Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue (V.0.1.4)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Devrailis Colandore

Re: Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue

Post by Devrailis Colandore »

That was a good catch. I'm actually undecided about it, but the main reason why I did so was because I couldn't really justify giving any of the units a bonus in day or night time. I am thinking of switching most of the rebel units to chaotic, but keeping the Weydian units neutral. There will be two more factions in the campaign that will have significantly greater variety in unit alignment.

The other thing is, there is no magic or inherent "goodness" or "evilness" in this universe that would make the units stronger or weaker depending on the time either. For example, all archers would be "lawful" and have a harder time at night, while an assassin would prefer to work at night, but that would be a result of pratical considerations more than anything else.

Wesnoth seems to treat the reasons for the day/night cycle a bit differently, but given the fantasy setting, Wesnoth main doesn't really need to justify it everytime either. Some units seem to be effected for practical reason while others seem to havemore fantasy/magic related justifications. Of course, I have a feeling that gameplay considerations are a major factor as well. :)

The rebel units are supposed to be weaker than the royal units in a head to head match-up. The rebels especially don't have any unit that's particularly good at tanking, while the royals have at least two that are tankable. Weydian resistances are pretty high across the board while the rebels have few resistances if any.

What the rebels have that makes up for that is much greater mobility in certain terrains, and a large set of special abilities. Skirmishers are particularly invaluable since they can slow, which is something that you can take advantage of.

That being said, I do know that the rebels are a bit disadvantaged. I've been mulling over either decreasing their costs further, which I think is impractical, or giving them either more HP or damage to their attacks. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. :)

To be honest, I had planned from the start to have the player lose their units from the first 3 scenarios. I had considered letting people keep one or two, but it just seemed like dropping them all and starting fresh was the more elegant solution. I had a feeling it would bother people but unfortunately I couldn't justify it from a storyline point of view which is why they ended up getting removed.
Devrailis Colandore

Re: Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue

I've just posted an updated version of the campaign, version 0.1.3, up on the add-on server. I haven't made many changes this time around, here is a list of what I have done so far:

- Made minor changes to some dialogue
- Added two additional scenarios, now 9 out of 14 are "complete"

I hope I can get some more feedback on the balancing and pacing of the scenarios. I should also mention that so far, the campaign has been coded for Normal Difficulty only. Please let me know if any of you find yourselves running short of gold consistently, or if you feel like you spend too much time waiting for the AI to finish their turns. I'm not 100% certain how well paced the scenarios are yet as I've only had time to give them a quick run through. Comments and suggestions on the storyline are welcome. Some more opinions on the unit balance would be nice as well.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

I probably will not be adding on any new scenarios for the next few releases. Here is a list of what I will be focussing on.

- Cleaning up the dialogue: I'm changing the script a lot. Usually, it will be due to grammar issues, tinkering with the continuity to make sure the story makes sense, and getting the feel of the dialogue right.
- Unit descriptions: I had intended on having this complete for the first release but I never got around to doing it. I'll probably be writing up unit descriptions for all of the units that I have already created for the next release.
- Balancing and Pacing adjustments: This is where I need your help the most. When you finish the campaign, please let me know what changes I may need to make to keep the feel of the gameplay more fluid. I want to avoid as much grinding as possible.
- Refine Scenarios: I might change, add, remove certain events from the scenarios depending on the feedback I get from everyone. Let me know if you think certain events seem pointless or don't make any sense. (I think they're fine but I'd like a second opinion).
- Refining Code: I'll be going over the scenario WML to fix bugs and inefficient coding, this might take me a while.
Devrailis Colandore

Re: Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue (V.0.1.4)

After nearly a month's hiatus, I've finally made enough changes for another small release.

I did not add any scenarios this time around. I've made a few changes to the dialogue in the later scenarios, mostly editing issues that slipped by the first time around, and more importantly, I've added unit descriptions to all of the Weydian units. These took me a little longer than expected but descriptions for the other units that are present in the campaign will be finished before the end of the month.

Let me know how the scenarios are in terms of balancing and pacing. I still am actively working on this campaign, so it is by no means abandoned. I haven't received any comments since the last update. For anyone who has downloaded the campaign, do let me know what you think, any suggestions are welcome!