Campaign: The Mage Republic

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tashi

Campaign: The Mage Republic

Post by tashi »

I am reviving The Mage Republic. The last maintainer, ILikeProgramming, has passed the torch.

The Mage Republic is about a group of Mages that live on an island. They have been constantly attacked by the undead forcing them to finally flee. They find the undead are almost everywhere they turn but they also find they are not alone as well. Finally they return to reclaim their island.

There are a total of 8 scenarios.

So far I have only fixed up the campaign CFG file so the campaign works under 1.2.x and have worked on Scenario 1 some. You can look at the old thread for this campaign below.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... e+republic
tashi

Change Log

Post by tashi »

CHANGE LOG

The Mage Republic 0.4.0
----------------------------

1. Campaign CFG
- Updated the WML so the campaign will load under 1.2.x
- Added a unit graphic to the Campaign listing
- Updated the Campaign Description and added a stock portrait of a mage
- Updated the Difficult settings with the correct unit graphic locations.

2. Scenerio 1
- Modified the map removing the snow and dessert and adding a jungle, swamp and a couple more villages.
- Modified the inital fort
- Changed the Gallon image to the stock Transport-Gallon graphic
- Changed a lot of the dialog
- Changed the text of the Scenerio intro
- Fixed the WML to display a map as part of the intro
- Replaced the map with one generated by Wercator and GIMP

3. Scenerio 2
- Updated the Gallon image to the stock transport-gallon graphic

4. Scenerio 3
- Updated the Gallon image to the stock transport-gallon graphic
Snarius

Post by Snarius »

Hey. I'm updating an old mage campaign too.

A few things:

*Objective for 1st scenario is unclear. Should anyone specific be moved to the ship?
*Anyone should trigger the ship undead, not just delter.
*in "Surrounded", enemy has 400 bucks, but only recruits 4 zombies 1st turn. This might be because "Sceleton Archer" in the recruit list should be spelled "Skeleton Archer"
*in the wml, agression should be spelled aggression.
*I don't like the way that chasms divide areas.
*I think fighting nothing but undead gets old quick. You can get creative with this. In wesvoid I replaced a team of bats and a ghoul with a team of knights and peasants. with random trolls and dwarves sprinkled around.

Cheers,
tashi

Post by tashi »

Snarius wrote:Hey. I'm updating an old mage campaign too.
That's great! Is your's on the 1.2.x add ons server?
Snarius wrote: *Objective for 1st scenario is unclear. Should anyone specific be moved to the ship?
*Anyone should trigger the ship undead, not just delter.
I will clarify the objective in the 1st scenerio. But I do like the idea that Delter triggers the ghosts since he has to be the one to get to the ship. Kinda of a surprise attack. Otherwise, a player would send several mages to clear the ghosts before Delter gets there. No threat to Delter.
Snarius wrote: *in "Surrounded", enemy has 400 bucks, but only recruits 4 zombies 1st turn. This might be because "Sceleton Archer" in the recruit list should be spelled "Skeleton Archer"
*in the wml, agression should be spelled aggression.
I will get those WML errors fixed. For #2 I need to make some map changes and need to come up with some way of regulating how many undead are recruited at one time.
Snarius wrote: *I don't like the way that chasms divide areas.
*I think fighting nothing but undead gets old quick. You can get creative with this. In wesvoid I replaced a team of bats and a ghoul with a team of knights and peasants. with random trolls and dwarves sprinkled around.
I also don't like the Chasms either that used to divide the areas on some of the scenerios. Though I do like the idea of isolating the groups. There will be map changes for several scenerios.

Regarding enemies. I plan on adding saurians and maybe nagas on some of the swamp levels. This is mainly the Mages vs. the undead. But since the Mages will be able to bring in friends, the undead should have some too. Or at least have a couple third party enemies besides the main nemesis.

Thanks, those are some great ideas.
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

1) (major issue) After Surrounded!, I had a red mage and a white mage. In the next scenario, I had no units to recall :evil: :evil: :evil:

2) there should be music

3) in Surrounded!, not only did I kill the lich by myself, but the lich recruited about 12 WC over 17 turns. (yes, I know it has been said, I just wanted to reiterate that.

4) In the first scenario, I was able to kill the ghost leader the turn that he appeared.

5) as already stated, undead only gets boring. (I'm not sure how it's done, but in one campaign, you had to fight loyalists who became undead at night. That would be an interesting idea for this)
tashi

Post by tashi »

Thanks Drake, I have my work cut out to get this to a respectable level. I am taking additional enemy types to heart.

Hopefully I have taken care of the Music issue with the next update as well as the Surrounded WC issue (0.4.1)

I need to figure out the Recall issue. There is two prestart names in Rescue Humans. Each one has different stuff. I don't think that is right.

The spectre in Last Hope, I have killed it in one turn and two turns. But I also had it kill me when the mage was by itself against him and had some bad rolls. However, I think I am going to lower the Silver Mage to a White Mage in order to give some growth room and at least make the issue withe spectre a little harder
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

Actually, since a white mage has Holy, it would be easier.

BTW, that reminds me. On the difficulty you have it Mage :arrow: White Mage :arrow: Silver mage. Red mage advances to silver mage. :roll: :wink:
tashi

Post by tashi »

The Mage Republic 0.4.1
------------------------
- updated objective in Last Hope
- Fixed recruit skeleton archer spelling in Surrounded
- Fixed label aggression spelling in Surrounded
- Map modifications to Surrounded
- Music corrected/added to Dwarven Fort, Last Hope, Surrounded, Rescue the Humans, The Wasteland, Furious Battle, The Return

Known issues
------------
* Dwarves and Elves music is not working correctly
* recalling in some scenerios (Rescue Humans) is not working correctly
Snarius

Post by Snarius »

tashi wrote:
Snarius wrote:Hey. I'm updating an old mage campaign too.
That's great! Is your's on the 1.2.x add ons server?
Wesvoid. I just published version 0.7c for 1.2.4. It's old, old wml.
tashi

Post by tashi »

The Mage Republic 0.4.2 (beta)
-----------------------
1. The Wasteland
- Replaced one of the Undead sides with a Saurian side
- Combined the unit types from the removed undead side with the remaining undead side

2. The Return
- Modified the map

3. Campaign CFG
- Changed the White Mage difficulty icon to a Red Mage
- added about tags
- Cleaned up some fields

4. Last Hope
- Changed the player to a Red Mage to give growth room and to tone down his power in the earlier episodes. This also required updating the other 7 scenerios as well.
- Updated dialog to reflect the change.
- Expanded music list
- Added { IS_HERO} tag to Delter
- File clean up

5. Surrounded
- More Map Changes
- attempting to use Recruitment_pattern to fix the over zealous WC and Archers
- file clean up

6. Rescue Humans
- Fixed and moved music tags

Known issues
------------
* Need to limit the number of oppenent units recruited at one time to 30 or something in surrounded
* music referenced in some scenerios does not exist
* In surrounded, there are 4 undead types available to recruit, only 2 are picked with the majority being Walking Corpses
garak

Post by garak »

Today i play the campaign on medium
the first scenario is pretty good working and ot is fun,but when u kill both lich u dont need to go to the ship and destroy the ghost as well.maybe u should change that .the dialogue with the ghost is good .i think.
the second scenario is quit hard,but i suceed .i take the lich out at daytime :D .i think the only oppurtunity to survive against all the undeads.By the way when should the ship appear?And maybe some vilages will be nice!
the third scenario i can blitz the undead lich in round 3 ,maybe it is better to let him in the castle.U can alsorecruit HI and in the later scenarios all loyal units that is strange.
the fourth is also quit interesting and I had a lot of gold from the scenario before :D .the teleportation village is quit weird and i can not see the sense from this.the only difficulty i had was to avoid that the knights can make suicide attacks as they appear.I ask me why they are coming i dont need them.
the next the dialogue between the elves and the dwarves is not clear.Why the mages going with the dwarves and why notan d where are the mages now ?The map is awful to move only two hexes with your units sucks!tha same with the wasteland (is this the name?)in the swamp only one oe two hexes.and the lich killed the saurian leader in round 5 or 6!!? i had 2400 gold maybe too much .isnt it?
but anyway i am sure you will do a good job thanks a lot
tashi

Change Log 1.4.2c

Post by tashi »

Here is the rest of the list for 1.4.2

1.4.2c
-------

1. Wasteland
- - added {IS_HERO} tag to Delter

2. The Return
- added {IS_HERO} tag to Delter

3. Surrounded
- With an aggressive attack style, do not need to limit undead
- Removed reference to unknown background graphic in intro.
- small dialog changes

4. Rescue Humans
- Recall worked correctly (BfW 1.2.5)
- Dialog changes

5. Furious Battle
- small Map Changes
- Added {IS_HERO} tag to Delter

Known issues
------------
* Surrounded only recruiting WC and Skeleton Archers (4 types available)
* Rescue Humans needs to be rebalanced. It is possible to kill lich in 2-4 turns on Easy
* Dwarves and Elves has Konrad III entering the picture as an Elf. First, why is he here and second why is he an elf?
palloco

Post by palloco »

In the hardest level only first 2 levels offer a bit of challenge. The others are very easy.
tashi

Post by tashi »

Well it is now at 0.5.0 I made tons of changes, so many that I forgot to record them all.

Big ones: There is one small new scenario, elvish prison. The last scenario The Return is accessible now. The game had ended at The Wasteland. Tons of dialog added/edited and Delter's Journal entries were added to most scenarios. Heltor now actually shows up at the beginning of episodes. Wasteland was given a major makeover. etc etc etc

What's left?

Dwarves still are not ready for prime time and are not working properly. Whole point of the little added scenario is to provide a place to rescue the three brothers. That is not finished and the dwarf in Dwarves and Elves does not respond correctly.

Some more dialog needs to be done.

Some more cosmetic changes

Need to do some better balancing. There is a serious lack of it right now.

Directions:
I am thinking of a branch after surrounded based on death of the liche that allows the player to descend into the Pit.

I am going to start migrating this to 1.3.x series. I don't know if I will take care of the above problems first or after wards.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

tashi wrote:The Mage Republic 0.4.2 (beta)
Known issues
------------
* Need to limit the number of oppenent units recruited at one time to 30 or something in surrounded
* In surrounded, there are 4 undead types available to recruit, only 2 are picked with the majority being Walking Corpses
Let me reply to some of these.

*I think that's the scenario with the large keep. Maybe some of the keep hexes should be changed to a terrain type which can't be recruited from.
*the old music is outdated. Either way, I think all of the scenarios had the same music
*dunno why recall doesn't work. Maybe I disabled it on purpose
*try changing the ai's recruitment patter ([ai] tag)