Undead Campaign: Despair and Decay

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

hi

you are right if you think that the gold doesn't work. i made a really stupid bug. i forgot the dollar sign in front of a variable. anyway it was also not smart from me to add the gold bonus in HH, coz the player will lose 20%. this and some more is fixed/changed.
the way you did the gold thing was puzzeling me a bit. i mean the try to clear the gold. i use now "modify side" which works quite well.
and honestly 0.2.1a/0.2.1b were not really tested ... the new one is!
erm i am not pretty sure if i did already what you wrote.
in the end of the map the gold will be set to 0 and you gain only money if you killed at least one leader. but we should reduce the 300 to maybe 150 and 35 for one to 45 or 50. i think like this it makes more sense to try to kill all. but this is already "fine tuning" ;)

and i run into a really strange problem with the bring ligh back event. if '????' kill him then he should bring him back and ligh will say "master!". okay this works, but then follow the 2 messages from the undead ligh die event. and '????' counts there as second unit... huh? wtf? ... if i added a second filter to the die event "not side 1" then it worked. but it was a too dirty work around for me. strange is also that nearly the same code works like a charme if not '????' killed ligh and bring his dead body to life. difference was that the bring back code was there in an event.
so i had to add it in an event. now we have to wait to our next turn before we bring ligh back. and we can't bring him back if moremirmu is already hidden. but at least it works. i will try another idea which i became short before i left my home to go online. ;)

about the well event, good idea, coz thanx to your changes it won't be seen in M+M anymore.

okay here is what i wrote offline:

finally... i had to delay it a bit, thanx to problem, which i still not understand.
however even if the change.log is damn small, i did a lot. you will see it if you
try to recognize one of the scenario files ;) i hope the macros will help us a bit.

change.log

Overall:
- several code changes, makes now more use of macros.

SoS:
- fixed a bug, which made it possible to gain a lot of units for free ;)

HH:
- added an event on turn 45 which shows a message from '????' depending on the actual
situation. (how many leaders left, if only one, then who is left)
- changed some code, to make sure the gold bonus carry over (full) to the next scenario
fixed also a little bug there.. should work now correctly! (0 gold + bonus added in Isle)

Isle:
- 2 new temple events, which event fires where, is picked randomly
- recoded the 'bring ligh back' event.
if '????' kills 'ligh', then he will bring him back with the start of the next turn
this was necessary to work around a really strange behave.

dad_utils.cfg:
- several macros, should help us with new scenarios

replication.cfg
- moved some of the macros to the top, dunno if this helps the guy who've said that the wc
replication doesn't work for him
Attachments
DaDv0.2.1c.zip
see change.log above (same as .tar.gz)
(121.34 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
DaDv0.2.1c.tar.gz
see change.log above
(104.46 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
jg

Post by jg »

Yagyu wrote:I cannot recruit in first scenario, got most recent version of wesnoth and DaD
Have got same issue here... though I'll try changing the unit's name (it complained about a unknown unit in the log file). Are you sure you've got the latest version of this campaign on the campaign server?

jg
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Truper! Thanks so much for the praise. I'm flattered.

HH is one of my favorites to play because you have a lot of options and have many different choices to make. I actually like to send 3-4 Ghosts up to the Berserker Dwarf and then send another 3-5 Ghosts up to the cave dwarf. It takes longer to defeat the humans that way, but the caves aren't such a problem then. I might remove a couple of the villages in the caves, so if you don't go right for those dwarves, then it isn't a huge problem.

As far as length, my best time was beating the last leader in the 29th turn. Maybe we could shorten the length by like 5-10 turns, but HH is one of those scenarios that you shouldn't have to play more than once. The bonus feature is set up so that you should be happy with what you can accomplish on the first try and the gold and recallable units before that scenario don't change much anyway.

flava:
-Before I forget, thanks again for helping out!

-The gold almost works. I put gold=0 on Isle and it works how it should.

-About changing the gold, I don't want to totally screw anyone who can't beat more than 2 leaders. Maybe we can alter it a little though.
EDIT: We really could look into changing the bonus since. I just beat Isle very easily only using 250 gold. I want Elensefar to be a really hard scenario requiring a lot of gold. We need some scenarios to be hard while those in between can be easy, and not require too much gold usage. Isle should be a refreshingly easy scenario after fighting in HH and preparing for Elensefar. So, we could change the gold a little, but not too much.

-The temple events are funny. I like them a lot and they aren't huge surprises that mess upmake you want to start the scenario over.

-I still haven't played Invasion of Arendia. My concern is where the Campaign takes place. Where on the Wesnoth map does that one scenario take place? My plan was to have ???? go from Elensefar and head north-east, then head south to Weldyn where he can find Konrad fighting Asheviere. The scenario will split with several choices there, two of which leads you to Weldyn but the "good" ending has you stop before reaching the city.

Anyway, I don't want to shut down your idea, but I'm concerned about the geography.

EDIT: I finally played some of Invasion of Arendia (though it crashes on like the 3rd or 4th scenario), but at least now I know something about the geography. It would be a problem adding a map from Arendia into one of the middle scenarios of DaD, but one of the alternate endings to the campaign I was already planning has ???? leave Wesnoth to go far north to find it own land to forget about everything that has happened. One scenario that uses an Arendia map would be perfect for this, since it takes place far north of Wesnoth! That would be something like scenario 11b.

Everyone else (jg especially): I'm really at a loss about why some things aren't working. Please try to give complete error messages if you receive any. If what you said you would try works, jg, please give us a clue.
jg

Post by jg »

Ken Oh wrote:Everyone else (jg especially): I'm really at a loss about why some things aren't working. Please try to give complete error messages if you receive any. If what you said you would try works, jg, please give us a clue.
Ok, here it comes... :wink:

There is a problem with the macros in your version on the campaign server (the one I downloaded last). If you look at the Walking Corpse unit, you will see it uses a macro. The problem is, this macro has been defined with the same name, in the main-line unit: Wallking Corpse. That's why the engine doesn't look into the correct file (though it should IMO look into the user-made unit-file first), and so it can't find the "Walking Corpse_DaD". Same problem with the Soulless. Change the name of the macro a little (in your file), like adding a "_DaD" to the name of it, and it is fixed... :)

Hope it became clear to you...

BTW, I wonder how you did it? Maybe you have the 1.1.2a +snv? Which I don't have...

Oh, and cool campaign! I am enyoing it a lot...
Skizzaltix wrote: In the first scenario, I move the WCs onto villages, ad nothing happens... I thought they were supposed to turn the villagers into more of themselves?
Have you tried leaving the WC's one turn on the villages? The converting happens in a side turn[1].

jg

P.S:To any developer of "Forum Regular" reading this, why are there two "Walking Corpse" files? The "Walking_Corpse.cfg" and "Undead_Corpse_Walking.cfg"?

[1] To the developers: I think you should make it a little clearer that you have to wait one turn...
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

jg, thanks for the help! I'll change all that and upload it ASAP to avoid hearing the same problem from anyone else. I really hope it does the trick. I'll also make note of the WC needing a turn to replicate.

I don't have a Walking_Corpse.cfg file, at least not where I have the new dev version. I think you installed the new dev version over your old version without first deleting it. Undead_Corpse_Walking.cfg is only found in the pre-1.1.2a versions. But, if you just install the new one over the old one, you keep any old files that aren't replaced.

OK, it's up on the campaign server and here below. I also fixed the problem with the gold between HH and Isle.

I'm currently working on Scenario 7 along with trying to make ???? the last side in every scenario, which is something I've wanted to do for a while.
Attachments
DaDv0.2.1g.zip
(135.32 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

hi

i was sure that you will have a new version up and running... it was sadly not possible to go earlier online. anyway i made some little changes. no change.log this time as it wasn't really my intention to make a new version based on the old 0.2.1c ;)

this package contains an ache unit, which got a second melee attack with plaque. if you kill an enemy with that, then he will come back as vampire bat. i dunno if you like the idea or not.

the gold thing wasn't working for you? this is puzzling me, coz it works like a charme for me. but i will have a look in your version this weekend.

okay dunno what else to say...
cheers
Attachments
DaDv0.2.1d.zip
- several changes...
(122.88 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
flava_clown

Re: Feedback

Post by flava_clown »

Truper wrote:I finished Haunted Houses with something like 538 retained gold (I forget the precise number, but that is close enough). I had defeated 4 of the five leaders in Haunted Houses, and each is worth 35, so I expected to begin The Isle with 678 gold, but instead I think I had 1038. That's too much gold to begin any scenario. I'd also suggest that the enemies be able to recruit some level 2 units.
the maximum gold you can have now, should be 775 (300+300 bonus HH +175 [5*35] leader slain bonus).
but i agree like this and with all the wraith you will have, it's way too easy.
after HH i use nearly only ghosts/wraiths whatever i have left ;)
we should reduce the start gold from Isle maybe to 0 like this you are forced to kill at least one leader! (or maybe an if statement: if leader slain=0 then gold 150 else 0 + 300 + leader head bonus= maximum 475)
Truper wrote: This makes getting a WC factory going a challenge, but a challenge that must be overcome, since the number and stength of the opponents means that you *need* those Corpses.
the way i play it, doesn't require normaly WCs. okay sometimes some to give the ai something to do while i try to get the 2-3 leaders left. however i need about 45-50 turns to get them all! so it's not too long ;)
Truper wrote:I enjoyed the way the campaign incorporates some of the maps from HttT, and I am looking forward to findng out the rest of the story. The events from the temples on the Isle were funny - they need a bit of polish, but they did make me chuckle.
and not only from HttT also from TroW ... what do you mean with polish? what i don't like is, that the units are still selected if you these events happen. if i find a way to deselect them first, then i'll do it of course. as you can't see everything very well if a big part of the map is greyscale when the event happens.
however nice that someone else than me, like these events...
Truper wrote:I like the idea that Ache could be a free recruit at the beginning of later scenarios, but agree that bats are hard to keep alive. Perhaps Ache could be transformed into a special bat. How about giving him (her? it?) a ranged Ache attack? Maybe 3-3 cold. Or leadership? Or both?
leadership? would be good for '????' but for ache? btw SHE ;) i thought also that a ranged attack would be good. but why cold? anyway i made a version where ache good a second melee attack with plaque. since bats die damn easy i think it doesn't hurt to get some for free and like this you maybe you ache more instead of keeping her out of the battle.

Truper wrote:Thanks for making this campaign! It was the ending where you specifically asked for feedback that made me register and post, so perhaps I'll play the campaign again and make some mental notes as I go, so I can do a bit better job.
hehe i think, the idea is stolen from ANO or from IoA, but nice that it works and thanx for your feedback. maybe you can help with some balancing? everything is welcome...
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
jg

Post by jg »

Ken Oh wrote:I don't have a Walking_Corpse.cfg file, at least not where I have the new dev version. I think you installed the new dev version over your old version without first deleting it. Undead_Corpse_Walking.cfg is only found in the pre-1.1.2a versions. But, if you just install the new one over the old one, you keep any old files that aren't replaced.
:shock: Why didn't I come to think of that? Well, thanks for telling me...

jg
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Feedback

Post by Ken_Oh »

flava_clown wrote:the maximum gold you can have now, should be 775 (300+300 bonus HH +175 [5*35] leader slain bonus).
but i agree like this and with all the wraith you will have, it is way too easy.
after HH i use nearly only ghosts/wraiths whatever i have left ;)
we should reduce the start gold from Isle maybe to 0 like this you are forced to kill at least one leader! (or maybe an if statement: if leader slain=0 then gold 150 else 0 + 300 + leader head bonus= maximum 475)
Ah, now I see what it doesn't "work." It did work, but I never made it clear what I was looking for. I wanted 300 to be awarded just for starting Isle, but then a 35 gold on top of that only. I was just looking for (300 + 175 [5*35] leader slain bonus).

I'm going to try to finish some other scenarios and do that making ???? start not on side 1. I had trouble with it before and we're going to have a change a few things if I can make it like that (macros in utils folder).
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Hello

When I try to load this campaign, the game crashes. I'm using the latest version of Wesnoth and download the latest version of the campaign from the server. Its probably not relevant, but I'm using a mac, OS10.4.6.

I have tried most of the other campaigns and this has not happened before.

Any idea what the problem may be?

Thanks
Rothrorn the Wise
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

does it crash with an error message or without any note? do you have the new version of wesnoth installed over an old one? if so then this is maybe the problem. if there is a message before the crash, it would be helpful to know what it says. and where to search for the problem.

@Ken Oh: lol... if so then to set the gold to 0 does the trick and everybody is forced to kill at least one leader. if you don't want it that way, then set the gold to 300 and remove the "add 300" from the leaders_slain variable ;)
i think everyone shoulb be able to kill at least one leader. in other words we can let it how it is in 0.2.1g ... btw i would prefer if you stay with your naming (numbers only) and leave the letters for me ... like this is less confusing. numbers only: supported-official-version
numbers and a letter: unsupported-experimental-inofficial-modification :twisted:

i am not sure if i understand the other part of your entry but i've saved it and will read it later. ... anyway i was too busy the last days and i've wasted some of the time with the moveto-move_unit_fake problem, it won't work the way i want and the mainline campaigns have the same problem. so i guess there is no work around.
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

I'm not sure what you mean by having a new version installed over the old. When a new version comes out, I install it and delete the old one. Should I trash the preferences files etc?

As far as error messages goes, it offers to send a report to Apple, but I can copy and paste it to you if you like.

Thanks
Rothrorn the Wise
Truper

Post by Truper »

I'd be happy to help with balancing. I'll keep checking in on the thread for new version announcements.

All I meant about the temple events is that they were written by someone whose first language is not English. That isn't a problem, but I will help with some of the writing if you guys want me to.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Rothrorn: The preferences files shouldn't cause a problem AFAIK. Flava was talking about those people who install the game over old versions. He means that you should delete the entire folder first before installing the new one. It seems from what you're saying that you don't have an issue with this but I'm just explaining it to make sure.

Truper: Yeah, flava is from Spain and does a pretty good job in English I think for now. I wasn't going to worry about all the refining parts of the game until later. Notice how I'm not really telling the story because it's not 100%. For example, going to Elensefar isn't going to be a "punishment" as it says now, but I'm going to hold off on changing that until later. We've only got like 4-6 more scenarios left, so wait a few more weeks and we should be in full balancing mode.

Flava: About the gold thing...good idea. I don't quite understand how Wesnoth gold works so that's something I'll have to look back into. Anyway, like I said, I'm goign to be finishing up the rest of the scenarios pretty soon and then we can fix all the details. I'm going to leave scenario 11b to you though. ;) More on that later.
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Hello
Quick update - it doesn't crash if I start on medium difficulty - I usually play on easy since I'm crap :oops:

However I wasn't able to generate new units from villiages in the first scenario, despite what the bat says at the start.

Any idea why it would crash on easy but not medium?

Thanks
Rothrorn the Wise