Campaign with Delfador as hero

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jp30

Delfador's Memoirs 0.5.1

Post by jp30 »

With bugfixes for a couple of bugs pointed out to me:

http://weka.ucdavis.edu/~jp30/delfadors ... 5.1.tar.gz

Also available from the campaign server.
scott

Post by scott »

I think this is a pretty neat campaign. I haven't had time to finish it; I'm stuck in the swamp.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Yes, quick question: Why did you change night in the swamp? I liked it
bettwer with the 2 stones. Also please do not put any time in another campaign-better finish some more scenarios in this one!
jp30

Post by jp30 »

santi wrote:Yes, quick question: Why did you change night in the swamp? I liked it
bettwer with the 2 stones. Also please do not put any time in another campaign-better finish some more scenarios in this one!
I don't think that I did change Night in the Swamp. However, it does make a difference which difficulty level you play on. You will get only one stone if you play on EASY, two if you play on NORMAL or HARD (and on HARD they are placed in difficult to get to positions).
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

After the cant remember_the_name( you know.. the scenario where you fight with the elves against the orcs and you meet the elven shaman...) scenario i get error; unknown scenario south_"something"(can´t remember :roll: )

Oh yeah, nice campaign. It´s my favourite right now. (deflador Pw()ns with the mages staff....) Althought it bugs me that after the wose scenario you cant recruit your loyalist units for three scenarios! I dont what the next scenario is, but i seriosly hope that i can get my loyalist units there.
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
jp30

Post by jp30 »

Burnsaber wrote:After the cant remember_the_name( you know.. the scenario where you fight with the elves against the orcs and you meet the elven shaman...) scenario i get error; unknown scenario south_"something"(can´t remember :roll: )

Oh yeah, nice campaign. It´s my favourite right now. (deflador Pw()ns with the mages staff....) Althought it bugs me that after the wose scenario you cant recruit your loyalist units for three scenarios! I dont what the next scenario is, but i seriosly hope that i can get my loyalist units there.
Thanks for the comments. The "unknown scenario" error is to be expected. That's what the next scenario will go. There will be at least one more scenario where you have to use elvish units before you join up with the wesnothians again.
Eol

Post by Eol »

Been a couple months, any update on this campaign. Had a good time playing through it and would like to see it finished.
De Opresso Liber
jp30

Post by jp30 »

Eol wrote:Been a couple months, any update on this campaign. Had a good time playing through it and would like to see it finished.
Yeah, unfortunately my time is limited, and I decided it would be better to spend my wesnoth hacking time on campaigns that will actually get to a finished state, Mystery and Orcish Incursion. I found that most of the time I spent working on Memoirs was spent rebalancing following changes to wesnoth itself.

I like Memoirs too, though. Its story arc has a certain charm for me and there are aspects to the characters that I have not yet revealed all of. It has not been abandoned, and I plan to return to it when I have more time and wesnoth has stabilised a bit.
PDF

Post by PDF »

Delfador's Memoirs under 0.8.8 crashes on loading maps : map files contains character "p", that is declared "illegal" when read by Wesnoth...
It's easy to change those "p" to anything else, but what were they supposed to be ? (they also crash the map editor, and I don't suppose they were legal previously...).
Apart from that the campaign runs well (or so it seems !)
PDF
aelius

Post by aelius »

They were piers. They should be replaced with either "\" or "/" (bridges).

- b.
jp30

Post by jp30 »

aelius wrote:They were piers. They should be replaced with either "" or "/" (bridges).
Ahhh, that's what the trouble is! It is already fixed in my working version of DM, which is why I hadn't noticed the problem.
PDF

Post by PDF »

Hi again,
Everything goes fine now that I've edited the maps (through Wordpad lol !).
Nice campaign, but I have difficulties Winnign and avoiding critical losses on the 3rd (I think) scenario, where you have to rescue a mage against an assassin orc.
The terrain (woody) is very unfriendly to loyalist units, villages are scarce and far between on your side, whereas the orcs have many near villages.
The poison units are very hard to counter under these conditions... Or is there some good strategy I didn't try ? :?:
PDF
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

There was an earlier discussion I had with jp30 on this thread. The point is you should not attempt to send units to protect Leolyn. Instead launch an immediate attack against the enemy leader. You need to recruit mages
to counter the assasins,also some spearmen in the open areas.
Fortunately jp30 guarantees that the AI will not focus on quickly killing Leolyn, so you have a real shot. Other than that the scenario is not hard(though still probably the toughest of the entire campaign)
Good luck.
PDF

Post by PDF »

santi wrote:There was an earlier discussion I had with jp30 on this thread. The point is you should not attempt to send units to protect Leolyn. Instead launch an immediate attack against the enemy leader. You need to recruit mages
to counter the assasins,also some spearmen in the open areas.
Fortunately jp30 guarantees that the AI will not focus on quickly killing Leolyn, so you have a real shot. Other than that the scenario is not hard(though still probably the toughest of the entire campaign)
Good luck.
Huh, THAT's was I've tried to do (direct attack on orcs, forget about Leollyn) :oops: ! I saw that the orcs only attacked halfheartedly Leollyn, and he sent most of his army directly on me. On the first night, I tried to hold on along the river near the middle of the map, but many units get poisoned and only 2 villages are even remotely near.

Surely I should have had more mages...
PDF
jp30

Post by jp30 »

PDF wrote:Hi again,
Everything goes fine now that I've edited the maps (through Wordpad lol !).
Nice campaign, but I have difficulties Winnign and avoiding critical losses on the 3rd (I think) scenario, where you have to rescue a mage against an assassin orc.
The terrain (woody) is very unfriendly to loyalist units, villages are scarce and far between on your side, whereas the orcs have many near villages.
Try forcing the assassins to attack from the river. It will be easier if you managed to level up a mage to white mage in the previous scenario, too.