1.4 Bad Moon Rising (obsolete)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lastjuan

Re: 1.4 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (0.4.3 ~ 20 scenarios)

Post by lastjuan »

I'm stuck up in the world map scenario. I already triggered the Rescue scenario, but I'm unable to trigger any others events. Lorezon has visited all the labeled places and nothing happens. What I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated
Attachments
Ukiah.gz
(7.62 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lastjuan,

I'll look at your file when I get home, but in the meantime:

Have you visited the forest northwest of the Rescue scenario village, due west of the starting village? There should be a castle hex in it. If walking into that region doesn't trigger the next scenario, then something is wrong.

I should also note that sometimes the random off-road attacks prevent a next-level event from triggering. It doesn't mean the event is lost, but you need to move off the hex and re-enter it. I know that can be confusing if you don't know exactly where the triggering hex is to begin with. I hope to have that fixed in the next release.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

"It's no use crying over spilt milk," the saying goes. I suppose this is true even if you spill it on your laptop.

I think I have most of the data saved, but I don't have a computer.

This project is on indefinite hold.
claudya

Post by claudya »

doofus-01 wrote:"It's no use crying over spilt milk," the saying goes. I suppose this is true even if you spill it on your laptop.

I think I have most of the data saved, but I don't have a computer.

This project is on indefinite hold.
Oh, that's sad news. :(

Good luck getting a new computer.
And if you need any help with the campaign, feel free to ask!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I was able to save all of my files, so 0.4.4 is now on the server.

The most important fix is that the random skirmishes no longer have the victory tax, so they shouldn't drain your resources anymore. There are also a couple of more scenarios on part III.

I'm not able to really test it, so there are probably mistakes galore. But it looks like everything loads and it should still be an improvement over the previous version. Old saves should still work.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.4 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (0.4.4 ~ 20 scenarios)

Post by doofus-01 »

0.4.5 is on the server.
Most significant changes:
- adjusted some unit stats.
- made the AI more cautious in certain scenarios
- finished Part III, story-wise. The "world map" parts are still under construction, but the main scenarios are written and will load. They still need balancing and play-testing though.

The jump in file-size is because of an .ogg I took from the music forum, I might need to re-think including that. But it's a nice song for the credits.

-----------------
And I noticed some big bugs in the later Part III scenarios, they'll be fixed.
schlachti

Re: 1.4 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (0.4.5 ~ 20 scenarios)

Post by schlachti »

hey i'm stuck at the underworld river i already found carghana and killed the every enemy but but belleros still says he won't let anybody back
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.4 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (0.4.5 ~ 20 scenarios)

Post by doofus-01 »

schlachti,

That is a show-stopper bug that I failed to catch before releasing 0.4.5. It's fixed in the next version, which I hope to have out later today.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use auto-saves or mid-scenario saves from that particular scenario, but the save-game from the scenario start (or any earlier saves) should still be usable.
-------------------------------------
EDIT: And 0.4.6 is now on the server. I'm fairly certain the underground river and the next two scenarios don't have any show-stoppers. I haven't yet made it through the ones after that without cheating.

Speaking of cheating, I should just point out that skipping scenarios with debug's :n option may cause problems with this campaign.
Jim Goodridge

Re: 1.4 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (0.4.6 >20 scenarios)

Post by Jim Goodridge »

Has anyone figured out how to win "the pit"? I've tried everything I could think of , used all my fastest units, used a pack of dogs with speeds of 10, looked for any type of trick that would help, and have come up at a dead end. The scenario seems good, but, you can only lose so many times. Overall I like Bad Moon Rising but if a scenario is unbeatable there is no point in playing.
Best Regards
Jim
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'd be interested to know if anyone has as well. I was almost able to beat it before I added the spearman, so I think it's possible. But I no longer have my savegame files for it, so it will be a while before I can give it an honest test.

What I did was to get dogs ahead of Scarrion, but not attack. That should slow him down enough that stronger units can catch up.

If the teleporting thing is causing the problem, it can probably be removed. It was necessary in a previous version, but might be overkill now.

Could you post a savegame or an auto-save file? A turn early on in the chase would be best, but even the last one would do. Not a replay though, those don't seem to work.

Thanks.
Jim Goodridge

Post by Jim Goodridge »

I don't think there would be much point in one of my files, I was never able to get a dog in front of Scarrion at all. He teleported away and then I was never able to get close. There ended up being 4 spearmen between Scarrion and my units at the end. How did you get the dogs in front of him? The minute any unit gets close, he teleports and must be a block and a half away?
Best Regards
Jim
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

He shouldn't teleport unless you attack him. Because he can kill the dogs with little chance of getting himself hurt, he'll sometimes go after one of them. That helps slow him down. So, get as many dogs near him as possible, and your stronger forces should have a chance to catch up. Use commandos.

If you post your save file, I could probably excise the teleporting events. Since I don't have a save file myself, I'm not 100% sure what needs to be removed.

I do know what needs to be removed from the scenario configuration file, but this will require that you start the scenario over for the change to take effect. In the file

<wherever_your_addons_are>/Bad_Moon_Rising/scenarios/1_09_Pit.cfg

remove lines 645 through 677, should start and end like this:

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=attack_end
        [filter]
        side=1
        [/filter]
        [filter_second]

{SCARRION_HOP 31-43 27 32}

I'll remove those lines in the next version.
claudya

Post by claudya »

That Pit scenario is really nasty. :twisted: Doofus-01 has turned out to have sadistic personality aspects. :P
But I love it, it's really a challenge!!
Forget what I said about the Ukian Commandos being overpowered, they are the only chance to pwn Scarrion. At least the only chance I see so far.

My only complaint is that the north edge of the map is not clearly defined. Seems to me like it ain't really the northern end that he has reached when the scenario is declared lost.
Maybe put up some visible sign like a cave exit or a road sign? Just a suggestion.
zathras

Post by zathras »

Possible bug in "Salvation" in part 3 - with 2 turns to detonation I have Raenna south of the flames with sphere - I move my remaining blue characters north of the flames and end turn. The green characters move (Raenna is out of their range) and a screen comes up with her saying "Ah, too late!" and I am defeated - with the text that there is one turn left to detonation... seems to me that the scenario quests are fulfilled...hmmmmmmm.

btw - all 3 BMR are great fun - looking forward to the bugs getting ironed out - this should be a mainline campaign real soon.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zathras,

You may have fulfilled the requirements, there were still some bugs in the later scenarios. Did you attack Ares with Raenna? It may have been unclear that that was an objective, I think the event explaining it didn't trigger like it was supposed to. It's fixed in the next version. In any case, you've basically finished the campaign, that was the last real scenario.

Thanks for the report, good to know someone made it all the way through.