The Dark Hordes rise from the dead....again

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noitakuningas

Re: The Dark Hordes rise from the dead....again

Post by Noitakuningas »

I have an idea for why Gwiti would become a lich.

He is ill, and has been dying for years of a disease. After gaining the knowledge of how to become an immortal lich, he becomes one to avoid wasting away. So essentially he has brain tumor or some stuff :I

As for the class names.. Dark Acolyte, Necromancer, Deathmaster. Then after becoming a lich.. Lich, Ancient Lich, Dread Lich, Methuselah. If I recall correctly, demiliches don't exist in Wesnoth because liches always need a skull. Ancient Liches begin to morph their bodies into more suitable forms by adding limbs and becoming all kinds of abominations. There is a thread about it in art forum.
You are a Ghost: you drain the life energy from other people to survive and are hated/feared by regular people.
Saurian Skirmisher 80 %
Elvish Fighter 75%
Dark Adept 75%
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Noitakuningas wrote:I have an idea for why Gwiti would become a lich.

He is ill, and has been dying for years of a disease. After gaining the knowledge of how to become an immortal lich, he becomes one to avoid wasting away. So essentially he has brain tumor or some stuff :I
No.
As for the class names.. Dark Acolyte, Necromancer, Deathmaster. Then after becoming a lich.. Lich, Ancient Lich, Dread Lich, Methuselah. If I recall correctly, demiliches don't exist in Wesnoth because liches always need a skull. Ancient Liches begin to morph their bodies into more suitable forms by adding limbs and becoming all kinds of abominations. There is a thread about it in art forum.
Wesnoth is not D&D. Demilich in this case, means someone who is already undead and is now starting to decompose.
Noitakuningas

Post by Noitakuningas »

AI wrote:
Wesnoth is not D&D. Demilich in this case, means someone who is already undead and is now starting to decompose.

That doesn't make any sense. That'd mean that ALL undead are essentially demi-somethings since they decompose. Besides, wouldn't a lich specifically use his magic to prevent his form from wasting away?
You are a Ghost: you drain the life energy from other people to survive and are hated/feared by regular people.
Saurian Skirmisher 80 %
Elvish Fighter 75%
Dark Adept 75%
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

That doesn't make any sense. That'd mean that ALL undead are essentially demi-somethings since they decompose. Besides, wouldn't a lich specifically use his magic to prevent his form from wasting away?
1. I'm guessing demiliches (demi is French for half for those who don't know) are the ones who still have their vital organs intact and decomposing.

2. Liches command death and decay, not magic skin cream or anything.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Noitakuningas

Post by Noitakuningas »

Reepurr wrote: 1. I'm guessing demiliches (demi is French for half for those who don't know) are the ones who still have their vital organs intact and decomposing.
Then why is the demilich set as third level lich in the original post? Wouldn't a demilich be the weakest lich imaginable by that logic? This baffles me.
2. Liches command death and decay, not magic skin cream or anything.
Considering that liches are practically immortal and, as you said, masters of death and decay, you'd think they know how to prevent their bodies from turning into dust. If they can fuse their forms with those of others to become hulking beasts, they probably know how to stop time from affecting their bodies.
Saurian Skirmisher 80 %
Elvish Fighter 75%
Dark Adept 75%
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Gwiti and Nati are special cases. They don't ascend to lichdom in the usual way for the same reason they are more powerful than ordinary adepts and necromancers. It's also why they have glowing blue eyes.

As for cosmetic stuff: take a good look at Gwiti's portrait progression.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Noitakuningas wrote:He is ill, and has been dying for years of a disease. After gaining the knowledge of how to become an immortal lich, he becomes one to avoid wasting away. So essentially he has brain tumor or some stuff :I

This sounds pretty similar to Descent into Darkness. I think a better idea would be that he just becomes a lich in his quest for power, since that's what he seems to be doing anyway.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The Dark Hordes rise once more!

Version 0.7.0 is now on the 1.9 add-on server. It can also be found on sourceforge and on the web interface

The campaign is now 11 scenarios long and numerous translations have finally been updated. Scenario 11 isn't quite finished yet though and scenario 10 hasn't had a lot of playtesting yet, so any comments on part 2 (part 1 is the first 9 scenarios) are very welcome.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Played through all the scenarios. Didn't start 11 yet, 10 works fine.
I'm glad to see that The Dark Hordes is back in action :)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Passer2010

Post by Passer2010 »

I’ve finished Return to the Northlands and I am glad that the most famous undead campaign is back. However, I just feel something strong about the a ghoul.
When the first time Gwiti Ha'atel summoned a ghoul, he said,"Crelanu certainly knew some interesting magic." It let me feel that summoning a ghoul was not easy and very secret. However, I think summoning ghoul should be very easy and common since even Malin Keshar could summon it when he was very young. I guess you did it because you wanted to bring ghouls back to the recruit list. I think maybe you should ask the original author why he didn’t allow Gwiti Ha'atel summon ghouls or maybe you can allow Gwiti Ha'atel summon it early as the other undead creatures.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Passer2010 wrote:However, I think summoning ghoul should be very easy and common since even Malin Keshar could summon it when he was very young.
Only from observing the existing ghoul carcasses in the swamp did Malin learn to conjure Ghouls.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The reasons are partially historical, but there are good in-universe explanations as well:
-Ghouls aren't actually true undead. They're constructed from living beings, which is why they have positive arcane resistance. The reason they're (only) used by necromancers is simply because the process is as taboo as (ordinary) necromancy.
-The Ha'atel brothers didn't learn necromancy the ordinary way, which is apprenticeship to another necromancer, so they didn't get the standard teachings.
-Crelanu knew pretty much everything known by any human mage living (or undead) at the time. He wrote *all* of that down into his book.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I'm working on translating this campaign into Irish (ga). Do you want me to send you what I've done so far (i.e. the .po file)?
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

To get the translations back to wescamp, you should send it to torangan [1] or the Irish translation manager [2]. You can attach it here to get into TDH faster, but you should still send it in the proper way too, so other people can also get the updated version.

[1] david@torangan.de
[2] tree_rings@rocketmail.com
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I kind of AM the Irish translation maintainer. That's me shown there at #2. So I guess I'll send it to torangan then.

EDIT: Sent.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!