Undead Campaign: Despair and Decay

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inch

Post by Inch »

This sprite is for level 2. They still need a bit more work but will do for now.

I haven't been playing wesnoth a lot lately. I have a problem with my computer and it freezes when I'm in Wesnoth every once in a while. I end up losing files when I restart the computer.

I'll see if I can do something about the dead trapper sprite.
Attachments
tormented.ZIP
(18.64 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
bignall

Post by bignall »

Flava clown - thanks for explaining that to me. I'll keep that in mind when I see your updates from now on :) . I've run out of updated campaigns to play, so maybe I'll play DaD again.
Truper

Post by Truper »

Glad you squashed the experience bug, flava_clown. I think if Disturbed's Rage isn't an ability that's going to carry over into other scenarios, then either the wording of the event should make that very clear, or rage should be removed, and some other event substituted - otherwise players will be confused.
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

honestly this event is made by an accident. it was never my intention to have there an event, i just like the image and thought it will fit there very well, but then came Grey_Wolf_c and said that there nothing happend, if this is a bug? so i had to put there something and while i was playing with the unit file from ???? i've found the rage variation and thought it's maybe funny to use it.
i don't like the idea to remove it, but have also no idea how to tell the player in a story-like way that the rage state will last only for this scenario. i am pretty sure that some people think already that's 'unrealistic' that an undead is pissed about something like moving to a place just to find there nothing...
if you have an idea for a neat way to make clear it won't last forever, then please tell me that and i'll include it in my next version. or if you have another idea for a little bonus to walk there with ????, just tell me that instead ;) ... to make it clear, i agree, like this it's confusing!

@bignall: feel free to test 0.3.1b, comments and bug reports are highly appreciated (that's wrong written, right?) ... erm highly welcome ;)

@Inch: i am really sorry to read that. damn i thought that i have problems with wesnoth, but a total freeze with lost files is really shhh... thank you for the package, i'll put this in a unit file and maybe upload it on sunday.
it's a little sad that we don't have the level 2 state for long, maybe i should increase the necessary xp a little bit before we can level up to 3.
btw. i was about to ask where you from, as the file date from one file was in "the future", but now i see "new zealand", that makes it clear...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

okay isn't sunday yet, at least not here ;)

i made a unit file for the tormented sprite from Inch. actualy i made 2. in one version called "alternate" i've added a little glowing effect to the ranged versions of the tormented sprite, to give it a more magical look. so please try both and tell me/us which one you like more.
Attachments
tormented_unit.zip
unpack it in your DaD folder and replace the existing tormented.cfg with the one included
(20.36 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
tormented_unit_alternate.zip
unpack it in your DaD folder and replace the existing tormented.cfg with the one included. (in this version, to frames are changed, please test the normal version first and unpack this one after you saw the first version!)
(22.07 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
the glowing effect in action ;)
the glowing effect in action ;)
alternate.jpg (11.41 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
bignall

Post by bignall »

If you look closely, it kind of looks like he's hitting his head and then the light is coming out of his head. B :P But, really, I like it. I think the glowing affect really makes it!

BTW, may I suggest something to hint that you should send ???? to go check out the altar. I had always sent some other unit out there to see what was there. I only sent ???? after rereading the forum and realizing that ???? was the only one who could trigger it fully. Something like "Oh, there's an altar out there.... perhaps I should go see what has been offered there."

It might be fun to have something happen when you move to bones the first time as well since they appear on several of the maps. Just a thought.
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

bignall wrote: It might be fun to have something happen when you move to bones the first time as well since they appear on several of the maps. Just a thought.
do you think so ;) ... maybe you should try to move close to such bones, but don't step on them... and keep in mind that only ???? got necromancer skills ....

about the hint... it's just an easter egg, the player should find it out by themself with which unit, it makes more sense to walk there. the first (unreleased) version of this event, was that a normal unit find some gold after kicking against the ruins, the idea was that the unit is pissed that ???? send him there just for nothing, but then i thought, that a mindless slave wouldn't do such a thing and since gold doesn't carry over it wasn't bonus enough so i replaced it, with what you see now ;)
however i'm open for every event idea. if we find a way to tell the player that the rage variation is just for this map, then i'll add a text which says that ???? better go there to check it out...

about the self hitting head thing, hehe... the problem is the sprite, it moves the staff like this, if i add an glowing thing on frame 2 where the staff is far away from the head, then i have to add it to frame 3, where the staff is in front of the head, as well. it was just an idea or better just a try from Inchs idea, he wrote that a glowing something would be good.
i thing it looks only like this with attacks to the north, to the side it looks better ;)
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, just leave the A+A Rage thing as an Easter Egg. No need to do anything more with it.

Again, I think the gfx look great. I'll just leave you guys to it then. :)

If anyone wants, here's what I'd like some help with. I want to make the human side in tFoE do some things:

-Heavily protect the White Mages
-Heavily protect Lodrin
-Have Lodrin stay in (or just very rarely leave) the castle/keep area
-Mostly stay within the city area (since they're defending the city)

I think we should add an altered version of the Orc's day/night AI switching that's found in the original HttT Elensefar scenario.

I don't quite understand how the values work for defensive, caution, guardian or any of that stuff. A little later I hope to get some answers to some specific questions about it all.
bignall

Post by bignall »

flava_clown wrote: do you think so ;) ... maybe you should try to move close to such bones, but don't step on them... and keep in mind that only ???? got necromancer skills ....
Oh... that's what I've been missing... I just always sent him right onto them. I'll try it next time I play DaD.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

bignall wrote:
flava_clown wrote: do you think so ;) ... maybe you should try to move close to such bones, but don't step on them... and keep in mind that only ???? got necromancer skills ....
Oh... that's what I've been missing... I just always sent him right onto them. I'll try it next time I play DaD.
I agree that part isn't clear. I'll look into making some note at the start of Isle that says something about having to move the leader next to corpses for special events.
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

he's talking about SoS and i don't want a message there, coz it's like the rage thing just an easter egg. if you figure it out: nice, if not "mala leche" ;)
but okay in Isle i'd accept a message that descripe how to bring Ligh back

about your help wish... you know who's the one to bother :P
to make him stay in the keep isn't a big deal, the other things maybe... but i will try it... i'd add the elves there too, but honestly i have no clue where you want them and what you want them to do. if you can explain this and the horse guy...err rider then i'll put them in.

anyway, my idea for RE is to change the objective when delfador is in the cave, now our master just "say" that, but what's about a "real" objective change?

btw it would be highly unrealistic to bring bones back while standing on them :twisted: if you know what i mean...
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, I was thinking about changing the objectives maybe a couple times for that scenario. #1 is regular "get delfador" #2 is when delfador is close to the cave "take the elves' keep, then enter the cave" then #3, when delfador is hidden, just have "defeat the elves."
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

i think this won't work, at least not the way it is now. we need longer to go to the old keep than delfador needs to go to the cave. and without other units we don't have a chance against the elves.

anyway... i had yesterday some time to try things out with tFoE. the leader won't leave the keep now, the isle is now better protected, we have a little intro... there is still some work needed, like to make sure that the humans won't enter the water, i had the hope to do it easily with store_locations and avoid, but i don't see a way to use the stored array in an automatic/easy way. if all fails, then i have to add every single hex location to the avoid tag ;)

btw. am i the only one who have problems to load 1.1.5 save games with 1.1.7? i had to downgrade to 1.1.5 because everytime i've tried to load a save game, i've recieved the error msg below... i've tried to "convert" the save game manually but it still crashed...
honestly i am tired of all this [censored], they had to skip 1.1.6 due to a "nasty bug", release a lousy 1.1.7 version and have nothing better to do than to talk about the next "stable" release... someone who "upgrade" from 1.02 to 1.2 will be disappointed as hell and "downgrade" back really fast or will just uninstall wesnoth and will forget it...

edit: file removed
Attachments
this pops up if i click on &amp;quot;load&amp;quot; and then answer the question with &amp;quot;yes&amp;quot;<br />a click on okay close wesnoth
this pops up if i click on &quot;load&quot; and then answer the question with &quot;yes&quot;
a click on okay close wesnoth
error_msg_01.jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Last edited by flava_clown on July 1st, 2006, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Truper

Post by Truper »

I haven't tried loading a 1.1.5 savegame with 1.1.7, but I disagree with everything else you said about the new versions. The balance keeps getting better, the graphics and sounds keep getting better, and it seems to me that autosave times under 1.1.7 are better than they were under 1.1.5.
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

okay, i was maybe a bit too hard with saying that... something terrible happend on wednesday, which brought be really down...
but the first i saw from 1.1.7 was that error msg and after some wasted time with trying to convert the save game manually, i gave up and unistalled it. if i have time, i'll install 1.1.7 again and start playing DaD from the beginning, since i found out that our save games aren't clean anymore, seems that the flusharray macro is not working anymore or there is something else wrong.

anaway, thanx to Rhuvaen, it was possible to keep the humans out of the water. (see this post )
i've changed some dialogues a bit, even if they have to be changed/corrected from Ken. also several other little tweaks...
Attachments
6_The_Fall_of_Elensefar_c0.2.zip
unpack it in the DaD/scenarios folder and replace the existing file with this one.
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace