New Scout Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

toms

New Scout Campaign

Post by toms »

I have stopped working on it almost a year ago. The WML is probalbly broken and does not work withthe current versions. So I'll rewrite it from sscratch, with some deeper improvements of scenarios, story, etc.

You can see the old forum thread here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8718

(New and IMO improved)Basic Plot:

Undeads threaten the elves on the continent. They think their best chance to defeat them is to find the ruby of fire. They send Eldromir, an elvish rider, to find it. But it is hidden somewhere in the coffers of a mighty mage.(=Lich in Temple of the Deep/Rise of Wesnoth)
During the campagin it turns out that an elvish Lord was betraying the elves, and Eldromir was getting a little suspicous, so he had to get rid of Eldromir for having time to finish his Plan. But, as the ruby seems forever lost, he gets back earlier and can hold off a tragedy of drastic measures.

Notes on the old scenarios:

prologue - I liked the idea of a prologue explaining the creation of the ruby. But the old one was rather crap, and it has to be a real good one. Probably leave it out first.

undead attack - Change of scenario location; somewhere in the outer forest, maybe. Not near the seat of Kali'an.

to Blackwater Port - I rather liked this one, I think I will carry it over as it is.

Blackwater Port - The scenario before departing with a ship. Needs a better name :P And the content has to be changed IMO.

The other ones, I don't know what I'll change or not.

I know the old campaing was not very good, consider this as a new start of the campaign. :)
Please post critics, comments and suggestions for the campaign here.
toms

Post by toms »

Here is a "demo" of the first two scenarios. The first one is a little tricky, and the second is just a dialogue level. (I know it's a little weird, that early)
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

How is this compatible with the ruby being in Haldric's possession?
toms

Post by toms »

How is this compatible with the ruby being in Haldric's possession?
Oh sorry, I forgot to say:
No story crash here, the ruby gets lost in the temple of the Mage. He later becomes a Lich, and the temple sinks into the swamp.

I hope that I get the first real playable version ready soon. :)
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

????? you mean the temple in the deep in TROW??? But there were no elves on the green isle
toms

Post by toms »

The plan was to make the elf unseen to the others(those which aren't killed).

But it always borders on story crashing.

Now I'm thinking about changing the story, so it does only play on the continent. Makes it easier, but I have no idea for a new story.
If a flexible story writer wants to help me, please pm me. :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

What about making a story about the origins of Cursed Isle(aka Isle of the damned in Wesnoth)? Remember when Haldric arrives in TROW, this is one of the tasks. Maybe you can help explain how some elves fell under a dark spell and were ultimately defeated and banished/contained to Curse Isle? Maybe some elf lord/shyde whatever experiments with dark magic, or is disgruntled and truns to darkness, maybe initially as
a "little help" in fights against the dwarves?
That would be interesting and fill in the gap/explain the origins of cursed isle/
toms

Post by toms »

Seems to be a good idea. I think I can arrange it with the stuff I've done so far.
le horla

Post by le horla »

There is a bug in the third mission "blackwater port".

I had to take the ship with the leader and one other unit ( don't remerber the name), but this other elf is nowhere.
toms

Post by toms »

le horla wrote:There is a bug in the third mission "blackwater port".

I had to take the ship with the leader and one other unit ( don't remerber the name), but this other elf is nowhere.
That's the old campaign. I'm sorry for you but this bug will never be fixed as the scenario won't exist in the new campaign.
toms

Post by toms »

Version 0.1 is uploaded.

It contains 5 playable scenarios.

If there are any problems, post 'em here.
toms

Post by toms »

Finally, I had enough time to continue work. I just uploaded version 0.1.1 with 6 scenarios on the 1.2 campaigns server.
I'm sorry but I have no 1.3.x version of the campaign, because there is no SuSE Linux binary for any development version. :|
(don't ask, I don't know how to compile it or make the binary)

Have fun and report problems here if any.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Are you sure? I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on my spare hard drive solely for the purpose of installing the development version of Wesnoth.
toms

Post by toms »

Chris NS wrote:Are you sure? I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on my spare hard drive solely for the purpose of installing the development version of Wesnoth.
I've found some packages, but I didn't manage to install anything. It seems like a new stable version is coming soon. I think I wait for it and then update my campaign for 1.4

Anyway, version 1.1.2 of the campaign has been uploaded today.
Changes:
- One(technically two) more scenarios.
- Fixed the third scenario. Now it is possible to play further than to the end of "The Green Swamp".

More is coming soon.

Another thing:

You can help me by giving feedback:
If you have played the campaign, please give short answers to the following questions:

1. What version of the campaign did you play?
2. Which scenarios did you like?
3. Which scenarios did you not like?
3b. Was there something specifically you did not like on these scenarios?
4. Was it too easy or too hard on a certain difficulty?
5. Overall rating: 1=worst, 10=best. Maybe a short statement why you gave that rating.

Thanks a lot.