A story for someone who wants it

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SoulVexter

A story for someone who wants it

Post by SoulVexter »

I wrote an unpublished book and bfw was an inspiration, so now I want to make a scenario following its interesting plot.

I have all character ideas and how much their attack would be and all that stuff that takes time to think up, but being computer noobish..

If your good at making scenarios or campaigns contact me and I'll give you all the info you want to know. Basic plot-line as follows:

Kid is rescued from bandits. Masterthief helps him survive, then follows him because he's always been a wanderer. the kid decides he wants to make a band of bounty hunters and recruits a lot of bounty hunters (character "icon" appearance, it all works– even though each recruit is unique).

Considering that it's a /book/, i had to leave out all my super cool mini plots (such as the band getting ambushed) but if your interested let me know and I'll tell you as much as you want to know. Won't be offended if you change your mind
"Where there's nothing to live for, there's everything to die for."
TheGreatRings

Re: A story for someone who wants it

Post by TheGreatRings »

Most likely no one will be interested. This is not nessissarily due to any flaws in your idea (though you need to post more details), but due to the fact that a lot of people have their own ideas and won't want to "do your work for you". I might be willing to help, except for the fact that I probably know less about this stuff than you do. Sorry. :(
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Most of what The Great Rings said rings true (ha, funny I know), but he raises an especially good point. If you go into detail and actually fully lay out what you had envisioned, who knows, you may well attract a coder who is like wow, I would love to create that campaign and get the credit for having a hand in a great idea.

It's sort of how I advise people with their faction/era ideas, you cannot just put out vague references and expect to draw interest. You really have to sell your idea and use a lot of detail.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
SoulVexter

Post by SoulVexter »

very good point. I read somewhere on the forum that there are a lot of people who would love to have good story campaign ideas. Guess its probably wrong.

and as for the other guys comment, i'm not trying to make anyone else "do my work," i just thought that (having assumed the its true that many are looking for ideas) I would allow another person to use my idea. and tell them the ideas. and let them take full credit
"Where there's nothing to live for, there's everything to die for."
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

SoulVexter wrote:very good point. I read somewhere on the forum that there are a lot of people who would love to have good story campaign ideas. Guess its probably wrong.
I would not completely disagree with this, but I think that problem is that very few people are willing to completely accept someone else's storyline and code for it if they are doing the work. I feel that the few times in the past I have seen people collaborate, it tends to fall apart over disagreements about what should happen (as translating the story into game events may sometimes be altered), or over how to address problems with balance/playability without sacrificing too much of the story. Or, one of the two is working on a part and then drops out of the project or just disappears, leaving the other up in the air over what to do.

It is not all bad, there are plenty of instances of coordination turning out for the better, such as a great deal of the work that gets done in the UMC Sandbox by a coordinated group of Developers/Players. But even we butt heads from time to time. ;)

I would say your best bet is to probably lay out an outline of your storyline, and how it would have to be broken down into scenarios, the major characters, the enemy, the goal/endpoint of the campaign. Give people a feel for what you envision, and then see if anyone will pick it up.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Well, at the risk of repeating what is usually said when something like this comes up, you could also try to learn WML and make the campaign yourself. Believe me it isn't that hard. I'm fairly clueless when it comes to computers but it only took me a couple months of sitting down and looking at the Wiki every once in a while to learn what I needed to know to make a campaign. One of the best parts of Wesnoth is making your own stuff, so it really is worthwhile to take some time and learn. :)
claudya

Post by claudya »

Unlike what the other posters said I'd love to code someone else's ideas.
Well, I have a few ideas of my own, but I'm to shy to share them because I fear I'd be laughed at. So I better work on other people's ideas. ;-)

So, SoulVexter, if you're still interested, let me know.
I'm not quite experienced in coding, but I'd love to get a challenge to get deeper into WML.