1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.6 (1.6 ONLY - NOT 1.8)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wesfreak

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~30 scenarios) 0.8.4

Post by wesfreak »

would it be possible to merge the three parts into one? for invasion of the unknown, the player had a choice to play part 2 seperately or to continue on. you could still erase the recall list if necessary. i ask this because i managed to turn raenna into a killing machine doing 13-4 damage with a bow, but now she is nerfed down to 5-4 again.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

wesfreak wrote:would it be possible to merge the three parts into one?
I'm going to rearrange things for the 1.7 version, "Parts I-IV" is silly and a bit misleading. I'm not really sure how to quantify what's an acceptable amount of data to load, but it already takes almost as much time to load BMR as it does to load Wesnoth itself, so I don't think I want to merge the parts.

I see what you mean about Raenna getting nerfed, I'll keep that in mind.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

if you don't merge the parts so we cant keep our recruits, then at least tone down the queen astreya scenerios. i had to fight a small army of ghosts, and i only had 4 recalls. and my recalls were alot worse then part 2 ( i only had 1 anti-ghost unit and he was lvl 2)

also, for the entrance to the mine scenerio, the orc leader on my team died. ( it would have been a miracle if he didnt: he was outmatched and i was very far away) but the scenerio didn't end. and i missed his half of the conversation at the end.
koveras

Post by koveras »

If you cannot recreate the error, then I'll just let it go. I would much rather it be something only im experiencing. If you really want me to send you the save game i would be more than happy to.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The error is straight forward in hindsight, and I would have been able to reproduce it if I were better organized. I was inconsistent in some unit id's, so more people will be having this bug if they aren't already. This will be fixed in the next release, but for now you can fix it with this:

Open the file <campaigns_folder>/Bad_Moon_Rising/units/khthon/Khthon-Fighter.cfg and add this to the very bottom of the file, outside of any other tags.

Code: Select all

[unit_type]
        id=Khthon Fighter
        [base_unit]
        id=Khthon-fighter
        [/base_unit]
        hide_help=yes
[/unit_type]
Do a similar change for Khthon-archer/Khthon Archer. (I don't think it is necessary to change the Khthon-healer/Khthon Mage, but maybe.)

You may need to delete your cache, but savegames should work after that. You shouldn't need to start over.

----------------------------------------------------------------original post-----------------------------------------------------------
If you would send me the file, that would be great. Odds are you are not the only one experiencing the problem, you're just the only one to bother with reporting it.
jsacton

Post by jsacton »

Hey I am on the scenario "Camp". As near as I can tell, it is impossible. Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: It's in part 2 on version 1.6.4
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

jsacton wrote:Hey I am on the scenario "Camp". As near as I can tell, it is impossible. Is there something I'm missing?
Last I checked (which I'll admit was not 1.6.4), it was possible. Don't let the enemy cross the river, kill the General. I can't really help unless you are more specific.

------------------------

0.8.5 is now on the server. Most of the bugs mentioned here recently were fixed. The issue with Scarrion not always showing up in Part 2's "The Pit" is not fixed, because I don't understand what happened after all. I will just have to re-write that section.

Part 4 is still not complete, but it is getting closer. I didn't get a chance to really test the later scenarios, aside from making sure they don't completely break the campaign, so there are probably some issues there. It looks like there will need to be another 1.6 release, but then I will begin moving this to BfW 1.7
lostnumber

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~30 scenarios) 0.8.5

Post by lostnumber »

The first scenario in part III doesnt make it clear that all of your guys have to be in the top RIGHT corner, it just says northern edge. Since two of your heros spawn on the left side this can be very misleading

Also I can understand not getting a recall list back, but it seems a bit silly that your hero archer gets nerfed after upgrading her so heavily in the previous chapter.

ALso I had a bit of trouble getting the end to properly trigger even when I had all four heros in the right place. I had to run the main character up and down a few times before it worked properly.

Sounds like part 4 is a work in progress?

THe Kthon part is broken after the scenario where you ascend to the higher form

Also there are numerous bugs with regard to scenarios advancing properly and with possessing mages
koveras

Post by koveras »

How did you do the scenarios in BMR4? I dont see them under the scenarios folder...
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lostnumber wrote:The first scenario in part III doesnt make it clear that all of your guys have to be in the top RIGHT corner, it just says northern edge. Since two of your heros spawn on the left side this can be very misleading
There is no left-right requirement for that to trigger, so anywhere at the north edge of the map should work. Maybe the fact that everyone needs to be up there gets confusing, I could try taking the heroes off the map when they reach the edge.
lostnumber wrote:Sounds like part 4 is a work in progress?
Yes, it's nowhere near as complete as the others. I'm thinking of splitting it off into a separate add-on.
lostnumber wrote:THe Kthon part is broken after the scenario where you ascend to the higher form
Hopefully you mean the mages scenario, not the elf scenario.
lostnumber wrote:Also there are numerous bugs with regard to scenarios advancing properly...
Such as? I had thought it was working, at least for the first several scenarios.
koveras wrote:How did you do the scenarios in BMR4? I dont see them under the scenarios folder...
They are in a folder called "scenarios4". Or if you mean the campaign selection menu, it should be below Part III, with a box for an icon.
koveras

Post by koveras »

koveras wrote:They are in a folder called "scenarios4". Or if you mean the campaign selection menu, it should be below Part III, with a box for an icon.
Turns out I was looking in the wrong folder, hehe. Thanks!
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

doofus-01 wrote:
lostnumber wrote:The first scenario in part III doesnt make it clear that all of your guys have to be in the top RIGHT corner, it just says northern edge. Since two of your heros spawn on the left side this can be very misleading
There is no left-right requirement for that to trigger, so anywhere at the north edge of the map should work. Maybe the fact that everyone needs to be up there gets confusing, I could try taking the heroes off the map when they reach the edge.
lostnumber wrote:Sounds like part 4 is a work in progress?
Yes, it's nowhere near as complete as the others. I'm thinking of splitting it off into a separate add-on.
lostnumber wrote:THe Kthon part is broken after the scenario where you ascend to the higher form
Hopefully you mean the mages scenario, not the elf scenario.
lostnumber wrote:Also there are numerous bugs with regard to scenarios advancing properly...
Such as? I had thought it was working, at least for the first several scenarios.
koveras wrote:How did you do the scenarios in BMR4? I dont see them under the scenarios folder...
They are in a folder called "scenarios4". Or if you mean the campaign selection menu, it should be below Part III, with a box for an icon.
Yes after you possess the great mage the next scenario fails to load and boots you back to the menu.

I think the advancement problem might be because you require all units to be killed in order for the scenario to advance, but dont always specifiy this. In the scenario where you possess the high marshall (2nd?), even after I possessed him and killed everything visible on the map. (I apologize for not remembering the names or numbers hopefully you know what I'm talking about) nothing happened, and I ended up having to debug to the next scenario.

The same thing happened in the scenario with the high elf lord, however in that instance I found out there was an evlish stalker invisible and hiding in the trees. After I killed him it advanced properly.

So my hypothesis is that in the 2nd level there was an invisble elf somewhere random in the forest. This is kind of annoying though since searching through an entire map of forest to find one elf and kill it is rather tedious and seems uncessessary.

Another thing I noticed was that there are no turn limits in part four for the kthon. This isnt necessarily a problem in and of itself, but it means that you can farm obscene amounts of gold by simply waiting to end the scenario. So this will probably present a significant problem when it comes to difficulty balancing of the maps

Obviously the Nemesis campaign isnt close to done but as far as I can tell the dwarf level is impossible to beat in the turns alotted.

The dragon level is also a little silly since staying to fight the drakes is futile, and there is no reason to summon anything beyond 4 ruffians on the first turn to serve as distractions. Maybe that was your intent, but as things stand the only viable win is to chase after the dragon with nemesis and hide the bandit in the corner.

Also nemesis starts each level with her movement depleted and her health not healed to full. I'm not sure if this was intentional?

In part 4
It also gives me an error message about invalid names or something when I try to load Kthon saves (but loads properly anyway as far as I can tell), I dont know if this is a known issue or not I can give you the text it gives me if necessary.

My Kthon mages and warriors also do not start with their health replentished when I recall them, not sure if that is intentional.

As far as converting enemy mages there are some problems:
First it converts them after the first hit, but the 2nd and 3rd hits will still attack anyway even after conversion.

More importantly, after the 2nd level my converted mages no loneger healed to full health when converted but rather remained at the hitpoints the mage had. So when combined with the main characters attacks and the low hp of mages this means that frequently either a) I will kill my own mages after they convert
or B) they will be left at like 8 health and die on the next turn from the enemy.

Also, in terms of unit balance. The Yak seems SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful and useful then either of his kthon animal brothers. He has the best movement over non-flat terrain (which much of the game is fought on) he has the highest hp by far, he does the most damage, he has the best terrain defense, AND he gets first strike.

The Ram has charge which is nice, and poison breath which makes it useful for having a ranged attack. But frankly its extremely slow and has such low hitpoints by comparision that the yak is almost always better (plus charging elves in trees is typically a bad idea).

The horse is practically useless by comparision since it barely does more damage then a level 1 yak, has less hitpoints, and doesnt move significantly faster.

Some suggestions I would have would be to possibly make the horse even faster (like 10 instead of 8, making it a true scout), upgrade the damage on the rams ranged attack, upgrade the rams armor (so less hp but it takes less damage) or at least make its movement compareable to the yaks.

Another idea would be to increase the rams movement and leave everything else as it is. Because if it was able to move more freely then charge could make it useful for targeting ranged units that were in weaker terrain, for example elvish archers that strayed onto grass. But because it moves so slow its difficult to get it into position for attacks like these in levels that are so forest and swamp dominated.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lostnumber wrote:Yes after you possess the great mage the next scenario fails to load and boots you back to the menu.
There is no more written after that, I meant to put a dummy scenario there though. Next time (if the real thing isn't written).
lostnumber wrote:So my hypothesis is that in the 2nd level there was an invisble elf somewhere random in the forest. This is kind of annoying though since searching through an entire map of forest to find one elf and kill it is rather tedious and seems uncessessary.
I'm not sure what to do about the hiding elf rangers, but I see your point.

The units & leaders not starting with their full health is an oversight, that'll be fixed next time.

Thanks for the thoughts on the khthon unit balance, I'll adjust them for next time.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

No problem, I hope you keep working on this its nice to see new races and units in a campaign.

Its not just the level two units that are unbalanced either.

At level 1 all of the animals do comparable damage, but the yak has significantly more hp. This makes him easier to level up in the first place. I recruited roughly equal amounts of all 3 and ended up with 1 horse, 1 ram, and 6 yaks at level 2 by the final level.

I would try to distinctify the role of each units more clearly.

Yaks=tanks
Rams=ranged damage/charge damage
Horses=scouts/fast units

As it is right now, the yak is the best tank, dps, and the fastest moving, when those should likely be 3 seperate roles.
dustman

Post by dustman »

Hej,

I'm stuck in the Copper Mines trying to find the impostor. Looks like the way is blocked and I can't figure out how to get to the last NW part of the map.

Hint would be appreciated :)