Campaign: Fall of Silvium

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

turin wrote:Also, looking for some historical information: How would a Legion commander who was defeated in battle be treated when he returned to Rome? He wouldn't be treated as if he was victorious, of course, but I was wondering how upset people would actually be... would he maybe lose his post? Or just be reprimanded? Maybe he would commit suicide; from reading "I, Claudius", that seems to be have been rather common among romans...
Roman generals normally were highly considered by their troops and therefore enourmously feared by the central state power. The soldiers had a stronger bond to their generals than to the rest of the empire. Normally it was forbidden for victorious generals to come to Rome together with their troops, as the imperator and the senat were fearing a coup. Especially in the period of decline (3rd century aC) their were a lot of general imperators which took the power by force (usally the head of the imperial guard - the pretorians - killed the imperator and after some years got killed by the head of the imperial guard...)
In the case a general would loose a campaign, or he would be reassigned in a less important position, or he was sent again against the same enemy in order to stop him.
If his troops didn't believe in him it some times happened that they just ran away, especially when the army took heavy losses during battle: loosing more than 1/3 of their men, a roman army tended to just rout and dissolve. The pretorians if present of course were a different matter.
So only partially anwsering your question a general might still be considered a valuable leader by his soldiers if he managed to get them out alive from a hopeless battle and be not to well seen by the central power. The central power might as well consider to sacrifice a valorous general, because he is getting to powerful, sending him in a battle/campaign without hope/return...

hope it helps
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

l'ultimo cruco wrote:In the case a general would loose a campaign, or he would be reassigned in a less important position, or he was sent again against the same enemy in order to stop him.
Cool. That's what I was planning, I just didn't know if it was realistic - he gets sent back against the same enemy.

Since he doesn't actually lose any battles, he is just retreating instead of standing his ground, I don't think his men would desert him... he is acting sort of like Gen. McClellan in the American Civil War. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I was just replaying the first two scenarios on medium, and here are my observations. Does anyone else disagree?

* For some reason, they were both a LOT harder than when I first playtested.
* The Marauder Boatsmen seem overpowered. They shouldn't have 60% in forest, and probably not 40% on grassland.
* 30 turns seems a little low for scenario 2 - 32, maybe, or 34, would be a bit better.
* Having no keep on scenario 2 sucks. It was really irritating having to switch off keeps with the AI.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

turin wrote:* For some reason, they were both a LOT harder than when I first playtested.
Okay, it's not just my incompetence then. :-) I had a devil of a time on Scenario 1, medium difficulty. Now, granted, I'm not that great a player, but I only squeaked by, finishing the scenario with the two heros, one siege archer, and the guy with illuminates (sorry, can't remember the unit type).
turin wrote:* The Marauder Boatsmen seem overpowered. They shouldn't have 60% in forest, and probably not 40% on grassland.
Agreed. It also seemed like their HP was on the high side - it took a siege archer and regular archer 2-3 turns to kill one. Admittedly, he was on water.
turin wrote:* Having no keep on scenario 2 sucks. It was really irritating having to switch off keeps with the AI.
Hrm? I take it you're talking about adding a second keep to the "upper" fort? I've just kept my leader down in the original keep. Bad logistics, but the AI was only very rarely leaving the upper keep. Good idea. :-)
Author of Wercator
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Quensul wrote:
turin wrote:* For some reason, they were both a LOT harder than when I first playtested.
Okay, it's not just my incompetence then. :-) I had a devil of a time on Scenario 1, medium difficulty. Now, granted, I'm not that great a player, but I only squeaked by, finishing the scenario with the two heros, one siege archer, and the guy with illuminates (sorry, can't remember the unit type).
Would another castle hex help? There were originally 4, but I reduced it to 2 because it was too easy.
Quensul wrote:
turin wrote:* Having no keep on scenario 2 sucks. It was really irritating having to switch off keeps with the AI.
Hrm? I take it you're talking about adding a second keep to the "upper" fort? I've just kept my leader down in the original keep. Bad logistics, but the AI was only very rarely leaving the upper keep. Good idea. :-)
Well, what I actually meant was, if you win the first scenario by moving the leader to the end of the road, the next scenario is harder, and there is only one keep.
The World of Orbivm
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

BTW, easy is really. I didn't even recruit in Scenario 1, just lured someof them over the river with the Nemidian and let the rest of them come to me at the castle, forcing them to attack from grassland. Fun, though.

Scenario 2 was straightforward, with me storming up on both sides of the river. When the reinforcements showedup, they were relatively easy to contain thanks to javelins and slow.

Scenario 3 I didn't try to kill the leader, just defended along the river and forded for a counterattack to cut off the eastern villages.

So easy is nice, I'll give it another go on medium.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

ozymandias wrote:BTW, easy is really. I didn't even recruit in Scenario 1, just lured someof them over the river with the Nemidian and let the rest of them come to me at the castle, forcing them to attack from grassland. Fun, though.
Hm. On medium, that strategy does not work. ;)
ozymandias wrote:Scenario 2 was straightforward, with me storming up on both sides of the river. When the reinforcements showedup, they were relatively easy to contain thanks to javelins and slow.
That's about what I expected. The reinforcements aren't a huge problem, unless you were in an all-out charge because you thought he was defeated. (If your forces are too far apart, the ones closest to his leader tend to be killed before you can defend them). This is meant to emphasize the fact that in the Lavinian legion, discipline in battle is a must.

ozymandias wrote:Scenario 3 I didn't try to kill the leader, just defended along the river and forded for a counterattack to cut off the eastern villages.
I'm moving the leader over to the eastern side, which should make it harder.

[edit]
0.2 has been published for your enjoyment. ;)
The World of Orbivm
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

turin wrote:Would another castle hex help? There were originally 4, but I reduced it to 2 because it was too easy.
Yeah, that would help some. I was losing a unit or two holding back the tide until I could get my new units into play, and couldn't retreat to the far side of the river without skipping some recruiting.
turin wrote:Well, what I actually meant was, if you win the first scenario by moving the leader to the end of the road, the next scenario is harder, and there is only one keep.
Ah, okay. That's what I get for not reading the .cfg. :-)
Author of Wercator
bignall

Post by bignall »

I played through to the The Other Forest, but when I got there, my recall list is empty. Looking through the .cfg, I see that at least Jugarthus M should have been recalled so that he could speak, but he doesn't appear. I imagine the two things are related and the second is just a symptom of the fact that there's noone to recall.

I'm certainly enjoying the campaign!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

bignall wrote:I played through to the The Other Forest, but when I got there, my recall list is empty. Looking through the .cfg, I see that at least Jugarthus M should have been recalled so that he could speak, but he doesn't appear. I imagine the two things are related and the second is just a symptom of the fact that there's noone to recall.
Urgh. This is a problem related to the storing and unstoring of units for scenario 5, which is not written yet; I thought I'd fixed it, though. Maybe the change missed the release...
bignall wrote:I'm certainly enjoying the campaign!
Thanks. :)
The World of Orbivm
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Here's my experiences, version 0.2.0 on medium.

1. Return from Lavinium:
It's tough to get through this scenario while gaining experience and keeping your quality troops. I like the fact that you only have two castle hexes for recruitment - feels like you're ill-prepared for the initial attack at night. Rather I'd like to arrive there one turn earlier, if anything (I'd recommend on easy to do so, at least). Recruitment for this is hard, I find that getting some experience to auxilliaries is very important, and they can do very well on the keeps with leadership. But they don't ZOC your flanks. When I played, the AI got lots of Crushers which quickly tore down my legionnaires and almost took some of my more elite units, too. Maybe a limit on how many of those Crushers the enemy gets would be helpful (as they make things very unpredictable).
I also think the fort should bend around more to protect the bridge, so that only one enemy can jump in the water and attack units there. I think it would be more strategic if you actually had a semi-protected space there, as not only wounded units but also bowmen are very susceptible to Crusher attacks.
I was able to almost level an auxilliary, give some good experience to a bowman, but lost my propugnator in this one. My higher level units ended up with the most experience, as they survived and I couldn't really hold them back if I wanted to stop the tide.

2. The Raid:
Started this with 160 gold, which helped a lot :). I stayed in the main keep, never needing the second one. I think the blue side plays a good role in keeping the action going early, and randomising how the scenario plays somewhat without interfering too much. That's really good. It's also a challenge to try to send your units into battle at a time where they help blue the most. Getting that right helped tremendously.
I also sent Jugarthus into trouble (as in almost every scenario!), because at daytime he acts like a shepherd dog on the Marauders, and at nighttime he can draw 3-4 units, damage them in return and still survive to be bailed out. He's my tactical gambit :). I'm not sure this is intentional, but in this scenario I sent him on the west bank of the northern river and during the first day, all the marauder forces stayed on the east side (so there was no need to defend against boatmen raiders on the river island). At dusk, he was attacked by boatsmen and scouts and divided the enemy, making it easier for blue and me to press on even at night.
I find the terrain really hard in this one. Maybe I should have recruited more auxilliaries. Moving the legionnaires through forest is a nightmare, while on the thin stretch of riverbank grass it's hard to advance quickly in a good formation, and the boatsmen from the river kill them quicky. Only after eliminating the first wave is this possible, and I had to fall back to the northern keep for that (ehm, getting all units outside killed :)).
The first time I played this, I triggered the reinforcements early and was doomed. I think it would be better to trigger them based on losses and moveto events, and not just an opportunity to take a village. Of course, the second time round I used this knowledge to my advantage. Still, the second wave is hard to defend against, if you're only on the eastern/forested edge of the river. Even a 2hp Crusher will completely demolish a bowman in forest... of all the levelled units I could only keep a decurion, a light infantryman, a skirmisher and a ballista (which helped take down the marauder leader).
I finished this in turn 20.
EDIT: it's a little annoying that the villages in Silvia are owned by blue, so you have to decide when to waste the time to capture them before going north... is this intentional?

3. Down the Silvia River:
Started this with 261 gold, which bought me a force good enough to try and defeat the leader. The other objectives were very unclear, I wasn't sure which end of the road was meant. The western end has a signpost (which in mainline campaigns acts sort of as a goalpost) but obviously that's where you came from - the road has two other ends, and trying which one it is isn't an option with move 3 peasants. When I tried the civilian victory conditions I wasn't happy with the scenario - it didn't stop 5 turns later but the next turn. I had spent too much gold and gained nothing for it, since the marauders would just waste a whole day sitting north of the river, not daring to attack my forces.
Then in another try I crossed the river north and west of the second village along the river, further east of that with horsemen and north of the keep after defeating the few marauders that came south (the main marauder force was keeping to the forests and moving east). I find it almost impossible to make any headway against the marauders in the terrain north of the river, especially near the west. I could not form any single decent formation, and the fight broke into three smaller ones, each going very differently. I lost the decurion from the first scenario here (taking more than 40 xp with him :(). And even while the fight nearer the enemy keep was going very well, I just couldn't advance quickly enough to the leader to make it worthwhile from a perspective of turn bonus. Since I lost most units here, and killing the level 3 leader was a close call in the end, I'd say it wasn't worth it (hm, my replay is corrupt, but it seems to go to turn 28 or 29 before I defeated him).
I'd recommend maybe having a level 2 leader here (it would make sense having a minor thain doing an opportunity ambush), and making the forest less dense. The way it is now, I'd try to recruit less units and stay close to the civilians, not even necessarily along the river because of the boatmen. Although fording the river and closing in on the enemy keep is more fun (at least before you slog through that forest).

4. The Port City:
I came into this with 175 gold (I think mostly by owning most of the villages on the previous map for such a long time), and gaining another 200 made me think that maybe I also needed to spend it in this scenario. So I recruited a large force and got into the outer perimeter of the city at the same time that blue did. There was only a moderate amount of fighting (none of which was particularly challenging) before the marauders arrived. I was quite disappointed that I wouldn't be able to take the city, after all. Then the challenge was moving all my units to the outer edge of the map. The marauder leader recruited level 2 units, but for some reason only one at a time. This wasn't an attack! By the time I had crossed the river south of the city with one part of my forces and arrived on the northern end of the river with another, the civilians were almost all in the ships. There was some talk earlier that the legion would stay on and fight, and I was surprised that when the last civilian disappeared that I had just won. After spending 7 turns or so just moving all my units and finally getting into some fight, it just stopped! Again, I overrecruited for the purposes of this scenario...
The prospect of having to fight those marauders wouldn't be too nice. Level 2 marauders and lots and lots of forest again. It'd be practically impossible.
All in all, this scenario was a disappointment after the previous ones. As a remedy, I'd suggest that blue doesn't ally with Caius when the marauders arrive, but that Darius decides that you as a traitor brought the predicament on the province, and he'll continue to fight and try to make it to the ships to flee (I know, getting the AI to perform like this is, umm, hard? :lol:). Depending on the difficulty level, a number of his units might change sides and become allied with Caius. When you kill Darius, the rest of his units rally to your cause to try and defend the Port and Caius gets the authority to order the evacuation (not before). I think this behaviour is more likely than having the besieged Lavinians suddenly ally with you just when the marauders appear, and the player's preparation for taking the city weren't for nothing. Either change the victory conditions to hold out X turns after all civilians have gone on board, or to defeat Y number of marauders. In any case, I think making the terrain lighter on the west bank (maybe having more hills and less forest) would be good, and also moving the marauder keep a bit more to the south.
EDIT: maybe have another leader who recruits boatmen appear in the southwest. The marauders boats are mentioned, so it would be good to give them some naval forces :). (or leave those out if the leader in the previous scenario was defeated)

Generally, I think in scenario 3 and 4 the terrain distribution is too extreme in favour of the marauders near their keeps. Good campaign, I was sceptically conservative about playing a new faction on a new continent (argh, new content and gameplay :wink::!:), but am pleasantly surprised.
EDIT: I also edited in the dud event to fix the boatman frame in the water, but it looks really silly because it's still half submerged :lol:! It looks like their tub has sunk, with them still in it... :?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thanks for playing.
Rhuvaen wrote:1. Return from Lavinium:
It's tough to get through this scenario while gaining experience and keeping your quality troops. I like the fact that you only have two castle hexes for recruitment - feels like you're ill-prepared for the initial attack at night. Rather I'd like to arrive there one turn earlier, if anything (I'd recommend on easy to do so, at least). Recruitment for this is hard, I find that getting some experience to auxilliaries is very important, and they can do very well on the keeps with leadership. But they don't ZOC your flanks. When I played, the AI got lots of Crushers which quickly tore down my legionnaires and almost took some of my more elite units, too. Maybe a limit on how many of those Crushers the enemy gets would be helpful (as they make things very unpredictable).
I also think the fort should bend around more to protect the bridge, so that only one enemy can jump in the water and attack units there. I think it would be more strategic if you actually had a semi-protected space there, as not only wounded units but also bowmen are very susceptible to Crusher attacks.
I was able to almost level an auxilliary, give some good experience to a bowman, but lost my propugnator in this one. My higher level units ended up with the most experience, as they survived and I couldn't really hold them back if I wanted to stop the tide.
I wouldn't have a problem with delaying the Marauder's appearance on Easy by a turn; it would have the same effect as what you suggest.

The Crushers are very unpredictable; the only way I can usually handle them is arrange it so they kill a weak, insignificant unit, then I gang up on them. Probably they should only be allowed 2 (3 on hard).

I'm not sure what you mean about the castle; I'll post a map later and see if that's what you want.

Rhuvaen wrote:2. The Raid:
Started this with 160 gold, which helped a lot :). I stayed in the main keep, never needing the second one. I think the blue side plays a good role in keeping the action going early, and randomising how the scenario plays somewhat without interfering too much. That's really good. It's also a challenge to try to send your units into battle at a time where they help blue the most. Getting that right helped tremendously.
I also sent Jugarthus into trouble (as in almost every scenario!), because at daytime he acts like a shepherd dog on the Marauders, and at nighttime he can draw 3-4 units, damage them in return and still survive to be bailed out. He's my tactical gambit :). I'm not sure this is intentional, but in this scenario I sent him on the west bank of the northern river and during the first day, all the marauder forces stayed on the east side (so there was no need to defend against boatmen raiders on the river island). At dusk, he was attacked by boatsmen and scouts and divided the enemy, making it easier for blue and me to press on even at night.
I find the terrain really hard in this one. Maybe I should have recruited more auxilliaries. Moving the legionnaires through forest is a nightmare, while on the thin stretch of riverbank grass it's hard to advance quickly in a good formation, and the boatsmen from the river kill them quicky. Only after eliminating the first wave is this possible, and I had to fall back to the northern keep for that (ehm, getting all units outside killed :)).
The first time I played this, I triggered the reinforcements early and was doomed. I think it would be better to trigger them based on losses and moveto events, and not just an opportunity to take a village. Of course, the second time round I used this knowledge to my advantage. Still, the second wave is hard to defend against, if you're only on the eastern/forested edge of the river. Even a 2hp Crusher will completely demolish a bowman in forest... of all the levelled units I could only keep a decurion, a light infantryman, a skirmisher and a ballista (which helped take down the marauder leader).
I finished this in turn 20.
EDIT: it's a little annoying that the villages in Silvia are owned by blue, so you have to decide when to waste the time to capture them before going north... is this intentional?
I always get Jugarthus in trouble too. He's a really powerful unit, and often he can take down an enemy with no damage. ;)
I agree that the reinforcements should be triggered in a different manner. Originally it was supposed to occur when you killed 15 enemies, but then it wouldn't trigger if you send up some Nemidian Horsemen to assassinate him. Any help here would be appreciated.

The villages probably shouldn't be blue. I know how to fix that.
Rhuvaen wrote:3. Down the Silvia River:
Started this with 261 gold, which bought me a force good enough to try and defeat the leader. The other objectives were very unclear, I wasn't sure which end of the road was meant. The western end has a signpost (which in mainline campaigns acts sort of as a goalpost) but obviously that's where you came from - the road has two other ends, and trying which one it is isn't an option with move 3 peasants. When I tried the civilian victory conditions I wasn't happy with the scenario - it didn't stop 5 turns later but the next turn. I had spent too much gold and gained nothing for it, since the marauders would just waste a whole day sitting north of the river, not daring to attack my forces.
Then in another try I crossed the river north and west of the second village along the river, further east of that with horsemen and north of the keep after defeating the few marauders that came south (the main marauder force was keeping to the forests and moving east). I find it almost impossible to make any headway against the marauders in the terrain north of the river, especially near the west. I could not form any single decent formation, and the fight broke into three smaller ones, each going very differently. I lost the decurion from the first scenario here (taking more than 40 xp with him :(). And even while the fight nearer the enemy keep was going very well, I just couldn't advance quickly enough to the leader to make it worthwhile from a perspective of turn bonus. Since I lost most units here, and killing the level 3 leader was a close call in the end, I'd say it wasn't worth it (hm, my replay is corrupt, but it seems to go to turn 28 or 29 before I defeated him).
I'd recommend maybe having a level 2 leader here (it would make sense having a minor thain doing an opportunity ambush), and making the forest less dense. The way it is now, I'd try to recruit less units and stay close to the civilians, not even necessarily along the river because of the boatmen. Although fording the river and closing in on the enemy keep is more fun (at least before you slog through that forest).
Yeah, this scenario still has some probablems... right now I plan to:
a) put a signpost on the end of the road
b) fix the event so the game ends on the correct turn
c) make the northern terrain a bit more inviting
d) rebalance the enemy, probably making him level 2 and maybe changing his gold.

Rhuvaen wrote:4. The Port City:
I came into this with 175 gold (I think mostly by owning most of the villages on the previous map for such a long time), and gaining another 200 made me think that maybe I also needed to spend it in this scenario. So I recruited a large force and got into the outer perimeter of the city at the same time that blue did. There was only a moderate amount of fighting (none of which was particularly challenging) before the marauders arrived. I was quite disappointed that I wouldn't be able to take the city, after all. Then the challenge was moving all my units to the outer edge of the map. The marauder leader recruited level 2 units, but for some reason only one at a time. This wasn't an attack! By the time I had crossed the river south of the city with one part of my forces and arrived on the northern end of the river with another, the civilians were almost all in the ships. There was some talk earlier that the legion would stay on and fight, and I was surprised that when the last civilian disappeared that I had just won. After spending 7 turns or so just moving all my units and finally getting into some fight, it just stopped! Again, I overrecruited for the purposes of this scenario...
The prospect of having to fight those marauders wouldn't be too nice. Level 2 marauders and lots and lots of forest again. It'd be practically impossible.
All in all, this scenario was a disappointment after the previous ones. As a remedy, I'd suggest that blue doesn't ally with Caius when the marauders arrive, but that Darius decides that you as a traitor brought the predicament on the province, and he'll continue to fight and try to make it to the ships to flee (I know, getting the AI to perform like this is, umm, hard? :lol:). Depending on the difficulty level, a number of his units might change sides and become allied with Caius. When you kill Darius, the rest of his units rally to your cause to try and defend the Port and Caius gets the authority to order the evacuation (not before). I think this behaviour is more likely than having the besieged Lavinians suddenly ally with you just when the marauders appear, and the player's preparation for taking the city weren't for nothing. Either change the victory conditions to hold out X turns after all civilians have gone on board, or to defeat Y number of marauders. In any case, I think making the terrain lighter on the west bank (maybe having more hills and less forest) would be good, and also moving the marauder keep a bit more to the south.
EDIT: maybe have another leader who recruits boatmen appear in the southwest. The marauders boats are mentioned, so it would be good to give them some naval forces :). (or leave those out if the leader in the previous scenario was defeated)
Good suggestions. I haven't actually gotten to scenario 4 yet (still balancing scenario 3), so I'll probably take all of your suggestions without question.

Rhuvaen wrote:Generally, I think in scenario 3 and 4 the terrain distribution is too extreme in favour of the marauders near their keeps. Good campaign, I was sceptically conservative about playing a new faction on a new continent (argh, new content and gameplay :wink::!:), but am pleasantly surprised.
EDIT: I also edited in the dud event to fix the boatman frame in the water, but it looks really silly because it's still half submerged :lol:! It looks like their tub has sunk, with them still in it... :?
I'll add in more hill and grassland to scenarios 3 and 4.

The problem with the boatsman's water frame would be... I've never actually seen them in the water, so I had no idea they looked half submerged. :P I'll look into raising them in the hex.

Anyway, glad you liked the campaign. THere's more to come.
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

Ok, I just downloaded this two weeks ago at my moms house, but I have the internet again, so i'll likely have plenty of feed back for you later- I like the first scenarion, but the second definitley needs to give a hint that the legionarres fight badly in the forest-I doubt people new to using the legn will realize it in time to avoid spending everything on them. havent lost a levelled up unit yet by the way-yay for steadfast! :wink:

about the crushers: I just manipulate them as I do a berserker-wait for my turn, attack them, and laugh as the low health unit keeps fighting and dies.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

turin wrote:I wouldn't have a problem with delaying the Marauder's appearance on Easy by a turn; it would have the same effect as what you suggest.
Note that I haven't tried playing on easy, I'm just saying it would be a good advantage to give (another good one would be one additional castle hex). I'm not a fan of just having less or more gold for the opposition on different difficulties.
turin wrote:The Crushers are very unpredictable; the only way I can usually handle them is arrange it so they kill a weak, insignificant unit, then I gang up on them. Probably they should only be allowed 2 (3 on hard).
Hm... in this scenario, you don't have many units to spare. I had 5 Crushers attack in the first night turn, with a few more coming up later. In this scenario they can really pick their targets. I've used the propugnator shield attack to cleanly remove a few Crushers, but when it goes really wrong there's not much left of him :).
turin wrote:I'm not sure what you mean about the castle; I'll post a map later and see if that's what you want.
At the moment, there's two shallow water spaces north of the bridge. That means two enemies can attack there. Any units parked on the bridge are endangered by this. I think it would be better to rearrange the castle so that there's only one water hex north of the bridge.
turin wrote:I always get Jugarthus in trouble too. He's a really powerful unit, and often he can take down an enemy with no damage. ;)
I'm wondering, I like the shepherding effect, but maybe have him start on level 2? He's getting so much experience that it's a shame to see it wasted.
turin wrote:I agree that the reinforcements should be triggered in a different manner. Originally it was supposed to occur when you killed 15 enemies, but then it wouldn't trigger if you send up some Nemidian Horsemen to assassinate him.
You could still do that without triggering the reinforcements! Maybe you could trigger it either if 15 enemies have been killed or on a moveto near the encampment, which could include the village to the southwest of the encampment but not the one in the forest.
turin wrote:Anyway, glad you liked the campaign. THere's more to come.
Good, it sparked my curiousity about all those factions in the Imperial Era, which I've so far completely ignored :). I'd be exciting to follow Caius into some of the other lands.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

New version released.

Changes:
* Limited Crushers on scenario 1 (0, 2, 3 on E, M, H)
* The castle is a different shape on the different difficulty levels on scenario 1 (3 recruitment spaces, 2 well placed, 2 badly placed, on E, M, H)
* The reinforcements are no longer triggered by the village SE of the enemy on scenario 2
* The third scenario is actually somewhat difficult now
* The noblemen from the third scenario come back on the fourth
* Various gold rebalancings

Additions:
* Scenario 6t (the talking scenario) is written, and leads logically to scenario 7
* Scenario 7's dialogue is written
* In the finale (scenario 8), it SHOULD show how many advanced units you lost, their stats, etc.

Now, a question for you... should I insert a scenario where you have to fight undead sidhe? And if so, where - between scenarios 6 and 6t, or between 6t and 7? I'm thinking that it could be cool to have a scenario where you open up sidhe cairns and get gold and treasure from inside, but have to fight the Warrior Spirits, but I can't think of a rationale for it.
The World of Orbivm