Wercator Weturns! (v. 0.6.3; Web interface back)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DDR

Re: Wercator Weturns! (v. 0.6.3; Web interface back)

Post by DDR »

http://www.sellner.org/wercator/%5C%22./mapsIndex.html

The maps link, in the top bar, still does not work for me... It puts me to the 'lost?' page. :(
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

What's this %5C%22./ junk? Just take it out. http://www.sellner.org/wercator/mapsIndex.html
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Ken Oh wrote:What's this %5C%22./ junk? Just take it out. http://www.sellner.org/wercator/mapsIndex.html
Right. The question is how on earth is that being inserted in the links that DDR is seeing on the site? They look clean in Firefox 1.5 and Safari; I thought it worked in Firefox 2 as well, but I'll double-check tonight. I've checked my code -- nowhere do I add a \" (which is what %5C%22 is the URL-encoding of) to that or any link. This might be an encoding profile mismatch or something, but I'm rather baffled. I'm going to go through and validate all the HTML against the standard, in the hope that something will fix it.

DDR, do the rest of the links in the header (e.g. Main, Download, Contribute, etc.) now work? If so, I'm really baffled!
Author of Wercator
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

That's just how it's set up. You can put anything in there. http://www.sellner.org/wercator/wassup/mapsIndex.html will make all the links at the top of the page contain wassup/. If you've fixed the first link that brought you to it, the rest will follow.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Ah, you're referring to the 404 page. That's now fixed -- I was incorrectly using relative links on the 404 ("lost") page, which won't work when the incorrect URL has a subdirectory in it.

DDR, if you just go to http://www.sellner.org/wercator, do you still have problems?
Author of Wercator
DDR

Post by DDR »

:D Works great, now. Thanks.

Just tried it out. I love it! :mrgreen:
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Okay, I fixed the bug that you tweaked, DDR: it was only a problem for square wave borders with a width of exactly 10. It's also now properly trimming stains when "tear and dirty the edges" is used, and handles all the new terrain types of BfW 1.4.
Author of Wercator
DDR

Post by DDR »

Those are some rather specific triggers for the bug... my luck. :lol2:

Anyhow, good to hear you fixed up the 'tear and dirty' edges... I gotta go test it again... :D
Thanks for this map maker, I like it!

---------

Hm... is it possible to have wercator treat unknown tiles as grassland, instead of spewing an error message to you? To all intents and appearances, a map with a unknown terrain seems to just vanish, not be added to the render queue, with no error message unless you hit the "back" button on your browser a few times. :) If it is too much trouble... do not bother with it, it is a small thing...

---------

Also, I was trying to simulate a really old, heavy, wooden frame, and I got...

(Click to enlarge...)

By the way... what is the bump on the top supposed to be? :hmm:
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

What should happen with a failed render (assuming you haven't clicked away from the page you're sent to after you click 'render') is that you should be taken to a page detailing the error. I take it that's not what happened? IMO, if there's an unknown tile, it's better to obviously fail, since that gives me incentive to update the tile list, if nothing else. :-)

Also, you can view a list of maps whose renders have failed by clicking the link at the bottom of the map index page. There currently aren't any; did you reupload the problematic map (or one with the same name)?

As for drake08, Wercator did exactly what you told it to: created a wooden border 200 pixels wide, then damaged the edges of the map. The two effects aren't designed to go together (I assumed that if you were going to frame a map, you wouldn't muck up the edges). I've changed the web form to disable the edge-damaging option if the wooden frame is selected. I'll look into making them compatible, but I'm dubious about how it will look: for example, what should be showing through the torn parts of the parchment?

Since the wooden frame uses a wood texture, it's not going to look all that great once the frame gets wider than the texture; in this case, that's about 50 pixels or so, IIRC.

As for the bump, I was trying to emulate the frame of the HttT campaign map at the time I started to work on Wercator, which can be found here.
Author of Wercator
DDR

Post by DDR »

Ah... OK. I did click away from the page, so that must have been the problem.

BTW, http://www.sellner.org/wercator/getOptions.html, where I am redirected if I just hit the 'upload map' without first specifying a map name, does not have the map file name box next to it's upload map button on the top bar. Small thing... :)

BTW, could you have preview images for the frame types as well as for the parchment background?

--------------------------

Tried the error message, worked perfectly. Several times. :)

(Click to enlarge)

This was the effect I was aiming for. 'Display Case'. :)

Thanks for WWWercator. 8)
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

oh. my. garsh.

this is brilliant! I just happened to click on this link 'cause of the cool freakin' title, and here I am, face to face with the very program that I've been wishing for!

you rule.

--OSJ
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

opensourcejunkie wrote:oh. my. garsh.

this is brilliant! I just happened to click on this link 'cause of the cool freakin' title, and here I am, face to face with the very program that I've been wishing for!
I'm glad you enjoy it. :-) I'm in the process of finishing up my thesis, but I'll be back to work on Wercator come January -- there are still a number of rendering artifacts and such that need to be ironed out, and I have other plans for polishing things.
Author of Wercator
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

cool, tx! (*thinks you should do a thesis on Wercator)
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

updates for 1.6? i tried using it but it didnt recognize some of the new terrain
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

If the map format hasn't changed, that should be straightforward. Is there an up-to-date list of official terrain strings? TerrainLettersWML appears to have not been updated in over a year.

I'll be getting back to Wercator development over the summer, now that I've defended and settled in at my new job. If anyone's interested in contributing (especially new brush sets), let me know.
Author of Wercator