Count Kromire

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wendek

Re: Count Kromire

Post by Wendek »

Well Kromire is at maximum level (indeed it helps fighting the archons for instance, when you have +50% du to leadership and only -25% due to day), I have 2 Day Hunters, 2-3 Twilight Walkers, 3 Sworddancers (unfortunately at least 2 of them have the "fast" trait, so quite glass cannon), 1 Flesh Artisan, 1 Blood Manipulator, 1 Sangel (Igor) and 1 Reaver on the way to level up, I lost my Noble some levels earlier though, maybe it could have helped when fighting with level 1s. I thought it should be okay since the previous level seemed extremely easy, actually easier than most in the campaign.

My main problem are the wizards, especially the level 2 ones. They deal a VERY HIGH amount of damage, and none of my unit can fight them without losing at least 50% health. And there are something like 15 of them to slaughter anyone I'll send them. If by error Kromire is attacked by only 2 of them (because the units surrounding him died, if I wanna use the leadership he must be quite near the enemies), he will die.

I guess I'll restart the previous level and see if I can spare some gold and avoid the death of some leveled up units.
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The wizards are a pain. The best solution is to use every tactical gimmick you can to only engage them at night as much as possible (though I know that isn't always possible) and to feed them expendable units when it isn't possible to avoid them. At night they are not nearly so deadly and you definatly have the firepower in leveled up units to kill them. If I recall corectly at day the wizards will be doing something on the lines of 9-5 damage compared to the 6-5 they'll do at other times.

Kromire can actually level to level 4, though it isn't nessisary for him to have done so.

If you're still having trouble, then send me a save and I'll see what I can do with it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

I started playing this unique campaign (medium difficulty) and I'm very impressed. I just finished the 5th scenario and it was stunning (both map layout, story and dialogue). However, I didn't know my allie would turn against me. When that happened (at turn 33/38) my nearest unit was 6 turns away from his throne chamber. I beat his army to dust but couldn't reach him in time. This isn't fun. When beginning a scenario I plan my aproach depending on the objective(s) and turn limit. The map is huge, there are 4 (5) enemy AI leaders, some who "hide" in the mapcorner behind difficult terrain. It takes time to get there without to much casualties, just to find out you have to run back and don't have the time. I went back to load an old save because I didn't want to play the whole map again. That shouldn't have been necessary. I suggest increasing the turn limit after the allie turns to hostile. Otherwise excellent map, great work, looking forward to play the rest.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I just tried the campaign out again and it looks like some old language problems were never cleaned up. Please take a look at these corrections for scenarios 1-3. These are corrections of incorrect usage so it's not a matter of style. The items I listed here are definitely wrong.
Spoiler:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I have implemented the changes you suggested (except the gameplay one). Neither of them is healed because neither of them rested during that time. I also have done some proof reading in chapters further ahead and these corrections will appear after Espron updates it to 1.8

Thank you for your feedback.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Count Kromire has been updated and ported to 1.7.

It can be downloaded via the addons server or SourceForge.
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

Great campaign. Really makes me want to explore the Era of Myth factions more.

I played through on medium I think (I'm not a great player I think I'm too impatient). Most levels looked intimidating at the start, but really just took some time to get on top of.

Will have to have another go at the last level. I attempted it once and got completely slaughtered. Those lvl 2/3 with arcane damage rip up my fodder units so fast.

My first attempt at the second last level was really bad so maybe I just need to get better at timing and placing my initial engagement (don't just rush in like an idiot).
ilesoix

Post by ilesoix »

Congratulations Velensk, you made a great campaign.

And I agree, last level is very hard.

I want to make a spanish translation (I neve made one, so it will be my first time). So if you like the idea please contact me.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I am fine with having a spanish tranlation however I have no idea how the code for tranlation works. I would suggest getting in touch with Esperon as he is generally a bit more savy about these things and has the ability to update the campaign to include your patch.
ilesoix

Post by ilesoix »

Thanks, Esperon had already sent me a PM.
Seddyrocky

Post by Seddyrocky »

This has been one of my favorite campaigns, though I'm surprised that loosing Igor doesn't count as a loss (despite his silver crown). Leveling up a level 0 bloodborn to a level 4 methusalem was quite fun. I still have not managed to finish the last level (on medium difficulty), but I guess I'll get there somehow. I've tried defending/rotating units (but villages are far away from favorable terrain, and magical attacks remove that bonus anyway), full-out charge (ZoC of the sheer enemy numbers makes this hard to pull off) and a main defense force + small "skirmish" with Kromire, Igor and some thin-bloods. This has also failed. Then again, I'm not that great at this game as of yet, but this type of campaign really makes me want to improve.

Overall, great work! (Just wish I could recruit my own Blood Hulks and that Gargoyles advanced to something more resilient, like a flying tank or so. Need something to soak up the damage from those wizards!)

Edit: I went back and leveled up another Noble to Sire. 3 Methusalems (including Kromire) + 1 Sire can rotate to create new Bloodborns which somehow always soak up enemy attacks, and with the lvl 4 units leadership, deal enough damage to get killing blows which in turn lets them level up, etc. Still, a very difficult scenario, but fun!

PS: My sole Wind-something girl leveled up to 3, hiding in a village near my base and killing lots of lvl 1 vampires and humans. Those two do attack each other btw, so it's a good idea to, after the humans initial attack, pull north with your key units (see above, maybe plus Igor) with some stallers left, and then see the humans chase vampires (or get killed by their lvl 3 leader) in the south while you trip across the north to get some prophet juice!
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Wait... did I never comment here? Anyway, this was the second add-on campaign I played and I liked it a lot. I definitely like the vampires (not sure about the entire universe, but that's beside the point). Good battles, good characters, good story. I gotta admit that the final battle was way too hard for me. I know you only need to bite the priest but I did not see any way to do that without sacrificing my entire army and probably getting wiped out in the end anyway (this was on easy 1.8.5).

I must admit that I'm also surprised Igor's death doesn't count as defeat. Also, why not change dialogue a bit so as to incorporate some of the images that one user drew for you? I know you're already using the Blood Hulk, which looks fantastic, but he's also provided a sworddancer, fledging, bloodborn, and I forget what else. You should use them. For instance, it would be easy to incorporate bloodborn by having the first one you create say something. I just think it's a lot of great art that is currently not being used.

Great campaign.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Note that for Count Kromire to be compatible with EoM 5.10.0 and greater, you must replace this part of Count Kromire's _main.cfg:

Code: Select all

{~add-ons/Era_of_Myths/_main.cfg}

{EOM_TO_CAMPAIGN}
with this:

Code: Select all

{~add-ons/Era_of_Myths/campaign.cfg}
Normally, I would just make a release so that you wouldn't have to do this, but I have a lot of unfinished changes I made awhile ago, and I'd prefer to finish the work I started.

Note: I could use a co-maintainer. If you are interested, please PM me.
Haothehare

Post by Haothehare »

I can't play this campaign for some reason:

Error:

Error while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit type: EOM_Noble
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The problem you are experiencing may be from not reading the post right above yours and it may be because you do not have Era of Myths (the Ageless Era version of the vampires won't help you here).