least as well as it did in the 1.4 version.
Last edited by doofus-01 on December 23rd, 2009, 2:09 pm, edited 31 times in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.5/1.6 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.5.0

Post by doofus-01 »

0.5.1 just went to the server. There were some bug-fixes for Part II, as well as plot fixes involving a new scenario and a new character. The new character may throw off the balance of scenario "Rumble", and the new scenario is nowhere near balanced, but I still think it's an improvement.
aZu

Re: 1.5/1.6 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.5.1

Post by aZu »

Hi all,

First I should say that I really like this campaign's storyline and units. However, I got stuck at an annoying point in the scenario Downed by the Water in Part 3. I managed to kill all the saurians and nagas and have "rescued" all the ukians, but Carghana's icon still stays on the island with all the saurians. when I move Belleros to the exit, a dialogue pops up "Let's not leave people behind." I have tried this scenario multiple times and I always get the same problem. Can someone pls tell me what I should do in this scenario.

Thanks,

aZu
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Not to clutter up either thread, but I saw that you posted the above twice, and you should just post your issue in the thread that is about the game version you are playing the campaign in.

The 1.4 version of the game and the 1.5 version will not always share the same problems.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
aZu

Post by aZu »

Turuk wrote:Not to clutter up either thread, but I saw that you posted the above twice, and you should just post your issue in the thread that is about the game version you are playing the campaign in.

The 1.4 version of the game and the 1.5 version will not always share the same problems.
Oh ok. I am new to posting and didn't know where to put my question, so I posted on both. I am using the 1.4 version so I should focus on the other forum. But meanwhile, can you help me? You can post on the other forum if you like. Thanks!

aZu
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Right, the 1.4 and 1.5 versions won't share the same problems. I'm not adding anything new to 1.4, just patching bugs. 1.5 gets all the new stuff, including new bugs.

I'm using my signature to try to clear this up.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
pihlstrom

Post by pihlstrom »

I have finished B.M.R last year.Actually I play on Wesnoth 1.5.6 and I have a big problem with "Royal Rumble".I start with 622 gold and very few graduates soldiers(2 level3 and 3 level 2).I tried many times ,diffrent tactics ad it is impossible(I play on medium)
Do you think it is possible to beat the scenario with such a money?
PIRUET
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

doofus-01 wrote:1.5 gets all the new stuff, including new bugs.
Niiice. I've been really searching for a large enough add-on to go on a bug-hunting and nitpicking session. :D
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hello pihlstrom,

I'm actually stuck at the exact same place and in a very similar situation. In previous revisions, it was possible if you were not aggressive at first, and let Vazzan do as much damage as we will before he runs away. And you will need healers.

I tried to make it a little more challenging, maybe went too far. Is the ghost causing problems?

Shadow Master,

The WML is laid out horribly, but I'm trying to make it more readable. Still, I'd be interested to hear anything you had to say. The skirmish & "world map" stuff is very much unfinished, but it seems to work well enough to include it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I just started playing Episode II, but I found some issues with the last scenario of Episode I; namely, if I check the recall list (you should put [scenario]disallow_recall=yes on them, by the way), I see Scarrion's original unit, along with the original units for his companions who were later turned into ghosts by the necromancer, triplicated in the recall list.

I also would have preferred a more explicit hint that you could close the side tunnels at the start; I didn't understand well what Scarrion said in that regard, and tried moving units over the big-rock tiles to no avail. Later I realized by accident that I was supposed to move them to a certain adjacent hex in order to close the tunnels.

That's all about gameplay for now; I liked Episode I's storytelling - it's been long since I played any UMC, but I think this is the first time I see a polished set of this kind of scenarios.

It'll take me some time to get through it anyway; I have a ridiculously large ToDo list in my mind which I have to attend quickly.

And another thing: at a point, King Huric says in the first scenario of Episode II, "Lieutents, be on your way!". I am no native speaker, but as far as I know, you misspelled "lieutenants" in there.

In WML... besides indentation? :P There is always wmlindent, and I think you can run it in Windows with some efforts once you have a Python interpreter installed; otherwise, running it on a Unix like operating system is trivial provided you have the interpreter as well.

I know I shouldn't be reading them, but this called upon my attention in scenarios/2_06_Teora.cfg:

Code: Select all

[part]
	story= _ "Meanwhile, I will not tell you the story because I am not supposed to spoil it. Go play instead."
	background="misc/BMRtundra.png"
# is there any way to do this?
#	[music]
#	name="traveling_minstrels.ogg"
#	immediate=yes
#	[/music]
	[/part]
In story WML, the effects that sequence would have in events WML is the only one available, actually:

Code: Select all

[part]
	story= _ "Meanwhile, I will not tell you the story because I am not supposed to spoil it. Go play instead."
	background="misc/BMRtundra.png"
	music=traveling_minstrels.ogg
[/part]
Oh, and you have a stray file in the 1.5.x distribution: "info.cfg". This was used by bookkeeping until I renamed that file to _info.cfg as far as the engine is concerned, so you may remove it.

If you don't have it, it may be a bug in the Web Interface from which I downloaded the file...

edit: on a second thought, seeing #textdomain wesnoth-Bad_Moon_Rising suggests you really have that file. As I said, you may remove it; no, better, remove it. Yet better, nuke it.
Last edited by Iris on January 9th, 2009, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stuff
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, Shadow Master.

I thought info.cfg had something to do with a command line add-on downloader, but if it's not used anymore, I'll get rid of it.

Part I is kind of a mess, not as far along as Part II. Thanks for catching those issues.
...it's been long since I played any UMC...
I hear you. Authoring a campaign takes a lot of time, especially a big one like IftU. It's been a while since I've played other campaigns as well. And you've got core development activities.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

doofus-01 wrote:I thought info.cfg had something to do with a command line add-on downloader, but if it's not used anymore, I'll get rid of it.
Effectively, but when I refactored the add-ons management code around 1.5.4, I renamed that to _info.cfg at both sides. Nonetheless, you don't need to have those files in your own directory; you are publishing an add-on, not downloading it. :P
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Oh, I really wasn't aware of all that.
I've never used 1.5.4, but I've been dragging the info.cfg along since 1.3, so the players could use the python script to detect anything that had been updated. (I never used the thing myself, but I was informed of it here.)
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 30th, 2009, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShikadiQueen

Post by ShikadiQueen »

It was a bad idea. The file was simply overwritten on each download. Providing it makes no difference.

Except that if you put something for other purposes in there, Bad Things Will Happen(tm) since its contents are erased...

Also, there's a new feature in 1.5.x that allows user to check for updates from the game's own add-on downloads interface.
I got better!
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Can somebnody tell me how you can meet raenna and finish the pit?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.