Children of Dragons

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

It's only on the 1.2 server as I haven't got a copy of 1.3 yet.
This signature intentionally left blank.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

It's been a while, but 0.6.1 is up (Wesnoth 1.2 only as above). Changes in this version:

* Kahn's leadership when Chancellor works correctly (thanks bignall)
* Units (hopefully) shouldn't be able to move on top of another unit in Sea Journey (thanks Bjartmarr)
* Updated French translation
* Added Swedish translation
* More balancing adjustments

I still don't have a lot of time to spend on it right at the moment, so it's probably not as well tested as I would like. As always all feedback, criticism, flaming etc. is welcome. :)

Mark
gabe

Post by gabe »

Nice campaign
noticed two things

in 05_Dark_Forest the move_to event to end the game needs "first_time_only" set to "no" as I went to the edge got the dialog that need to kill undead and then after killing them went back to the edge and nothing happens

while looking at your WML I noticed you set "first_time_only" to "yes" in many other places which is not needed as yes is the default behavior

in 07_Bandits there is a spelling error that effects gameplay

Code: Select all

type="Ancient Wose"
		description="Tumabulindrum"
versus

Code: Select all

name=die
		[filter]
			description=Tumbulindrum
		[/filter]
		[message]
			description=Tumbulindrum
the die event version has the second vowel set to "u" instead of "a"
this makes the event not work
cut and paste works the best for descriptions of long names
to easy to forget or fat finger

except for that the game is fun
its nice to play with drakes sometimes
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

gabe wrote:in 05_Dark_Forest the move_to event to end the game needs "first_time_only" set to "no" as I went to the edge got the dialog that need to kill undead and then after killing them went back to the edge and nothing happens
Good point. :) Thanks.
gabe wrote:while looking at your WML I noticed you set "first_time_only" to "yes" in many other places which is not needed as yes is the default behavior
Not too worried about that since it isn't going to break anything, but I'll try and keep it in mind.
gabe wrote:in 07_Bandits there is a spelling error that effects gameplay
Ah, well spotted. :) Thanks again.

Mark
flabort

Post by flabort »

Hmmmm.... if it's the version that holds me back from playing it.... and i'm not even sure which version i have! all i know is that it was the stable of the two most recent.... :? and i asume it will be a while until you have it on more servers? oh whel.

edit: oh, i have wesnoth 1.2.7
Why build a bridge over a river, when you can stay at home and play?
flabort

Post by flabort »

GOt it!!!!! it was one i passed many ttimes, but i had thought it was flight to freedom!!! lol, i was stupid!!! :lol:
Why build a bridge over a river, when you can stay at home and play?
rockis

Post by rockis »

is making a campaign fun/.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Glad you worked it out, flabort. :)

rockis - yes, making a campaign is fun, but it's also frustrating at times, and certainly time-consuming. A good place to start is by picking up an abandoned campaign - where someone else has done most of the hard work for you. ;)

Mark
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Just uploaded 0.6.2 - contains fixes for the 2 bugs that gabe found (thanks again).

Also contains update to Italian translation, and added Swedish and Chinese (Simplified) translations. :)
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Replying to myself again.

Mostly just to bump the thread :oops: but also to say I now have a copy of Wesnoth 1.3, so if I can manage to not get overly distracted playing all the new campaigns, I'll hopefully get a chance to go through CoD and update it for 1.3 soon.

If I don't update it in the next week or so it won't get done for a while though, as RL will take over. We'll see how we go.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Children of Dragons is now officially available for 1.3.x :D

Bumped the version number up to 0.7 to reflect the change.

I'm also thinking about making some changes to the campaign, so would appreciate some feedback on the following:

* I'm considering dropping or replacing "Leaving the Mountains" - the main reason I did it in the first place was to learn more WML, and it seems to be the one scenario that people don't like much. Any suggestions as to what I could replace it with? Or should I just cut it out altogether?

* I'm planning some changes to "Sea Journey" - you may notice I've added a couple of villages, though they don't move up with the units at this stage. I'm thinking of adding an island or 2 too, just to break up the water a bit. Going to be a bit of a pain to code though because every hex has to be moved separately. :(

* If anyone knows who did the Dutch, French, Swedish or Chinese translation, please let me know - I'd like to be able to give due credit to those who have contributed.

I think that's about it. Enjoy, and make sure you let me know what you think!
orcish_orc

Post by orcish_orc »

Hello! I would like to volunteer to help this campaign.

As I see it, there are a few areas needing work:

1) The maps aren't so polished, when I heard "drake campaign" I immediately thought of the chance to put great maps into it.

2) Dialog has some minor errors, needs *some* editing.

3) I think the level 1 units should not be the standard burner, glider, fighter and clashers. Maybe get different units with different names and art.

4) Some scenarios seem rather short...

But it's still a fun campaign.

As for "Leaving the mountains", if I recall the description says that the drakes saw lots of nice forest, grasslands etc, how come I only see mountains...?
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

orcish_orc wrote:Hello! I would like to volunteer to help this campaign.

As I see it, there are a few areas needing work:

1) The maps aren't so polished, when I heard "drake campaign" I immediately thought of the chance to put great maps into it.
Yeah, maps aren't my strongest point. I've been thinking about trying to redo some of them again, but I'm more than happy to accept help. :D

Do you have any examples of maps you've done? Or just have a play with some of the maps from CoD if you like. :)
orcish_orc wrote:2) Dialog has some minor errors, needs *some* editing.
I found one myself the other day but by the time I had a chance to fix it I can't find it again. :oops: By all means, let me know of any you find.
orcish_orc wrote:3) I think the level 1 units should not be the standard burner, glider, fighter and clashers. Maybe get different units with different names and art.
Well, getting art for custom units is always hard, and my artistic skills are almost non-existent. I spent way too many hours on Kahn's line, and that was based on a sprite already created by neoriceisgood.

That said, I don't think I would want to replace the standard units. Maybe add one or two new ones if anyone has any good ideas though (and someone is willing to do the artwork).
orcish_orc wrote:4) Some scenarios seem rather short...
Can you expand on that a little? E.g. which scenarios, and can you suggest how to extend them?
orcish_orc wrote:But it's still a fun campaign.
Thanks. :)
orcish_orc wrote:As for "Leaving the mountains", if I recall the description says that the drakes saw lots of nice forest, grasslands etc, how come I only see mountains...?
Yeah, that too. ;) The more I think about it the more I think it would be best to just cut it out.
orcish_orc

Post by orcish_orc »

1) Maps: I think I'll try with the first scenario map, it's the easiest =D. Will be done later.

3) Art: Ah...lack of artist...I thought there would be *some* drake sprites floating around. What about the drake lord, chancellor sprites etc? (I don't play mp drakes so I don't know if they're from there) IMO they look too similar to each other.

4) I'll post a scenario-by-scenario review later.

Leaving the mountains: I think it's a good scenario, but not well developed, why not let the player recruit the dragons and fight their way through either dwarves (mountain) / elves (forest) or something (because I got this uneasy feeling that only two drakes were leaving the mountains)? Actually, why don't I do a map for it, too...

Now I'm trying to install wesnoth again, just switched to ubuntu.
ClimbingEast

Post by ClimbingEast »

Dark Forest: Increase the map length by at least 25-30 turns. It is my strong opinion that this map is not completable otherwise, in a way which leaves the player hope of finishing the campaign, should they manage to acheive victory.

Scenario played on medium difficulty, v1.2.8 BfWesnoth.

**Re Edit: Managed to finish this with a semi-decent force at the end. Amusing, but still rediculously difficult in my opinion, especially considering the map that follows this lol.
Last edited by ClimbingEast on February 23rd, 2008, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.