1.4 Bad Moon Rising (obsolete)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gnurob

Post by gnurob »

doofus-01 wrote:It appears the segmentation fault is not fixed after all. You can get around it by running wesnoth in debug mode and attacking Maskov & Scarrion with cheating/debug units (which is why I thought it was fixed). If you use a real unit, wesnoth will crash. The debug and real units can be the same type, so I doubt it has anything to do with a bad unit .cfg.
Wesnoth 1.3.13+SVN bails when I kill Duval with a regular recruit or unit added via debug.
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

In the Chase scenario nothing happens after defeating the leader and its recruits in the first keep and the guard next to the stash. No other units were found.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

In the Chase scenario nothing happens after defeating the leader and its recruits in the first keep and the guard next to the stash. No other units were found.
I made a typo, should have caught it myself before uploading. Change "Vassak" to "Varrak" at row 174 of the I_Chase.cfg file.

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=die
            [filter]
                description=Vassak
            [/filter]
Then you probably have to start that scenario over.

How did you get past Royal Rumble? Were you able to do it without removing lines from the .cfg?
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

doofus-01 wrote:How did you get past Royal Rumble? Were you able to do it without removing lines from the .cfg?
Hate to disappoint... I just skipped over:

:debug
:n
In the pit scenario I found two possible issues.

The gate at 21,48 doesn't stop units. Its not working if you meant for an event trigger to open the gate, or to attack it as a normal unit. Also, there's a little bit of an expectation to find something more substantial than a note given the gate and boxes.

The trash pile at 8,19 may be trash... or not. It looks like one of those things that should do something but doesn't.

Looking good otherwise!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't plan for it to always be the case, but for now the gate doesn't do anything. Same for the pile of trash and the boxes. The room with the boxes should have had a skeleton at 28,48 that would give you an object. Maybe it's just hard to see? It used to trigger.
tillea

Post by tillea »

gnurob wrote: Hate to disappoint... I just skipped over:
How did you dealt with "Unknown unit type 'Chaos Knight'" which I get when trying to skip in debug mode. (BTW, I get the same message if I try to start from last turn in Guardian to Royal Rumble.) I guess I could work around by patching the WML but what exactly do I have to do?

Andreas.
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

tillea wrote:How did you dealt with "Unknown unit type 'Chaos Knight'" which I get when trying to skip in debug mode.
It just worked.

On a side note. Be sure you have the updated supporting files. I get everything using a file found in the source distribution under the tools directory and use it like this:

campaigns_client.py -p 1.3.x -d "." -c /home/user/data/campaigns
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Gnurob's point about updated supporting files is probably the answer.

An update to Extended Era (x.32.0, around Jan. 5th) included changing the directory where the units are, so I had to change this campaign's _main.cfg. If you have BMR 0.1.3 and an older version of EE, you would put back the "/standard" near the bottom of _main.cfg to get

{@campaigns/Extended_Era/units/standard} 
Or update your Extended Era. In 0.1.4, I'll include a warning that it requires EE >= x.32.0

Hope that solves it.

Unrelated, but I think I've got a new version of H_Rumble that won't seg fault. I'll send it to the server in 0.1.4 sometime this weekend, along with the Vassak/Varrak typo fix and whatever else I or anyone finds. Once the campaign is no longer broken, I'll slow down the updates.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've just sent 0.1.4 to the new server. Royal Rumble should not seg fault anymore, I redesigned the event that makes Scarrion & Maskov disappear. The typo that made the next scenario impossible is also fixed. There were a few minor changes elsewhere, but those are the important ones.
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

Just an update. I played through the entire campaign the other day. Its a fun layout and very well thought out. Congrats.

A few "boss" scenarios are too heavily influenced by AI players. I let the orcs take out 90% of the chaos units in the last scenario, for example. From there I just had to mop up the stragglers. It didn't seem fitting for the end. The same is true for the final fight against the prince. If you must have AI players, it may help to re-arrange the map so that they are not primary components.

Keep up the good work. :-)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You raise a good point about too many AIs, especially in those two scenarios. I think the scenario Ruin has similar problems.

Concerning the scenario Royal Rumble: the Prince is supposed to be in charge of a large army and there have to be enough rebels to have him surrounded. The new version has Scarrion & Maskov disappear when a certain number of their fighters die, so if the scenario drags on too much, I can leave that number at 1 or 2.

Concerning the last scenario: I plan to redraw that map, possibly get rid of the undead leader, and move the elves further back so they don't engage the orcs as easily. Side 1 is a little too far from the action.

Thanks for your help in testing the campaign.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I just sent version 0.1.5 to the server. The last three real scenarios have new maps so the player is not on the sidelines of an AI vs AI battle.

There are many "moveto" events in the campaign, hopefully none of them lead to talking dogs. If you find one that does (0.1.5 or later), please let me know.

There is a new mini-scenario & epilogue at the end. The epilogue is a little clunky, I couldn't figure out how to get it right using valid WML, but it's close enough for a 0.1.x release. It'll be improved in a future version. Plot-wise, I tried to make it clear the story wasn't over and there would (eventually) be a campaign sequel, but not leave this one with a cliff-hanger.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

BTW if you want to have your campaign translateable, you may not use space in the textdomain. If your directory is Rise, then it has to be wesnoth-Rise not "wesnoth-Bad Moon Rising". You could rename both to Bad_Moon_Rising which would be best.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I have just changed it to what you said it should be. Everything is now Bad_Moon_Rising - no more Rise, no more Bad Moon Rising. Thanks.

By changing the directory & .pbl names, I appear to have made a new campaign as far as the server is concerned. So I have removed 0.1.5 and uploaded 0.1.6. I hope this doesn't cause confusion.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've sent 0.1.7 to the server. The biggest changes have to do with the Ukian faction. I'm trying to balance them and to make them not be a generic human faction.

- Ukians are now their own race.
- Runner line has level 1 leadership to make the dogs more useful.
- There is a MP era that I thought would make it easier to balance the Ukians, but it doesn't quite work; the sprites are not found. I left it in the upload anyway because it didn't appear to cause problems otherwise. I'll try to get that straightened out, but if you see what I did wrong please let me know. The relevant files (I think) are in the "Bad_Moon_Rising/eras" folder and also the bottom of "Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg".