Sloppy use of [binary_path]s

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ranger M wrote:EDIT 2: yep, that worked. But I don't get why it works like that, it seems a little pointless and confusing if you don't know about it. Does this happen anywhere else within a UMC?
Well, AFAIK it happens with basically all image keys, be it terrain, units, portraits, items, etc. That's why you don't have to put the images/ in front of every image path in your campaign. But sure, it can be a bit confusing but I also can't think of where information like that would fit for example in the current wiki structure. We'd need a proper WML tutorial for these kind of things...

PS. {@campaigns/Invasion_of_Arendia/images} doesn't really do anything.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

zookeeper wrote:Well, AFAIK it happens with basically all image keys, be it terrain, units, portraits, items, etc. That's why you don't have to put the images/ in front of every image path in your campaign. But sure, it can be a bit confusing but I also can't think of where information like that would fit for example in the current wiki structure. We'd need a proper WML tutorial for these kind of things...
Maybe it could be put as part of a random but useful notes section at the bottom of this page were any other similarly non-fitting things could be put too.
zookeeper wrote:PS. {@campaigns/Invasion_of_Arendia/images} doesn't really do anything.
point taken.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

funny no one mentioned the BinaryPathWML page.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

Sapient wrote:funny no one mentioned the BinaryPathWML page.
Funny that no one (read: :-D zookeeper :-D ) added the note there :lol:
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

tapik wrote:
Sapient wrote:funny no one mentioned the BinaryPathWML page.
Funny that no one (read: :-D zookeeper :-D ) added the note there :lol:
What note?
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

zookeeper wrote:
tapik wrote: Funny that no one (read: :-D zookeeper :-D ) added the note there :lol:
What note?
I mean a remark about external_binary_data. BTW I've fixed the Delfador's Memoirs to use the pattern. It is the only one user campaing using it in the WesCamp ;-)
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

mildly off topic:
turin wrote:I disagree that UMCs should be allowed to include stuff from official campaigns. If they want the data or images, they should duplicate them. Although this is redundant, it is IMHO better, because it means UMCs are self-sufficient - a change in another campaign cannot break your campaign.
Or, if the content is of sufficient quality, generally useful, and isn't part of the campaigns unique identity, it should be removed from the campaign folders and added to the main folders, to make it more generally accessable.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Turin and Eleazar are both right: Just because mainline campaigns are mainline does not mean that their latest versions are "better" than previous versions, both portrait/imagewise
(for instance I dislike the latest HttT Kalenz portrait) and storywise(luckily I can insert Mountain Pass and Valley of Statues in HttT). Hence since they can change, UMCs should not depend on stuff in the mainline campaigns.
binaryquasar

images

Post by binaryquasar »

thanks you for clarifying the image part I recently had an awful time trying to work on my first mod type project.. now I see why thanks again =)
WYRMY

Re: Sloppy use of [binary_path]s

Post by WYRMY »

Also mildly off-topic.

If you want to use a mainline image, but can't get the path there, why don't you just copy the image.

PS: Copying the path is easy. You just go

image=../Heir_to_the_Throne/images/pic.png
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Notice that using mainline campaign images won't work for everyone since campaigns aren't always installed...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness, so I'm de-stickifying it.