RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v0.3.2- 10.07.2020

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

docrock

Re: RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v1.12

Post by docrock »

"Finding the Exit": nicely playable, good beginning but too weak enemies after the inital onslaught, overall too easy i would say

"Interference": though the dwarfes are gone from the recall-list i can still recruit them, i'd guess this is not intended

edit: "Interference" is much too easy. no real threat to the civilians and the orcish leader is just underpowered. what about some goblin pillagers in the woods to make moving the civilians harder and maybe a gold boost for the orc every five turns. so it would rather be interesting to kill him instead of having him dead by turn 7 and still moving around those elves till they finally make it to their tree-hugging party.

edit2: "A lucky Meeting": might i say that Dillon's AI is just ... plain stupid. so, he is recruiting in the first turn and then goes off for a wild goose chase through the undead. almost impossible to protect him through this, and best of all: he has gold (282) and income and simply does not recruit a single unit afterwards. why can't the dude just stick to his castle? besides that, i am now using my insane starting gold to just outnumber them :twisted:
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Reval

Post by Reval »

Agree with docrock, and A lucky Meeting is indeed much harder than the two before. I just did it without any loss because of my good bank status after finding the exit and my great number of paladins (7 or so).
In the last scence, Konrad and Li'sar obviously where there cloaking cloak - or they are invisible for some other reason.
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
docrock

Post by docrock »

yep, agree, this is the money-drainer. i fielded 61 units (lol) mostly lvl2 and lvl1 i had recruited earlier to accompany Dillon on his trip through undead-land. this made up for really eating all the gold i had saved earlier, so overall, balance is in order i think. actually, this became one of the best scenarios in the campaign through the sorcereress/necro spawn and the hordes of undead to walk through. big army, crapload of enemies, lots of xp to get, a great diversity of units at hand, what else would one want? this even felt a bit like playing mp vs someone doing the WC spam. just let Dillon sit on his castle and this one will go for a really classic tactically challenging scenario. even with all that gold.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Funny thing is - I haven't given Dillons AI any specific instructions :)

and I forgot to not only remove the dwarves from the recruitment list, but I also forgot to turn off bonus_gold for early compeltion on the previous 2 levels.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna do as you suggest and make enemies tougher and do some other tweaks to the scenarios.

And the things I have planed for some of the following scenarios are gonna be brutal
Spoiler:
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
TrashMan

Re: RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v1.13

Post by TrashMan »

Fixes implemented, as well as some changes. :wink:
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

TrashMan wrote:
Spoiler:
*dies*

Hm, I think I had started on this campaign.. Can't remember how far I got. I'll have to go check it out again. :wink:
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Dillon is borderline suicidal dammit!
And I used the same AI setting I used for Sir Casivir. Agh.. a few minor fixes, as well as a few changes to "A Lucky Metting". I added the passive_leader=yes line. He should behave now instead of charging the undead horde

Konrad and Li'Sar being invisible should also be fixed now :P

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

Forget Dillon, Lt. Ployer in the 3rd scenario is terrible. >_>

Edit: the scenario Orcish Incursion crashes my game. :(

Edit2:

You had a typo in your code, here's the fix:

Code: Select all

[switch]
            variable=old_ellderon_level

[case]
                value=1
                {VARIABLE new_ellderon_type Sergeant}
            [/case]

[else]
                {VARIABLE new_ellderon_type Lieutenant}
            [/else]
        [/switch]
docrock

Post by docrock »

Forget Dillon, Lt. Ployer in the 3rd scenario is terrible
isn't that the one where Ployer actually should die?
Dillon is borderline suicidal dammit
I added the passive_leader=yes line
all allied leaders should be set to passive imho. else the 1.5.x ai does show a strange tendency to leave the castle and once it has done so to not return there for recruiting or anything. Casivir also was a pest to protect due to his high movement. what regularily happens is this:
- enemy unit or enemy village is in range of leader
- leader goes out for the kill or the taking
- another enemy unit or village comes into range
- rinse and repeat until ally leader is far from home and has nothing in range anymore
- now ally leader just sits around and awaits the bitter end
so yes, passive i say.

edit: about Ellderon changing unit type, i would suggest also taking into account that he could actually be lvl3 at the time this happens, so an option for turning him into general should also be inserted i think.

can confirm that Konrad and Li'Sar are fixed now.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

This new AI tendency is irritating. When I tested the scenarios, Sir Casavir didn0t move unless a enemy actually entered the castle. Even then, he would go back and recruit new units.

Oh, the the unit change restriction is deliberate. It just doesn't make sense (story-wise) for Ellderon to be a General or Marshall yet.

I'll fix that typo in Orcish _Incursion. I'll also make some changes to Ployers AI..make him passive too. That way he will probably survive till the end of turns.

UPDATED

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

It was kinda dumb, I was surviving fine until near the end when the level 2 thugs show up and he suicided into them. I finally just recruited a whole slew of spearmen and surrounded the enemy so he couldn't get to them. :wink:
docrock

Post by docrock »

Sir Casavir didn0t move unless a enemy actually entered the castle
very correct, and even more irritating, but after that he went out like a mad cat, contrary to dillon, who did not even need anybody come to his castle to start doing the "i am a lvl4 mage unit, nothing can happen to me"-thing.
It just doesn't make sense (story-wise) for Ellderon to be a General or Marshall yet
understood and agree.

btw, just started playing through it again and i got to say, it's even the second time good fun, evermore for the fixes, balancings and the things you know already from first time (like less surprises ...). really, this one gains from another go, with different tactics and that like. that's the stuff really great campaigns like UtbS, IftU, SotbE, DiD and such are made of. keep up the great work.

edit: i just realised while playing through again that the enemy leaders do actually show the very same suicidal behaviour on 1.5.8. especially Bradock in "The Raid" is a real candidate for a Darwin-Award, going alone in broad daylight vs a pikeman and a spearman. great idea, lol, even more with the pikeman sitting on a village.

edit2: those new pics in the current version on 1.5.8 are just great. even Ployer does look cool.

edit3: Ployer again. in "Silent Night" his death does still trigger victory.

edit4: "Flight" still does not trigger victory on 1.5.8 when moving the heroes to the exit point

edit5 (i so sure am gonna break the edit-one-post record, ha): in "Betrayl" (which should be spelled "Betrayal" btw) the team-colors are identic, making friend and foe looking alike. not good for a quick overview of the action. also, what's wrong with the recall list? i earlier levelled several woodsmen into poachers and even trappers (which are a hell of an asset actually) and now they are gone? yeah, and no woodsmen either, where did they all go to? having some tea with rum in a hunting hut somewhere deep within the forests?

edit6 (yeah, i made it that far, and no consecutive posts, harrr ...): another candidate for a darwin award: Cailan. make them passive, please. really. it is just such an annoyance to have everything within the plan just to get it spoiled by one ally suiciding into the enemy.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You know it would have helped if I'd known that in the third senario you were supposed to let the green leader died. I was thinking it was like clearwater port where you had to keep your ally leader alive, and as a result I always ended up dieing first.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

I don't think it triggered win for me when he died. O_O

Maybe it did, but I sure didn't know about it. :annoyed:
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Velensk wrote:You know it would have helped if I'd known that in the third senario you were supposed to let the green leader died. I was thinking it was like clearwater port where you had to keep your ally leader alive, and as a result I always ended up dieing first.

The only reason why Ployers death triggers victory is because it makes sense from a narrative persepective. Ambushed and outnumbered, you will rout. If you leader dies, then you will rout even faster.
That said I think I removed the victory event from Ployers death in the last update. Not sure, but either way it doesn't matter.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<