List of abandoned campaigns?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tashi

Post by tashi »

well if the files can't be found then there is no real point in trying to resurrect them from the grave.
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

tashi wrote:well if the files can't be found then there is no real point in trying to resurrect them from the grave.
I agree. Some of them are on the 1.2 server last I checked, but several of them are not.

Could we start trying to assemble the missing campaign files? Surely someone has a copy sitting around on a hard drive somewhere... If no one is capable of finding them then we should remove it from the list, since there is no way of feasibly recovering them.

Ideally we would create a thread with the complete list with all relevant files, which we could then direct new campaign makers to if they wanted to contribute.
Snarius

Post by Snarius »

Wesvoid is recovered: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 8&start=45
This is not the 0.7 release, there have been a few maintenance changes, and it's still very broken.

I think this topic deserves a new wiki page and some webspace. Maybe a BZR server too.
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

Wow, this thread really got hit hard by the forum reset.

Note that I have the backup and will be posting it by the end of tonight. However, I have to move out of my current location in two and a half hours, so that will be my primary focus...

Alternatively, tashi has the backup as well, if he gets to it before I do.
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

Here are the reposts of Page 2. More to come...
tashi wrote:I agree with the Wiki. Heck overhaul the one that is there.

Is there a way to get the word out there that you are looking for older campaigns, etc. Just in case someone out there that is not reading this thread can respond to?
tashi wrote:I did searches for The North Wind. I found the thread for it but as for files, it only mentions that they were uploaded to the 1.0.x server.

aelius was the developer/maintainer but the last post to the thread was 2005.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... north+wind
tashi wrote:ARCHIVE.ORG has an old (2005) copy of the 1.0.x server page

http://web.archive.org/web/2005-re_/htt ... /list.html

The North Wind is on there as well as a few others.
Snarius wrote:Some or many of those files are corrupt. Wesvoid was, for me at least.
tashi wrote:Not all of the files on Archive.org were able to be downloaded. I downloaded many of them but have not checked to see if they are corrupted.

The North Wind was not corrupted. If you go to the The North Wind thread. I have uploaded the archive plus an updated campaign file.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6745

Here are a few of the ones that are not currently on the 1.2.x listing.

Bigbattle.tgz
A_Seed_of_Evil.tgz
Dark_Elves.tgz
Eliador.tgz
Forest_Of_Fear.tgz
Forgotten_Legacy.tgz
Gryphon_Tale.tgz
Mage_Republic.tgz
Mermens_Plight.tgz
Orcish_Incursion.tgz
Path_of_Summoners_MP_era.tgz
Restoration.tgz
Scout.tgz
Subterranian_MP_era.tgz
The_North_Wind.tgz
Wild_Elves.tgz
WizardMagus wrote:Snarius, can you run your program to figure out the differences between the 1.0.x server and the 1.2.x server? Once we have that figured out, we should have a relatively complete list that goes relatively far back.

Once we have the list, we can go through each file on the two servers and see if they are still working or if they are corrupted. If the files are corrupted we will need to try getting in contact with the last known author and ask for the most recent version they have. Additionally, we need to find out if anyone is currently working on bringing them up to speed, or whether they are free. This would just be reading through the forum posts, maybe messaging some people to figure out their progress, etc.

As soon as we have all the names and files, then I think we should create a new post (or wiki?) that will have a complete list, and then all of the files attached in separate posts below. We could just update each post with the current maintainer(s) and a progress update, etc.

Question: Is anyone interested in bringing the eras/mappacks/etc. back up to date? Personally I am only interested in the campaigns, but I wanted to get a group consensus. I am mostly asking because it would save a lot of time and greatly shrink the list...
tashi wrote:Here is some of what I have figured out so far

Not corrupted

A_Seed_of_Evil.tgz
The_North_Wind.tgz
BigBattle.tgz (1 Scenerio)
Dark_Elves.tgz (Era)
Eliador.tgz
Forest_Of_Fear.tgz (deleted, currently on MP list)
Forgotten_Legacy.tgz
Gryphon_Tale.tgz
Halloween.tgz (silly scenerio)
Orcish_Incursion.tgz
Path_of_Summoners_MP_era.tgz (Era)
Restoration.tgz
Scout.tgz
Subterranian_MP_era.tgz
Wild_Elves.tgz (Era)

Possible/partrial Corrupted

Mage_Republic.tgz (unsure what this is)
Mermens_Plight.tgz (some messed up graphics)
Noyga wrote:
tashi wrote:Possible/partrial Corrupted

Mage_Republic.tgz (unsure what this is)
Mermens_Plight.tgz (some messed up graphics)
Those two were campaigns : 1 mage campaign, 1 mermen camapign (very incomplete)
Snarius wrote:
WizardMagus wrote:Snarius, can you run your program to figure out the differences between the 1.0.x server and the 1.2.x server? Once we have that figured out, we should have a relatively complete list that goes relatively far back.
That's what I did. I compared the most recent archive.org backup to the current 1.2 page. As I understand it the admins started removing all the broken add-ons some time after the most recent backup. That means what you have right now is the best that my perl script will produce.
WizardMagus wrote:
Snarius wrote: That's what I did. I compared the most recent archive.org backup to the current 1.2 page. As I understand it the admins started removing all the broken add-ons some time after the most recent backup. That means what you have right now is the best that my perl script will produce.

Ah, I thought you were looking at 1.2.x to the current server... could we do that as well? I don't want to let anything slip through the cracks here.
Snarius wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, there's only one current server with a web interface, and that's the 1.2.x server (here). The 1.3.x server isn't worth perusing because many maintained campaigns don't work on the development branch, such as Legend of Wesmere.
tashi wrote:While we are figuring things out, we will need to come up with some way to record what we find. We shouldn't (possibly can't) use the campaign server until a campaign is updated and a maintainer is assigned.

Perhaps we should update the old Wiki page. I could try to work on it myself. But unless we can store files there, that doesn't take care of the old tgz campaign files.

Thoughts?
tashi

More Backed up posts

Post by tashi »

WizardMagus wrote:
If that is the case, then Turin's list IS the complete list.

Tashi, would you mind reposting his list, but marking down which campaigns you have already been able to download, which ones you can't, and which ones are corrupt? Then we can split up the remainder, as well as contact individual authors to see if they have a working copy...

Once we get this list finalized with all of the files included, we can figure out who (if anyone) is working on them...
Thrawn wrote: wow, nice initiative. Keep up the good work!
Mythological wrote: turin wrote:
I don't know how many will be on the 1.2 server. Most, if not there, will be on the 1.0 server, if it still exists.

The 1.0 server still exists. It is on campaigns.wesnoth.org:15002 . I accidentally stumbled upon it while I was blindly checking the ports of the campaign server searching for files of "The Dark hordes". I installed the old Wesnoth 1.0.2 and I downloaded practically everything from it ( except the things already updated and uploaded on the 1.2 campaign server and some totally useless stuff ). Furthermore, most of the campaigns work on 1.0.2. Of course, they will not work on 1.2 nor on 1.3 because of obsolete WML and changed binary paths. If you want to connect to it, start wesnoth, click "get add-ons" and type campaigns.wesnoth.org:15002 in the next window that has the adress. But beware - doing this will probably change your default port adress, so next time you want to connect to the default campaign server you will have to use campaigns.wesnoth.org:15004 for wesnoth 1.2 and campaigns.wesnoth.org:15003 for wesnoth 1.3

Some campaigns that are not (but probably should be) on Turin's list

(A) Gryphon's tale
Elf War II : Revenge
Elves and Wose
Generic Campaign
Heiress to the Throne
Survival ( the campaign, not the scenario with the same name )
The Northern Expedition
Forest of Fear is a multiplayer scenario made by EP, not a campaign

Ideally, I would suggest making a sticky thread and attach all the abandoned campaigns in it one by one, at the same time offering them to anyone interested for their completion/maintenance. But most of them are bigger than the max attachment size so they will have to be put in in parts, and since there are a lot of them, they will take a lot of space.And is uploading files of this type in the Wiki possible at all ?

WizardMagus wrote:
Mythological wrote:
Edited : A Seed Of Evil is also a good , but abandoned campaign that needs someone to finish it. Trying to complete both of them at the same time might be too much for me, though, so if someone wants to revive old campaigns, it would be a good one to start with.

I have been looking to contribute to Wesnoth, especially to improve the overall writing and content of the user-made campaigns. Originally I wanted to do my own, but it seems like updating an older campaign would give me some good experience and also give something back with a little smaller commitment.

If I am going to maintain a campaign, I would want to have full rights to change things as needed. Is this generally acceptable? If the campaign is truly abandoned, the original author does not have control over it?

If these things are the case, then could someone upload A Seed of Evil so I can take a look at it?

Wizzard Magus : just in case you don't already have it, here is the A Seed Of Evil I downloaded from the old 1.0 server
tashi wrote: Just how do we start a Sticky post? Is that an option when we create one or do we need assistance from a moderator?

I will make a list combining what I have and Turin's List. I suppose I should find version numbers so we can compare against the 1.0.x server Mythological found. We want the latest.
tashi wrote: I have an old version of the Dark Hordes where when gwiti goes into a village a he gets a vampire bat and his brother becomes a wraith for you after you kill him, but it stops after brother against brother so i will put this up if anyone wants it as the newer version is not like this ?

Also i have loads of campaigns that are no longer around these include :

Elf War
Collect the Source
Forgotten Legacy ( Saurian Campaign )
Deaspair and Decay
Civil War
No Need For Heroes
Illayin the Illusionist
The Dragon Slayer
Thiefs Guild
Elves and Wose

Does anyone want them?
tashi

Post by tashi »

Ken Oh wrote:
The latest version of Despair and Decay can be found in the forum. Let me just add that it's not abandoned, only on extended hiatus just like most of my projects. Wink
WizardMagus wrote: Elvish Vanquisher wrote:
I have an old version of the Dark Hordes where when gwiti goes into a village a he gets a vampire bat and his brother becomes a wraith for you after you kill him, but it stops after brother against brother so i will put this up if anyone wants it as the newer version is not like this ?

Elf War
Collect the Source
Deaspair and Decay
Civil War
No Need For Heroes
Illayin the Illusionist
The Dragon Slayer
Thiefs Guild
Elves and Wose

Does anyone want them?

Isn't the Dark Hordes still being maintained? Perhaps I am mistaken, but I could have sworn I remembered seeing it updated somewhat recently. I would rather not step on anyone's toes, especially if it has been taken in a different artistic direction since then.

Where is that list of campaigns from? Are those all pre-1.0.x? More recent, but never uploaded? Otherwise, there is a good chance we already have them on the various campaign servers.

Feel free to send me anything you want, if you want me to hold onto it. PM me and I can give you an e-mail address to send me files.
tashi wrote: Elvish Vanquisher wrote:

Elf War
Collect the Source
Deaspair and Decay
Civil War
No Need For Heroes
Illayin the Illusionist
The Dragon Slayer
Thiefs Guild
Elves and Wose

Does anyone want them?

I know I do not have a copy of Elf War or Elves and Wose yet. So I would say yes for at least those two. Will let you know about the others as I work through the lists.

EDIT:
Ok, we also need Illayin the Illusionist as well. We don't have Thief's Guild, The Dragon Slayer, No Need for Heros, Civil War and Collect the Source.
WizardMagus wrote: A couple of questions:

1) Are we getting these files off of the website, or off of the Wesnoth server? If the files on the website are corrupt/not-downloadable, perhaps doing it through the server would work? (Someone who knows more about the infrastructure of Wesnoth - do they come from the same source?)

2) Are we reasonably sure these are the latest available versions? It might be worth dropping a line to the last known holder and seeing if we could get an updated copy.
vonHalenbach wrote: WizardMagus wrote:

Isn't the Dark Hordes still being maintained? Perhaps I am mistaken, but I could have sworn I remembered seeing it updated somewhat recently. I would rather not step on anyone's toes, especially if it has been taken in a different artistic direction since then.

Yeah. I have revived it from the land of the dead, made it to work with BfW 1.2, uploaded it to the campaign-server and gave Mythological the key, because he was interested in maintaining it. If you have suggestions to make this campaign better, send them to Mythological.

Elvish Vanquisher wrote:

I have an old version of the Dark Hordes where when Gwiti goes into a village and he gets a vampire bat and his brother becomes a wraith for you after you kill him, but it stops after brother against brother so i will put this up if anyone wants it as the newer version is not like this ?

This may be the last version, where PJR worked on.
tashi wrote: Forest of Fear is in Wesnoth's current MP Maps group.
Wesvoid has a current maintainer now.

Sorry if you have trouble reading this. I can't figure out how to get it to show columns. It eats all the white space and doesn't take HTML

Name, Version , Files? , Notes
(A) Gryphon's tale, 0.5.1 (BFW 0.9.3, yes, old maintainer Thorin N. Tatge
Elf War II : Revenge, 0.4 , yes,
Elves and Wose, 0.8.0 , no , old maintainer White Wizard
Heiress to the Throne
(gender reversed HTTT), 1.0 , no , old maintainer Rusty
Survival
(the campaign, not the scenario with the same name),
0.5b(BFW1.0), yes , old maintainer Casual User
The Northern Expedition, no ,
3 Tests of an Undead Man, v1.0.0 , no , old maintainer Nikita
A New Threat, 0.4.2a , yes , old maintainer Assasin&Nikita
A Seed of Evil, 0.6-nonlinear , yes , old maintainer Disto
Elf War, v. 2.1 , no , old maintainer Mkgego
Glory, 0.2.6 , yes , old maintainer JNisse
Holidays, 0.3 , Yes ,
Ilayin the Illusionist, 1.-1.4 , no , old maintainer Elvish
Pillager with help from
Invisible Philosopher
Invasion of Eliador, 1.0.5 , yes , old maintainer Genosuke
Random_Campaign, 0.2.1 , yes , old maintainer ebo,
patched by zookeeper
Restoration, 0.5 , yes , old maintainer Taz
Scout, 0.1.5 , yes , old maint toms
The Forgotten Legacy, 0.1.4 , yes , old Maint Db0
The Heist, 1.0.1 , yes , old Maint Genosuke
The Mage Republic, 0.3.3 , yes , old maint Nikita & Peter
The North Wind, 0.0.1 , yes , Old Maint Aelius
Unrest in Elfland, 1.2.0 , no , old maintainer Elvish Pillager
with help from Invisible
Philosopher
An Orcish Incursion, 1.0.1, yes, old maintainer Josh Parson,
David Philippi
WizardMagus wrote: Here is a cleaned-up version for easier viewing:

Have files:

Elf War II: Revenge v0.4 (???)
Forgotten Legacy, the v0.1.4 (Db0)
Glory v0.2.6 (JNisse)
Gryphon's Tale, a v0.5.1 (Thorin N. Tatge)
Heist, the v1.0.1 (Genosuke)
Holidays v0.3 (???)
Invasion of Eliador v1.0.5 (Genosuke)
Mage Republic, the v0.3.3 (Nikita & Peter)
New Threat, a v0.4.2a (Assassin & Nikita)
North Wind, the v0.0.1 (Aelius)
Orcish Incursion, an v1.0.1 (Josh Parson, David Philippi)
Random Campaign v0.2.1 (ebo --> zookeeper)
Restoration v0.5 (Taz)
Scout v0.1.5 (toms)
Seed of Evil, a v0.6 (Disto)
Survival (campaign) v0.5b (Casual User)

No files:

3 Tests of an Undead Man v1.0.0 (Nikita)
Elf War v2.1 (Mkgego)**
Elves and Wose v0.8.0 (White Wizard)
Heiress to the Throne v1.0 (Rusty)
Ilayin the Illusionist v1.1.4 (Elvish Pillager, Invisible Philosopher)**
Northern Expedition v??? (???)
Unrest in Elfland v1.2.0 (Elvish Pillager, Invisible Philosopher)

Claimed:

Wesvoid (by Snarius)

** = Vanquisher has files

Additionally, Vanquisher mentioned several campaigns that he has, which are not on our list (why not?):

Civil War
Collect the Source
Deaspair and Decay (allegedly on hold by Ken Oh)
The Dragon Slayer
No Need For Heroes
Thiefs Guild
WizardMagus wrote: Here are what I think are the next steps:

1) Is our list complete? Does anyone know of any more campaigns or another place to look? (Why does Vanquisher have a bunch of campaigns we don't? This is important, since we don't want to let things slip through the cracks if possible.)

2) Do we have the latest available versions? I assume we're getting most of these from the old campaign server, but is that necessarily the latest version?

3) Are we positive they are abandoned? Have we checked their threads to make sure no one is currently working on it?

I think that once we have the answer to these three questions, we should create the thread mentioned earlier. It would have the list up top, with current status, and then a series of posts below for each campaign containing the latest files as well as periodic status updates, etc. Then we can begin Project Revival in earnest. Wink
Tashi wrote: WizardMagus wrote:
Here are what I think are the next steps:

1) Is our list complete? Does anyone know of any more campaigns or another place to look? (Why does Vanquisher have a bunch of campaigns we don't? This is important, since we don't want to let things slip through the cracks if possible.)

2) Do we have the latest available versions? I assume we're getting most of these from the old campaign server, but is that necessarily the latest version?

3) Are we positive they are abandoned? Have we checked their threads to make sure no one is currently working on it?

I think that once we have the answer to these three questions, we should create the thread mentioned earlier. It would have the list up top, with current status, and then a series of posts below for each campaign containing the latest files as well as periodic status updates, etc. Then we can begin Project Revival in earnest. Wink

My files are from the archive.org archive. I have not checked the 1.0.x server that Mythological mentioned earlier. So that needs to be done.

Then searches on the Campaigns can be done in this forum to identify the threads if any still exist.

I have a message from Aelius who is not doing anything with The North Wind and is willing to pass the torch.
tashi wrote: You can connect your 1.2.4 Wesnoth to the old 1.0.x server with the add-on button. Just type :15002 after the server name when it pops up. Someone may want to go through these. I am just concentrating on our current list but there are others.

I have already found files for 2 of the missing campaigns and trying to get the third but the server keeps timing out.

Files Found

Elf War v2.1 (Mkgego)
BlackRece wrote: I have read this thread and I have a big interest in the fruits produced by this venture/project.

I would like to see if I can lend my services as a campaign designer. I have a few ideas that I have started putting together. I'm ready to start maintaining a campaign to improve myself.

The question is, what do I do now?!

Do I sit and wait patiently for the Campaign list?
Do I post my own work for someone to take control of? or even to get comments of how the campaign should progress?

Feels like everyone has a task to do but me! I wanna participate!!
tashi wrote: What we are doing here is finding old campaigns that no one is working on any more. Dusting them off and seeing if someone ones to take them on. You are welcome to take a look at them and become the maintainer of one of them.

They are going to come with up to three issues.

1. Broken
2. needs updating (WML, Graphics, etc)
3. Not finished

While there are some complete ones that are not broken, almost all of these will need to be updated so #2 applies to all of them.
More to come later
tashi

The Mage Republic

Post by tashi »

This campaign was left to die by it's creator ILikeProgramming since it didn't go the way he planned. I am going to try and pick it up.

EDIT:

I don't like the subject line. The message list makes it hard to read.

The campaign I am talking about is the Mage Republic.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Go ahead. I look forward to seeing what you can do with my campaign.
genosuke

Post by genosuke »

vonHalenbach wrote:Seems like it is abandoned. At least for a year or so. I would like to add the campaign "Saving Elensefar" to this list. I have thought about picking it up and maintaining it, but it is too old WML for me to lift to WML 1.2
I have the campaign here on my harddisc if someone is interested. Version 1.0.5 was the last one.

EDIT: Sorry. I meant "wesnoth-Eliador". I probably should not post anything after 11PM.
I have a newer version of Eliador that should work with Wesnoth 1.2.4. I'll test it this weekend, and if it works, I'll upload it to the campaign server.
tashi

Post by tashi »

ILikeProgramming wrote:Go ahead. I look forward to seeing what you can do with my campaign.
Thanks, so far I have updated the campaign config file to work on 1.2.x, some graphics and Scenario 1
ebo

Random_Campaign

Post by ebo »

If anyone wants to do something with Random_Campaign they are welcome to it. I have no intentions of doing any more with it.
tashi

Post by tashi »

Thanks Ebo, we will mark it as available.
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

tashi wrote:Working off the last list posted (no new stuff) I looked at the 1.0.x that is still up and running and updated the list.

Current Version
Gryphon's Tale, a v0.5.1 (Thorin N. Tatg)
Elf War II: Revenge v0.4 (???)
Glory v0.2.6 (JNisse)
Holidays v0.3 (???)
Forgotten Legacy, the v0.1.4 (Db0)
Heist, the v1.0.1 (Genosuke)
Invasion of Eliador v1.0.5 (Genosuke)
Mage Republic, the v0.3.3 (Nikita & Peter)
New Threat, a v0.4.2a (Assassin & Nikita)
North Wind, the v0.0.1 (Aelius)
Orcish Incursion, an v1.0.1 (Josh Parson, David Philippi)
Random Campaign v0.2.1 (ebo --> zookeeper)
Seed of Evil, a v0.6 (Disto)
Survival (campaign) v0.5b (Casual User)

Updated
Scout v0.1.7 (toms)

Files Found
Elf War v2.1 (Mkgego)
Ilayin the Illusionist v1.1.4 (Elvish Pillager, Invisible Philosopher)**
Unrest in Elfland v1.2.0 (Elvish Pillager, Invisible Philosopher)

Have files but don't know if current
Restoration v0.5 (Taz)

Can't Download:

No files.
Northern Expedition v??? (???)
Civil War
Collect the Source
Deaspair and Decay (allegedly on hold by Ken Oh)
The Dragon Slayer
No Need For Heroes
Thiefs Guild
Noyga wrote:
tashi wrote:Forest of Fear is in Wesnoth's current MP Maps group.
It is not just the map (that already was manline when the scenario was created was created).
It's a MP survival scenario where you play a (stronger than usual) assassin that cannot recruit, and you have to defeat all 4 or 5 other sides.
It was made by Elvish Pillager.
WizardMagus wrote:Okay, I am beginning the next phase with our current list. I am going through the old forum threads, trying to ascertain the status of the campaign, and contacting the relevant people. Here is the first batch:

Gryphon's Tale - Ringcaat is the apparent owner, last heard from October 29, 2006. It seems like he uploaded v0.6.0 on July 27, 2006, for Wesnoth v1.1.7... I PMed him to see what the status is.

Elf War I and II - Last post by Mkgego was on Jan 08, 2006. Seems like another forumer named De [censored] Hans was working on it, but his last post was Mar 22, 2006. Looks pretty abandoned. Messaged both of them.

Glory - Could not find a forum thread. Messaged JNisse

Holidays - "Halloween" created by Dacyn, then combined by Turin with "Cedric's Easter Eggs" to create Holidays. Apparently it was maintained by Turin and updated by HaJo - http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 1&start=15 has v0.3.1, possibly the latest. PMed Turin about it.

Forgotten Legacy - db0 posted on Dec 12, 2006 claiming that it was not abandoned and that he was moving to another country and had no computer or internet connection (how did he post on the forums?). PMed asking about the status.

Heist - Last heard from genosuke in Dec. 2005. PMed just in case.

Invasion of Eliador - Last heard from genosuke in Aug. 2005. PMed again.

Mage Republic - Last heard from ILikeProgramming in Sept. 2005. I know I still see him posting on the forums, so he might be able to help. PMed.

New Threat - Difficult to tell. ILikeProgramming created it, then it looks like Assassin and Ryorin were working on it. When asked in February, Ryorin apparently did not know if it were abandoned. PMed Ryorin to ask about a latest version.

North Wind - Tashi, you said you are in contact with Aelius. Please make sure that we have the latest version. This campaign does seem interesting (I might even consider taking it on myself soon if no one else does in the meantime).

I will post more of them later, as well as anything I hear back from the various creators.
tashi wrote:
WizardMagus wrote:Forgotten Legacy - db0 posted on Dec 12, 2006 claiming that it was not abandoned and that he was moving to another country and had no computer or internet connection (how did he post on the forums?). PMed asking about the status.
If db0 decides to let it go, I maybe interested in working on this one. I like the story line idea.
WizardMagus wrote:Mage Republic - Last heard from ILikeProgramming in Sept. 2005. I know I still see him posting on the forums, so he might be able to help. PMed.
This is another one that looks to be self contained, with limited scope. Perhaps a good starter and may be interesting to play with. Don't know for sure, have not been able to get the campaign.cfg file to work
WizardMagus wrote:North Wind - Tashi, you said you are in contact with Aelius. Please make sure that we have the latest version. This campaign does seem interesting (I might even consider taking it on myself soon if no one else does in the meantime).
I sent the PM. I mentioned that you may be interested in looking at it and asked if there were any notes or other things fleshed out beyond the version on the server.
garak wrote:a few month ago i play invasion of Eliador,I think it is complete.maybe needs only an update for 1.2.4.or 1.3.3.
tashi wrote:I was finally successful in downloading the following two campaigns.

db0 wrote:
WizardMagus wrote:Forgotten Legacy - db0 posted on Dec 12, 2006 claiming that it was not abandoned and that he was moving to another country and had no computer or internet connection (how did he post on the forums?). PMed asking about the status.
Internet Cafe
tashi wrote:If db0 decides to let it go, I maybe interested in working on this one. I like the story line idea.
Hey, I'm here, just seriously out of time
I did move to another country, then I moved again to a different country and now I'm settled but between work, language lessons and real life not much of my time remains.
However I do not want to give up the campaign since I still have a story that I want to tell and as funny as it sounds after all this time I am planning to get back to it eventually. I would do it right now if I had the time to learn the changes in the code since the last time I worked on it and the energy to update the campaign accordingly.

If someone is willing to help me finish this I would really appreciate. What I really need is someone who can design the code while I tell the story (and exlains what needs to happen in events and stuff) this will probably spike my own interest again to work on it I guess.
Obviously this is not the best of offers and I understand if nobody takes me up on it. In any case, I will whip myself to work on this eventually.

As always, I reply ASAP to PMs. I'm still alive!. Life, is beautiful!
Mythological wrote:db0 : fair enough - you could post the story you want to be put into your campaign in the appropriate thread and perhaps someone will agree to code it - for example, I intend to finish The Dark Hordes accordingly to the original creator's plans

Good work, Wizzard Magus and tashi

PMing the original authors is a good idea and you should do that for every campaign you think it might be abandoned, but I think that they should be given some time (7 days ?) to answer, as not everyone logs in to his Wesnoth forum account every day. If there is no response for that time, we can presume that the campaign is abandoned and put it on the official list. If someone wants to keep on it's work, even if he/she hasn't worked on it for some time - we have to respect that. After the waiting time is over, I will start the sticky thread and we'll put the abandoned campaigns in it - don't worry about it.
Mkgego wrote:I´am sorry to tell that the last Version I had from my both campaigns (Elf War I-II) were posted a long time ago in the server...

And yeah, i stopped working on them because :

1. No time
2. World of Warcraft camoe out (---> No time xD)
3. Realy hadn´t a clue how to finish the Elf War II
4. Pc crashed ([censored] virus) lost everything

BtW Elf War I was totally finished...

With all the changes Wesnoth had i´am pretty sure that it doesn´t work anymore...

But it is completed at 100%
WizardMagus wrote:Heard back from Mkgego, he does not even have the data for the Elf War campaigns anymore. The version we have is the version we will get, unless De [censored] Hans comes through for us. Either way it looks very abandoned...

db0 - Fair enough, I say! The fact that you showed up to the thread and explained your situation is enough for me. I think that posting the outline of your story (possibly some dialogue as well if you want to be that involved) would be extremely helpful to the new programmer. My proposal is that I keep your campaign on the list, but with the note that you are still around and want creative input. Sound good?

Mythological - I am in the process of PMing all of the authors, so that will take some time. I am fine with the one week wait period. (Plus I doubt these campaigns will get picked up immediately anyway, so they will have even more time to respond if necessary.)

As for creating the thread, I think that tashi or I should do it, so that we are able to make edits as necessary. We don't plan on necessarily just posting a list and some files, but to do some "active" maintainance. That is, we would coordinate with interested parties, help distribute files, ensure that they don't get reabandoned (and if they do, to add it back to the list), etc. It is easier to make frequent updates to the thread if we created it, so that we don't have to ask a mod or someone else to make the edits.
WizardMagus wrote:
Mkgego wrote:I´am sorry to tell that the last Version I had from my both campaigns (Elf War I-II) were posted a long time ago in the server...

And yeah, i stopped working on them because :

1. No time
2. World of Warcraft camoe out (---> No time xD)
3. Realy hadn´t a clue how to finish the Elf War II
4. Pc crashed ([censored] virus) lost everything

BtW Elf War I was totally finished...

With all the changes Wesnoth had i´am pretty sure that it doesn´t work anymore...

But it is completed at 100%
Thanks for the update! The fact that Elf War was finished is good, that means it only has to be updated with new WML, etc. It should not take long to find a maintainer.

Since you don't know how to finish Elf War II, do you mind if someone else continues the story?
ILikeProgramming wrote:I would like to comment in this thread since several of my campaigns are being discussed. (I sign myself as "Nikita" on the server)

3 Tests - As far as i remember, it had only 1 scenario and was far from being done. I lost the passphrase and all the files, and I don't want to work on it anyway. I wouldn't call it an abandoned campaign, just one that I posted on the server too early and then did not have time to work on.

A New Threat - It's an OK campaign, but I thinks it lacks scenario variety. The reason I haven't worked on it is because all of the other people who created it are are no longer here.
I have a version of the campaign tagged "0.5.2" No idea if it's more recent or not.

Mage Republic: The first campaign I wrote. So, it didn't work out that well. I let it die with the server swipes.
WizardMagus wrote:
ILikeProgramming wrote:I would like to comment in this thread since several of my campaigns are being discussed. (I sign myself as "Nikita" on the server)

3 Tests - As far as i remember, it had only 1 scenario and was far from being done. I lost the passphrase and all the files, and I don't want to work on it anyway. I wouldn't call it an abandoned campaign, just one that I posted on the server too early and then did not have time to work on.

A New Threat - It's an OK campaign, but I thinks it lacks scenario variety. The reason I haven't worked on it is because all of the other people who created it are are no longer here.
I have a version of the campaign tagged "0.5.2" No idea if it's more recent or not.

Mage Republic: The first campaign I wrote. So, it didn't work out that well. I let it die with the server swipes.
So does this mean that you are allowing someone else to maintain them? If this is the case, please send us the 0.5.2 version of A New Threat since that appears to be a later version than the one we currently have. Thanks!
WizardMagus wrote:Batch number two!

Orcish Incursion - Honestly, it looks like allefant is currently maintaining it. Should it even be on the list? Just in case, I PMed allefant asking about the status, to see if we were in error

Random Campaign - There did not appear to be a main thread for it in the last few years. PMed zookeeper, since our notes say he was the last known author.

Seed of Evil - Disto asked for a maintainer for this campaign in a thread, last post March 2006, so it is clearly abandoned. PMed Disto asking for a latest version, if applicable.

Survival (campaign) - Looks abandoned since Feb 2006. According to the thread, we have the latest version. PMed Casual User regardless to check on status.

Scout - Seems like a v0.1.8 was released last, in June 2006, but toms later was asking people if they had 0.1.7... there were some serious errors in the latest version, apparently. Either way, seems abandoned. I PMed just to see if he managed to fix the problem or had a newer version.

3 Tests of an Undead Man - Heard from ILikeProgramming in thread.

Ilayin the Illusionist - Pillager released his last version in May 2006. He is still active in the forums so he should be able to help us. I PMed him.

Unrest in Elfland - Same situation as above, except nothing since Feb 2005.

Restoration - There was a version 0.6 produced in August 2006, but it seems Taz could not upload it. Supposedly this was going to be a 1.1.x compatible version. I have PMed him.
tashi wrote:
ILikeProgramming wrote:3 Tests - As far as i remember, it had only 1 scenario and was far from being done. I lost the passphrase and all the files, and I don't want to work on it anyway. I wouldn't call it an abandoned campaign, just one that I posted on the server too early and then did not have time to work on.
I am sorry to say, after looking at it and playing the one scenario. I would say let it go unless someone expresses a definite interest in it.
ILikeProgramming wrote:A New Threat - It's an OK campaign, but I thinks it lacks scenario variety. The reason I haven't worked on it is because all of the other people who created it are are no longer here.
What I thought was cool about this one was that it has a complete Era built into it called the Dark Elves.
ILikeProgramming wrote:Mage Republic: The first campaign I wrote. So, it didn't work out that well. I let it die with the server swipes.
This one may be salvageable if someone would be willing to expand it's scope.
tashi wrote:Here is a online spreadsheet with some notes and stuff about the campaigns.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... MUnKsBovBw
WizardMagus wrote:Heard back from turin. He claims he was never maintaining Holidays, he just uploaded it in his name for some reason. (Because he combined the two original scenarios into one campaign?) He is looking for a more recent version, but doubts there is one, so for now we are assuming we are up to date. Anyone is free to claim Holidays.
Mythological wrote:It was long time ago, but I remember Turin not being an author of Holidays - The Halloween scenario was made by Dacyn, while the Easter Eggs was made by Cedric - Turin just put them together and uploaded on the server for them.

If Mkgego would agree, I would like to maintain Elf Wars ( make it 1.2 and 1.3 compatible and upload it on the add-on server and try to make a MP version of it that can be played online )

I offered to start the thread with the abandoned campaigns because I have the permission to make stickies while you don't - but if you don't want my help, that is fine with me
WizardMagus wrote:Heard back from toms, he does not seem interested in maintaining the campaign, so we are free to do so. Trying to get the latest version from him currently...
Mythological wrote:I offered to start the thread with the abandoned campaigns because I have the permission to make stickies while you don't - but if you don't want my help, that is fine with me
Hahaha. My point was that I figured you wouldn't want to get bogged down in the little details, which is what Tashi and I were going to do. We would need to be the posters, in order to edit these posts later as campaigns are claimed and updated.

Are you saying that unless you START the thread it can never be stickied? That seems a little silly. I guess you can always make one post, sticky the thread, and then we just put the list and the files after that.
Casual User wrote:
WizardMagus wrote:Survival (campaign) - Looks abandoned since Feb 2006. According to the thread, we have the latest version. PMed Casual User regardless to check on status.
I've decided to answer here directly:

Survival is officially abandoned (should have made it clearer, I guess).

Version 0.5b is the most current one.

I'd be glad if someone decided to pick up where I left.

FWIW, I had received some pretty positive feedback on the campaign.

Good luck to you all!
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

Sorry for all of the delays - the revival project has not been abandoned! :wink: Tashi and I have been having internet difficulties recently. Now that my connection is working again, I will resume work upon the project.