Imperial Era Campaign - Epic of Vaniyera

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chefu

Re: Imperial Era Campaign - Epic of Vaniyera

Post by Chefu »

Thanks SkyOne for all the debugging tips :D and thanks to vladislawia for testing the changes! I really appreciate it since I am still much of a WML noob.

I have added the updated macros and other small changes you suggested SkyOne. Everything works on my computer (BfW 1.8.1, Windows Vista) except for having Faolan change sides. I originally got around that bug by simply creating a new unit named "Faolan" but now that I'm fiddling with the code I may as well try to get things to work the "right way". There is a scenario in TRoW where your opponnent (outlaw leader) switches to your side. I will dig it up and check out how they do it.

I have NOT updated the version on the addons server yet. I will try to get this bug fixed first. If it takes too long (more than a week) then I will upload a version that creates a new Faolan so that it is at least playable while I tinker with the other way.
Current maintainer of the Orbivm project (as of February 2011)
Orbivm Forums
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Oh, good! You are back.:)
Chefu wrote:There is a scenario in TRoW where your opponnent (outlaw leader) switches to your side. I will dig it up and check out how they do it.
You don't really have to refer TRoW. I have already fixed the code. It has been installed on the first attachments, "description" (BfW 1.4) --> "id" (on/after BfW 1.5).
When wladislawia played EoV with my modified files, he was probably on the previous version that is unknown for me. I tested the files, that I had touched up, on the latest version, and it worked fine.

But actually, I forgot to install a code for "hero-icon" and the [if] + [have_unit] tags for Cardrew and Finobar units on the first attachment (although it seems that they don't make an error on current BfW anymore even Cardrew and Finobar are gone already). So the part will be like this:
Spoiler:
One thing, that I have not noticed because it isn't a bug, is that some die [event]s are better to be replaced to last breath [event]s. If the dying units just say "Aaargh...", it is okay personally. But the dying units talk some on this campaign without any images. So the game (screen) scrolls to an empty hex, then talk in this case. I used to have the same thing (because I referred "A Rough Life" as one of my text books on BfW 1.4. The author(s) of A Rough Life seems to refer Turin's campaigns as text books (just a guess :wink: )).

P.S. Elvish_Hunter might have a word regarding to "die-->last breath" [event] if he takes look at this post.:wink:
Anyway, glad to help.:)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

Good to see someone updated it to the 1.8 series. I'm playing 1.9.5 mostly, but i'll gladly redownload 1.8 if that means I can play the Imperial campaigns again ;)
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Chefu

Post by Chefu »

Ok, the issue is finally fixed. I somehow had another bug in my local copy that was messing up SkyOne's fix. I've also had a pretty intense last month I haven't been able to work on Orbivm as much as I'd like to. Today I released v0.8 of EoV which should fix all bugs and should play correctly all the way through. Thanks to all who left feedback on this campaign and thanks to SkyOne for writing up that bugfix :D .
Current maintainer of the Orbivm project (as of February 2011)
Orbivm Forums
Jim Goodridge

Post by Jim Goodridge »

I tried this on 1.9.10 on a mac and have run into a problem with Faolan in Remnants of the past. He doesn't appear at all and when the turns run out, you get a message that you were victorious and the next scenario starts but without Faolan or a ghost. It makes the next scenarios really hard as I think you are supposed to have an extra couple of high powered units.

If someone has a fix, can you give me really explicit instructions as to how to go about installing it. I am a noob, an old noob, but a noob nonetheless.

Best Regards
Jim
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hey Jim,
This is a weird problem which I haven't come across myself, but I last played EoV in 1.9.9 (also on a mac)...I'll do my best to find out what the issue is and will get back to you as soon as I can.

EDIT: OK. Everything I suggested earlier is wrong, the problem is on the prior scenario. I have no idea how it worked up until now, I must have made this error somehow in the last lot of changes in a fit of madness...anyway, I've uploaded a new version to the add-on server, but the fix is very simple for those of you playing along at home.

1. Open ~/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.9/Add-ons/Epic_Of_Vaniyera/scenarios/4_Just_in_time.cfg with a text editor like textedit (I do all my campaign editing in textedit, it's not perfect, but it does the job).

2.Find this bit of code:

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=last_death
        [filter]
            id=Marsis V
        [/filter]
3. Replace the word "last_death" with "last_breath"

4. Save file and reload level 4 in-game (sorry, but you'll have to play through this level again), preferably from a save on level 3 to ensure that the scenario reloads properly. If this fixes the problem, there should be some talking and Faolan should turn red at the end of the scenario.

I haven't had a chance to check the rest of the campaign yet, but it's possible that I've done this all over the place (I meant to replace many of the die events with last_breath events, but if I stuffed up this one, there may be others...). If anything else seems not to work, check the code for that scenario and you may find yet another instance of "last_death".

Regards, wOl (wannabe-unofficial-pseudo-maintainer, Imperial Era)
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Jim Goodridge

Post by Jim Goodridge »

Thank you for the quick reply. I initially tried playing again in 1.9.9 but had the same results. Then I tried loading 1.8.6 but it just kept crashing. Then I found 1.8.4 in my downloads and set it up again. That worked after I changed the boltriders cost to 30 in the Arendian Border scenario. At last I was able to play to the end.

I looked to do your fix in 1.9.10 but the closest I could find was

[event]
name=last_breath

[message]
id=Marsis V
message= _ "Aaargh!..."
[/message]
I could not find the area you had described. (edit)

I also found
[event]
name=die
[filter]
id=Marsis V
[/filter]

Would that be the area to change?
Best Regards
Jim
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hrmm...I combined those two sections in the most recent version, and it's now working for me. If you want to play it on 1.9.10 I'd recommend just downloading the new version, it's not a large campaign so it won't use up much internet.
Thanks, wOl.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Hey, I found this campaign hard, but playing on hard (because I hope I'm better than a novice) I can't get past Retribution. My recall mage has only lv 1 mages, a herald, a thunderblade about to level up, 1 Tempest. I know its a bit slim but I got through the other scenario withou ttooo much grief. My gold is at 100, and I dont see how you could finsih the last scenario to far past minmun gold. Should I replay the earlier missions to try and get a better recall list?

What am I supposed to do to win? I figure I'm supposed to divert the forces and sneak my guy past, or try to stlal the enemy out, but I can't do either, and the enemy seems overhwelming. Any advice?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Yeah, that recall list seems pretty thin on the ground.
Last time I played this campaign it was on the highest difficulty setting, but by retribution I had 2 thunderblades and 3 stormlords. I think that level is just too hard to pull off with the forces you've got.
Personally, I think it's just too hard anyway, but just be thankful that the piece of code that summons the Lavinian's hippo reinforcements doesn't work.
For this level, resist the urge to charge forwards and overextend yourself. Use the forests, strike at night and then retreat. You should be using basically all the available turns to get the Imperator, and heal your units as much as possible, they're going to need to fight a long and protracted battle.
Good luck.