Children of Dragons

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Children of Dragons

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Imperios wrote:You could add castle tiles, at least- and mark them so they would be counted as plain/grassland/whatever.
The only way to do it will be to make a new terrain, as we don't have a grass overlay for castles in core. But yes, changing the border as wooden castle and the central part of the ship as wooden floor is definitely a nice idea. :)
Imperios wrote:* Make a Level 3 Drake mage, I would like if he will have illuminate or something.
I'd like to, but I'm not an artist at all. :( If you're aware of any sprite for L3 Drake Magi, however, I'll be glad to add it. Or do you think that Illuminates is enough to differentiate the units?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

I still can't beat showdown. I tried restarting it, becaue apparently that worked for someone, but no matter what, I always find the lich, get the dialogue, and then can't get the amulet to appear, no matter where I go (I've checked the campaign and moved a drake to every single one of the spaces indicated for the amulet). I'm using the latest version of Wesnoth.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:I'm using the latest version of Wesnoth.
I just tested on trunk, r51239 compiled yesterday, and moving Freon at 18,7 (after sighting the lich), or another Drake at 19,7 (this is what I tested) makes the amulet appearing at 18,5. So, it works for me.
It may be a bug already fixed in trunk, but can you kindly send me a savegame, just to be sure?
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

I'll give it a final shot, just in case I accidentally read the wrong coordinates, but otherwise, yeah, sure.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi sorry if I'm not the first to make this question. Maybe I've miss something, but I can't find the talisman. Please help !
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

ydcl wrote:Maybe I've miss something, but I can't find the talisman. Please help !
Ehm... I posted two possible coordinates exactly two posts above... :hmm:
Elvish_Hunter wrote:moving Freon at 18,7 (after sighting the lich), or another Drake at 19,7 (this is what I tested) makes the amulet appearing at 18,5
Anyway, I'm available for suggestions on how to make more evident where the player should move, without making too obvious finding the amulet.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Thanks
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I've fixed the transition bug after 09_Sea_Journey.cfg, see https://gna.org/bugs/?18828. You need to fix your scenario now, what you're doing there is not quite legal.
First, you are executing [endlevel] twice which is now forbidden, and second, you are calling [endlevel] from a victory/defeat event. That's something that I should forbid as well I guess. The bug was caused by that the first endlevel set linger_mode to yes, the second one to no, but when linger mode cleanup code was reached it got skipped since the engine thought we're not in linger mode. But at next scenario start the engine remembered linger mode and skipped to it.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Anonymissimus wrote:First, you are executing [endlevel] twice which is now forbidden
Fixed (I wonder how this slipped under my eyes for so much time :roll: ) ...
Anonymissimus wrote:second, you are calling [endlevel] from a victory/defeat event
... fixed (at least it seems to work, with a quck test made using the debug console) ...
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Imperios wrote:
You could add castle tiles, at least- and mark them so they would be counted as plain/grassland/whatever.
The only way to do it will be to make a new terrain, as we don't have a grass overlay for castles in core. But yes, changing the border as wooden castle and the central part of the ship as wooden floor is definitely a nice idea. :)
... done.
I also experimented a bit with the indications from this thread, and this allowed me replacing the old custom terrains with a new code that uses core images. For this reason, I was able to remove some old images.

By the way, version 1.0.2 is on the 1.9 server.
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

I've been playing this campaign on 1.9, hardest level, and I can't see how I would ever get past the Sea Journey scenario. I read the small back-and-forth a couple of pages ago in this thred, but it's pretty hopeless, so matter what I do. I might have made it to turn 13 once, but that's it. A couple of level 3 nagas can chew up almost every unit in one turn or two at most. The humans are fodder and never survive being attacked by two of them, and even level 3 drakes fall eventually, with such crappy 30% defence. Since I've never even come close to finishing 24 turns I doubt I will keep going with this. Sorry!

The otehr scenarios were relatively easy but quite entertaining.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

sw_emigre wrote:and I can't see how I would ever get past the Sea Journey scenario. I read the small back-and-forth a couple of pages ago in this thred, but it's pretty hopeless, so matter what I do. I might have made it to turn 13 once, but that's it. A couple of level 3 nagas can chew up almost every unit in one turn or two at most.
So, can you tell me what high level units can you recall, and your starting gold?
About the Nagas: every turn, on Easy two L1 Nagas are created, on Normal two L1 and one L2, on Hard two L1, one L2 and one L3. If you want, I can prepare and send you a version of the scenario, where on Hard two L1, two L2 and no L3 will be created, so you can playtest it and tell me if it's balanced. OK? :)
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

1. Starting gold is terrible, only 126. So I have tried recruiting just a couple units at first in order to maximize income. I've also gone back and tried replaying the previous two scenarios, but the problem is that I don't know how much more money I can extract from them. In Bandits, you get tons of spam thrown at you, in To The Sea, you don't have nearly enough income needed to not go into negative gold.

2. Recall unit is 2 Blademasters, 2 Inferno Drakes, one lvl 3 and one lvl 2 clasher (I don't remember which ones), one Sky Drake, two lvl 2 healers, one or two other lvl 2 figther/burners. 2 of the units are night next to levelling. I don't have any Drake leaders, but they would only help with the spearmen, and honestly, their problem isn't delivering pain but receiving it! I also lost 2 Sky Drakes in Bandits; when I replayed that scenario, I always lose (at least) 3 levelled units, somebody's gotta go. Their 50% defence would help, but they don't have a lot of hit points anyway.

I think the recell list is decent, esp given I can only recall 7-8 units anyway. What I like about most of the scenarios is that you have to expect to lose a couple of units. Many of the mainstream campaigns, even on the hardest level, by the end you can have HUGE recall lists of level 3s, with plenty of AMLA. I've seen plenty of good drakes go to that great dragon in the sky. :)

Here are some off the top of my head thoughts. I hven't given a great deal of thought to them yet:
1. More starting gold.
2. Level 2 humans?
3. Less level 3 enemies.
4. Somehow, some way to get better defence for my drakes.
5. In lieu of #4, I'm thinking, "Aren't most boats crowded? If there was more impassable squares, cargo or the mast, for example, it would give us somehwere to hide behind/get healed in peace. As the map stands now, even the banks of villages still get your guys surrounded and eaten alive.

Sorry if my first post was cranky, but I have really tried this scenario a few times, and spent time going back 2 scenarios as well, in case I hadn't played them well. (Or at least as badly as I usually do.)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

sw_emigre wrote:1. Starting gold is terrible, only 126.
That's a problem. I playtested the campaign on Hard, and I started the scenario with 100 gold; but I already had six level 3 (two of them were halfway to go to level 4), and two L2 about to level up. It was quite hard also for me. Did you try replaying To the Sea by recruiting only Clashers?
sw_emigre wrote:1. More starting gold.
What about 150?
sw_emigre wrote:2. Level 2 humans?
Perhaps a Lieutenant, a Swordsman and a Pikeman?
sw_emigre wrote:3. Less level 3 enemies.
As I said, I can completely remove them, and use instead those Nagas with poisoned arrows that I already use in TSoG.
sw_emigre wrote:4. Somehow, some way to get better defence for my drakes.
That won't be of much use, as their best defence is 40% (well, 50% for Sky and Hurricane Drakes, but that's it...)
sw_emigre wrote:5. In lieu of #4, I'm thinking, "Aren't most boats crowded? If there was more impassable squares, cargo or the mast, for example, it would give us somehwere to hide behind/get healed in peace. As the map stands now, even the banks of villages still get your guys surrounded and eaten alive.
Like, a room (simulated by using cave wall) that contains one or two villages?
sw_emigre wrote:Sorry if my first post was cranky, but I have really tried this scenario a few times, and spent time going back 2 scenarios as well, in case I hadn't played them well. (Or at least as badly as I usually do.)
Don't worry, I understand when a post is made out of frustration. :)
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Hey I didn't know you did TSoG as well, I'm in the middle of replaying it, this time on hardest level. You're a creative man!

So I only just read your post, so let me see. No, I didn't try and replay the previous scenario with only clashers, guess I could give it a try. Would the Clashers survive this scenario?

When you playtested you had 8 good recruits, but you wouldn't even have that much money! I don't think my recall list was significantly different. (2-3 of my guys were ready to level.)

Poison would--literally--kill us off. Mucho do't like this one!

You're right there's no terrein that would help the Drakes. (That can't be how to spell it, but all three tries looked funny.) :P

More gold would perhaps help, but it wouldn't make this scenario any more interesting. (But that could be me, I never really liked the survival scenarios.) Better humans kind of fall into the same category. But these would be easy fixes.

So that would leave adding some angles/impassable spots on the boat. I hadn't thought of a separate room, but could perhaps work. I guess the human captain could start in there, act live captain's quarters. I had been thinking of more 3-4 connected squares as impassable spots, not to make choke points per se, but to have a way to protect wounded units while making it possible to set up a perimeter.

Since I just finished the first scenario of TSoG Part 2, I'm thinking of the survive x truns maps for Zurg and then after for Grog. Those maps have a way to set a defensive line and last. Something maybe not quite so easy, but along the same lines, is what I had in mind.

Take care!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

sw_emigre wrote:Hey I didn't know you did TSoG as well, I'm in the middle of replaying it, this time on hardest level. You're a creative man!
No, I don't feel that creative (or perhaps I'm simply underestimating myself?!?). I simply picked three abandoned campaigns that I liked, and I'm maintaining them as best as I can. :)
sw_emigre wrote:More gold would perhaps help, but it wouldn't make this scenario any more interesting. (But that could be me, I never really liked the survival scenarios.) Better humans kind of fall into the same category. But these would be easy fixes.
Agreed, I'll do both.
sw_emigre wrote:So that would leave adding some angles/impassable spots on the boat. I hadn't thought of a separate room, but could perhaps work. I guess the human captain could start in there, act live captain's quarters. I had been thinking of more 3-4 connected squares as impassable spots, not to make choke points per se, but to have a way to protect wounded units while making it possible to set up a perimeter.
Sometimes, browsing the forums gives some nice ideas. I like very much the worms that battlestar made, and you can see them at http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35715 . I thought that I can make it so that there is a small sealed room on the boat, but it is full of worms and, in fact, you have to "clean" it to be able accessing the villages here. Do you think that it may work?
sw_emigre wrote:Since I just finished the first scenario of TSoG Part 2, I'm thinking of the survive x truns maps for Zurg and then after for Grog. Those maps have a way to set a defensive line and last. Something maybe not quite so easy, but along the same lines, is what I had in mind.
Unfortunately, Drakes are perhaps the only units that cannot really be used to form a defensive line relying on terrains. Sure, they can use chokepoints, but their low defense means that you cannot just sit them on a mountain and see what happens.