The War of the Dragon

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: The War of the Dragon

Post by Velensk »

I see... the problem is that 1100 gold. I may not have to edit the level so much as turn off the gold bonus in the last one, and maybe up the minimum gold.

You're the only one for whom Alloria has not reappeared.

@ docrock: I have not served in the armed forces, nor have any in my family. If my language is strage to you, it is for some other reason.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
docrock

Post by docrock »

I have not served in the armed forces, nor have any in my family
just joking. it's only that i never before met anybody using the terms "positively" and "negatively" outside the military before. like "positively sir, it's a minefield down there. and now we have to reinforce the scout team." :lol2:
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
madison

Post by madison »

I had a 1000+ gold start to "Lissuandra's last stand" as well and was able to defeat the Dragon with hordes of shards to get things started. Now I have Lissuandra as the leader for "Fleeing the Dragon" and I can't find the trigger to end the scenario. I'm hoping its not the fact that I have Lissuandra as the leader...

Any help?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It should be in the main part of the city on the right side of the bank, and should be an area, rather than a point.

There is a bug that occurs because you are not supposed to survive the last level. That is something that will be fixed in the upcomeing release.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
domichan

Post by domichan »

Not sure if this is technically a reply or not but ... firstly ... WOTD is DEFINITELY my favourite Wesnoth campaign. Very hard but, more entertainingly, very different from the other campaigns i've played. Only main trouble is, after completing Battle of the Unseen, i get an error "unknown scenario" and the campaign ends.

The xxx Last Stand was a little dull once i worked out i could hide her in a corner with a little bit of cover and surrounded by some health givers who were largely surrounded by walking undead who got in the way of other foe but were too ... cautious? ... to fight. 40 turns later I had to kill xxx off to continue.

PLEASE get me going again and keep up the good work :D
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Domichan, Battle of the Unseen is the current end of the campaign. It's a WIP so Velensk is still building/developing the rest of the campaign, and I am sure he can expound further on where the campaign is going.

I am certain he will be more than happy to hear you like it, I have helped him with testing it and I know he has put a lot of time and effort into it.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
domichan

Post by domichan »

Cheers for the quick response. I'll send a more thorough review and hope he gets on with it :D
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

First of all, I'm going to appologise for not getting the next section out by the deadline I set. I did not know my family was planning to go places on christmas break. I've only had real access to my work since thrusday night. I've finished the stuff for the next few senarios, but am suffering technical difficulties on senario 11 (variables not initaliseing) (it's easily the most complex senario I've ever tried making). I also have not had time to playtest my senarios the way I prefer to do before releasing them, however in this case, I'm going to release them before that, and let you people do that testing.

I have made renovations to the last few senarios of the first part, and fixed many bugs. Most notable changes made to Lisaundras Stand (removed gold bonus in previous senario, heavy modifications to terrain, a few gimicks thrown in to encourage agression), but Fleeing the Dragon, and battle with the unseen have been made slightly harder, and slightly easier respectivly
peitzmann

Post by peitzmann »

I cannot get the "Fleeing the Dragon" scenario to end. Lisaundra has survived the previous scenario (admittedly after many retries and a couple of saves). But now Lisaundra stays and Alloria doesn't come back, and when reaching the city in the south I don't find a trigger to end. (It seems I've searched all of the city ...)

Should I be able to end it, or is the fact that I survived the Stand preventing me to continue? Do I have to make sure to get Lisuandra killed? Or did I still miss the trigger? Any hints?

Btw.: a nice campaign so far!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You cannot proceed if Lisaundra surivees. However wait to continue playing until I release the next version, it includes many bug fixes.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Part II is up, sorry for it being late.

I havn't had as much opertunity to test as I'd have liked, but I was busy preparing for exams last week, and I'll be taking them this week, and I'd rather not wait a week when I'm pretty sure that I've got all the mechanics working. Please report bugs ect.

In particular, please look for discrepancies in the Temple of the Deep senario. It is a very complex senario with so many small things that could go wrong due to its nature. Also, I'd like people who complete that level to give me a report of how much gold they come out with.
OdysseusD

Post by OdysseusD »

Hey Velensk, kudos on the campaign, love the direction it's going in and all its quirks (limited recruiting is awesome, really makes you work for the win :D )

I particularly liked 'The Way Under', which was epic, and just when you think it can't get any better, 'Lisuandra's Stand' comes along to bowl you over. Pissed me off, too, because first time through I'd picked up that spear with Lisu...only to find out that she was now going to die. Annoying. :x

'Lisuandra's Stand' was interesting - particularly the tactics of the ai. For one thing, the skeletons were very wary of attack at the western front - they claimed the two villages, and then just mass on one side of the river - only once did they try to cross, and having lost a few units they retreated, left a few units on their side, came around with the rest of the troops and attacked with the bulk of the dragon's forces. Even though they could have easily mashed my little lev 1s and punched through that flanks defense, given enough luck. Or at least, keep those troops engaged. Well, at least they did try the crossing at night.

The Dragon acted like one. In that, he hoarded all his gold. I actually made good inroads against him - advanced from the fort to that mountain ridge/sandtrap halfway to his base. Looked like he was spawning 2-3 units per turn. Suddenly, he hits me with 1 1/2 full spawns (10+ units), together with the skeletons who had doubled back (and who wedged me in so that I couldn't retreat properly), and it was gg.

As for the drakes, I managed to wipe them out entirely - those flame summons were the difference, they make great walls/decoys. Not sure if that's what you intended. :D

Oh, and survival was 27 turns. Though if I had the intellect to try the anti-drake crystal strat some people have been advocating, their demise may have been faster and that may have been longer.

Two issues with the Fleeing the Dragon scenario. First, you really need to have SOMETHING telling players NOT to rescue the elf princess (which is what I thought I was doing, until I came here and read this thread). At least, a nearby corpse with a letter saying something like 'only fools reach for what they cannot have'. Or something. Second, the Warg don't spawn any units at all - everytime (well, I only tried it twice, the second time to test specifically this) I get down there, I get to fight the leader and that's it - only got to level two of my guys, and that's off the back of the skeletons. Is it just me?

Anyway, more to come when I have the time to play. Again, cheers to a great work in progress, keep it up and this'll go mainline, for sure. :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Question how much gold did you come into lisaundras stand with? If you're playing on the more recent version there should be no bonus from the way under.

EDIT: As a note, the AI recieves periodic gold boosts.

If you read the dialoge you are told not to step into the faerie ring (except will whom you're supposed to send into it)
JW

Post by JW »

I recently started playing this and I love how it picks up where Count Kromire left us! Very good campaign design! I haven't finished, but it is also looking quite good.
SirTheta

Post by SirTheta »

Perhaps y'all have some advice.. I have the EoM installed, but it still tells me there is no Windsong Prophetess unit (was originally Windsong Prophet, which I changed), so I've started with Alloria as a Weaver. Any ideas?