1.4 Bad Moon Rising (obsolete)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

1.4 Bad Moon Rising (obsolete)

Post by doofus-01 »

EDIT: This version is no longer maintained. Upgrade your BfW to 1.5/1.6

Edit: Version 0.1.4 was uploaded with 1.3.14, so it is on the new server. Note that the web interface seems to still use the old 1.3 server, and BfW 1.3.13 uses the old server.
-------------------------------------
I've added a new 1.3 campaign to the server. It still needs some work, but I think it's playable.

It's about some people in the north who get fed up with their wicked Prince, so they start a rebellion. Things don't work out well because one of the rebel leaders is really a daemonologist (requires extended era). You play as the other rebel leader.

I'm not an artist, so the new units and animations are frankensteined. I also ran out of steam towards the end, so the epilogue should probably be replaced with something better in a future revision.

If anyone wants to help make it better, let me know.

-doofus
Last edited by doofus-01 on February 13th, 2009, 9:22 pm, edited 28 times in total.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

The name should be improved...it just doesn't have the right feel, to me. Something more like A Fell Moon, that would be interesting.

I'll check it out.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You're right, that name is not so great. I'll revise it, maybe to what you said.

Thanks

Edit: Just sent 0.1.1 to the server. The second scenario was more annoying than challenging, but it should be better now.
tillea

new campaign - Bad Moon Rising (temp. name)

Post by tillea »

Hi,

Is there something wrong in Mines scenario?

I just defeated every enemy, took over every hut and think I explored every single corner. There is a potential opening in the North-East but nothing happens if I reach the entry with any unit. Did I missed something?

Kind regards

Andreas.
tillea

Post by tillea »

tillea wrote: Did I missed something?
I obviousely missed the slighly lighter hex where I have to move Lorenzon. This triggers a next scenario event. Unfortunately something seems to be really wrong in the next scenario because wesnoth is unable to load "Guardian" I get a

Code: Select all

error engine: SYNC: In recruit General: has checksum ... <checksum>
advances_to="Grand Marshal"
advanceto="Grand Marshal"
alignment="lawful"
Some further WML follows. I could provide the loadable savegame from Mines if needed for debugging. (Well it contains some cheating with additional units but I take the to hard scenarios as an excuse. ;-))

Kind regards

Andreas.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Lorenzon has to be the one to reach the patch of light in the northeast, not sure why I set it that way.

Try moving your leader to coordinates (20,13). If that doesn't trigger a victory, let me know because it means something is broken.

For the next update, I'll change it so that any person from side 1 can trigger the victory, and a marker will appear after the lich is defeated so this is less confusing.

Edit: The above was a reply to your first post.

I'm not sure what's wrong with Guardian, but I'll give it a look. Your savefile might be helpful.

If General and Grand Marshal units are really the problem, it may be a conflict with another campaign. I did not make a custom Loyalist_General.cfg,
tillea

Post by tillea »

doofus-01 wrote: For the next update, I'll change it so that any person from side 1 can trigger the victory, and a marker will appear after the lich is defeated so this is less confusing.
Yes, I would highly recommend this. It would be fine if the leader has to touch this marker - but it needs a notification to inform the player about this.
doofus-01 wrote: I'm not sure what's wrong with Guardian, but I'll give it a look. Your savefile might be helpful.
Attached is the last savegame that enables Lorenzo to touch the critical field and the savegames that is automatically created by wesnoth which seems to contain the problem.
Attachments
Mines_Runde_29x.gz
Last savegame before win
(80.96 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Guardian.gz
Broken savegame automatically created by wesnoth
(37.91 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've downloaded your files and will see if I can figure out what's gone wrong. The soonest I'll have an answer would be tomorrow though.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I was able to load Guardian with both of your savefiles. Standard i/o showed similar errors about checksums for General, Pikeman, etc, but that didn't prevent it from loading.

Someone posted a problem similar to yours on the third page of the 1.3.13 release announcement. I don't know what the answer is.

Is anyone else unable to load the scenario 'Guardian'?
tillea

Post by tillea »

doofus-01 wrote:I was able to load Guardian with both of your savefiles. Standard i/o showed similar errors about checksums for General, Pikeman, etc, but that didn't prevent it from loading.
That's strange. Bugs which are not reproducible are probably the most annoying ones. :-(
doofus-01 wrote: Someone posted a problem similar to yours on the third page of the 1.3.13 release announcement. I don't know what the answer is.
After testing the newly released Return_of_the_Legions I've got exactly the same error after finishing the first scenario. So my guess is that it is not a problem of the campaign code but something in Wesnoth that causes a problem in some specific cases when a new campaign begins.

Kind regards

Andreas.
tillea

Post by tillea »

Hi,

I checked bug tracking system and think this bug was reported several times as #10706, #10658 and the long explanation is given in #10633. So your campaign is most probably fine - at least according to this problem.

Kind regards Andreas.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like it's under control and might not be a problem in 1.3.14. This is the development version, so I guess this sort of thing goes with the territory.

If Guardian still won''t load, and you're stuck until the next BFW release, here is a save file for the next scenario, maybe it will load. You're not missing too much plot-wise by skipping Guardian. Note that one of the defeat conditions in the objectives window is wrong,

I'll upload a version 0.1.2 this weekend.
Attachments
Royal_Rumble.gz
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
tillea

Post by tillea »

doofus-01 wrote: If Guardian still won''t load, and you're stuck until the next BFW release, here is a save file for the next scenario, maybe it will load. You're not missing too much plot-wise by skipping Guardian. Note that one of the defeat conditions in the objectives window is wrong,
What does that mean? Does this mean that wesnoth crashes once you attack the Chaos Knight? (See savegame)
doofus-01 wrote:I'll upload a version 0.1.2 this weekend.
Great

Andreas.
Attachments
Royal_Rumble_Runde_13a.gz
Attack Chaos knight
(187.43 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

What does that mean?
Disregard the red text "Death of Duval".

I didn't know it would crash, it didn't happen to me.

I'll look at your file, but I won't be able to post any answer until tomorrow (Saturday).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I was able to finish that scenario from your savefile without crashing, and there were no helpful hints from std i/o. Maybe this is the same bug?

I just sent 0.1.2 to the server.