The Unstoppable Legion - version 0.6.0 - but for Wesnoth 1.2

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

ok, I beat the first two scenaria on hard.
The first scenario was epecially easy as the enemy leader ventured
into my forest and soon got slaughtered around turn 12
The second scenario was tough
and I only beat it on rd 10. I sent deuterus plus a horseman west to assasinate the orc leader. The problem was then that I did not have enough troops to break through the orcish forces and on top of that I had to protect Victor. The Dark riders finally caught up with me and I was able to level Hulbert(the loyal horseman) and moved a badly wounded Victor out of the way. Luckily for me the orcs attacked the dark riders and vice versa and Deuterus was able to kill the enemy leader on the last turn.

On the third scenario it quickly became clear that there was no way to beat both leaders by Rd 18 and keep the general alive. However, the scenario said last for 15 rds, which is probably wrong. Anyway, after a big fight I was able to beat the skeletons close to my keep and also killed all dark riders and many more enemy units south(some 24 enemy units total,
I think). I calculated that I could easily last by rd 15, at which point the only forces south was Hulburt(with 117/120 XP), but wounded
plus the general. But the game went on after Rd15, without giving me the victory.
I think the scenario is survivable on hard for 18 rds, but certainely
I think it's not possible to beat both enemy leaders
This is beacuse Victor refrained from recruiting(I had some 88 gold at the end, when the general got killed) which was deliberate: As I thought holding out to 15 rds would be enough plus I could not win in 18rds by
recruiting more, I hoped to save the gold for future scenaria. Now I have to replay this.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

BTW, nice campaign. And, also I only fought skeletons on the 3rd scenario on hard, not skeleton archers!
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

In the third scenario, the objective is to defeat fifteen units, not survive for fifteen turns. I haven't playtested the third scenario on hard lately, so I'm still relying on the accounts of gluttons for punishment.

However, here comes version 0.1.2, which has, amongst other things, various balancing tweaks to the third scenario, and now has a fifth scenario to take on. Enjoy.
Attachments
The_Unstoppable_Legion_0.1.2.tar.gz
The Unstoppable Legion v. 0.1.2 (as .tar.gz)
(100 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
The_Unstoppable_Legion_0.1.2.zip
The Unstoppable Legion v. 0.1.2 (as .zip
(121.78 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

In the third scenario, the objective is to defeat fifteen units, not survive for fifteen turns.
I killed about 24 enemy units total(both skeletons and Dark riders/cultists/dark warriors). Or should I count them separately? Anyway, I'll replay and see how this goes in the new version
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Chris NS wrote: However, here comes version 0.1.2, which has, amongst other things, various balancing tweaks to the third scenario, and now has a fifth scenario to take on. Enjoy.
BfW quits on the fifth scenario as soon as the green (orc) player starts his turn.

btw, I can't recruit just recall, but maybe this is intended to be like this...
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

It shouldn't be doing either of those. (In fact, I don't think BfW is supposed to quit no matter what bugs are in the WML.) You should have access to both the recruit and recall lists as normal. However, it works for me.

All I can think is that maybe there's a problem with compatability between 0.1.0a and 0.1.2. Did you load a savegame from an earlier version? In the units folder, are the archers on horeback still called cavalry archers? If that's the case, that will be the problem because they were renamed to bowriders.

If that doesn't work, send me a savegame and I'll try to identify the problem. And does anyone else have the same problem?
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Chris NS wrote: All I can think is that maybe there's a problem with compatability between 0.1.0a and 0.1.2. Did you load a savegame from an earlier version?
Yes, I used a save game :oops:
So I'll try to replay from the beginning
Thanks
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I really think at least on hard you must have general karak passive leader=yes, else he tends to come out and fight all enemies singlehandedly in Test of valour. True, the scenario is beatable, but too chancy.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

OK. You've talked me round. I'm setting the AI to passive_leader=yes on hard as an interim measure, although I've got plans for other ways of avoiding suicidal attacks which I intend to plan later. (Right now, I'm trying to polish off five scenarios to go on the campaign server before trying anything new.)

Any plans to tweak the AI to stop allied leaders launching suicidal attacks?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

And here we are ... version 0.2.0rc. What this means is that I've spent this time fixing bugs and balancing the existing scenarios rather than create any new scenarios. If nothing drastically wrong is reported, this will become version 0.2.0 and be uploaded on to the campaigns server.

Which bring me to a request for help. How do I actually upload these files. I know you need a .pbl file, but I can't find anything in either Wesnoth or the campaign file server that enables me to upload anything. And do I need to so anything to make sure if goes on the 1.1.x server?
Attachments
The_Unstoppable_Legion_0.2.0rc.tar.gz
The Unstoppable Legion v.0.2.orc as .tar.gz
(109.37 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
The_Unstoppable_Legion_0.2.0rc.zip
The Unstoppable Legion v.0.2.orc as .zip
(134.25 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

You need to create a file same name as your .cfg file. but a .pbl extention
In it put the following lines(modify as needed)

title="The Unstoppable hordes"
author="Chris NS"
description="Follow the story of Victor.... "
icon="dark_warrior.png"
name="The Unstoppable hordes"
passphrase="yoursecretpassphrase"
version="0.2.0(INCOMPLETE)"

Just start wesnoth like you want to play a campaign and choose "download more campaigns" from the campaign list. It will take you to the right 1.1 or 1.0.2 server depending on your version

Near the bottom of th elist of all campaigns you can download, it will have
a "Upload The Unstoppable hordes" option. Just click it and hopefully it will
upload. You can check later if it is there and of the proper size

Keep up the good work!
KRCM

Post by KRCM »

I have just finished the firts scenario's and I must say that they are very good, both storywise and gameplay. It's something other playing horsemen only, the only real downer is that the bowriders end on level 2. I do not know why but they seem to level faster then the others. Maybe because I can keep them alive easier then the others ...
Maintainer Elf War
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Hooray! Another satisfied customer. There will be level 3 advancements for bowriders, it's just that I haven't got round to that yet. (The Imperial Era units have two forks and I was undecided how to handle this, but I've made up my mind about this now.) The Bowriders shouldn't be easier to advance than other units - if anyone else is noticing this can you alert me and I'll adjust the XP stats.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

I'm enjoying this campaign.

I think the Bowrider is overpowered.

I suggest removing the special resistances from him (i.e. impact=60, blade=70, cold=80). Leave him with standard cavalry resistances. He's not supposed to be heavily plated anyway, he's supposed to be light cavalry.

Otherwise, as I said, I think it's fun...
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Thanks for more positive feedback. Version 0.2.1 is on the way. But before that, I'd like your opinion on something.

I have decided to invoke the clause in the ideas forum that if no-one else implements your idea, you can do it yourself. I want to give the loyal units markers in the same way that hero units have markers, so that you don't accidentally send useful units like Hubert off to certain death. The question is ... what sort of marker should I use? All suggestions welcome.

If you're really enthusiastic, you can design a marker and I might use it. I may be appealing for more help with the graphics later on, because I am useless at that (as you will see when this new scenario appears).