Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Mist: I can explicitly remove the burner, clasher, fighter and glider from the player's recall list (assuming that's what they are in your screenshot, going by the icons).

Nova: The Blue River script's good, and I'll use most of it. However, FtF takes place well before HttT (the island of Morogor is gradually sinking into the sea, and it has sunken by that time), and there would probably be a king on the throne at that time. Also, I was thinking of having the humans pursue the drakes to keep them from reaching Morogor and angering the other tribes, in order for it to jibe with the last few scenarios, where humans have conquered much of Morogor.

Also, do you still have the layered versions of your storyline images? I found graphics for a possible level 3 version of Malakar on my hard drive, and I might swap it in, if I can get a level 2, which I'm going to request in the art forum. However, if the storyline graphics aren't layered, I have another place where the new unit graphics could fit.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Nova

Post by Nova »

Great!
However, FtF takes place well before HttT (the island of Morogor is gradually sinking into the sea, and it has sunken by that time), and there would probably be a king on the throne at that time.
Sure. I'm not terribly familiar with Wesnoth's history, so if it's a king, or a specific king, or a grand moff, it's all good.
Also, I was thinking of having the humans pursue the drakes to keep them from reaching Morogor and angering the other tribes, in order for it to jibe with the last few scenarios, where humans have conquered much of Morogor.
That's good, too. They'd certainly want to cover their backs. It could be some combination of both, again stemming from the crown's desperate need for money.
Also, do you still have the layered versions of your storyline images? I found graphics for a possible level 3 version of Malakar on my hard drive, and I might swap it in, if I can get a level 2, which I'm going to request in the art forum. However, if the storyline graphics aren't layered, I have another place where the new unit graphics could fit.
I do still have layered versions. They're huge, so I won't post them here, but I can make changes or email you the files, as you wish. I'd like to see new Malakar graphics! The worker graphic was nice.
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Flight to Freedom: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=690
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

SOUTHERN SHORE

SOUTHERN SHORE

After securing the Blue River, Malakar and Kogw boarded the pirate flagship Unforgiver, and set sail for Morogor.

Omandro had been wrong, however, and the human reinforcements were much closer that he had though.

Just as the Unforgiver cleared the coast, it was intercepted by the Royal Navy.

Jack: This is Commodore Jack of the Wesnothian Ship Luna. In the name of the King, lower your sails and prepare to be boarded.
Malakar: Never!
Kogw: Uh, Mal…?
Jack: So be it. Prepare to be sunk!

Enemy: The Luna is sinking! All hands prepare for emergency boarding!
Jack: Save the highest-ranking officers first!
Kogw: Now, while they’re distracted! Full sails south! Let’s leave Wesnoth for good!
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Interlude

Kogw: Well, if we’re to be shipmates, I think it fitting that we learn a little about each other. Now, what’s your quarrel with the bleedin’ army?

Malakar: The Humans destroyed our home, killed our people, tortured our young, and sold us in chains as cattle. There can be no forgiveness, and every man involved has rightly earned himself a dark and merciless death.

Kogw: Ah. Well, ah.

Kogw: Fair enough. As you may have noticed, I’m not too popular with the elves these days. I suppose you’re probably curious as to why.

Malakar: No.
Attachments
1-Introductions.jpg
1-Introductions.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Kogw: …

Kogw: The funny thing about elves is this:
Attachments
2-Lonely.jpg
2-Lonely.jpg (11.04 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

OPEN OCEAN

Kogw: Welcome to the Sea of Webs, boys and girls, home to the nastiest beasties you’re likely to find this side of an Undead family reunion.
Malakar: None will obstruct our passage. We will kill anything that tries to stop us.
Kogw: Good plan! Let’s round up every monster in the ocean, and a few of the larger fish, and fight them one-on-one!
Malakar: Only the ones that oppose… Do not mock me, thinskin.
Kogw: Heh-heh, I’m the one with thin skin, now? Keep the Unforgiver oriented South, men, and keep us well clear of the larger monsters!
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Landfall Intro
Attachments
Not surprisingly, the Lich-Lord was hostile, and killed the necromancer.  From his ashes, the Lich-Lord raised the race of orcs, who in turn killed the Lich-Lord.  Upon his death, the portal shut; but it opens every 400 years, releasing another Lich-Lord
Not surprisingly, the Lich-Lord was hostile, and killed the necromancer. From his ashes, the Lich-Lord raised the race of orcs, who in turn killed the Lich-Lord. Upon his death, the portal shut; but it opens every 400 years, releasing another Lich-Lord
4-Aftermath.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
Thousands of years ago, according to legend, a great wizard was exiled here. While he was here, he opened a gate to the netherworld and contacted the Lich-Lord, in an attempt to conquer the world.
Thousands of years ago, according to legend, a great wizard was exiled here. While he was here, he opened a gate to the netherworld and contacted the Lich-Lord, in an attempt to conquer the world.
3-Summoning.jpg (25.01 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
Be wary, this is not Morogor, but the Isle of Storms.
Be wary, this is not Morogor, but the Isle of Storms.
2-Kogw-Base.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
Malakar, we have sighted land!
Malakar, we have sighted land!
1-Landho.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

...into the world.
Attachments
Kogw:		If the legend is true, the portal will open again in only a few years, and Jeyvan’s successor will rise to finish his work.  This is a cursed place, haunted by a great evil.
Kogw: If the legend is true, the portal will open again in only a few years, and Jeyvan’s successor will rise to finish his work. This is a cursed place, haunted by a great evil.
6-Successor.jpg (20.12 KiB) Viewed 4211 times
The last time it opened, Lord Jeyvan was unleashed.  He created a portal to the Green Isle, our ancestral home, and used the orcs to drive my people into the sea.
The last time it opened, Lord Jeyvan was unleashed. He created a portal to the Green Isle, our ancestral home, and used the orcs to drive my people into the sea.
5-Green-Isle.jpg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Malakar: What evil?
Kogw: I cannot say. Some say it is a plague, others say it is deeper in the earth, but the most common reports describe powerful spirits, ogre-like creatures made of solid thunder who travel in flashes of lightning. Even these are supposedly only the vanguard of far worse creatures to come.
Kogw: Of course, I learned this from a drunken sailor named Bert in a lovely little hole by the name of the “Flagrant Maiden,� and he… what? Where are you all going?
Attachments
7-Wrap-Up.jpg
7-Wrap-Up.jpg (24.62 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

(Sigh). Very well, all hands prepare to anchor on the north beach. We’ll take six hours to load up all the fruit and fresh water that we can. Hopefully we can be there by tomorrow morning and be sailing again before noon.
Attachments
8-Conclusion.jpg
8-Conclusion.jpg (9.31 KiB) Viewed 4207 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

LANDFALL

Unit: I don’t trust this bridge.
Unit: Ieeeeee!

Malakar: The humans pursue us!
Kogw: Blast! There’s low wind and we’re in the island’s tide. Our best bet to is land and hope they hesitate long enough that we can ready our defense.
Malakar: There’s an old fortress on the eastern horizon. We can make our stand there.

Kogw: A spirit has attacked!
Malakar: By the Smoke of Gar-Alagar… a spirit!
It didn't attack! It just appeared!
Are you going to say that EVERY time?

Skula-Teroa: Intruders! Die, Lizardmen!
Captain: General, Sir. A small force of orcs is entrenched on the island. Permission to engage?
Jako: Denied, Captain. No one is to engage the orcs unless they prove hostile. They could be valuable allies against the Drake forces.
Skula-Teroa: And ten gold coins to whoever brings me the most Human-scalps!
Jako: (Sigh). Permission granted, Captain.

"I really failed this time..."

Slayer: RUARRAGH!
Malakar: The eastern fortress, you fool! We want to use the EMPTY one!

Malakar: They have summoned reinforcements! Burn down their ships!
Kogw: By the Eyes… it’s hopeless, Malakar! That’s a whole fleet of their finest. We must retreat!
Malakar: Hrm. So be it. Regroup farther inland!
Kogw: Forgive me, darling. I’ve never had the honor of captaining a finer ship.
Unforgiver: …
Kogw: Haaarh. You must see, I have no choice. My hands are tied.
Malakar: Let’s go!

----

Maybe the broken bridge could turn to water tiles, and then a pair of cuttlefish appear to harass the victims. It doesn't appear that the enemy units can trigger the bridge, which is too bad.
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Also, I was thinking of having the humans pursue the drakes to keep them from reaching Morogor and angering the other tribes, in order for it to jibe with the last few scenarios, where humans have conquered much of Morogor.

The more I think about that, the more I think that it works best as an unwelcome surprise. As always, it's your call, however.

Southern Shore

Since the drakes die so easily versus the enemy ships, I find myself relying heavily on my own ships. However, it makes the map more or less luck-based, as it takes place on one type of terrain between roughly equal units. The Unforgiver is still, of course, awesome.

The same weird name problem is showing up, as with the wolves earlier. The ships tend to be named nine-digit numbers. Usually ships are named after women, unless these are really nerdy sailors.

The new 1.3.1 code should allow for all kinds of custom terrain. Even a few small patches of, say, coral, would really liven things up, especially if it reintroduced a tactical element. The worst problem with the water levels is that positioning and terrain-use really falls to the wayside. Maybe sandbars that Drakes could land on and use for defense, but ships could still go over. Something like that. Or thick weeds, just for decoration.

The Open Ocean

This version is an improvement. I like the islands, the fog, the variety of monsters, and the lack of orcs. There's still not a lot to do, other than run south, but it's short and looks nice. Perhaps the map could be made narrower, to emphasize the need to run, run like the wind south. There's nothing to the west worth looking at, as far as I can tell.

Landfall

The Orcs were very interested in going west and battling the humans, when I played. This was great, and dulled the impact of all those level 2 units without making the map too easy.

The bridge collapse only triggers against good guys, and doesn't seem to do anything anymore. Killing them is too harsh, but I'd like to see guys on the bridge get dumped in the water and pestered by cuttlefish or something.

It seems odd that beings of electricity can be poisoned.

The Drake Escape

Still a challenging map. The trick, I find, is to get the elves to spend even one turn going northeast. That usually gets them mixed-up with the orcs long enough to make it past the critical turn 7.

The elves are back, and something should be made of that, story-wise. I have some thoughts, and think this may also be an opportunity to build characters. Specifically, at the mouth of the cave, the elves promise amnesty in exchange for Kogw. Malakar thinks it over good and hard, really debating it, then firmly crosses the line by admitting Kogw into the tribe and running for the caves.

I'd also like to see him seal off the entrance to buy some time.
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Any new info on Malakar graphics or new 1.3.x versions?
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Nova wrote:Any new info on Malakar graphics or new 1.3.x versions?
I'm currently incorporating the new cutscene images, and I should be ready for a release soon (unless RL intervenes).
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Nova

Post by Nova »

Underground

This map is a little more doable in 1.3.x, now that the roads aren't treated as chasms. Actually, it's surprising the difference that makes.

I don't much want to hire boats, yet I still have the option.

The secret door should have a road running through it. It's a needless chokepoint as is.

Malakar always sees the secret door - it doesn't really seem necessary to have anyone talk about it, but it should at least be the closest unit who sees it.

Approaching the dragon skeleton gives a "0 Enemy Units Sighted!" message. Weird.

I'd like to see some roads or something around the blue castle. It's frustrating how difficult it is to actually attack the Dwarf leader - he backs a square away and my units take two or even three turns to re-encircle him. Could Drake movement be increased in the castle? Maybe some kind of road-based castle?

The Eastern chokepoint is too extreme. I started fighting off dwarves there as soon as I possibly could, and only broke through with five turns left to find and kill their king (success on last turn - some luck and restarting involved). It's a long tunnel, which hurts, but it also empties out into a 3-on-1 fight. Injured dwarves simply back away to a village and return almost immediately.

Then, when I finally broke through, I had to fight the king with the units that were within the first 2/3 of the tunnel. None of the others had time to get through, because of how slow they move.

Suggestion: Add a road running through the eastern tunnel -- if someone ever manages to beat the dwarves, it's not impossible to reinforce the eastern front before attacking the king.

I don't like the thought of the statue instantly killing my units. A big part of this game is exploration, and that's a harsh penalty. Much like the bridge, before, people respond more favorably to creative and unexpected events than to creative and unexpected punishments.

That's a dang tough dragon, and there's no real reward. I suggest moving the dragon to a side wall. If he awakens and is killed, that leaves a passage open in the wall that goes to a treasure room, or a shortcut, or something neat.

Ooo - how about something that gives you the ability to recruit rebels/guerillas? A lifetime supply of sticks, perhaps. That'd come in handy, later.

Or a special unit that travels really well in caves. You get one or two, and when they're gone, they're gone. That could be nice in River of Skulls, particularly.

In short, Underground is winnable, but too many chokepoint and slow drake movement add up to make unnecessary frustration -- it's less fun than it could be.
---
Co-Author, Maintainer