Invasion from the Unknown (1.14.4) for Wesnoth 1.6 ONLY

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.10.2) for Wesnoth 1.5-1.6

Post by Iris »

If you switch between episodes, you won't get the portraits fixed for 1.5.7 either, unless you decide to ditch the recall list and the gold and start episode II "from scratch".
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

With revisions 3233 and 3234, I fixed temporarily the issue of the portraits not being "upgraded" to their higher resolution versions, and overriding the basic unit_type portraits.

e.g. I'll try to release 1.10.3 soon.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Theron

Post by Theron »

Campaign feedback:
IfTU 1.10.2, Part 1
Medium difficulty
Wesnoth 1.5.7
Mac OS X 10.5.6

Bug? (or feature request)
Dismissing the new transparent dialogs hitting SPACE is not possible as it is with the old dialogs or the intro screens.

Minor bug
In the beginning the intro screen starting with "Over the years..." does not display correctly.

Minor unit inconsistency
(Chaos) Crossbowman; (Chaos) Advanced Crossbowman: sprites show an axe but their descriptions say sword

Recall list
Units affected by holy water are shown with arcane attack (reverted back to blade when recalled)

Anlinde
No descriptions of former levels are accessable when Anlinde has advanced.

Scenario 1
AI likes to play (too) cautiously when I approach the castles.

Scenario 4
The note "dehydration applies to ALL units" is a bit misleading (undead, bats and spiris are not affected).
The attack strength of dehydrated units is not restored when resting in a village. Therefore the Orcs are no real threat.

Scenario 6
@docrock
236 gold was enough to dominate the Orcs. I finished on turn 24 (37 allowed).

Scenario 11 (Strike on New Knalga)
@docrock
This one is doable with only 104 gold:
2 Bats (quick village grabbing in the north) + recalling all of my 4 special units* did the trick. And then only recruiting Bats, Elvish Civilians and WCs.
Later there is enough cash flow to recall some veterans (e.g. an Elvish Shyde).
If there had not been the enemy boosts (especially the one on turn 12) I would have defeated them.
Elvish Sylph (ring of speed) hp 77, mp 8
Forefather (berserker potion) hp 45, mp 7
Forest Spirit (ring of regeneration, drain potion) hp 48, mp 6
Death Knight (void armor, poisonous bow) hp 66, mp 5

General:
After one has developed 1-2 dozen core units most scenarios are not too hard to play.

@docrock
I prefer the Necromancer over the Lich:
The one time I finished IftU 1.9.x I had a Necromancer (using plague), a Death Knight (boosting the WCs) and an Elvish Shyde (healing support for the chaotic units) in the final team.

A Forest Spirit with ring of regeneration and drain potion (and maybe ring of speed) may be overpowered.

---

Thank you very much for this nice campaign.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Theron wrote:Campaign feedback:
IfTU 1.10.2, Part 1
Medium difficulty
Wesnoth 1.5.7
Mac OS X 10.5.6

Bug? (or feature request)
Dismissing the new transparent dialogs hitting SPACE is not possible as it is with the old dialogs or the intro screens.
That doesn't pertain to this thread. Nonetheless, this regression (and the ESC one) is fixed in mainline SVN.

Minor bug
In the beginning the intro screen starting with "Over the years..." does not display correctly.
Could you be a bit more specific please? What is the problem? At what display resolution? Screenshot?

Minor unit inconsistency
(Chaos) Crossbowman; (Chaos) Advanced Crossbowman: sprites show an axe but their descriptions say sword
Recall list
Units affected by holy water are shown with arcane attack (reverted back to blade when recalled)
... holy water affects units until the remainder of the current scenario...
Anlinde
No descriptions of former levels are accessable when Anlinde has advanced.
Good catch... This is because all of them have hide_help=true in WML. Sorry. :oops: Now it is fixed in wesnoth-umc-dev SVN.
Scenario 1
AI likes to play (too) cautiously when I approach the castles.

Scenario 4
The note "dehydration applies to ALL units" is a bit misleading (undead, bats and spiris are not affected).
Now fixed too, thanks.
The attack strength of dehydrated units is not restored when resting in a village. Therefore the Orcs are no real threat.
That's inherited from Under the Burning Suns actually; but both UtBS and IftU were changed to hydrate units on villages now, in their respective SVN repositories.
General:
After one has developed 1-2 dozen core units most scenarios are not too hard to play.
:(
A Forest Spirit with ring of regeneration and drain potion (and maybe ring of speed) may be overpowered.
Indeed. I'll see what I can do about that
Thank you very much for this nice campaign.
Thanks for the bug reports!
Theron

Post by Theron »

>> ... holy water affects units until the remainder of the current scenario...

I attached screenshots (recall list in scenario 6).

Note that I had recalled the Trapper named ..Amebrion in scenario 5.
The leading .. indicates that he had picked up a flask of holy water.

..Cith still shows the arcane attack which is misleading.
Attachments
arcane attack shown
arcane attack shown
blade attack shown
blade attack shown
Theron

Post by Theron »

Sorry for the double post. But 4 attachments aren't allowed.

>> Could you be a bit more specific please? What is the problem? At what display resolution? Screenshot?
Attachments
Fullscreen mode (1280x800)
Fullscreen mode (1280x800)
Window mode (1024x752)
Window mode (1024x752)
docrock

Post by docrock »

Scenario 6
@docrock
236 gold was enough to dominate the Orcs. I finished on turn 24 (37 allowed).
i never complained about that one. :) surely easily beatable if you (unlike me) don't go for levelling unnecessary units like ghouls (which i did there to round out my recall list and therefore promptly ended up late).
If there had not been the enemy boosts (especially the one on turn 12) I would have defeated them.
that's the point. i tried out this one with 3 different tactical layouts and could not beat it with the gold i had then.
why do something about that? most of episode II (if played continously from episode I) is about going in with the hq units only and ripping them to pieces. i don't see a problem there. it's only a deal of numbers vs. quality unitwise. i'll this time try to play epiII without recall list, just to see what it is like then. also, i'd bet it is absolutely not easy to balance epi II for continous/fresh play.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.10.3) for Wesnoth 1.5-1.6

Post by Iris »

Version 1.10.3 has been released and is available at the usual locations as described in the first post, as usual...

Code: Select all

Version 1.10.3:
- EXPERIMENTAL [U]:
    - Make Galas, Mal Keshar, Erathan Althurin and Igor use kitty's transparent
      portraits in 1.5.7.

- Administration and maintenance:
    - Removed unused, deprecated and/or unmaintained files:
        - SPOILERS
        - TEXT_SOURCES

- Graphics:
    - New portraits: Mal Keshar [D]

- Scenarios:
    - 3 (Memories from the Depths):
        - Faerie spirits aren't supposed to be able to take the Ring of
          Switftness.
    - 4 (Over the Sands):
        - Merged from upstream (/trunk/data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns):
            - revision 31828 <zookeeper> Added a little overlay icon to
              dehydrated units.
              (Tue Dec 30 21:38:13 2008 +0000)
            - revision 31840 <zookeeper> Allowed villages to rehydrate units.
              (Wed Dec 31 17:55:05 2008 +0000)
            - revision 31841 <zookeeper> Fixed rehydration screwing up attack
              stats of units that leveled up after getting dehydrated.
              (Wed Dec 31 18:16:45 2008 +0000)
    - 5a (Crossfire), 5b (Cursed Plateau):
        - Faerie spirits aren't supposed to be able to take the Ring of
          Regeneration.
    - 9 (The Library):
        - Fixed enemy respawn points.
    - 10 (The Source of Light):
        - Faerie and elvish spirits aren't supposed to be able to take the
          Draining potion.
        - Text revisions, including a few English variant fixes (e.g. UK
          English in middle of US English). Also gave Igor more stuff to say.
    - 14 (Bye and Behold):
        - Make Igor available when starting episode II on HARD.
    - 21 (The Heart):
        - Fix graphic glitches.
        - Fix an "invalid WML" warning.
    - 22A (Innuendo):
        - Blocked entrance to secret scenario.
        - Fixed spelling mistakes.
        - Made the filters for objects that may be applied only to living
          beings exclude Faerie Spirits as well.
        - Revised dialog and objectives text.
    - 22B (The Gauntlet):
        - Revised dialog text.
    - 22C (The Backyard):
        - Removed unbalanced and unmaintained scenario, "The Backyard".

- Units:
    - Made Anlindë's unit line visible in the help engine again.
    - Removed units: Captain, Commander, Dark General, Swordsman (mainline
                     override), Man at Arms, Champion, Crossbowman, High Guard,
                     Deathguard.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Theron:

About the text overflow: effectively a engine bug. I am not sure whether to fix it or not; the best fix would be accepting WML markup in story screens (<r,g,b>, @, #, ` ...), since the issue was caused by a stray ` character in the text string.

About the recall list weirdness: I cannot reproduce it in 1.5.7+svn so I assume it was fixed:

Code: Select all

Miscellaneous and bug fixes:
  * Fix a bug with temporary objects not being removed at next scenario
Reval

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.4) for Wesnoth 1.4

Post by Reval »

Moved from IFtU's 1.4 thread to the proper thread. - Turuk

Also a question to "20_Under_the_Sands": In the very south at the small river, you can see a small gate. Can you open it somehow and is there something behind it?

I removed all the leaders and also took the glyph, but this one seems unsolved to me.
It would have been nice to be able to use the new transformation skill, transform the girl into a drone and do something in disguise with her to open that gate.
Also the drones should stop to apear when all the matrix things are gone.

Also some more comments:
For the berserk potion, I think it said in the discription that the duration lasts for this "scenario" which I interpreted as "level" (otherweise it seems completly clear that such things do not expand over a CAMPAIGN.)

Berserk goes really great together with drain! Even though my Galas did not took the berserk potion, a Berserk-Horrorbat is one of the coolest things I have seen in the game.

And why was my Galas not able to pick up the poisened Bow (as a level 3 Marshal) while a level 2 Hero could?

I also do not get, why the dwarfs had to leave. They did not want to say hello to there old friends, the north humans?! And where should they have gone?

And what I really, really hated that the level 5 Deamon in 13_Face_your_Fate restored to full health when killed. I mean it was really close to impossible to achieve it and than that. If one is really able to do it, one should be able to enjo it. (And maybe get Alindae back later when she cougth up.)

And why had the Lich to flee in 18_Armageddon (?) when you killed the level 5 imp? (Which I actually did in round 3. And aren't level 5 figures a little out of scale?!?)

Still, even though I do not like the dark atmosphere (just my taste because I think it doesn't fit the atmosphere of the gameitself) from Invasion from the Unknown (and the fact that it obviosly takes place eons aftereverything else) and "Under the burning Sun", this is definetly one of the best campaigns I played.
How you can pimp up Galas (or somebody else) without leveling him beyond level 3 is just great. (Btw. would I have missed the regenerate ring if I took the road to 05b_Cursed_Plateau?)

Also the "band of brothers" feeling is really great. Balancing is also fine while it seemed a little hard at the beginning, it prooved wothy to put some effort in not loosing characters at the begining.

I also like the north people very much, great guys, spearman seems very strong for a level one character.

This should be it for now.

Still great work, you can really fell how much work went in there!
Last edited by Reval on January 15th, 2009, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I am assuming you are playing on Wesnoth 1.4.
Reval wrote:Also a question to "20_Under_the_Sands": In the very south at the small river, you can see a small gate. Can you open it somehow and is there something behind it?
Nope, you can't open it. Whenever a door can be opened, there will be a clue about it in some fashion. Although, judging by what *is* behind the gate, I must have had the intention to put something there, perhaps another trap.
And why was my Galas not able to pick up the poisened Bow (as a level 3 Marshal) where a level 2 Hero could?
Captains and Marshals cannot pick it because they simply do not want to use poison. They adhere more to the tradition than Heroes and Champions. ;)
I also do not get, why the dwarfs had to leave. They did not want to say to there old friends, the north humans?! And where should they have gone?
:hmm: I admit this is a plot hole I didn't think of. I just wanted to get rid of the dwarves for a time. Nonetheless, I guess I can fix it later. The dwarves go to set encampments somewhere in the Far North, since Knalga is no longer safe for them.
And what I really,really hated that the level 5 Deamon in 13_Face_your_Fate restored to full health when killed. I mean it was really close to impossible to achieve it and than that. If one is really able to do it, one should be able to enjo it.
Sorry, but that's the story. She is invincible - however, I may be seeking to give her the same effect of the final boss, in which damage is restored on every hit.
And why had the Lich to flee in 18_Armageddon (?) when you killed the level 5 imp? (Which I actually did in round 3. [...]
That's the story. That Lich, is an essential key to the sequel I'm writing. And it is part of his personality to escape when he finds himself at disadvantage.
And aren't level 5 figures a little out of scale?!?)
What. I don't understand what you mean with this.
(Btw. would I have missed the regenerate ring if I took the road to 05b_Cursed_Plateau?)
No. It is easier to get it there than in 05a.
Balancing is also fine while it seemed a little hard at the beginning, I prooved wothy to put some effort in not loosing characters at the begining.
In what difficulty level did you play?

Reminder: I have abandoned development or bugfixing of this campaign for Wesnoth 1.4. Now the focus is 1.5.
Reval

Post by Reval »

Shadow Master wrote:I am assuming you are playing on Wesnoth 1.4.
No, I am using 1.5.7. So far I expirienced no bugs, what doesn't meant that there aren't any, just that I am not aware of them.
Shadow Master wrote:
Reval wrote:Also a question to "20_Under_the_Sands": In the very south at the small river, you can see a small gate. Can you open it somehow and is there something behind it?

Nope, you can't open it. Whenever a door can be opened, there will be a clue about it in some fashion. Although, judging by what *is* behind the gate, I must have had the intention to put something there, perhaps another trap.
I edited my post from a moment ago on that. As I said, would be nice to find something there.
Shadow Master wrote:
And why was my Galas not able to pick up the poisened Bow (as a level 3 Marshal) where a level 2 Hero could?

Captains and Marshals cannot pick it because they simply do not want to use poison. They adhere more to the tradition than Heroes and Champions. ;)
:-( How could one ever assume that this happens when choosing the path for Galas? And I am just not convinced by your reason given. ;-)
Shadow Master wrote:
And what I really,really hated that the level 5 Deamon in 13_Face_your_Fate restored to full health when killed. I mean it was really close to impossible to achieve it and than that. If one is really able to do it, one should be able to enjo it.

Sorry, but that's the story. She is invincible - however, I may be seeking to give her the same effect of the final boss, in which damage is restored on every hit.
Hm, her minions later told me, that she barely survieved and is just "hurt". Don't buy it.
Shadow Master wrote:
And why had the Lich to flee in 18_Armageddon (?) when you killed the level 5 imp? (Which I actually did in round 3. [...]

That's the story. That Lich, is an essential key to the sequel I'm writing. And it is part of his personality to escape when he finds himself at disadvantage.
Ok, I buy that.
Shadow Master wrote:
Balancing is also fine while it seemed a little hard at the beginning, I prooved wothy to put some effort in not loosing characters at the begining.

In what difficulty level did you play?

Normal.
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Spectre + beserker potion = the horror. I've seen it do 17 dmg on a hit, 4 hits in a row, and then draining half of it.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Just a note: I plan to release IftU 1.10.4 tomorrow. It won't be compatible with Wesnoth 1.5.7 or 1.5.6, as in, the portraits won't work properly.

It will be compatible with 1.5.8 though (whose source code and Windows binaries have already been released; just keep it quiet or the release manager will want to burn me alive) . :P
Theron

Post by Theron »

Hi, if there will be a new version soon, I should post my experience with 1.10.3 now:

IftU 1.10.3, part 1, medium difficulty

Wenoth 1.5.7
Mac OS X 10.5.6

Scenario, starting gold, turns/max. turns, statistics(recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills)
1 190 31/33 12-0-11-3-31
2 252 19/24 28-9-22-8-81
3 202 44/61 37-17-30-15-142
4 304 47/70 48-23-44-21-228
5b 100 27/36 53-28-49-24-275
6 436

Scenario comments:
Scenario 1 (Border Patrol)
- Typo in storytext: [...] Most people sdo not crave [...]
- I played agressively giving the AI a few good opportunities to kill more units of mine - which it didn't use.
- At some point the AI switched from agressive to defensive play (?) which may be the cause.
- XP harvesting is possible: This time I got 11 advancements.
Scenario 2 (A Real Confrontation)
- 1 reload: I overlooked a threat to Anlinde. She got killed.
- No problem to beat all enemies.
- XP harvesting is possible.
Scenario 3 (Memories from the Depths)
- 1 reload near the end: I tried something different to beat Mal Keshar but it didn't work.
Scenario 4 (Over the Sands)
- Usually one have spotted a ghost before the dialog "A Ghost?" is triggered.
- Elvish Ascetic (Anlinde, level2) prevents and cures dehydration (reduced attack strength) although she has only "cure" but no "heal".
I did a quick test recruiting an Elvish Shaman: Neither "cure" nor "heal" ability is needed but usage=healer?
- The word "escapatory" is used in one message: Should be "escape"? Slang?
- The Gryphon is fully healed when waked up. Better idea: Treat aerie like water hexes = no dehydration of sleeping gryphon?
- No early finish bonus when scenario 5b is choosen.
[Scenario 5a (Crossfire) played in IftU 1.10.2]
- The factions are IMHO perfectly balanced.
- I killed all leaders myself.
Scenario 5b (Cursed Plateau)
- In 5a there is an explanation why Dark Adepts are recruitable. This is missing in 5b.
- 1 reload (strategic error)
Scenario 6 (The Moon Valley)
- Typo in storytext?: [...] this revivifying beauty [...]
- Advancing from 5b one has much more gold than advancing from 5a. Balancing issue?

General comments:
- The Chaos Invoker (level 1) has leadership. Why? There aren't any level 0 units?
- Elvish Trapper: Missing defense animation?
- Skeleton Rider: Missing defense animation?
- Bone Knight: Missing defense animation?
- Regarding my previous comment about overall difficulty: It really helps to have played IftU before. For first time players it will be hard as there are more nasty surprises and they may not know the chaos faction well.
    - 10 (The Source of Light):
        - Faerie and elvish spirits aren't supposed to be able to take the Draining potion.
- Elvish spirits already have draining. But excluding them makes sense as they are non-living units.