'When Came out the Shadows' campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

domingo

Re: 'When Came out the Shadows' campaign

Post by domingo »

Thank you for this quick answer Turuk! :)

I am going to finish the update for 1.6. I need to replace the black-backgrounded by transparent pictures, especially Konrad's portrait. Could you tell me who drew it? It's the old Konrad II's portrait which were used in the Eastern Invasion campaign and that I used until now (because I like this picture :P )...

I saw his website but I couldn't ask him. :lol2:

Thanks

edit: I've found. It's Pickslide :)
Last edited by domingo on June 25th, 2009, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domingo

Post by domingo »

WCotS has been updated (1.1.0).

Code updated, better scenarios, better balancing... Unfortunately only the "Easy" level has been tested currently.

Tell me something you think about my campaign if you try(ied) it: characters, story, what could be changed... :)
docrock

Post by docrock »

hi, playing current version on BfW 1.6.2 with default difficulty. i already played through an earlier version some time ago and have to say it has improved a lot. i am currently at "rediscover the green isle" and here the comments so far:

characters:
- konrad seems a bit too easy about things to me, like say the (only?) prince of wesnoth taken on an expedition with his father for the first time would be more concerned (at least in the first scenarios) about his fate, which should be reflected in the dialogue a bit more
- cutty is very ok as it is
- haldric also seems a bit too easy about the fate of his (again: only?) heir, i mean if konrad is the only heir and both would die on that expedition civil war in wesnoth could be the consequence
- merlin is ok, as are the guards and the other loyal forces who get to speak in the dialogues are also

story:
- pretty good yet inconsistent at times, for example: lord glym tells that the merman hero i got earlier has died, yet he is still clearly on the battlefield, in the next dialogue box the very same (supposedly dead) merman entangler tells me that he actually had been a spy and now has to return to his superiors to report
- so to say: giving two reasons for the same event (loosing that merman hero from the recall list) is not good
- the circumstances of haldric's death could be explained better

language:
- your translations from french are horrible at times, sorry to say so, but some of the dialogue and entry texts are more confusing than helpful, maybe you should try to find someone with better english to clear up this mess, i would offer my help there but i am drowning in work currently and don't have any spare time for that atm

sidenotes:
- some more information about new recruits available would ease things for the more unexperienced player who does not check the recruit list every scenario
- the player should not loose gold for scenarios where nothing happens
- i like the campaign a lot and it is good fun to play, some very interesting scenarios (especially the island-hopping stuff) and pretty well balanced so far, thanks for the lots of work you must have put into this and keep it up :)
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
domingo

Post by domingo »

Thank you docrock to have played my campaign. :)
docrock wrote:- konrad seems a bit too easy about things to me, like say the (only?) prince of wesnoth taken on an expedition with his father for the first time would be more concerned (at least in the first scenarios) about his fate, which should be reflected in the dialogue a bit more
- cutty is very ok as it is
- haldric also seems a bit too easy about the fate of his (again: only?) heir, i mean if konrad is the only heir and both would die on that expedition civil war in wesnoth could be the consequence
- merlin is ok, as are the guards and the other loyal forces who get to speak in the dialogues are also
I understand this but in the story (612 YW) Konrad II is "only" 19 (born in 593 YW) and without any big experience. However it is true that he should be more concerned. I note. :wink:
Concerning Haldric, yes he seems too easy but it is said that the conquest of a such archipelago would be a "routine" for the Wesnothians so the adventure should not be dangerous - that is the way Haldric thinks. Besides, when they leave Wesnoth they consider this adventure as a security against the orcs from the Green Isle and not as a certain war...
docrock wrote:story:
- pretty good yet inconsistent at times, for example: lord glym tells that the merman hero i got earlier has died, yet he is still clearly on the battlefield, in the next dialogue box the very same (supposedly dead) merman entangler tells me that he actually had been a spy and now has to return to his superiors to report
- so to say: giving two reasons for the same event (loosing that merman hero from the recall list) is not good
- the circumstances of haldric's death could be explained better
-Uh, hups! :mrgreen: I saw a such bug but not as big as you say... :shock: Need to see the code again...
-Well, I don't know what to say but I could explain better his death. I was pretty concise because it was an assassination but...
docrock wrote:language:
- your translations from french are horrible at times, sorry to say so, but some of the dialogue and entry texts are more confusing than helpful, maybe you should try to find someone with better english to clear up this mess, i would offer my help there but i am drowning in work currently and don't have any spare time for that atm
Well, I am not very proud of the translation to tell you the truth... :oops: I will try to do as you say.
docrock wrote:sidenotes:
- some more information about new recruits available would ease things for the more unexperienced player who does not check the recruit list every scenario
- the player should not loose gold for scenarios where nothing happens
- i like the campaign a lot and it is good fun to play, some very interesting scenarios (especially the island-hopping stuff) and pretty well balanced so far, thanks for the lots of work you must have put into this and keep it up :)
-It will be done.
-Uh, I thought I corrected this problem... :cry:
-Thank you very much! It makes me very glad. :)
I think the best well-balanced is the Easy level because I only played it so far. I am working for the Normal level currently.

Well, some work to do again, isn't it ?

Thank you again, this will help me to see what's wrong in my campaign!
Last edited by domingo on June 29th, 2009, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docrock

Post by docrock »

one more note: i am currently at "Liberation of Southbay" - it needs some rebalancing. the problem is: Cyllman is underarmed and suicidal. i had several approaches on this one and it is with normal wesluck not possible to reach him in time to save him. in turn 7 he and his forces are overrun and in turn 9 he will die normally. what i did was to turn on debug in turn 7 and take control of his side and move him out of the way and then return control to ai in turn 12, which worked pretty well.
i think the basic problem is that he and his companeros do not have enough units to hold out until the player can cross the bridge to help them out and until the mermen arrive at Tan-Kum's to stop his landing-ops, also, he and his underlings should be made passive, they are much to eager to leave their castles and suicide into orc hordes.
variants i tried:
1) directly attacking the orc leader to the east full force, thereby binding him and stopping him to attack me from the southeast, result: failed, Tan-Gente got my ally anyways
2) sending a massive force of loyal troops straight south for two turns to help my ally out, result: failed, i was too slow and also got into serious trouble with the eastern orc's wolves
3) recruiting a crapload of elven scouts as cannonfodder and sending them straight south, result: failed, they were to weak to really help besides gaining one or two turns and afterwards i had too few troops to resist the eastern orc

finally i returned to variant 2 combined with the debugging mentioned, that worked out well

btw: after your explanations i now do understand the chars much better :wink:
domingo

Post by domingo »

I note. :wink:

You are already at "Liberation of Southbay" ? Well you are quick! :lol2:
docrock

Post by docrock »

well, now i am at "Farewell" and noticed a problem, i can not load savegames. i get a "Attempt to create a unit on the recall list for side 2 which does not have a recall list."
could that be due to my debugging in "Liberation ..."?
btw, mission objectives state that it is not possible to stop the orcs, well, when i saved tonight at turn 10 i was close to eliminating the south-eastern orc and Cyllman while at the same time having all three heroes near their ships and blocking the north-western orc without loosing one single unit so far ... hehe

edit: it does work with the start-of-scenario save though :hmm:

edit2: just made a quick-and-dirty go on "Farewell" again, attached the replay in the hope that it works ...

edit3: the same loading error goes for "Return to the Unknown", umph, don't think i will play through that one so easily, lol
Attachments
Farewell_replay.gz
(47.36 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
domingo

Post by domingo »

Hi,

I have resolved the problems you spoke me about (excepted translations) but I will not be able to upload the update before two months (Internet rate problem)...

Concerning your last post, well I had not a such "bug" (BfW 1.6.1), so I think it's because of your debugging. :mrgreen:
docrock wrote:btw, mission objectives state that it is not possible to stop the orcs, well, when i saved tonight at turn 10 i was close to eliminating the south-eastern orc and Cyllman while at the same time having all three heroes near their ships and blocking the north-western orc without loosing one single unit so far ... hehe
Mmh. :shock: I thought it was possible but I never tried to kill all the enemy leaders (Konrad II has to be as quick as he can). Make the most of this because I am going to give more gold to the orcs... :P

If you don't want to have the bug for the next scenarios you can replay "Liberation of Southbay" and remove some Tan Gente's pieces of gold (but you have to want to play the scenario again).

I don't make replay saves when I play Wesnoth... What can I do with your one? I've put it into saves directory and I've played it but after? :hmm:
docrock

Post by docrock »

What can I do with your one?
nothing. it's just that i was so proud of that quick playthrough without save-loading and loosing no unit that i had to post it, lol.
but I will not be able to upload the update before two months (Internet rate problem)...
development countries in the middle of europe, ha, and i thought my internet connection was bad, what comes to mind is the story about the man who thought he was badly fecked up because he had no shoes until he met a man without feet ...
so I think it's because of your debugging
crap, so i gotta wait for your fixed "Liberation of Southbay" to continue, ah well, patience is a virtue, c'est la vie.
domingo

Post by domingo »

docrock wrote:development countries in the middle of europe, ha, and i thought my internet connection was bad, what comes to mind is the story about the man who thought he was badly fecked up because he had no shoes until he met a man without feet ...
:lol2: I'm a part of the 2% of French who have not a high rate (28 kbits/s!).
ah well, patience is a virtue, c'est la vie.
:D yeah

docrock wrote:crap, so i gotta wait for your fixed "Liberation of Southbay" to continue
Note that I'm not very sure. I hadn't a such problem when I played...
domingo

Post by domingo »

Hi,

Currently When Came out the Shadows is almost completely finished: I corrected the bugs the players and I found, and the two last scenarios (a plot only and a "battle") have been added (no chronological).

Unfortunately, as I previously said, I won't be able to upload the campaign in the following days (the campaign is too much big for my Internet rate)... I will in two months, I think. :o

The Epilogue has been rewritten (a bit) to be (more again) in keeping with the wesnothian history.

I hope you'll enjoy to play WCotS.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

domingo wrote:Unfortunately, as I previously said, I won't be able to upload the campaign in the following days (the campaign is too much big for my Internet rate)... I will in two months, I think
May I suggest just sending it to another player to upload for you in the interim?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
domingo

Post by domingo »

Turuk wrote:May I suggest just sending it to another player to upload for you in the interim?
I could if I "tared" the file but will have a problem with the password... I prefer to wait two months. :D

edit: it's a real shame to have not the possibility to upload bigger files in the forum...

edit: anyway after a small calculation I realize it is not possible; a such upload would take a too much long time (my Internet rate is very, very slow)...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ah, worried of giving out your password to someone else? Well if you sent it to me, I'm certainly not going to run wild and rampant with your passphrase. ;)

As to the forum attachment size, you could always break your campaign down to upload it.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
domingo

Post by domingo »

Turuk wrote:As to the forum attachment size, you could always break your campaign down to upload it.
Well, I think I will do that... :)

Turuk wrote:Ah, worried of giving out your password to someone else? Well if you sent it to me, I'm certainly not going to run wild and rampant with your passphrase. ;)
I would trust you if I did that! :D