Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

A Guy

Re: Campaign: The Life of a Mage

Post by A Guy »

I noticed you put [protect_unit] without a radius. Maybe you should include one?
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

just finished that scenario...i tried to protect Gilder and Li'sar with two sets of cannon fodder units recruted in the first turn, but it's rather luck that Li'sar survived
it seems i'ts not possible to foresee on what position the ai will move Li'sar, but it works to present the enemy weak or wounded units that it can attack...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
markm

Post by markm »

Li'sar is in this campaign?!?! Aiiiee, you really know how to make a campaign a 'must read', eh? I thought that was my own uniquely cunning marketing ploy! ;) :) Okay already, I'll check it out! :) :P

(Thats not meant to be a razz, dunno where PHPbb gets that idea, its actually tongue hanging out in eagerness... :))

Edit: storyline at start of scenario could really use mouse-compatibility to be able to copy/paste the text; due to lack thereof I might typo this reference to its text:

"The second son was named Dillon, and he was to assume the role of partriarch when his father passed on":

s/partriarch/patriarch/

Onward to the Town Square: Oooooh, a redhead, I need redheads for Crissy and/or Fox. But wait, the portrait shows her as blonde. Bah, artists! (Yeah I know, likely no artists yet. Lets hope you don't get a Hollywood one. I minimise details in my novels precisely because Hollywood can often not be trusted to get them right. ;) :lol:)

Another edit: weird shroud in SE (lower-right) corner, none of the units shown explain that via their current movement, someone already moved enough to clear shroud save in that area? I wonder who moved, where, and why, to achieve that specific configuration of shroud? Hmm, maybe its a hint that that area needs exploring? Intrigueing... or a trap? See next exciting turn, next bat-turn, same bat-channel... (Oops, sorry, no evidence that bats have any relevance at all, could it be I was exposed to the evil crystal cube when I was a kid? ;))

-MarkM-
Developing Between the Worlds campaign portmanteau.
Have you eaten today?
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Care to wait a few turns?
I'm just... a guy...
markm

Post by markm »

:)

Cruel... where else would a child head if told to explore? :)

Onward to (end of) 00_2_Adventure:

"Good! Who knows what will have happened to our village by now. We must make hast!"

s/hast!/haste/ ?

It is really fun running around with these little chaps instead of charging hughmongus horsemen knights and paladins around. Nice. Aaaanyway, I gotta get back to the quest, gotta run... :)

Edit: in 00_4_Regrets:
[message]
speaker=Dillon
message="Karin belonged to this village."
[/message]

Looks like that is meant to be a question, so maybe put a '?' instead of the '.'?

Nice scenario. Onward... "He finally collapsd" collapsed. Onward...

Edit again: I really like this, it is nice and relaxing compared to the strain/challenge of HttT. I suppose I'd better hope it gets much harder later so the hardcore players don't complain but this training stuff is nice.

01_First_Try.cfg: message= _ "Alright you lazy slugs! It time for the match!"

If that isn't intended to be the teacher's style of speech it could be a typo (It's time...)

Edit yet again: 02_The_Plan.cfg: message= _ "Now, don't you get cocky. In a real battle you won't facing a bunch of lousy magi!"
Again if not speech accent of the speaker maybe its a typo meant to be "you won't be facing a" etc.

-MarkM-
Developing Between the Worlds campaign portmanteau.
Have you eaten today?
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

I echo previous plaudits; but having just finished the first 3 (?) scenarios, defeating Karin et al., it was vaguely annoying to have gotten Dillon and his peasant friend up to experienced Swordsmen by careful play, only to lose all of that xp (and the hitpoints!) when he goes off to be a mage.

Oh well. I guess the strain of magical endeavour weakened him or something..
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

The_Life_Of_A_Mage/scenarios/11-2_A_Shadow_From_The_Past.cfg:52 contains _"" which is forbidden in the latest version found on WesCamp which should match what's on the server. Please fix it.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

markm wrote:I really like this, it is nice and relaxing compared to the strain/challenge of HttT. I suppose I'd better hope it gets much harder later so the hardcore players don't complain but this training stuff is nice.
i played on "easiest"...no, it indeed stays easiest even on the later levels, i used to have more than 1000 gold at the start of many of the scenarios
the overall difficulty ranking of the campaign is "intermediate", this can be "easy" i think
but, a lot of "novice" campaigns get difficult even on the easiest level on the later scenarios, just grant a lot less gold on "hard" then it should be ok ;)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

torangan wrote:The_Life_Of_A_Mage/scenarios/11-2_A_Shadow_From_The_Past.cfg:52 contains _"" which is forbidden in the latest version found on WesCamp which should match what's on the server. Please fix it.
Sorry, I've marked the string as non-translatable. Would that help?
Anonymissimus wrote:i used to have more than 1000 gold at the start of many of the scenarios
I had some complaints about giving too much gold, so I lowered it a bit.

@markm: Thanks for your spelling corrections. I've fixed them.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Mica

Post by Mica »

To be honest, I stopped playing after you escape the caves and fight that one orc loser - I just don't really feel interested in the whole "help protect the crown" and stuff, sorry.

But up until then it was very fun - I actually didn't mind going through the beginning once again!
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

SkeleRanger wrote:
torangan wrote:The_Life_Of_A_Mage/scenarios/11-2_A_Shadow_From_The_Past.cfg:52 contains _"" which is forbidden in the latest version found on WesCamp which should match what's on the server. Please fix it.
Sorry, I've marked the string as non-translatable. Would that help?
Better idea would be to enter some text in there, or just a few periods so it's not empty. (see https://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge ... vision=775)
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

So when's the next update expected?
I'm just... a guy...
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Mica wrote:To be honest, I stopped playing after you escape the caves and fight that one orc loser - I just don't really feel interested in the whole "help protect the crown" and stuff, sorry.

But up until then it was very fun - I actually didn't mind going through the beginning once again!
I guess that is kind of old. Don't worry, its only for a couple of scenarios.
AI wrote:
SkeleRanger wrote: Sorry, I've marked the string as non-translatable. Would that help?
Better idea would be to enter some text in there, or just a few periods so it's not empty. (see https://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge ... vision=775)
I left the string empty so it wouldn't use the description as the name, because its undead, it doen't have a name. But I guess I could change it to jailkeeper or something like that.
A Guy wrote:So when's the next update expected?
Hrmm...I don't know. Probably when I get this next scenario finished. I've been rather busy so I haven't had time to work on this. I get it updated as soon as possible.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

No images in the menu!!!

I think in _main.cfg

Code: Select all

data/core/images/units/human-magi/arch-mage.png
should be replaced with

units/human-magi/arch-mage.png
and

userdata/data/campaigns/The_Life_Of_A_Mage/images/portraits/dillon.png

should be replaced with

portraits/dillon.png
Although I'm using linux, so it might be different.

Same with the difficulty choosing menu
Last edited by WYRMY on September 24th, 2008, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

because "easiest" was so easy, i'm trying "hardest"...
in the 7th scenario, the catacombs, i have to fight level 2 ghost
i can't have units that can surely (worst case) survive one of their attacks, can't run away because they're faster, and also i'm not allowed to sacrifice any of my units, even those without a crown symbol that i recalled for sacrificing, to make the enemy attack them and leave the important units alone...
i have no idea what to do here
maybe the white mage from the northwestern tunnel is sacrificial ? but it's surely a bad idea to sacrifice him
also, he seems to be important for the story

anyway, after some savescumming i continue...
projects (BfW 1.12):