1.4 Bad Moon Rising (obsolete)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (0.2.4 - 15 scenarios)

Post by doofus-01 »

Glad to hear it worked out. I plan to write a sequel, so there should eventually be another ~15 scenarios. It's only in the planning phase right now though, so I have no idea when it will be released. But I'll try not to leave it hanging like this for too long.

Thanks.
Exchelsia

Post by Exchelsia »

Good! I look forward to playing it!

Oh yeah, I just remembered, when I was playing the... fourth scenario, I believe, when you are preventing them from crossing the river, I would suggest making only a few points fordable, and that you have a fogged view of your whole side of the river, so you can't see if the enemy is there, but you know where you have to send units to defend. I had to start over twice because a thief sneaked through the river, so I automatically lost.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I wasn't sure if this really deserved it's own topic, so I'll ask it here:

The proloque & sequel to this campaign will involve encountering some mainline geography/people/factions etc, and I would like it to be at least somewhat coherent with the other campaigns, so I'm posting this short summary. I think it is compatible, judging from the History wiki, but if it isn't can someone please let me know?

Thanks.
----------------------
1. Summary: "Supernatural forces" (I'm still working on a real name) send armies from the north to try to stop Weldyn from launching mountains (from UtBS) to make longer days. They fail, mountains get launched.

2. Detail:

A. 1st Campaign (mini): Anti-hero awakens Supernatural forces (faction in progress), they learn of plan to launch mountains, deputize anti-hero to mobilize opposition.

B. 2nd Campaign: (Bad Moon Rising, mostly finished): Anti-hero eliminates one obstacle and gets control of an army (Ukian faction, mostly finished)

C. 3rd Campaign: Northern Alliance/Weldyn defend against mysterious invaders from the north (Ukians). Ukians figure out they are being manipulated, discipline breaks down, northern army fights itself. Player (N.A. or Loyalist) kills Supernatural Leader before it regains control of the northern army. Mountains get launched, history marches on, etc.
docrock

Re: Question [Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (0.2.4 - 15 scenarios)]

Post by docrock »

hi, been playing the current version of your campaign on bfw 1.4.1 on the default difficulty level, here a few comments and bugs:

- very nice storyline, some really big scenarios and the build-up of a really huge army, which i like all
- nice fighting, nice units (started to really like ukians after finding out how to use them), nasty surprises all the way which i like too
- the ai allies are useless as always, maybe think about letting the player play more than one side in some scenarios
- in "royal rumble" the prince and his underlings behave like suicidal lunatics, with the prince leaving his castle on turn 1 without recruiting anything and instead taking over the northern castle of his allies, leading to that general circling him on the castle and both still not recruiting anything. only when they were almost surrounded by dark troops the prince started to recruit, just to find him and the castle completely filled and encircled a few turns later, giving the dark troops such an advantage that i actually had to rescue him to be able to kill the general and him by myself, which doesn't feel right.
- in "the pit" some things are pretty strange, first of all the items (objects) to be found did not seem to do anything for my units (which didn't make that big a difference), second is that on turn 31 i managed to get to the lava place where the altar is, scarrion talks but is not visible (intended?) and tells me that he'll bring a new world, my units disappear and the orcs do the rest of turns until turn 60 where i get defeated. i don't think i was too slow, been slicing through all resistance like a hot knife through butter with the (i mentioned it) useless orcs half the map behind me and all demons destroyed. just when about to investigate the altar and trying to move a unit this happens. for the orcs: maybe it would be good to only let them recruit speedy units (wolves for example) and/or have all their units have the "quick" trait.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

docrock,

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like I messed something up in scenario "The Pit", it wasn't supposed to end like that. You're right about those unhelpful orcs, I should make them fewer and faster.

I'll also look into fixing the lunatic AI in "Royal Rumble". I probably should have given the player control of the northeastern subcommander as well.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.2.5 is on the server now. There were some fairly major changes:

- No more Chaos faction. Hopefully no references to them in the text either.

- Fixed the turn limits. Judging from stats.wesnoth.org, some scenarios didn't have enough time, some had way too much.

- Added a first draft of a prologue campaign. It's playable, but it isn't much of a strategy game yet.

- Attempted to correct issues in scenarios "Royal Rumble" and "The Pit".

- Allied Ukian sides under player control, not AI.
GofioPower

Re: 1.4 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (0.2.5 - 15 scenarios)

Post by GofioPower »

I have played your campaign last week, and so far is very entertainment.

There are some ups and downs, like in every campaign, but before comment then, I will like to complete the campaign.

I got the same problem that Docrock, on "The Pit", but in the turn 29 (with 0.2.4) I can't get to the next mission.

I updated to version 0.2.5 today, but "The Pit" mission ends like before, as Docrock explain.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

GofioPower,

I thought I'd fixed that scenario, but I guess not. I was able to beat that scenario, but maybe I'm not playing it realistically. Could you post a savefile.tgz from a couple of turns before it ends badly?

Maybe you used an autosave from 0.2.4?
GofioPower

Post by GofioPower »

Actually, I used an autosave from 0.2.4

Let me try again the scenario from the first turn or use a manual savegame.

If I get the same problem, I will post a savefile.

If works, I'll let you know it here too.

Thanks for your quick reply in any case :wink:
GofioPower

Post by GofioPower »

I tried the scenario from the beginning, but still happen the same (turn 27). The only change, from 0.2.4, is that the scenario ends completely. Before, the Orcs were still able to play alone until turn 60.

The hero said something like "this can't be good, let's pick the pace..." one or two turns before, after an earthquick sounds.

I have attached an autosave of turn 25 and a manual save of turn 24.

By the way, now the Orcs are really more helpful than before, and quicker.

Edit: Turno = Turn / Autoguardado = Autosave.
Attachments
The_Pit_Turno_24.gz
(155.46 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
The_Pit-Autoguardado25.gz
(154.57 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'll look at the saves when I get a chance. It sounds like the problem is with the design, rather than a bug. If Scarrion reaches the top of the map, you lose. If I didn't put that in the objectives, I should have and will. The dogs can slow him down.

If that scenario is impossible, you can skip it with debug :n. The only thing you'll be missing is Scarrion disappearing with a flash when you defeat him.
GofioPower

Post by GofioPower »

You MUST put that in the objectives :lol2:

With 60 turns, and being on turn 27 close to the top of the scenario, is easy to think that you will have to fight with him (and a big army) at the top or something similar...not that you actually have to catch him before he reach the top.

I'll try to slow down him, but I suppose it will be very hard.

Thanks again for your reply...and of course, for create this campaign.
GofioPower

Post by GofioPower »

Finally, I managed to beat the scenario, slowing down Scarrion and sending units ahead, to make a combo attack to defeat him.

So, isn't a bug, just need a scenario objectives more specific.

I'll keep playing to finish the campaign..thanks again to give us good entertainment.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Glad to hear it worked out, I'll clear up the objectives in the next release.
unokab

Post by unokab »

Great Campaign!

First of all the dogs are great!

I really treat them like dogs.

I have lots of them, every ukrain should have one.
I put them in every hole.
I let them take all the beating.
If they are injured I put them in the house.
If they die, I replace them.
I train them, when nobody else needs experience.
I "breed" them for traits in the old unit list.
I order them to run bersek at enojing archers.
I usually do not order them to attack, I just put them in harms way.
Oh, yes. I have them run for all the villages. Really outdoor dogs!

Very usefull with commandos.