Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.99) for Wesnoth 1.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

claus

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.2) for Wesnoth 1.4

Post by claus »

Playing IftU 1.9.1.a with Wesnoth 1.4.0 I found 2 possible bugs with glamour:
1) If you attack with Elynia in her normal form, then change into Assault Drone the Assault Drone can attack again, giving Elynia 2 attacks in one turn.
If you attack as Assault Drone, than change back you get no extra attack.
[If a unit moves or attacks resting is not changed immediatly, but somewhere during the next side turn, which is why you can still transform Elynia. The new attack might be related to the calculation of her new movement points while transforming. Would have attached a replay of 5 turns in "The Heart" scenario, but it was corrupted (Galas was a Elvish hero and auto-recalls did not happen ...).]

2) When disabling the glamour ability, it would be good, if you remove the "description-"ability too.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

This was an excellent campaign. It has surpassed Northern Rebirth as my favorite.

The new units involved were superbly done. At first, I was sitting here thinking, "These chaos/demon units are unbeatable and I'll definitely complain." Then I did what I always do when faced with something tough, I backed up and played defensively, watching for offensive opportunities. I then noted, "HEY! they've no healers!" and then proceeded to get back into the fight. I then noted how expertly balanced the faction was and enjoyed it.

I was constantly wondering, "What will I encounter next"..and just when I thought that I'd seen every unit there was in the campaign, I'd see another new one. I also enjoyed the elven spirit and the faerie units and found them to be great help. And the Undead with leadership ability...FINALLY!.

All in all, great job.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Yeah, in the story text in the scenario "Cursed Plateau" there is a misspelling, death is misspelled in the sentence: "Although, it might appear the situation was in our favor, the harsh truth was that starting a real fight with the loyalists would be the xeath of us."

EDIT: It also seems the Ring of Regeneration that is obtained in the Cursed Plateau does not work (It does not give the regeneration ability... boo hoo... no uber Galas this round...)...
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Yeah, I DID notice some spelling and grammatical errors throughout the game, but I dont play these games much for the story anyway. If you'd like, I could go through the game again, and note these mistakes for a further tweaking and send you the revisions. My eyesight is too poor for making campaigns(I've tons of ideas, but just can't see well enough), but I can see well enough to do some writing. I majored in both History and English in college. Send me a private message if you want me to do so.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Well, if you want to fix spelling mistakes you should verify them against the SVN head revision rather than the released package. It makes things easier for me and ESR.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Shadow Master wrote:Well, if you want to fix spelling mistakes you should verify them against the SVN head revision rather than the released package. It makes things easier for me and ESR.
Then what about the all-important regeneration ring problem?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Fixed in SVN, along with other issues pointed here.

The problem with glamour is - if [unit] resting isn't a reliable and quick and elegant way of checking whether an unit has attacked or moved during a turn, then, what could it be?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Release 1.9.3 is out!

NOTE: for the time being, download it from my website. The add-ons servers are currently down for maintenance.
http://shadowm.nfshost.com/wesnoth-UMC/ ... .3.tar.bz2 (9.6 MB)

I have lately received reports that some large campaigns (including this one) cannot be downloaded from the official campaign server currently, i.e. Wesnoth crashes in middle of the download. For this reason, I encourage you to download through my website instead - for installing, you just need to uncompress the package with a compatible program (WinRar or WinZip for Windows; Ark, File Roller, XArchiver or good ole' command line utilities on GNU/Linux and other UNIX systems) that keeps/has an option to keep directory structures. The directory onto which you should decompress the package varies according to your platform:
  • Windows: <wesnoth install dir>\userdata\data\campaigns with "official" precompiled binaries
  • GNU/Linux: ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns with "official" precompiled binaries/default build options
  • MacOS X: ~/Library/Preferences/Wesnoth/data/campaigns/ with "official" precompiled binaries
  • Others: you know better than me =)
If everything went right, you should find a "Invasion_from_the_Unknown" directory there, and such directory should contain subdirs such as "images", "scenarios", and files such as "_main.cfg" or "base-loader.cfg".

Having said that, let's take a look at the news for this release:
  • Scenario 20 ("The Heart") was rewritten. The plot doesn't change, nor the objectives. Just the dialogues, map and enemies were modified, hopefully improved.
  • Some graphic improvements were made.
  • A secret, yet very hard scenario was added, and can be accessed from the alternate exit to "Innuendo", behind the glyph. And it can be activated only by "recognized ones".
  • Removed a black-hole tile in "Shadows of Time".
  • Fixed a typo bug with a special pick-up item in "Cursed Plateau" (reported by Espreon).
  • Changed the income/gold system for enemies in second scenario (suggested by zookeeper).
  • Starting with "Innuendo", Erathan's death does not cause defeat from now on. It just changes the text the player can read at the end of the campaign.
  • Fixed some flaws of the prisoners in "Innuendo" - now they get fixed traits and they won't spawn on cavewalls. A drawback is that the player should set them free by moving to hexes adjacent to the cages, instead of merely moving onto them. Not a major issue, is it?
  • Fixed the Shadow Minion unit code, so that it no longer appears to be "invisible" in the game (and it should not complain about missing images any longer).
  • Possibly fixed a bug related to Elynia's glamour and the amount of attacks left per turn when she transforms. This requires testing to confirm, and the bugfix won't apply unless you restart "Under the Sands" (scenario 20) anyway, with a start-of-scenario (NOT first turn) saved game.
Now that I'm happy with all scenarios, I still want to polish some stuff; more specifically, the boss scenarios need to be made harder, and I also want to make the boss fight arena separate "sub-scenarios".

Well, are you still reading this? Weird.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Shadow Master wrote: Fixed a typo bug with a special pick-up item in "Cursed Plateau" (reported by Espreon).
Hallelujah! Anyway it is great now that atrocious bug is fixed... BTW, I like your redoes on the Demon Zephyrs...
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.3) for Wesnoth 1.4

Post by Iris »

They didn't make it to the release though. :cry:

I made those edits 30 minutes after creating the 1.9.3 release tarball, and I was feeling too tired to create a 1.9.3a release just for the graphics. :P
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Shadow Master wrote:They didn't make it to the release though. :cry:

I made those edits 30 minutes after creating the 1.9.3 release tarball, and I was feeling too tired to create a 1.9.3a release just for the graphics. :P
I know! I always skim a new version of IFtU before playing it to see anything new...

(In a young child's voice) Hey Shadow Master... what is that "fakeshroud.png" halo used for?

EDIT: Also thespaceinvader gave you critique on them in your Artwork thread, just wanted to let you know...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Espreon wrote:(In a young child's voice) Hey Shadow Master... what is that "fakeshroud.png" halo used for?

EDIT: Also thespaceinvader gave you critique on them in your Artwork thread, just wanted to let you know...
Yes, I know very well that.

And you'll recognize fakeshroud.png when you see it in-game.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Shadow Master wrote:
Espreon wrote:(In a young child's voice) Hey Shadow Master... what is that "fakeshroud.png" halo used for?

Yes, I know very well that.

And you'll recognize fakeshroud.png when you see it in-game.
OK! I guess I'll find out! The new secret scenario seems tempting...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Almost forgot this.

I made a replay of scenario 1 (not others - they all get corrupted because the recall list isn't recognized/written to the replay file properly). Check attachment.
Attachments
IftU-1-Border_Patrol_replay.gz
Replay of 1st scenario.
(32.08 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Shadow Master wrote:Almost forgot this.

I made a replay of scenario 1 (not others - they all get corrupted because the recall list isn't recognized/written to the replay file properly). Check attachment.
Why should we look at it? Is there something special that happened in that particular game? Nonetheless, I shall playeth it...