1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.6 (1.6 ONLY - NOT 1.8)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.6.5

Post by doofus-01 »

That coordinate is kind of arbitrary, but then it is too easy if I move it up higher.

In retrospect, the end doesn't makes sense anyway. Raenna can throw fire, why does she need the lava? I'm going to scrap that "move to the lava" thing and replace it with a right-click initiated countdown. With a good dialogue, I think it could be more clear to the player.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.6.5

Post by doofus-01 »

0.7.0 just went to the server. I wasn't able to fix everything, but it's still better than it was. The changes are mostly in the last several scenarios of Part III, starting with "Mount Tien". The last scenario should not be quite as slow at the end, and I changed the victory condition a bit.
jdp

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.7.0

Post by jdp »

I can't find a way to end the 'Escape the Legion' scenario. One time I managed to defeat Astreya and get Belleros onto her keep, but the game didn't end. Another way I tried was to get Belleros to the exit in the East after staying in the western tunnel for some time. I could eventually get him there, but the game didn't end.

I saw from earlier messages in this thread that some others have encountered the same problem. The scenario objective says 'Move to the western tunnel'. This is easy to do, but I can't see what to do next.

I know I may be missing something very obvious. I remember managing to finish this scenario in a much earlier version, but can't remember how it was possible.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

jdp,

That scenario does seem to cause some confusion, an earlier post in this thread (page 5, April 23rd - I don't know how to link a specific post) should explain it. I'm giving the enemy faction an overhaul, then that scenario and a couple of others later on will be revised.

EDIT: This is the link. Thanks, Turuk.
Last edited by doofus-01 on May 23rd, 2009, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

doofus-01 wrote:(page 5, April 23rd - I don't know how to link a specific post)
Sidebar: Click the little page symbol next to the date, and it will change the url in the address bar to what you would need to link directly to that post.
Attachments
Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png (6.76 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jeebus

Post by Jeebus »

Omnibus typo/grammar Nazi time! I just finished the campaign. I like it a lot, although for me at least there were about 20-30 turns of doing almost nothing at the end of the last scenario, which took forever given the slowness of the AI on large maps/with many units.

Now, some text corrections:

Part 1, "Abandoned":
Line 393, "Somethin" should be "Something," unless he's trying to be especially informal (but his other speech isn't).

Part 1, "Payback":
Line 314, "weasle" should be "weasel."
Line 499, Bersohn is referred to as a General. In earlier scenarios he was referred to as a Lieutenant. Is that an oversight, or did he get promoted really quickly?

Part 2, "Enough":
Line 16, "lead" should be "led" since the rest of the narration is in past tense. The comma after Northern Range should be a semicolon.
Line 20, the commas after town and dangerous should be semicolons.
Line 24, Lorenzon's name is misspelled.
Line 364, "hords" should be "hordes."

Part 2, "Rescue":
Line 34, change "ranger" to "hunter" because that's Raenna's character class.
Line 434, "Magesty" should be "Majesty."

Part 2, 02_World:
Line 17, s/loose/lose/ :geek:
Line 32, "forrest" should be "forest."

Part 2, "Camp":
Line 237, "hussy" can't really refer to a man. Maybe change to "coward" or "whore" (or "man-whore")?

Part 2, "Fort":
Line 164, "Khule" should be "Kuhle."

Part 2, "Defend":
Line 15, "maccabre" should be "macabre." Also, "travelled" should be "traveled."
Line 173, "Khule" should be "Kuhle."
Lines 377 and 429, "truely" should be "truly."
Line 413, "The Huric" should be "Huric."

Part 2, "Guardian":
Line 372, "Lichs" should be "Liches."

Part 2, "Rumble":
Line 335, "truely" should be "truly."

Part 2, "Pit":
Line 399, "neigh" should be "nigh."
Line 673, "You're" should be "Your."
Line 983, "honour" should be "honor" unless you're British :D
Line 1060, "Arhg" should be "Argh" and "infadels" should be "infidels."

Part 2, "NewHome"
Line 309, "inhabitted" should be "inhabited."
Line 494, "riddence" should be "riddance."

Part 2, "Epilogue"
Line 104, "oour" should be "our."

Too tired to go on to the third part now. Maybe later.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Great. I'll try to get that in the next release. Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.8.0 went to the server. Most important changes are:

- MP era - I put the Primevals and Ukians in a MP era (along with Loyalists, Undead, and Orcs) to make it easier to get this thing balanced. I don't play MP, so this may be too difficult to keep an eye on and maintain. We shall see.
- Primeval faction - Primeval faction has more unit types.
- Last Scenario (part III) - Balancing that last scenario was impossible and the AI was just too slow (maybe because the map was too big and the units too spread out). It has been split into two scenarios. They are not really balanced either, but they should at least work and not take so long.
- Intro Scenario (part I)- I added an introductory fake scenario, hopefully it is an improvement over the text.
Juan-

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.8.0

Post by Juan- »

I found a problem about the MP era...the primevals faction can´t move, the other factions in the era work well...
Mnewton1 code acolite...
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I can't test it now to be sure, but the problem might be in data/campaigns/Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg, line 129. Make it look like this (uncomment line 129, comment out the two below it):

Code: Select all

[binary_path]
    path=data/campaigns/Bad_Moon_Rising
[/binary_path]
[+units]
# Not everything should be included
       {@campaigns/Bad_Moon_Rising/units}
#        {@campaigns/Bad_Moon_Rising/units/primeval}
 #       {@campaigns/Bad_Moon_Rising/units/ukians}
[/units]
The Campaign has units that are useless for the Era, so I tried to load only Ukians and Primeval. But I think I forgot to load their races.

EDIT: This is what I had intended to do put with 0.8.0. Replace the Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg with this and it should work. I'll upload the fix when I can.
Attachments
_main.cfg
(4.48 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
khelvan

Post by khelvan »

Hello, I just wanted to say that while I felt that Bad Moon Rising I was good, Bad Moon Rising II was amazing! Incredibly fun, even though I normally hate tight time constraints. I really enjoyed how you put this campaign together.

I did notice one problem - in the scenario where you had to catch Scarrion (the Pit?), if an orc wolf rider reached the trigger point (the area south of Vazzan) before your troops did, while in sight of your troops, when you reached the area afterward the trigger wouldn't happen. Also, it is possible to sneak a ton of dogs past Vazzan and block Scarrion from moving (he can only kill 1 at a time, so with a large number of dogs you can simply get him to sit still), so in my futile attempt to save General Maskov (sp?) I got Scarrion to trigger his appearance then blocked his path with dogs until my commandos could catch up. Of course, nothing changed, but the general was available to me in the very last scenario, surprisingly. I'm not sure if this was intended.

However, I am currently playing Bad Moon Rising III, and I'm sort of stuck on the first scenario. I am very confused as to what the victory conditions are. I've moved my NW characters to the top of the map but get no indication that this is what I'm supposed to do. Is there a particular location I have to reach? Do all of my heroes (and who exactly are the "heroes?") have to reach the top? On the road, or will the frozen river suffice? A signpost would be helpful here, I think, so that I know where to go.

Thanks for this awesome campaign!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

khelvan wrote:the general was available to me in the very last scenario, surprisingly. I'm not sure if this was intended.
No, that was not intended. Thanks for the report, I'll take another look at that scenario. It's been a troublesome one.

In Part III, scenario 1, you need to get the four starting characters to the top. If Lorenzon, Raenna, Belleros, and Carghanna don't all have little silver or gold crowns, then I made a mistake. They should all be heroes.

-------------
As long as I'm posting, I'll note that the very last scenario doesn't work as well as I thought it did. I hope to release an update this weekend.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've uploaded 0.8.1.
- Fixed the era.
- Fixed the last scenario. Or so I believe.
- Updated some images.
There is a small change to the Primeval line, but that faction does not have a recall lists so it shouldn't disrupt anyone.
------------
I've yet to fix the Part II scenario mentioned above. I hope to have it fixed next time.
wesfreak

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.8.1

Post by wesfreak »

i am having trouble with the pit. I cant find scarrion, even when i did debug and shroud off 2 see everywhere.
I killed all enemy units, including the green leader, and didn't find scarrion. If anyone could tell me how 2 post a replay or a picture of a map in a link i will show you the replay.

note: there is a ray of light coming down from the cieling onto a castle, which is where i assume where scarrion is, but i cant get to that place because there is a tyle of cave wall blocking the path, which continues on the other side and stops again. You still cant reach the light from there, even if you could get there. there is also a skeleton and altar in wall spaces.

edit: i just tried using debug to create a vampire bat to get to the light. it got there, but nothing happened.

in the meantime, i just skipped to the next stage.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.8.1

Post by doofus-01 »

There is a bug that I will fix next time. I think what is happening is that if you let the wolf riders get up ahead of you, a "sighted" event doesn't trigger and Scarrion doesn't show up.