1.16 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xbriannova

Re: 1.6 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.0.7

Post by xbriannova »

Oh okay no problem :). Always glad to help out. Anyway, it seems that I've never thought of maps in terms of movement points and stuff. So far, I've thought of them in terms of what they meant for each side and their units, defence and aesthetics. Thanks.

Your campaign is great, how could I not pay attention to it :lol2: ? The story's great and the gameplay's pretty good too.
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Thank you kindly, sir. :D

As for the good news, revision of scenario 1 is now "complete" and, if anyone's interested, includes:

- a somewhat altered story intro,
- xbriannova's new map, with a few slight alterations as required to make it suit my gameplay wishes,
- a new character that introduces another optional challenge for Jacques (So you thought you could just sit this one out? Well, then you're missing out on half of the fun.),
- some dialogue revisions/additions and
- some new portrait art (so far the goblin trader's one, which might still change, and his newly added sidekick).

It is still missing the (generally much desired, I suppose) ooze portrait, and still only uses placeholder art for Jacques.

Just in case, I should note that I have not yet uploaded this revision, because I'm trying to avoid uploading every minor revision but will try to include as many improvements as possible in the next major update release. Notably, that means bera's new portrait art, and hopefully also pixelmind's sprite and animations for the main villain of the campaign.
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Cool, I can't wait for the next version to come out- which begs the question... Should I complete your campaign? Or should I wait it out haha :lol2:

I think I'll just complete it.

EDIT: By the way, I had to ask, is the island still rectangular in shape? It seems unnatural that way, and if its up to me, I would have tried to shape it in a different way.

The reason why I haven't is because I haven't found a way. It just seemed so ironically natural the way it is, you know what I mean? It provides a gameplay so well done and a look that can't be denied that it kinda fits into the campaign like a glove.
Current Projects:

Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

xbriannova wrote:Cool, I can't wait for the next version to come out- which begs the question... Should I complete your campaign? Or should I wait it out
It may depend on how far you got with it. What will happen in later scenarios is mostly that the shiny new art and some dialogue will be added. That, of course, will largely boost the experience, but the actual gameplay will stay the same.

The changes to scenario 1, of course, are sort of irrelevant in this regard, as one will always play it right away once the new version is downloaded.
xbriannova wrote:EDIT: By the way, I had to ask, is the island still rectangular in shape?
Yes, it's ba and large the same as your final map, somewhat trimmed around the edges and with a few very minor details changed, mostly to both mountain ranges.
Spoiler:
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Alright... It seems that all is well :-) Hope to hear more news from you soon and I can't wait to play the next version, especially when it has one of my maps in it XD not to sound cocky.
Current Projects:

jsacton

Post by jsacton »

So I downloaded 1.6.4 and am loving the campaign, though there were a few battles where i made wrong turns and i consequently had to play them over. I am completely stuck on how to defeat the enemy on a certain level, he just keeps respawning. I am guessing I have to move Kyoto somewhere but this map is huge and I am running out of turns (I played this once where I never got to the boss enemy but ran out of turns, had to start from scratch.) So can I have some help here?
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Greetings again, jsacton, and I'm very happy to hear you're enjoying the campaign!

Now, as for the Day of Reckoning (scenario 11),
Spoiler:
If you like that sort of "cryptic clues" fun, here is a series of clues to help you.
The cryptic in-game clue:
The slightly less cryptic clue:
Almost a straight answer:
A straight up answer:
I hope that helps, and that you get to enjoy the remaining scenarios!

(If you would have to restart the scenario one more time, I could only see it as justified if you took on an additional challenge - to finish the scenario in fewer than 60 turns (which was the initial ludicrous limit). By the way,
Spoiler:
In any event, I think the scenario really requires that you divide your units into several smaller groups and simultaneously tackle different parts of the map. I guess I could give the player a hint to that effect at the beginning of it.
jsacton

Post by jsacton »

LOL. Ok. wow. Here is why i was so confused.

Spoiler:
jsacton

Post by jsacton »

I FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh but some comments

Spoiler:

And a Plot inconsistency I found

Spoiler:

OK I took option number 1 and honestly hate the ending.
Spoiler:

I am about to go back and do option 2. I will edit the post then.
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Glad to see you've completed this one. There are a few more challenges left for you if you take the second ending, but nothing as drastic as that battle.

And thanks for the feedback! I'll be glad to hear your thoughts on the remaining scenarios, but let me already respond to the helpful comments from the last post. Most importantly, this:
Spoiler:
As for this:
Spoiler:
Finally, the first ending:
Spoiler:
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Wow Jacques it looks like you're becoming a celebrity. Just to let you know I'm getting my ass thrashed in the Long Night haha. It's kinda hard when only one of your units out of so many is capable of using arcane attacks but then again it's all part of the challenge right?
Current Projects:

jsacton

Post by jsacton »

Alright I figured out how to make the plot better!
Spoiler:
melinath

Post by melinath »

Um... Jacques needs to be able to choose whether to go home. What I remember about the home scenario is that it was not fun slaughtering peasants, especially since, as a player, I knew that they weren't responsible from the moment the first peasant said so.
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Thanks for all the comments!
xbriannova wrote:Wow Jacques it looks like you're becoming a celebrity. Just to let you know I'm getting my ass thrashed in the Long Night haha. It's kinda hard when only one of your units out of so many is capable of using arcane attacks but then again it's all part of the challenge right?
Yep, surviving the Long Night of Shadows is supposed to be one of those "Impossible-Yet-Somehow-Possible" tasks, and part of the answer to its riddle is already contained in this very sentence - namely, that it's primarily about surviving it rather than necessarily killing all the attacking shadowhounds. The paragraph towards the end of the first post in this thread has some of my thinking on the strategy that can possibly be used.

(And thanks for the amiable hype! :wink: )
jsacton wrote:Alright I figured out how to make the plot better!
These are interesting thoughts, jsacton, and those scenarios would make for interesting gameplay! The choice is there to stay, however,
Spoiler:
In any event, these ideas need not go to waste. If you ever decide to try coding a campaign (and it is easier than one would have thought), you already have a draft for three possible scenarios!
melinath wrote:Um... Jacques needs to be able to choose whether to go home. What I remember about the home scenario is that it was not fun slaughtering peasants, especially since, as a player, I knew that they weren't responsible from the moment the first peasant said so.
Ah, that indeed is not too much fun. I did actually want to make it ambiguous to keep things unclear.
Spoiler:
Again, many thanks to all three for your thoughts!
melinath

Post by melinath »

I have to admit that I don't remember exactly. Maybe I'm even incorrect and I didn't know it from the start. Even if that's the case, it bothers me that:
Spoiler: